SENATE: impeachment trial.

Kendra

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by Kendra »

The music, her tone, everything was perfect. I won't spoil, but the box to Pelosi at the end. I hope they send a copy to concerned Collins.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:06 pm
From the comments:
16EFB984-F264-45E3-B509-45F59E082A29.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

@ProjectLincoln
NEW VIDEO: What do you call @ThomTillis? #NC deserves a senator who doesn't enable @realDonaldTrump and his unprincipled policies

added (opponent):

@CalforNC
Thanks to folks across NC, we’ve doubled Thom Tillis’ fundraising since Jan. 1. The momentum is clearly on our side—and together, we’re going to defeat him in November. Join us: http://calfornc.com
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is it just me or did anyone else originally read that as they'd doubled Tillis' intake...for Tillis?

I don't mean to be picky but if that's the original sentence, and I hadn't read further down, I'd have skipped on past because I sure as hell don't want to double Tillis' haul.
Goldie in her Zombie Hunter costume.
ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:40 pm Is it just me or did anyone else originally read that as they'd doubled Tillis' intake...for Tillis?

I don't mean to be picky but if that's the original sentence, and I hadn't read further down, I'd have skipped on past because I sure as hell don't want to double Tillis' haul.
Not just you
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

We are very strict in North Carolina about not allowing Democratic Party officials to endorse one Democrat over another in the primary. We work hard to make sure all Democrats campaign on a level playing field.

'Course, the DNC decided that since we're just a bunch of dumb hicks, they would ignore that and go ahead and pick our candidate for us, to go up against Thom Tillis. We can't choose the black lady in the primary, she's black for god's sake! So they picked Cal Cunningham for us.

This is being complicated by the Republicans, who also realized that we're a bunch of dumb hicks, and if we choose the black lady in the primary they'll have a better chance of retaining Tillis in November.

So we're having a great time here in preparation for the primary election, with the DNC and the Republicans fighting it out on our Tee Vees and in our mailboxes. I got a robocall from the Republicans today, telling me how important it is to choose the black lady.

'Course, we're just dumb hicks around here. We're definitely going to let somebody else decide who we should vote for.
Only 11 days until the election!

:resist:
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

bob wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm
Chilidog wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:47 pm
4) White House files suit in federal court to quash the subpoena just like McGahn, Mazars, and the Kupperman litigation.
Wouldn't CJ Roberts have to rule on it in the Senate trial first?

And wouldn't that render any suit in a lower court moot?
Short (WAG) answer: no and no.

The impeached president (or the person receiving the subpoena) could sue before the deadline indicated on the subpoena.

But even if the Chief qua impeachment trial judge made a ruling, no court would be bound by that ruling by virtue of it being the Chief who had ruled. (A judge, however, could easily decide to not rule, based on the separation-of-powers or political-question doctrines.)

What now, full banc?
41D7D599-A8D1-46D6-96B3-A866159D6A79.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
bob

Post by bob »

GreatGrey wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:02 pmWhat now, full banc?
There are three remedies:
1. Petition for rehearing (before the same judges);
2. Petition for rehearing en banc (before the full D.C. Cir.);
3. Cert. with SCOTUS.

I predict two then three.

The 2-1 ruling.

As the dissent and commentators have noted, the ruling gives the executive branch an extreme incentive to stonewall and otherwise ignore Congress.

The majority suggests this could lead to the return of Congress arresting those who blow Congress off. The majority also helpfully suggests Congress could "withhold appropriations, refuse to confirm the President’s nominees, harness public opinion, delay or derail the President’s legislative agenda, or impeach recalcitrant officers[.]" :roll:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Pelosi Statement on McGahn Ruling
February 28, 2020
Press Release
Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled to vacate the District Court ruling requiring former White House Counsel Don McGahn to comply with the House’s subpoena to testify before Congress:

“Today’s split Court of Appeals ruling in the McGahn case does not contradict what the Courts have continued to rule: that the President’s claims of ‘absolute immunity’ from Congress’s subpoenas are false.

“The Court of Appeals’ claim that ‘Article III of the Constitution forbids federal courts from resolving this kind of interbranch information dispute’ is contrary to reason and precedent, as was recognized by the dissent. Even President Trump’s own lawyers told the American people over and over again during the impeachment trial that the House should have gone to court to enforce its subpoenas – while at the same time arguing the exact opposite in the courtroom.

The House will now pursue an en banc rehearing of this decision. We will continue to honor our responsibility to exercise our constitutional authority to conduct oversight on behalf of the American people, including by issuing our lawful and legitimate subpoenas.”
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Um...
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can Nancy Pelosi tell him...in person...on camera? I promise I won't complain another second about missing my trip next week.
Goldie in her Zombie Hunter costume.
ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Amazing! We followed all those Birther cases and not a single petition for a hearing en banc was ever granted. I suppose they actually succeed in real cases. :-D

Is it unusual that the three judge panel's ruling was vacated? Or is that SOP when a rehearing is granted?
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:15 pm Amazing! We followed all those Birther cases and not a single petition for a hearing en banc was ever granted. I suppose they actually succeed in real cases. :-D

Is it unusual that the three judge panel's ruling was vacated? Or is that SOP when a rehearing is granted?
SOP. Rao didn't take part in the petition, but this nutty judge will take part in the en banc.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Isn't Rao in charge of the parking tickets dockets?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

ZekeB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:52 pm Isn't Rao in charge of the parking tickets dockets?
Beyond her abilities.
SLQ

Post by SLQ »

:bar:
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Return to “Impeachment”