Coronavirus and the election

Who is most likely to survive a Coronavirus infection?

Biden
65%
Sanders
7%
Trump
28%

Total votes: 54

Addie

Re: Coronavirus and the election

Post by Addie »

Newsweek: Andrew Cuomo Overtakes Bernie Sanders in Odds to Be Democratic Candidate Amid New York Governor's Pandemic Response

Betting odds have pushed New York Governor Andrew Cuomo ahead of Democratic presidential candidate Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont to be the party's nominee to take on President Donald Trump.

Although Cuomo is not in the running for the Democratic nomination, more people are putting their money on the New York governor as he takes the lead on managing the coronavirus crisis in pandemic's U.S. epicenter. But former Vice President Joe Biden remains to be the clear favorite for the Democratic nomination.

An average of recent betting odds compiled by Real Clear Politics shows Cuomo with a 5.6 percent chance of becoming the Democratic presidential nominee, while Sanders trails with an average of 3.6 percent. Biden is far ahead however, with an average of 85.8 percent, while former 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, who is not seeking the party's nomination, places second with an average of 6.3 percent.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

tencats

Post by tencats »

Trump campaign threatens legal action over liberal super PAC ad
3/25/20 05:54 PM EDT
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... wsource=cl
President Trump’s reelection campaign is threatening legal action against television stations in key battleground states if they continue airing an ad cut by the liberal super PAC Priorities USA alleging that the president called the coronavirus a “hoax.”

Alex Cannon, the legal counsel for Trump’s reelection campaign, sent a letter to television stations in key battleground states where the ad is running demanding they “cease and desist” from airing the ad if they want to “avoid costly and time consuming litigation.”

“Given the foregoing, should you fail to immediately cease broadcasting PUSA’s ad ‘Exponential Threat’, Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. will have no choice but to pursue all legal remedies available to it in law and in equity” the letter states. “We will not stand idly by and allow you to broadcast false, deceptive, and misleading information concerning President’s Trump’s healthcare positions without consequence.”

Priorities USA is putting $6 million behind the ad, which is running on television stations in Florida, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

The ad, which is titled “Exponential Threat,” splices together different audio clips of Trump downplaying the virus over a graphic showing the number of cases on the rise.

"The coronavirus, this is their new hoax,” Trump says in the ad. “We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear. When you have 15 people and within a couple of days is gonna be down to close to zero. We really think we've done a great job in keeping it down to a minimum. I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand. No, I don't take responsibility."https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... wsource=cl

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

I'd pitch in on a gofundme for that ad to run in all 50 states.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Miami Herald: Florida held its primary despite coronavirus. Two Broward poll workers tested positive
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm
That ad is going around the Twitterverse like mad.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:07 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:53 pm
That ad is going around the Twitterverse like mad.
Gee, it's almost as if the OSG's efforts to keep the ad away from the people has resulted in drawing more attention to the ad than if they'd done nothing. Of course, being that the OSG only hires the very best legal minds available to someone who doesn't listen and doesn't pay their bills, he knows that no one could have seen anything like this coming and it's all very unfair to him.
Sekrit Stuffs!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Utah.gov
@UtahGov
·
5m
In order to better accommodate social distancing measures that help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Gov. Gary R. Herbert has issued an Executive Order suspending certain sections of state statute regarding requirements on signature gathering. https://governor.utah.gov/2020/03/26/go ... gathering/
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: CNN to host town hall with Joe Biden on coronavirus

bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm
So Mr. Harrow's argument is legit. One can never tell these days.
I want to amend my answer slightly.

I'm not sure the author fully contemplated a scenario in which, due to state-level hijinks, just enough purple-ish states borked their electors to deprive the democratic nominee of a majority of electors. Meaning the House would resolve the election -- a process that currently would favor the impeached president.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

woodworker

Post by woodworker »

bob wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm
Interesting. Please discuss...using small words I can understand.
1. The impeached president's term automatically under the Constitution ends on January 20. If there's no election, come January, hail Acting President Pelosi (assuming she's again elected as the House's next Speaker)!
2. There is no federal election for the presidency; there are 51 elections not under the impeached president's control.
3. Republicans don't have trifecta control (governor and both legislative chambers) in enough states (with enough electoral votes) to pass laws that would give the impeached president another term.
4. Related, Republicans don't have enough governorships in enough states (with enough electoral votes) to send a slate of electors that would give the impeached president another term.

I posted this on March 18 on Daily Kos:

If no election, there there will be no sitting House members — all serve two year terms and IIRC all expire sometime in the beginning of January 2021. Next is line is the most senior sitting senator of the then majority party, 53-47 (including independent who caucus with the democrats). Which is where this gets complicated. Right now, the republicans are the majority party in the Senate. However, there are 23 republican senate seats up and, IIRC, 9 democratic seats up. If there is no election, none of those seats gets filled so the republicans hold 30 senate seats and the democrats hold 38 seats, which makes the democrats on January 20 the majority party and Senator Leahy (Vermont), the longest serving democratic senator, the President. This does not take into account if any replacement senators are named by governors — I am too brain dead to do the math.
bring out the tumbrils -- lots of them.

bob

Post by bob »

woodworker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:14 pm
If there is no election, none of those seats gets filled so the republicans hold 30 senate seats and the democrats hold 38 seats, which makes the democrats on January 20 the majority party and Senator Leahy (Vermont), the longest serving democratic senator, the President.
It is customary that the majority party's most senior member serve as the Senate's president pro tem. But not in fact required.

