SENATE: impeachment trial.

MN-Skeptic

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm
As I have said before, Bolton has become a paytriot.
Great, appropriate term.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 pm
Charities steered $65M to Trump lawyer Sekulow and family

https://apnews.com/9d2ed80ca912d18abd6650f55d2db935
Jay Sekulow, one of President Donald Trump’s lead attorneys during the impeachment trial, is being paid for his legal work through a rented $80-a-month mailbox a block away from the White House.
Saw this an hour ago and was going to post it here but figured why? We already know they are ALL crooked grifters. Every. last. one.

Still want to know who is funding Rudy, too also.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:33 pm
Bolton and his lawyers either massively mis-timed their revelations or brilliantly played the media for his book. Either way, bad news for the United States.

As I have said before, Bolton has become a paytriot.
That is exactly right. But anyone who was hoping for John Fucking Bolton to save the United States has not been paying attention the past 35 years. Now wait until Trump sics Barr on Bolton.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Release the book, Bolton. It's time for us to see Trump throwing a political enemy in jail. He's tried almost everything else you'd expect to see in China or NK.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

geof koss
@geofkoss
·
10m
MURKOWSKI tells me she’s a NO on witnesses
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Of course. They'll all be lock-step on the no side now. They've feigned their concern enough now. It's time to obey Moscow Mitch.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:22 pm
Of course. They'll all be lock-step on the no side now. They've feigned their concern enough now. It's time to obey Moscow Mitch.
Not just Mitch. There's been solid reporting that the biggest advocates for ending the trial now (i.e., as far from the election as possible) and avoiding dragging it out have been the vulnerable senators up for reelection - Gardner, Ernst, Tillis, McSally. Collins probably actually feels that way, but is being allowed to vote for witnesses to continue her charming act of showing how concerned she is. (By the way, if Maine voters fall for that shit again, I will lose my fucking mind.)

The calculus here is that voters will forget in the next nine months. With news cycles moving as fast as they are these days, who knows what will happen? Of course, it's also possible that a steady drip-drip-drip of news regarding Ukraine will make them regret the decision. But that's the political calculation being made. They're going to acquit Trump anyway, so why prolong the agony and make everyone's life more difficult in November?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Using Warren's Q re:Chief Justice Roberts for cover on a No vote.
Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins
Murkowski apparently not pleased with Warren's question, saying, “It has also become clear some of my colleagues intend to further politicize this process, and drag the Supreme Court into the fray, while attacking the Chief Justice. I will not stand for nor support that effort."

Murkowski continued: "We have already degraded this institution for partisan political benefit, and I will not enable those who wish to pull down another."

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:18 pm
geof koss
@geofkoss
·
10m
MURKOWSKI tells me she’s a NO on witnesses
I did not expect that, although I should have. #MoscowMitch could have managed just fine with three witness votes.

I'm with the rest of you, a good day to find something fun to do. I think I'll go calk the windows.

But as someone wiser than me said, maybe it's for the best. This way they can't say, "Hey, we had witnesses and we still acquitted him!" This works better for cover-up campaign ads and that's one way to keep this fresh in voters' minds.
ImageImageImage x4

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

This is a better result. More people are going to believe the Bolton version of what went on. This process also strengthened the conclusion in people's minds that Trump did collude in the unreleased Mueller Report. I hope whomever wins the Democratic nomination reminds the voters of what went on in the past year. I don't mean a daily reminder, but enough of a reminder to keep it in the front of people's minds.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Leigh Ann Caldwell
@LACaldwellDC
Profile picture
19 minutes ago, 5 tweets, 2 min read

NEW: @SenSchumer and @senatemajldr told their members at their respective closed-door lunches that the two leaders have agreed to a proposal culminating in a Wednesday vote to acquit the president, according to two Democrats in the room and two Republican aides familiar. 1/
mentions Since the proposal requires the buy-in of senators of both parties and the president, the details and timeline could shift.

Some Republicans and the White House are still hoping for an acquittal vote before the State of the Union Tuesday night.
A Wh official said they would prefer acquittal on Tuesday but...

“We're happy with an acquittal as soon as possible. We sure would like Tuesday, but the Senate can only go as fast as it can,” the official said. “Whenever the date and time lands, resolution provides conclusion."

