On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Lani

Re: On a Personal Level--Coronavirus COVID-19 Cancellations, etc.

Post by Lani »

Well, we've got drive-in testing M-F here. Tests are sent to the Mainland, 3 day wait for results. Sounds good. Except you need to have insurance and: " To ensure judicious use of resources, health-care providers statewide are triaging and determining if their patients meet the criteria to initiate COVID-19 testing. Patients must have a physician’s order to be tested." The stringent requirements for being tested are still in place.

Meanwhile, county government is getting ready to have nonessential personnel work from home. By the time I get back to the office, I'll need to have IT transfer important files to my laptop.
Lani

Post by Lani »

More news from Kauai, more stupid medical decisions and lack of test kits that put our state at risk. Also, apparently while here, the tourists learned that someone close to them was diagnosed with covid.
The visiting couple arrived on Maui on a United Airlines direct flight from the Mainland, stayed at a hotel in Lahaina and started feeling symptoms shortly after arrival on Maui. Both were seen at urgent care facilities on Maui, where one tested negative for flu in a rapid flu test.
:snippity:
They were tested for the coronavirus at Wilcox Medical Center on March 12, after disclosing to healthcare providers they had been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 on the Mainland prior to travel.
:snippity:
Three of those people are Kauai health care workers who weren’t wearing proper protective equipment when they treated the couple. Those three people are in state-directed self-quarantine currently, according to health officials.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

so, will court case schedules be affected?

The wife just got a jury duty summons..
Princess foofypants

Post by Princess foofypants »

Realist and I are hunkering down and trying to err on the side of caution. Didn’t do our usual Friday date night dinner last night and stayed home instead. Ordered groceries for pickup instead of going to the store. Unfortunately they didn’t have a pick up time till Monday evening but we can deal though I suspect not everything on my list will be available. I’m guessing that any activity that gets us out of the house will like be a drive in the country just the two of us.

Still waiting to hear if my office is open Monday. They provided special fobs for our computers to allow us to work from home plus linked our cell phone to our office phone but Wall Street firms like to keep an eye on everything.

Pretty pissed if at all the fools who don’t take this seriously because they are “under 60 and immune”. For one thing it’s not true. Secondly, how dare they not think about who they might infect.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I went to the grocery store today just to pick up a few things. They were out of *everything*. I mean, cleaned. out. No meat, no eggs, no milk, no juice, no soup, no canned vegetables. It was some scary shit. They did have toilet paper, but nothing else.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Am I not allowed out at all?
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 pm Am I not allowed out at all?
Are you under quarantine?
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'd been making hurricane-preparation style runs last week and thought we were ready then hubs tells me he's out of lunch meat (something I never eat). I do have a pretty good supply of chicken breasts in the freezer, though.

I'm going to venture out now, before the stores are crowded*, and see if anything is left. If not, he's going to eat chicken salad and like it!

(he doesn't like it.)

*stop laughing at me.
ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 am
No. Feeling like anyone who goes out at all is judged.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:56 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:25 am
No. Feeling like anyone who goes out at all is judged.
Maybe it depends on why you are going out.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 pm I went to the grocery store today just to pick up a few things. They were out of *everything*. I mean, cleaned. out. No meat, no eggs, no milk, no juice, no soup, no canned vegetables. It was some scary shit. They did have toilet paper, but nothing else.
I saw something like that is Safeway yesterday. The End-Timers had made their run already. The Soup / Pasta aisle was cleaned out (except for Cream of X and the most Tony spag sauces). Tuna gone. But, baking goods, pop corn, and chips, not so much - all you want. Scads of hot dogs, breakfast cereal, and even coffee. Plenty of apples, and green bananas, but no potatoes. Lots of avacados and lettuce, but onions were almost gone. It felt like an episode of a cooking game show - make a meal with what's in the fridge - yarrow root, mustard, a can of anchovies, and red wine. And the wine aisle was quite well stocked. At least here. But, don't bother looking for V8 or sandwich bags.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby LOVES to grocery shop. Did you say, "DEALS"? Why buy 2 when 4 are cheaper? So, we are always ready for the apocalypse.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:48 am I'd been making hurricane-preparation style runs last week and thought we were ready then hubs tells me he's out of lunch meat (something I never eat). I do have a pretty good supply of chicken breasts in the freezer, though.

I'm going to venture out now, before the stores are crowded*, and see if anything is left. If not, he's going to eat chicken salad and like it!

(he doesn't like it.)

