Coronavirus and the election

Who is most likely to survive a Coronavirus infection?

Biden
62%
Sanders
8%
Trump
31%

Total votes: 52

Chilidog

Coronavirus and the election

Post by Chilidog »

Another poll.

ZekeB

Re: Coronavirus and the election

Post by ZekeB »

Trump. The wicked never die.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:40 pm
:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was thinking about this very subject earlier this afternoon. All three men are in the demographic of those hit hardest by the virus. Plus, they are constantly interacting with people from around the U.S. so they are most likely to be exposed to all sorts of viruses. I would be shocked if all three do not get sick.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know Biden's the oldest, but, once you hit 60 you have all varying levels of health. I turn 63 this spring. Other than being deaf as a doornail and arthritic, I'm pretty healthy and don't take meds other than for low thyroid. On the other hand, hubs has had a heart condition since his 40s and we've lost track of all his MIs. Thanks to Obamacare, he is still with us and doing pretty good. But I don't know how well he'd handle something like the coronavirus. He smoked most of his adult life.

That said, Biden looks to be the healthiest*. Sanders doesn't look unhealthy but just knowing he had a heart attack a few months ago and knowing what stress does to hubs makes me uneasy.

I have no freakin' clue how trump still manages to stand (semi) upright. He really must have hit the healthy gene pool lottery because he should have hit the mat a decade ago.

*disclaimer: looking the healthiest doesn't prove anything.
ImageImageImage x4

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

ZekeB wrote:
:yeah:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

ZekeB wrote:
Nope, they just smell that way.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Trump. Cockroaches never die from anything.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

TV's Frank's still got it.
ImageImageImage x4

kate520

Post by kate520 »

This meme is floating around. It is of course false but dangerous because it sounds like a conspiracy.
Every election year has a disease

SARS 2004, AVIAN 2008, SWINE 2010, MERS 2012, EBOLA 2014, ZIKA 2016, EBOLA 2018, CORONA 2020

Coincidences?”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN20S2X0

I’ve seen it on Facebook and Twitter and both Mr520 and sprout have asked me if it’s true. At least we’ve raised Sprout right. 😁
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico
Sanders doesn’t plan to limit rallies amid coronavirus outbreak

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Sunday acknowledged that he and his presidential opponents are in an age group that is more vulnerable to the coronavirus outbreak but said he wouldn’t limit his activities.

Asked on CNN’s “State of the Union” whether he, former Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump should limit travel and avoid crowds, as has been recommended for older Americans, Sanders replied: “In the best of all possible worlds, maybe. But right now, we're running as hard as we can.”

He cited his three rallies on Saturday and said he’s holding two more Sunday.

“I’ve been working really, really hard,” he said. “Look, this is the most consequential election in the modern history of the United States of America. Trump, in my view, is a president who is a liar, who is running a corrupt administration, who does not understand the Constitution of the United States, who thinks he's above the law. He has to be beaten.” ...

The Vermont senator’s aides in recent days have emphasized the length and frequency of his campaign events compared to Biden's, but Sanders batted away a question about whether his Democratic opponent is unable to handle the rigors of the campaign.

“No, no,” he said. “What we’re talking about is my schedule. … Joe Biden is a friend of mine, and Joe and I have disagreements on the issues. I do not make personal attacks on Joe.”
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

kate520 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 pm
This meme is floating around. It is of course false but dangerous because it sounds like a conspiracy.
Every election year has a disease

SARS 2004, AVIAN 2008, SWINE 2010, MERS 2012, EBOLA 2014, ZIKA 2016, EBOLA 2018, CORONA 2020

Coincidences?”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN20S2X0

I’ve seen it on Facebook and Twitter and both Mr520 and sprout have asked me if it’s true. At least we’ve raised Sprout right. 😁
Snopes has the facts.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

“In the best of all possible worlds, maybe.
But I thought the whole message is we can have the best of all possible worlds?

I also wish Bernie would stop referring to "in modern history" as in "Trump is the most corrupt President in modern history." He is the worst in American history. I guess the rote lines are hard to change.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

Palm Beach Post: Trump in Palm Beach: He doesn’t shy from crowds through coronavirus scare

President Donald Trump is an admitted germaphobe, but even with the coronavirus on everyone’s mind, that hasn’t stopped him from glad-handling people during fundraisers that brought in millions this weekend for his re-election campaign.

As fear of mass infection of coronavirus at large gatherings prompted more cancellations of concerts, classes, sporting events and religious services over the weekend, President Donald Trump glad-handed with over 1,000 donors to his re-election campaign, shaking hands and mingling with guests at at Mar-a-Lago.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin »

That's because rich people germs understand the etiquette of not showing the laisse-faire of infecting The Great Sandworm. Only parvenu, poor people germs would have the lesse majeste of daring to muscle in…...

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

2004 SARS
2008 AVIAN
2010 SWINE
2012 MERS
2014 EBOLA
2016 ZIKA
2018 EBOLA
2020 CORONA
that looks like the track list on an aphex twin album

(trump will die of the corona virus on labor day and no one will even notice until after he wins in november)
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman
“He’s Definitely Melting Down Over This”: Trump, Germaphobe in Chief, Struggles to Control the Covid-19 Story

Publicly, he sees it as yet another (“Fake News”) media war; privately, he worries about virus-carrying journalists on Air Force One. But cancel his rallies? “I’m not going to do it,” he says.

Ever since the coronavirus exploded outside of China at the end of January, Donald Trump has treated the public health crisis as a media war that he could win with the right messaging. But with cases now documented in 34 states and markets plunging, Republicans close to Trump fear his rosy assessments are fundamentally detached from reality in ways that will make the epidemic worse. “He is trying to control the narrative and he can’t,” a former West Wing official told me.