If the proposal is approved by all parties, the trial would not be in session this weekend. It would resume Monday with six hours of closing arguments divided for the House Managers and the WH defense. 4/

Again if accepted by all parties, Tuesday would allow senators 10 minutes each to make a statement. It would not be within the confines of the trial to allow senators to not be present, which would allow 2020 candidates the ability to be in the campaign trail.

bob

Post by bob »

Turley acts as if he's unaware of the concept that judges given rules and the discretion on how to apply those rules. :swoon:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
·
7m
"There is no agreement between Leader McConnell and myself" on next steps in impeachment trial, Sen. Chuck Schumer says.

"We are going to use whatever power we have to prevent it from being rushed through, but right now there is no agreement." https://abcn.ws/2OhTq7Z

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yesterday: “When Zelensky appears with Pompeo before cameras on Friday, White House officials hope he will reiterate a message that has become central to Trump’s defense: The president never pressured Ukraine to investigate Trump’s political rivals”

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The Articles of Impeachment constitute a privileged matter. But can the Democrats move to table the vote on conviction/acquittal? If so, the matter can be taken up at a later time. That could possibly put a brake on Trump's future actions. (Who am I kidding?)

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Joseph A. Bondy
@josephabondy
Below is the letter Stephanie Schuman @LeafLegal and I sent to Senator McConnell earlier today, (202) 224-2541, summarizing the testimony Lev Parnas would be able to provide, were he called as a witness. #LetLevSpeak #AmericansDemandWitnesses #CallTheWitnesses #LetBoltonTestify

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

After he's acquitted, I expect to see a whole new level of unrestrained, unhinged, unsane behavior. The Dems won't dare impeach him again before the election, and he knows it. There will literally be no limits on his ability to use the levers of government to enrich himself, to cheat in the election, and to continue destroying this country.

I still wish that the House had slow-walked the investigation until May and started the impeachment in June. As bad as things are now, I fear they're going to get much, much worse.

:smoking:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Somerset

Post by Somerset »

We can start referring to the IMPOTUS as the "barely acquitted IMPOTUS." We know he's going to start saying "completely exonerated" as soon as there's a vote, but we can get ahead of him and I'd love to see the term "barely acquitted" catch hold and become the defining term of this malignant presidency.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, I think the Dems have played this nearly perfectly.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Somerset wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:36 pm
We can start referring to the IMPOTUS as the "barely acquitted IMPOTUS." We know he's going to start saying "completely exonerated" as soon as there's a vote, but we can get ahead of him and I'd love to see the term "barely acquitted" catch hold and become the defining term of this malignant presidency.
change approved.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Ari Melber is now babbling away on MSNBC. (He just arrived.) He's saying pretty much nothing but he sure loves to hear his own voice. :notlistening:

bob

Post by bob »

Times-U. [AP]: Senate rejects witnesses in Trump trial, ensuring acquittal:
The Senate rejected the idea of summoning witnesses for President Donald Trump’s impeachment trial late Friday, all but ensuring his acquittal. But senators considered pushing off final voting on his fate to next week.

The vote on allowing new witnesses was defeated 51-49 on a near party-line vote.

Republicans Susan Collins of Maine and Mitt Romney of Utah voted along with the Democrats for witnesses, but that was not enough.
How convenient there was a margin to spare for Collins.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Hmmm, sounds like there’s something they want to hide.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:09 pm
Ari Melber is now babbling away on MSNBC. (He just arrived.) He's saying pretty much nothing but he sure loves to hear his own voice. :notlistening:
I liked him so much when he first showed up as a contributor on MSNBC. When he got his show I watched religiously for a long time. Now I can't stand him. He is so full of himself it's sickening. He is all about interviewing right-wing gaslighters and convincing himself that he is cornering them into miniscule contradictions and revelations. He's wrong. They eat him for lunch.

This week, his favorite pastime has been playing devil's advocate. Utterly. Pointless.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

p0rtia wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:17 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:09 pm
I liked him so much when he first showed up as a contributor on MSNBC. When he got his show I watched religiously for a long time. Now I can't stand him. He is so full of himself it's sickening. He is all about interviewing right-wing gaslighters and convincing himself that he is cornering them into miniscule contradictions and revelations. He's wrong. They eat him for lunch.

This week, his favorite pastime has been playing devil's advocate. Utterly. Pointless.
Yeah, he's been getting on my nerves lately, too.

And I saw Collins referred to as Sidekick Sue somewhere today. There's almost no one I want to see lose her next election than Collins.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “Impeachment”