*stop laughing at me.
I'm awaiting your report. I went to your Publix yesterday at 7:30 AM and there was quite a crowd. Plenty in stock (except hand sanitizers). They only had three check-out lanes open, so there was a bit of a wait, since most folks had full carts. I only had half a dozen items, but as per usual, the 10 Or Fewer Items lanes were closed at that hour.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just got back from Pubix*. Not too crowded. Still quite a bit of food, although the cheaper brands are cleaned out. Got hubs lunch meat for his sandwiches and I picked up a few bottles of Mexican Pepsi, among other staples. But I forgot the damn mayo. Mustard will have to do.

Boy, people really give you the evil eye when they see you're wearing latex gloves.

I feel for the cashiers and baggers. I'd think they'd be wearing gloves at this point, but there's probably been a run on those, too.

*Yeah, I know it's Publix, but the first time daughter came to visit in FL, she caught a glimpse of the sign and said Pubix? and it's stuck ever since.
ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Everyone calls it Pubix.
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

And I thought I was unique (sad face).
ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:12 am And I thought I was unique (sad face).
:bighug:
Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I mentioned yesterday I have the Next Door app and clicked on a message about Covid-19 in our area. It was posted by the local health dept. Then it was infiltrated by a major covid-denier who posted a crazy you-tube video and insulted every reasonable person who questioned said video or remarked they were still taking precautions.

So instead of there being a nice local feed about what's going on in our little suburb of Ft. Myers re: Covid-19, the local HD choose to shut down the thread to keep people from being insulted. I don't know why they couldn't ban the guy from the convo but maybe this was easier?

This is why we can't have nice things.
ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:o
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 am I mentioned yesterday I have the Next Door app and clicked on a message about Covid-19 in our area. It was posted by the local health dept. Then it was infiltrated by a major covid-denier who posted a crazy you-tube video and insulted every reasonable person who questioned said video or remarked they were still taking precautions.

So instead of there being a nice local feed about what's going on in our little suburb of Ft. Myers re: Covid-19, the local HD choose to shut down the thread to keep people from being insulted. I don't know why they couldn't ban the guy from the convo but maybe this was easier?

All policy is driven by the actions of a few people.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm She's dead. Funerals are for the living. There are many ways to honor the dead. Your aunt won't even know that you weren't there.
Yeah, I get that. The other thing is that her three children were close in age to three of my siblings, so there was a lot of bonding there growing up. And, ironically, back in college my brother's wife was good friends with my cousin who's planning the funeral. She discovered that link when my brother brought her home to meet my folks and she was surprised to see a photo of her college friend on Mom's wall of photos.
Could you propose instead to keep the funeral group as small as possible and instead have a a commemoration event on the first anniversary of the aunt's death (or funeral), when this plague should be history?
Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 pm so, will court case schedules be affected?

The wife just got a jury duty summons..
This is what King County is doing:

"King County District Court asks jurors and interpreters not to come into any King County District Court courthouse if you:

Are sick or experiencing flu-like symptoms such as a cough, fever or other respiratory problem
Are over 60
Are pregnant
Have underlying health conditions, including heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, weakened immune system or are on immunosuppressant drugs
Have family members in any of the above categories
"
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:37 am I mentioned yesterday I have the Next Door app and clicked on a message about Covid-19 in our area. It was posted by the local health dept. Then it was infiltrated by a major covid-denier who posted a crazy you-tube video and insulted every reasonable person who questioned said video or remarked they were still taking precautions.

And when the responsible people take reasonable precautions to “flatten the curve,” and the epidemic is not as bad as it could have been, the deniers will be like, “See! This was all just a hoax!” It’s infuriating.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

It was announced here yesterday that UPMC* has developed an effective test that will be ready this week, and they will start testing in the South Side, probably at their Sports Health Center. (I posted a link on the Disease thread.) Since then, there's a thread up at Next Door about it and people are getting ready to go for the test. The thing is that this is being developed and made locally so there are a limited number. They will be able to test a few hundred people a week, but only patients who are symptomatic and with referral from a physician approved by the team at UPMC. But people jumped on this. I even got an email from a friend who linked to the email I got from UPMC.

I'm also getting emails by the dozens, as I'm sure most of you are, from local and national businesses that I deal with, assuring me of the steps they are taking to protect their employees and their customers. I've also started getting some that are cutting back on hours, including one of our major grocery stores. Chico's is only going to be open six hours a day at all stores. I'm sure there will be more of that, too.

*University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. They have also said earlier that they prepare for this kind of situation on an ongoing basis and have been ramping up for this for more than a month.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Our ND group had the opposite reaction. Some idiot poo pooed the idea of isolation that was recommended by the state and he was absolutely swamped with links and statements and actual facts. After about a dozen times of his conspiracy theory being refuted, he backed down and apologized and we haven't heard from him since. I don't actually give a shit if he was sincere or not, but at least he isn't posting unchallenged garbage any more. It might help that the large state teaching hospital is in my neighborhood group so there was an entire contingent of infectious disease docs who chimed in.

Return to “Coronavirus”