Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:37 pm
WaPo
European leaders warn coronavirus could lead to the breakup of their union
:snippity:

Or this.

https:// twitter.com/FenCoul/status/1246150083411955717
Fen C: Pro-#EU; Ctr-Left Soc. Democrat. @FenCoul
Pet #Tory Councillor.

"Behind the #Coronavirus debacle, #Tory leaders, especially Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Raab, are terrified that the UK is going to have to beg to rejoin the #EU in the next 6 to 12 months. Absolutely terrified."

20:58 - 3 Apr 2020
Must be terrifying to realize that them rejoining will be up in about a couple of decades after a long list of Eastern European countries have been first allowed to join. Possible even Turkey :eek2:

Addie

Re: Social or International effects of COVID-19

Post by Addie »

Associated Press
Knifeman in southern France kills 2 in attack on passersby

PARIS (AP) — A man wielding a knife attacked residents of a French town while they ventured out to shop amid a coronavirus lockdown Saturday, killing two people and wounding eight others, authorities said.

Police later arrested the assailant nearby, French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said, thanking shopkeepers for their help. Castaner said authorities were studying whether to qualify the attack in the town of Romans-sur-Isere as an act of terrorism.

While more investigating is needed, “it seems that all the risks have been neutralized” because of a quick police intervention, Castaner told reporters at the scene south of the city of Lyon.

Two people were killed and eight injured, he said. French media reported that three were in critical condition.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

BBFlatt

Post by BBFlatt »

What Everyone’s Getting Wrong About the Toilet Paper Shortage
https://marker.medium.com/what-everyone ... 12e1358fe0
In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports...

“Not only is it not the same product, but it often doesn’t come from the same mills,” added Jim Luke, a professor of economics at Lansing Community College, who once worked as head of planning for a wholesale paper distributor. “So for instance, Procter & Gamble [which owns Charmin] is huge in the retail consumer market. But it doesn’t play in the institutional market at all.”

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Maybe we need a Coronavirus Business Failures thread

Ravn Air files for bankruptcy.
https://on.adn.com/2V2L9aF
RavnAir Group will park all 72 of its airplanes and temporarily lay off its remaining staff as the company files for bankruptcy after a sharp decline in passenger revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the company said Sunday.

The flight company, which operates RavnAir Alaska, PenAir and RavnAir Connect, said in a written statement that it has lost 90% of passenger revenue as concerns over the spread of the virus ramped up. Gov. Mike Dunleavy on March 27 banned all nonessential travel within Alaska.

The company previously flew passengers, freight and mail to 115 rural Alaska communities.

RavnAir Group has filed for bankruptcy because of the company’s critical need for additional funding, according to an updated statement released Sunday.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

GreatGrey wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:58 pm
Maybe we need a Coronavirus Business Failures thread

Ravn Air files for bankruptcy.
https://on.adn.com/2V2L9aF
RavnAir Group will park all 72 of its airplanes and temporarily lay off its remaining staff as the company files for bankruptcy after a sharp decline in passenger revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the company said Sunday.

The flight company, which operates RavnAir Alaska, PenAir and RavnAir Connect, said in a written statement that it has lost 90% of passenger revenue as concerns over the spread of the virus ramped up. Gov. Mike Dunleavy on March 27 banned all nonessential travel within Alaska.

The company previously flew passengers, freight and mail to 115 rural Alaska communities.

RavnAir Group has filed for bankruptcy because of the company’s critical need for additional funding, according to an updated statement released Sunday.
I suggest we just use the Retail Bankruptcies thread. The first companies to fold will be those that were already in trouble. They won't survive. But there are a lot of well run companies that are going to struggle now. When you're writing out your business plan, you don't anticipate a pandemic.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Canadian province leader 'infuriated' Trump blocking medical exports despite 9/11 help

Canadian leaders are criticizing President Trump’s ban on exports of N95 masks to the neighboring country.

One province leader said he’s “infuriated” with the decision, especially in light of Canada’s assistance to the U.S. in 2001 by sheltering stranded U.S. passengers after the 9/11 attacks.

