Coronavirus and the election

Who is most likely to survive a Coronavirus infection?

Biden
65%
Sanders
7%
Trump
28%

Total votes: 54

Slim Cognito

Re: Coronavirus and the election

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 am
If Republicans want to waste money trying to screw with elections in California, give 'em another shovel!

How impossible is it for the California Legislature to convene and make the whatever it needs to be making all this moot? Democrats have well over the 66% they need to keep Republicans from doing anything to stop them and then, who here is in any doubt a democrat with a pulse and 17 felonies will beat Trump anyway in California?

I'd be a little more concerned if this was Ohio or Pennsylvania.
That was my first thought too. Why would the RNC waste resources on California? As far as the electoral college goes, trump has a snowball's chance in hell of winning there.

Actually, I think the snowball's chances are better.
ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Because it’s no longer the RNC but the TNC, and T is a total blithering moron.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 am
Why would the RNC waste resources on California?
It's Klayman-esque: it isn't about winning; it's about filing the lawsuit to rally the base against them ebil librals and their illegal voting harvesting. P.S.: Send money.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

kate520 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 am
Because it’s no longer the RNC but the TNC, and T is a total blithering moron.
Send shovels.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

US State Department providing support to Trump re-election with a bit of help from Murdoch

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-05- ... t/12282994

The American embassy has held private meetings with Canberra to clarify a US State Department document that was used by a Sydney newspaper to link the COVID-19 pandemic to a Chinese government laboratory despite a lack of direct evidence.

Key points:

The dossier is a deniable US State Department document known as a "non-paper"
It is a timeline of dot points about Chinese Government behaviour, sourced to publicly available media and scholarly articles and contains no government information
Australian intelligence officials are concerned the dossier was an attempt to influence the global debate about the origin of the pandemic
The so-called "Western governments dossier" used by the Saturday Telegraph and sister newspaper the Daily Telegraph was, in fact, a widely distributed — and deniable — background document created by the US State Department.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I hate these people. They are :evil:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Don't read this if you don't have a strong stomach. :sick:

The general election scenario that Democrats are dreading
"We are about to see the best economic data we’ve seen in the history of this country," says a top former economic adviser to Obama.
By RYAN LIZZA and DANIEL LIPPMAN 05/26/2020 04:30 AM EDT

In early April, Jason Furman, a top economist in the Obama administration and now a professor at Harvard, was speaking via Zoom to a large bipartisan group of top officials from both parties. The economy had just been shut down, unemployment was spiking and some policymakers were predicting an era worse than the Great Depression. The economic carnage seemed likely to doom President Donald Trump’s chances at reelection.

Furman, tapped to give the opening presentation, looked into his screen of poorly lit boxes of frightened wonks and made a startling claim. “We are about to see the best economic data we’ve seen in the history of this country,” he said. The former Cabinet secretaries and Federal Reserve chairs in the Zoom boxes were confused, though some of the Republicans may have been newly relieved and some of the Democrats suddenly concerned. “Everyone looked puzzled and thought I had misspoken,” Furman said in an interview. Instead of forecasting a prolonged Depression-level economic catastrophe, Furman laid out a detailed case for why the months preceding the November election could offer Trump the chance to brag — truthfully — about the most explosive monthly employment numbers and gross domestic product growth ever.

Since the Zoom call, Furman has been making the same case to anyone who will listen, especially the close-knit network of Democratic wonks who have traversed the Clinton and Obama administrations together, including top members of the Biden campaign. Furman’s counterintuitive pitch has caused some Democrats, especially Obama alumni, around Washington to panic. “This is my big worry,” said a former Obama White House official who is still close to the former president. Asked about the level of concern among top party officials, he said, “It’s high — high, high, high, high.” And top policy officials on the Biden campaign are preparing for a fall economic debate that might look very different than the one predicted at the start of the pandemic in March. “They are very much aware of this,” said an informal adviser.

Furman’s case begins with the premise that the 2020 pandemic-triggered economic collapse is categorically different than the Great Depression or the Great Recession, which both had slow, grinding recoveries. Instead, he believes, the way to think about the current economic drop-off, at least in the first two phases, is more like what happens to a thriving economy during and after a natural disaster: a quick and steep decline in economic activity followed by a quick and steep rebound.

The Covid-19 recession started with a sudden shuttering of many businesses, a nationwide decline in consumption and massive increase in unemployment. But starting around April 15, when economic reopening started to spread but the overall numbers still looked grim, Furman noticed some data that pointed to the kind of recovery that economists often see after a hurricane or industrywide catastrophe like the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Consumption and hiring started to tick up “in gross terms, not in net terms,” Furman said, describing the phenomenon as a “partial rebound.” The bounce back “can be very very fast, because people go back to their original job, they get called back from furlough, you put the lights back on in your business. Given how many people were furloughed and how many businesses were closed you can get a big jump out of that. It will look like a V.”
More: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/2 ... ats-281470
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I read it and I think it's nonsense.

