SENATE: impeachment trial.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Addie wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:33 pm
Salon - Digby: An impeachment trial is finally coming — and it could be exciting after all

Blood in the water: McConnell will allow a vote on witnesses, and vulnerable Republicans are under pressure
Odds Collins will vote against witnesses? 95%.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Trump hits Senate for giving impeachment 'credibility' by holding trial ...

The president said any proceedings in the Senate would be based on "no evidence" and appeared to urge Senate Republicans to reject the idea of holding a trial at all.

"Many believe that by the Senate giving credence to a trial based on the no evidence, no crime, read the transcripts, 'no pressure' Impeachment Hoax, rather than an outright dismissal, it gives the partisan Democrat Witch Hunt credibility that it otherwise does not have. I agree!" Trump tweeted.

Trump spent much of Sunday tweeting about the upcoming Senate impeachment trial, which, he wrote in one message, "should not even be allowed to proceed."

"Why should I have the stigma of Impeachment attached to my name when I did NOTHING wrong?" he added in another tweet. "Read the Transcripts! A totally partisan Hoax, never happened before. House Republicans voted 195-0, with three Dems voting with the Republicans. Very unfair to tens of millions of voters!"

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) have battled for weeks over the scope of the Senate impeachment trial, with Pelosi holding firm in her demands for McConnell to guarantee that witnesses will be called before she presents the Senate with the House-passed articles of impeachment.

Last week, it was reported that McConnell had signed on to a measure that would allow the Senate to dismiss the House articles of impeachment without a trial.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I thought he wanted a trial :confused:
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:04 pm I thought he wanted a trial :confused:
Silly you. Since when does anything he says remain the same for more than a few minutes? :fingerwag: :lol:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

My best guess is Bolton.
Goldie in her Zombie Hunter costume.
ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sunrise wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:28 pm
Silly you. Since when does anything he says remain the same for more than a few minutes? :fingerwag: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What's he so worried about? It will be the most perfect, exquisite trial ever!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Impeachment Bannon style. :swoon:

Sterngard Friegen

:violin:
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: How Schumer might get the last laugh on impeachment trial

Democrats plan to squeeze vulnerable Republicans with a series of tough votes that could hurt them in November.
Sterngard Friegen

Addie wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:40 pm
Politico: How Schumer might get the last laugh on impeachment trial

Democrats plan to squeeze vulnerable Republicans with a series of tough votes that could hurt them in November.
All the more reason for MoscowMitch to get rid of the case ASAP. And find some face-saving way for the vulnerables to cast some preliminary votes to help them.
Addie

Post by Addie »

CBS News
White House expects GOP defections on calling witnesses in Senate impeachment trial

Washington — The White House is preparing for some Republican senators to join Democrats in voting to call witnesses in President Trump's impeachment trial, which could get underway in the coming days.

Senior White House officials tell CBS News they increasingly believe that at least four Republicans, and likely more, will vote to call witnesses. In addition to Senators Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Susan Collins of Maine, Mitt Romney of Utah and possibly Cory Gardner of Colorado, the White House also views Rand Paul of Kentucky as a "wild card" and Senator Lamar Alexander of Tennessee as an "institutionalist" who might vote to call witnesses, as one official put it.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Axios
66% of Americans want John Bolton to testify

Two-thirds of Americans surveyed want former national security adviser John Bolton to testify in the Senate impeachment trial, according to a Quinnipiac national poll of 1,562 voters released Monday.

Why it matters: Bolton, who is believed to have been a prolific note-taker with key insights into President Trump's decision-making on Ukraine, said earlier this month that he would be willing to testify if subpoenaed by the Senate. Popular support for Bolton's testimony could put pressure on moderate Republican senators to vote to call him as a witness.
The voters who want Bolton to testify include 39% of Republicans, 71% of independents and 91% of Democrats, per Quinnipiac.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I don't trust John Bolton to tell me the time of day.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

TexasFilly wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm I don't trust John Bolton to tell me the time of day.
:yeah:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Jennifer Horn
@NHJennifer
·
11m
"Sr WH officials tell
@CBSNews
they increasingly believe that at least 4 Republicans, & likely more, will vote 2 call witnesses" #DoYourJob
#CountryOverParty
@ProjectLincoln
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters
Republican senators say they will not vote to dismiss charges against Trump ahead of trial

The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives is expected to formally send the charges to the Senate this week, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has vowed to help acquit his fellow Republican.