The problem is that the crisis fits into his preexisting and deeply held worldview—that the media is always searching for a story to bring him down. Covid-19 is merely the latest instance, and he’s reacting in familiar ways. “So much FAKE NEWS!” Trump tweeted this morning. “He wants Justice to open investigations of the media for market manipulation,” a source close to the White House told me. Trump is also frustrated with his West Wing for not getting a handle on the news cycle. “He’s very frustrated he doesn’t have a good team around him,” a former White House official said. On Friday he forced out acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and replaced him with former House Freedom Caucus chair Mark Meadows. Trump thought the virus was “getting beyond Mick,” a person briefed on the internal discussions said. Trump has also complained that economic adviser Larry Kudlow is not doing enough to calm jittery markets. Last week Kudlow refused Trump’s request that Kudlow hold an on-camera press briefing, sources said. “Larry didn’t want to have to take questions about coronavirus,” a person close to Kudlow told me. “Larry’s not a doctor. How can he answer questions about something he doesn’t know?”

Trump found a willing surrogate in Kellyanne Conway, but Conway’s dubious claim on Friday that the virus “is being contained” only made the P.R. situation worse.

Trump’s efforts to take control of the story himself have so far failed. A source said Trump was pleased with ratings for the Fox News town hall last Thursday, but he was furious with how he looked on television. “Trump said afterwards that the lighting was bad,” a source briefed on the conversation said. “He said, ‘We need Bill Shine back in here. Bill would never allow this.’”

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Silver lining (?) is all the debate about Democratic candidate electability just became moot.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The coronavirus is Trump’s Chernobyl
On Saturday, April 26, 1986, the No. 4 reactor at Chernobyl power station exploded just outside the town of Pripyat in the Soviet Union. During the crucial early hours of the disaster, a cascading series of mistakes exacerbated the emergency. Subordinates who feared their superiors kept quiet. Superiors who feared contradicting the prevailing mythology of the state — and its leader — bent and broke reality. They made a series of smaller lies to protect the big lie: that the Soviet Union had everything under control.

During crises, ideology kills. Protecting myths, rather than people, is deadly.

The rapidly worsening coronavirus outbreak is President Trump’s Chernobyl. By putting dangerous myths above objective facts, Trump has turned the crucial early phases of government response into a disaster. Some public health experts in government have undoubtedly kept quiet, having seen repeatedly what happens to those who publicly contradict this president. And Trump himself, along with those who surround him, has tried to construct a reality that simply does not exist.

Over the past month, President Trump has regularly sought to downplay the coronavirus threat with a mix of facts and false statements.

Those lies will kill.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... chernobyl/
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Mag - Jonathan Chait
We Are Watching the Probable Demise of Trump’s Reelection in Real Time

President Trump’s political career has consisted of a series of self-generated crises that he has improbably survived, from insinuating that John McCain was a coward for having been captured during the war that Trump himself dodged to the three-year-long high-crime (and misdemeanor) spree. Throughout these disasters, Trump has maintained a floor of support that is apparently immutable and just high enough to give him a plausible chance of reelection. Yet the pair of crises now enveloping the administration appear to be of a completely different political magnitude than anything that has faced Trump to date. It may now really, finally, truly be over for him.

The obvious factor distinguishing the coronavirus and the probable recession from the Access Hollywood tape, firing James Comey, and all the rest is that they have a tangible impact on the lives of Americans. (Or, to put it more precisely, Americans who have voting representation, unlike Puerto Ricans.) Trump’s continuous din of scandals and gaffes is unintelligible to many Americans who either do not follow the news closely, or follow Trump-controlled news organs, and who have instead judged his presidency by the direct experience of peace and prosperity. Trump has done one very big thing very well: He rebranded the economic expansion he inherited as his own creation, like the licensing deals he makes to splash the Trump name over hotels and resorts other people built. Trump’s handling of the coronavirus turns his greatest strength into perhaps his greatest liability.

A somewhat less obvious factor is that Trump’s own mismanagement has demonstrably contributed to these disasters. The entire crisis has grown out of Trump’s constitutional aversion to long-term planning. In his autobiography, Trump boasted that he does not even plan his days, but simply reacts to events as they happen. That process is now dominated by cable news, and especially the stock market, which is Trump’s narrow and highly distorted prism for understanding the entire economy. He dissolved the skilled team of pandemic experts he inherited from Obama on the overt calculation that it wasn’t a priority. “Who would have thought … we’d be having this subject?” he mused.

At some point Trump may retreat to the defense that the coronavirus is an external disaster for which he can’t be blamed. But a series of leaks have documented his direct responsibility.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Imagine what would have happened if Trump were our president on December 7, 1941.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am skeptical that this is going to hurt Trump's reelection all that much. If it were held today, maybe, but it is still months away, which gives Trump a long time to build a narrative of 'everything was fine'. The impact of the outbreak is likely to be pretty abstract to most of his followers. While serious, most people will probably not know anyone who got sick or died, and economic effects,... we have already seen plenty of people in various industries talking about how they still support him and do not believe their industry's bad numbers because THEY do no feel like things have gotten worse.

Big abstract problems like this are all about how people feel about them, not concrete personal impact, and Trump is really good at speaking to people's feelings. Facts that conflict with those feelings can always be written off as 'fake news' and 'hysteria', which we are already seeing the groundwork for.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:16 pm
Imagine what would have happened if Trump were our president on December 7, 1941.
The Man In The High Castle?
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

Salon - Digby: Is the Christian right now in charge of public health inside the Trump administration?

CDC director Robert Redfield and other important public health officials are Pence-approved evangelical Christians

Return to “Coronavirus”