“To say that I’m infuriated by the recent actions of President Trump of the United States is an understatement,” Newfoundland Premier Dwight Ball told The Associated Press. “I cannot believe for a second that in a time of crisis that President Trump would even think about banning key medical supplies to Canada.” ...

Ball noted that Canada helped cater to the more than 6,600 passengers in 2001 that descended on the 10,000-person town of Gander in Newfoundland.
Adding:
Talking Points Memo - Josh Marshall: Barbados Claims US Seized Ventilators En Route to Country
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

MRs. RC just had a flight on Frontier canceled in early June. They didn't even rebook her on anything.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Mag - David Wallace-Wells
There Is No Plan For the End of the Coronavirus Crisis

For a month, American journalists and public health experts have praised the coronavirus response of South Korea and Singapore above all others. On Tuesday, Singapore will close its schools and most businesses to guard against an out-of-control outbreak; South Korea just extended its social distancing policy. In the early months of this pandemic, the most developed parts of Asia have visibly outperformed the rest of the world — a differential that has produced a string of viral charts showing the benefits of mask-wearing and universal testing. But in recent days, Hong Kong and Taiwan, noting a rise of new cases arriving via international visitors, have shut their borders. Cases are spiking in Japan and a second wave of infections is feared in China, as well. Which means that, all told, many of the nations desperate Americans have spent the last few months praising as exemplary models of public health management do not actually have the virus under control — or at least not to the degree it appeared a few weeks ago, or to the degree you might be hoping for if you expected a (relatively) quick end to quarantine measures and economic shutdown followed by a (relatively) rapid snap-back to “normal” life and economic recovery.

If the countries held up as models for how we should proceed can’t figure it out, what does it mean for the U.S., which is saddled with broken institutions and has already bungled and delayed its response at nearly every stage? Here in New York, we are about to enter our third week of sheltering in place; in San Francisco, and Seattle, the social-distancing orders have been in effect even longer. Yet there is no clarity to be found from the federal or state or local level for how long these measures will last. And there is no public or concrete plan for, and little visible discussion about, what it would mean to sunset them: how and at what point and in what ways we will try to exit this temporary-but-indefinite wartime-like national bunkering almost all 330 million of us now find ourselves in. What, exactly, is the endgame here?

Some of this ambiguity is inevitable — it may be hard to remember, given the way the coronavirus has distended our sense of time, but this crisis is just a few months old and the scientific and public health wisdom just as preliminary. But while it may not be possible to pinpoint a date, or a month, at which point we can expect to transition out of bunker living, no one seems to have any sense of how we’ll arrive at that determination, how much we will have wanted to contain the outbreak, at what levels, before moving forward, and what steps moving forward would then entail. That there is no coherent federal plan to deal with the outbreak as it currently stands is horrifying enough — an absolute evacuation of presidential leadership that has already cost thousands of lives, and will likely cost tens of thousands more. But the fact that there is also no planning to speak of for how we might leave behind the present crisis means all we can see looking forward from the darkness — is more darkness.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This article talks about how hard parents are having it right now and how untenable the current situation is.

https://medium.com/@chloe.cooney/parent ... ab2a3e42d9
I just want to cry.”

“Are we permanently ruining and psychologically damaging him?”

This was an actual conversation my wife and I had Friday morning. I had just gotten off a work call and my brain was ticking through follow up items adding to a long list of untouched to dos. I’d found my wife multi-tasking an onslaught of incoming work questions she was fielding during her “homeschool” time — in which our son refused to partake. Instead, he huddled in an increasingly secure fort, refusing to do anything (color, read, go outside, talk to his teacher, etc…) besides sit in silence in the dark or watch his ipad. (He sat in silence in the dark).

We both felt guilty for the work we were not doing — and aching for the way our son was struggling and needed us to be present and calm and just with him. Exactly what our current schedule running back and forth between work calls, requests and parenting — not to mention life in a pandemic — prohibited. (Later, as I took over the homeschool shift and he stormed upstairs to cry, he told me it was because I had stopped smiling at him. Knife, meet heart.)

This is really hard.