Trump appeared on Sunday to reverse his position on how the Senate should proceed, writing on Twitter that a full trial would give the Democrats who pursued impeachment undeserved credibility and signaling support for dismissal of the charges with no trial.

“There is almost no interest” among Republican senators for a motion to dismiss the House charges, Republican Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Monday.

“I will not be supporting a motion to dismiss,” said Republican Senator Mitt Romney. “At this stage, the allegations that have been made are serious and deserve to be given consideration with the arguments for and against.”

Senator Susan Collins, among a handful of Republicans whom Democrats hope to persuade to back their call for witness testimony, told reporters she and a small group of colleagues were discussing a trial format that would allow lawmakers to vote on whether to include witnesses after hearing from each side and having the opportunity to pose questions.

“We’re still talking, and I think the discussions have been going well,” Collins told reporters, saying she strongly favored the approach taken during the impeachment trial of former President Bill Clinton, a Democrat.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Can you have a trial without witnesses?

Can we declare war on Moscow Mitch, he's a real and present danger to America.
bob

Post by bob »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 pm Can you have a trial without witnesses?
At the Big Dog's impeachment trial, the witnesses' depositions were videotaped, and the Senate reviewed those. No live witnesses.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

bob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 pm
John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 pm Can you have a trial without witnesses?
At the Big Dog's impeachment trial, the witnesses' depositions were videotaped, and the Senate reviewed those. No live witnesses.
I think that makes me ill.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I still feel like we aren't going to be okay.
Sterngard Friegen

“We’re still talking, and I think the discussions have been going well,” Collins told reporters.
Susan Collins (R-Disappointment).
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Even if the Senate subpoenas, say, John Bolton - it's a mortal lock the White House will fight to the death to quash that subpoena on executive privilege grounds. Off to federal court we go. See you in six to eight months just to get a ruling at the trial level, at which point it's November anyway. As I've said elsewhere, what's the point of federal courts when even litigation over a slam dunk like the Ways and Means Committee having access to tax returns (that law is absolutely clear) is probably going to outlast the Congress that made the request at the beginning of its term?

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can actually square the legal doctrine of executive privilege existing at all with the concept of impeachment. If Congress is going to impeach POTUS, presumably they would do so on the basis of something he did in office that his staff witnessed. If the President is allowed to invoke privilege in that context, unless he or she is dumb enough to pull a Nixon and record everything, how is there ever going to be sufficient evidence to convict?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 am Honestly, I'm not sure how you can actually square the legal doctrine of executive privilege existing at all with the concept of impeachment.
Is that really an issue? Executive privilege is merely an acknowledgement that any executive needs room to breathe without being micro-managed and harassed by Congress or courts. It also acknowledges that not everything is perfectly pretty in the real world. It's not supposed to be any sort of signficant immunity, is it?

And surely the concept of impeachment survives any problem inconsistency if one accepts the basic principle that it is a last resort check for dealing with unforeseen circumstances. It says that if Congress agrees, really agrees, after taking oaths to be fair :rotflmao: that the President or other senior officers have misbehaved badly, then something has to be done. The Republicans, shitbag scum that they are, abused it as a process in trying to harass Bill Clinton on spurious pretexts.

I agree with you about the speed of courts. Slow court systems in any country are a disgrace. It was interesting to see how the UK's and Scotland's supreme courts managed their cases on Brexit, gearing up for speedy action with no messing about. (Much good it did the Brits in the end; they got their mini-Trump with the disastrous Brexit plan.)
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
GOP leadership: There aren't 51 votes to dismiss Trump articles of impeachment

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) told reporters on Monday that the Senate Republican caucus doesn't have the votes to dismiss the articles of impeachment against President Trump, who endorsed an "outright dismissal" over the weekend.

"I think our members generally are not interested in a motion to dismiss. ... Certainly there aren't 51 votes for a motion to dismiss," Blunt, the No. 4 Senate Republican, told reporters after a closed-door leadership meeting.

Republicans have warned for months that they will not dismiss the two articles of impeachment against Trump, predicting a trial will end with votes on either acquitting or convicting him. ...

Dismissing the articles of impeachment would require 51 votes. Because no Democrats would support the effort, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) could afford to lose only two GOP senators and still successfully dismiss the articles.

Multiple Republicans, including Sens. Susan Collins (Maine) and Rob Portman (Ohio), have indicated they would oppose a motion to dismiss, arguing that both Trump's legal team and House impeachment managers should be able to make their case.

Return to “Impeachment”