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Hope so Stern!

Update from Marc Elias (he doesn't make a lot of on-camera appearances, hope he'll do more):

The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman: “This Is So Unfair to Me”: Trump Whines About His COVID-19 Victimhood as Campaign Flails

Raging at campaign manager Brad Parscale and Joe Scarborough, Trump attempts a campaign reset. But “Trump can’t pivot to a different strategy,” says an adviser. Because he’s the problem.

As he headed into Memorial Day weekend, Donald Trump complained that he was COVID-19’s biggest victim. “He was just in a fucking rage,” said a person who spoke with Trump late last week. “He was saying, ‘This is so unfair to me! Everything was going great. We were cruising to reelection!” Even as the death toll neared 100,000 and unemployment ranks swelled to over 38 million, Trump couldn’t see the pandemic as anything other than something that had happened to him. “The problem is he has no empathy,” the adviser said. Trump complained that he should have been warned about the virus sooner. “The intelligence community let me down!” he said. ...

Trump’s outburst reflected his growing frustration that, at this stage of the race, he is losing to Joe Biden. According to a Republican briefed on the campaign’s internal polls, Trump is trailing Biden by double digits among women over 50 in six swing states. “Trump knows the numbers are bad. It’s why he’s thrashing about,” the Republican said. ...

But with formerly solid-red Georgia in play, Trump has conceded to reality and is shaking up his campaign. This morning the campaign promoted former White House political director Bill Stepien to deputy campaign manager and named Stephanie Alexander, the Midwest political director, to the post of campaign chief of staff. The moves are being seen by many in Trumpworld as a demotion for Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, who has been at odds with Trump for weeks over his spending and the president’s deteriorating poll numbers. “Trump has been screaming at Brad, ‘How many fucking times do I have to tell you I don’t like this! Are you fucking stupid?’” said a Republican who’s overheard the conversations. (“Your source is wrong,” a campaign spokesperson said in an email. “The President never said that about Brad.”) “Once you get on the wrong side of the mountain with Trump, it’s hard to get back,” said a Trump friend. ...

The problem for Stepien, though, is that no amount of messaging or get-out-the-vote efforts can shade the reality that Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic has plunged the country into a once-in-a-century economic crisis. It’s a point Stepien tacitly made when I interviewed him before the 2018 midterms. “Bottom line is Americans want security. They want to feel safe in the realm of national security, and they want to feel economically secure,” Stepien said at the time. ...

But the biggest obstacle standing in the way of a Trump-campaign reset is the candidate. “Trump is doing it to himself by tweeting idiotic conspiracy theories about Joe Scarborough. Women are tired of this shit,” said another former West Wing official. An outside adviser agreed. “Trump can’t pivot to a different strategy,” the adviser told me. “He only knows one strategy—which is attack. It worked in 2016. But now it’s not what people are looking for.” The adviser told me that Trump’s New York friends are planning an intervention to get him to stop tweeting about the Morning Joe cohost.

And when he’s not feeling helpless or aggrieved, Trump continues to cling to magical thinking. “He lives in his own fucking world,” the outside adviser said. ...
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If all these advisers, et al, believe all these things about Individual-1, why do they have anything to do with him? Power, money, no soul, no character.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

pipistrelle wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:05 am
If all these advisers, et al, believe all these things about Individual-1, why do they have anything to do with him? Power, money, no soul, no character.
Because they view him as the means to achieve their ends. They have an agenda and Trump is the guy in power.

Just like I tell people that I support Biden because it’s not just an old white guy, it’s 2 or 3 Supreme Court justices, a couple of hundred federal justices, a foreign policy and State Department, etc.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

bob

Post by bob »

The RNC and CRP too also filed a similar suit.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
New York Times: Amid Pandemic and Upheaval, New Cyber Risks to the Presidential Election

Fear of the coronavirus is speeding up efforts to allow voting from home, but some of them pose security risks and may make it easier for Vladimir V. Putin, or others, to hack the vote.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
AFP: Biden says will not hold campaign rallies due to pandemic

Wilmington (United States) (AFP) - US Democrat Joe Biden said Tuesday he will not hold presidential campaign rallies during the coronavirus pandemic, an extraordinary declaration that stands in stark contrast with Donald Trump who has already held large campaign gatherings.

"This is the most unusual campaign I think in modern history," the former vice president said during a question-and-answer session with reporters in Delaware to discuss the pandemic and ways to mitigate its spread.