What’s amazing to me is how consistent this struggle is among every parent I talk to. The texts and social media posts bouncing around my circle all echo each other. We feel like we’re failing at both. Our kids don’t just need us — they need more of us. Our kids are acting out, abandoning the routines they already had, dropping naps, sleeping less, doing less — except for jumping on top of their parents, which is happening much more. We’re letting them watch far greater amounts of screen time than we ever thought we’d tolerate. Forget homeschooling success — most of us are struggling to get our kids to do the basics that would have accounted for a saturday morning routine before this pandemic.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian: Trump scapegoating of WHO obscures its key role in tackling pandemic

The World Health Organization has a tiny budget – for which the US is in arrears – but experts have praised its response to the coronavirus crisis

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN: 'It's just a nightmare.' Trash collectors overwhelmed by rising amount of household waste

Washington, DC (CNN)Barney Shapiro, owner of Tenleytown Trash, never expected that he would turn to the Washington National Opera's costume department to design gear for his employees. But when a member of his staff heard the National Opera was sewing masks for workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic, he jumped at the chance.

Shapiro's staffers haul trash in Washington, DC, and Maryland. Like the entire waste management industry, Shapiro is trying to keep his employees healthy and safe so they can handle the massive influx of household trash that is accumulating as more Americans self-quarantine at home.

"Our residential volumes are drastically increased," Shapiro said. "People are calling in and asking for increased services. We can't do that on a short-term basis. It's just a nightmare." ...

Republic Services, one of the largest waste management companies in the US, said it expects the volume of residential garbage to increase by as much as 30%. In order to redirect resources and address the growing amount of day-to-day household waste, about 50 communities nationwide have paused curbside recycling pickup and dozens have suspended yard waste collection, according to the Solid Waste Association of America. Other companies are shifting workers to residential routes and away from slower commercial routes where many of the businesses have closed.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Is it just me or has Amazon become ineffective as a shipping entity? I've plugged in a half dozen thing in the past two days and the best delivery date I can get is in MAY. It's the 9th of April. I'm not buying anything via Amazon until the shipping times get back to normal.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

John Thomas8 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:57 pm
Is it just me or has Amazon become ineffective as a shipping entity? I've plugged in a half dozen thing in the past two days and the best delivery date I can get is in MAY. It's the 9th of April. I'm not buying anything via Amazon until the shipping times get back to normal.
I think it’s Amazon. I’ve received things from other shippers in a few days.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

John Thomas8 wrote:
There is a supply problem For some items. There’s also social distancing, which I assume applies to their ginormous warehouses. In addition, they’re prioritizing based on greatest need, they say. For stuff in stock, I’ve opted for standard shipping and still gotten within 3 to 7 days. I don’t think it’s inefficiency. Circumstances and choices.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:00 pm
John Thomas8 wrote:
I think it’s Amazon. I’ve received things from other shippers in a few days.
Yes, I agree. It's spaz annoying, I send stuff to my son and his family in rural Illinois because it (used to be) cheaper for me to send it than them driving for it and the shipping times are so stupid I've just quit even looking at Amazon.

Lani

Post by Lani »

In general, shipping times are getting longer. Amazon claims it's being swamped with orders. Our local post office says it's like Christmas shipping on steroids.

For my last shipment, I had to look closely at each item to see if there would be delayed shipment. Some items wouldn't ship until late May. :( For most items, I was able to find a different seller or a similar product. When checking out, I looked again to see if there any shipping delays for each item. It took awhile before I finalized the order on 4/6.

One item was shipped on 4/9, arriving 4/13. One item was shipped 4/9, arriving 4/11. One item hasn't shipped yet, despite the description that claimed it was in stock. It's craft pipe cleaners for the masks I want to make. :( Anything even vaguely Covid related is gonna take forever.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I buy stuff locally that he can't get and take it to the local UPS shipping point. 3 days is as long as it takes to get from Raleigh to 200 miles southeast from St Louis. Amazon says 3 weeks. The latter is not useful.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I ordered a toner cartridge for my laser printer from Amazon on Sunday. It was delivered Tuesday.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