I believe that, if we were in a situation in which an incoming rump Senate knew there would be an acting president on January 20, the majority party would elect someone other than Leahy.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Also, assuming no Democratic Senators die from COVID-19 and get replaced by Republicans.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters: New York's Cuomo postpones primary election as coronavirus cases keep growing

(Reuters) - New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Saturday he was postponing the state’s April 28 presidential primary to June 23 as its number of coronavirus cases climbed to 52,318 and deaths to 728.
Adding:
Vanity Fair: Joe Biden Thinks All-Mail Ballots Are “Worth Looking At, Quickly”

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays this election.

Addie

Post by Addie »

KSHB: Kansas democrats to hold May primary completely by mail

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Help bring it home Foggy!
Over the past week, the two main super PACs supporting Democratic and Republican candidates for the Senate have made a combined $140 million in advertising reservations for the fall, and where they’re spending tells us where party insiders believe the battle for the Senate will be fought: in North Carolina, Iowa, Arizona, Colorado and Maine.

At the moment, the most expensive of those races is in North Carolina, where Senator Thom Tillis, a Republican freshman, is facing a challenge from Cal Cunningham, an Army veteran and Democratic former state senator. Senate Majority PAC, the group supporting Democrats, announced this week that it would make a $25.6 million reservation in the state. Senate Leadership Fund, the Republican-aligned super PAC, had booked nearly $22 million the week before.

Before the two groups began spending, North Carolina had already seen an influx of money, largely from other Democratic groups. Of the $20 million spent already in the North Carolina Senate race, $16 million came from Democratic groups, according to Advertising Analytics, an ad tracking firm.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/us/p ... Maine.html
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Pocket change.

When Tillis ran against Kay Hagan in 2014 both sides spent way more than that, around $35 million each. Spending money didn't get the W for Kay, who passed away in any event before the term ran out.

She ran as Republican-lite, and it was a disaster. Is Cal gonna run as Republican-lite? :cantlook:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
Biden Calls for Democratic Convention to Be Delayed Because of Virus

The former vice president said the convention should be moved from mid-July to August, becoming the most prominent Democrat to urge such a postponement.

WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Wednesday night called for moving the Democratic National Convention from mid-July to August, making him the most prominent member of his party to say the convention must be rescheduled because of the coronavirus outbreak.

“I doubt whether the Democratic convention is going to be able to be held in mid-July, early July,” Mr. Biden told Jimmy Fallon on “The Tonight Show.” “I think it’s going to have to move into August.”

Mr. Fallon had not asked Mr. Biden about the convention’s timing. The former vice president was responding to a question about how the virus would affect the election.

Katie Peters, a spokeswoman for the Democratic National Convention Committee, said after Mr. Biden’s remarks that she expected the committee to reveal more details about changes to convention plans by the end of this week. ...

Senior Democratic officials believe Mr. Biden would much prefer to hold a traditional convention attended by thousands as opposed to a virtual convention in which he receives the party’s presidential nomination without a made-for-television event. President Trump, who like Mr. Biden hopes to have his nomination be a televised coronation, has pushed Republicans to maintain plans for their convention, which is set to take place in August in Charlotte, N.C.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

So which campaign will be the first to put their logo on a face mask for free distribution, and how fo you think that would go over?

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: 'It's a sh-- sandwich': Republicans rage as Florida becomes a nightmare for Trump

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am
So which campaign will be the first to put their logo on a face mask for free distribution, and how fo you think that would go over?
Don't think for a moment trump hasn't suggested it.

And his trumpanzees would have snapped them up.

If I was forced to choose between walking through a COVID ward wearing a MAGA mask or no mask at all, I'd have to take a few minutes to consider.
ImageImageImage x4

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 am
If I was forced to choose between walking through a COVID ward wearing a MAGA mask or no mask at all, I'd have to take a few minutes to consider.
I’d go bare. It wouldn’t be the first time I’d be putting my life on the line for my country.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Addie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 am
Politico: 'It's a sh-- sandwich': Republicans rage as Florida becomes a nightmare for Trump
And yet, Floridians will send Rick Scott, the person who is responsible for this mess, back to Washington as a Senator when he comes up for reelection. Republicans have nothing to worry about, it's all about timing. Floridians don't have the attention span of a gnat.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

RVInit wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:27 am
Addie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 am
And yet, Floridians will send Rick Scott, the person who is responsible for this mess, back to Washington as a Senator when he comes up for reelection. Republicans have nothing to worry about, it's all about timing. Floridians don't have the attention span of a gnat.
(adjusting tinfoil hat) You'll never convince me Scott doesn't have some sort of election protection racket going on. The guy never won an election without a recount and every single one reeked of fraud.
ImageImageImage x4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 am
Chilidog wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am
Don't think for a moment trump hasn't suggested it.

And his trumpanzees would have snapped them up.

Beware future price gauging on red color to cover whatever the letters may be ;)

Return to “Coronavirus”