"I'm going to follow the doc's orders -- not just for me but for the country -- and that means that I am not going to be holding rallies," said Biden, adding he has not yet been tested for COVID-19.

It was not clear if Biden, 77, was referring to a personal physician who has recommended he stay off the trail out of health concerns for him and attendees, or the US government guidelines that urge Americans to not participate in events where large crowds gather.

And he did not say whether his decision could change pending an improvement in mitigation efforts in the coming months.

Biden's announcement comes amid growing alarm about America's failure to contain a crisis which has already killed more than 126,000 people nationwide, with top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci warning Congress that daily infections could more than double to 100,000 without a sufficiently robust response.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Biden shouldn't debate either unless trump wears a face mask. trump can only gain from a debate, otherwise he's shown the world what he is.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I've said that all along "I see no need to give the President* a platform to lie to the American People." and let him try to respond to that.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo: Trump and Biden campaigns shift focus to coronavirus as pandemic surges

The Trump and Biden presidential campaigns now see the coronavirus response as the preeminent force shaping the results of November’s election, prompting both camps to try to refocus their campaigns more heavily on the pandemic, according to officials and advisers of both campaigns.

Advisers to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden see the covid-19 crisis as perhaps the clearest way yet to contrast the former vice president with President Trump, using the stumbling response and renewed surge in cases as ways to paint Trump as uninformed, incapable of empathy and concerned only about his own political standing.

Trump’s advisers, by contrast, are seeking ways to reframe his response to the coronavirus — even as the president himself largely seeks to avoid the topic because he views it as a political loser. They are sending health officials to swing states, putting doctors on TV in regional markets where the virus is surging, crafting messages on an economic recovery and writing talking points for allies to deliver to potential voters.

The goal is to convince Americans that they can live with the virus — that schools should reopen, professional sports should return, a vaccine is likely to arrive by the end of the year and the economy will continue to improve.

White House officials also hope Americans will grow numb to the escalating death toll and learn to accept tens of thousands of new cases a day, according to three people familiar with the White House’s thinking, who requested anonymity to reveal internal deliberations. Americans will “live with the virus being a threat,” in the words of one of those people, a senior administration official.

“They’re of the belief that people will get over it or if we stop highlighting it, the base will move on and the public will learn to accept 50,000 to 100,000 new cases a day,” said a former administration official in touch with the campaign.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

When hospitals are overwhelmed it is going to lead the news.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Benjy Sarlin
@BenjySarlin
·
12m
Okay! What’s the plan? https://nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna123203 ... PsmQlpqwPK
Quote Tweet

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· 1h
SCHOOLS MUST OPEN IN THE FALL!!!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The Lincoln Project
@ProjectLincoln
·
14m
Now we know for sure it's unsafe to open schools in the fall.
Quote Tweet

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· 1h
SCHOOLS MUST OPEN IN THE FALL!!!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The Bishop
@BillBishopKHOU
·
38m
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner says he’s urging the Republican Party of Texas again to not have an in-person convention at the GRB and instead, go virtual. Turner says every convention or conference at the GRB has been canceled or rescheduled to 2021 with the exception of 1.#khou
GRB is the George R. Brown Convention Center next to Discovery Green where the recent protest marches started.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The Bishop
@BillBishopKHOU
·
26m
Mayor Turner says he's concerned about the health of local hospitality workers involved with the convention. He also says the Republican Party of Texas needs to keep in mind GOP attendees could be exposed to the virus here and then take it back to their home districts. #khou

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:05 pm
The Bishop
@BillBishopKHOU
·
26m
Mayor Turner says he's concerned about the health of local hospitality workers involved with the convention. He also says the Republican Party of Texas needs to keep in mind GOP attendees could be exposed to the virus here and then take it back to their home districts. #khou
But only Liberals get Corona Virus, so no big problem.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:boxing:
Mayor Turner threatens to shut down Republican convention if they violate COVID-19 rules

https://abc13.com/mayor-turner-harris-c ... n/6302602/
"We expect all of these rules to be strictly adhered to, if this convention should go forward, there will be health inspectors and monitors that will be at the convention the entire time," said Turner.

Those rules include social distancing guidelines and information on delegates names, hotels and hometowns.

"To the extent that any of these measures are not adhered to, and adhered to in the strictest of terms, then the health inspectors will have the authority to immediately close the convention at that point," the mayor said.

All of the conventions that were scheduled to be at the convention center will be canceled until next year with the exception of the Texas GOP's in-person convention that is set for July 16.
Many of the delegates are expected to show phony medical excuses to try to get out of wearing masks. :roll:

Return to “Coronavirus”