John Thomas8 wrote:
I think they are giving longer times just to be safe. I've ordered a few things in the last two weeks. Although they all say a really long delivery time, I found that they actually got delivered very quickly. For example, I ordered a book on Wednesday. The delivery time said it would be here in a week. I actually got it on Thursday.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A couple of days ago we made an Instacart order from HEB. A first it said delivery would be the next day in the afternoon. As it happened the order arrived in about 3 hours.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 am
A couple of days ago we made an Instacart order from HEB. A first it said delivery would be the next day in the afternoon. As it happened the order arrived in about 3 hours.
There is a front-page CNN story about Instacart shoppers being lured by pretips on orders and then pos customers switching the tip to $0.00 after delivery. :madguy:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/tech/ins ... index.html

Instacart needs to add a customer rating function to their shopper app similar to what Uber has in their driver app to rate riders.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

"Virus Diplomacy"...paging William Gibson
Vietnam challenges China's monopoly on virus diplomacy

HANOI, April 10 (Reuters) - Vietnam is challenging China's dominance of coronavirus diplomacy with the donation of medical supplies to Europe and Southeast Asia and even winning plaudits from U.S. President Donald Trump for a shipment of protective suits.

China is looking to burnish its credentials as a responsible power by sharing expertise and donating masks and other protective equipment to countries seeing a surge in cases and to repair an image dented by the disease that originated there late last year.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/vietnam-chal ... 34159.html

And I imagine the worsening situation on the USS Roosevelt and anciliary concerns about other ships, as well as naval ineptitude and fleet readiness in general, have been mentioned somewhere on Fogbow, but it bears keeping an eye on from an international perspective. China sees Trump being bellicose towards Iran and Venezuela, so maybe China starts to push forward with some of their surrounding concerns like The South China Sea...
China leverages Covid-19 crisis in South China Sea
China is exploiting the Covid-19 pandemic to push past smaller SE Asian claimants in the contested waterway

MANILA – As Southeast Asian nations grapple with Covid-19 outbreaks and the US Navy grounds ships due to infections among its personnel, China is leveraging the health crisis as a strategic opportunity to assert control in the South China Sea.

With China’s People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) and other forces unscathed by the virus, the Asian powerhouse is increasingly flexing its muscles through major military drills, consolidation of control of disputed features and, most recently, overawing smaller Southeast Asian claimants.

Earlier this month, China sank a Vietnamese fishing boat with eight crew members on board in the overlapping waters each claim off the Paracel Islands. A Vietnamese official from nearby Quang Ngai province complained “This is the first time a Chinese ship has hit and sunk boats in our commune,” according to various media reports.

Following the ramming and sinking, a Chinese Coast Guard (CCG) vessel detained the crew on a nearby island. Two nearby Vietnamese vessels, which sought to rescue their countrymen, were reportedly also apprehended by Chinese authorities

https://www.google.com/amp/s/asiatimes. ... china-sea/
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
·
15m
CLOSED EASTER: These stores will be closed this Sunday, April 12 and we're hoping their employees will get some much-needed time with their families.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

No surprises here.

In NYC, 'stark contrast' in COVID-19 infection rates based on education and race

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/nyc-stark ... itter_abcn
New analysis by researchers at New York University's Furman Center, which studies housing, neighborhoods and urban policy, found that strongest neighborhood factors linked to high COVID-19 rates were having a large share of black and Hispanic residents; having a high proportion of overcrowded apartments and having a large share of residents without college degrees.

:snippity:

"Workers with college degrees are far more able to work remotely and therefore more safely shelter in place," said Ingrid Gould Ellen, a faculty director at the Furman Center, who worked on the new analysis.

In addition to being less likely to work from home, residents without degrees are more likely to rely on public transportation during the pandemic, creating an added exposure risk for them.

In New York neighborhoods with the highest COVID-19 infection rates, an average of 28.7% of residents had college degrees compared to 47.3% of residents in neighborhoods with the lowest infection rates, the analysis, which examined publicly available information, found.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Coronavirus spreading in Russia.
The New York Times
@nytimes
·
26m
A surge of coronavirus cases has pushed Moscow’s health care system to its limit, authorities said. The deputy mayor responsible for health said that the number of people hospitalized in the city had more than doubled over the past week, to 6,500.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/worl ... &smtyp=cur

Return to “Coronavirus”