SENATE: impeachment trial.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by Orlylicious »

Alex Mohajer
‏Verified account @AlexMohajer
Can’t just retweet it folks, gotta actually call too. I made all four calls in less than 4 minutes and left voicemails for all 4. If every person who likes or retweets this actually takes a minute to call, then we are actually moving the needle. Otherwise it’s just Twitter noise.
7:08 PM - 21 Jan 2020

Susan Collins
+12022242523

Lisa Murkowski (AK)
+12022246665

Mitt Romney (UT)
+12022245251

Joni Ernst (IA)
+ 12022243254

Cory Gardner (CO)
+12022245941

Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season coming in March on weTV!

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Murkowski was here last week, blowing smoke about fairness

She’s not broken from the party on a single vote today.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Murko ... 10781.html

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Whoa! Justice Roberts just admonished both sides of counsel (managers and IMPOTUS) for being uncivil and using uncivil language. This was after one of IMPOTUS's attorneys (not sure which one) attacked Nadler.

Edit: I'm sure his exact words will be repeated all over soon. I didn't catch exactly what he said, because I was so surprised to hear from him!
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Awesome seeing them up so late... waiting for a new Twitter account, #MoscowMitch McConnell's Chair.

John Roberts gave us a shout out! He referred to a case involving the word Pettifogbow (that's how I heard it, anyway :P )
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season coming in March on weTV!

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

SLQ wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 am
Whoa! Justice Roberts just admonished both sides of counsel (managers and IMPOTUS) for being uncivil and using uncivil language. This was after one of IMPOTUS's attorneys (not sure which one) attacked Nadler.

Edit: I'm sure his exact words will be repeated all over soon. I didn't catch exactly what he said, because I was so surprised to hear from him!
Susan Collins sent a note to the parliamentarian right before. She has concerns about civility.

SRSLY.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

GreatGrey wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:22 am
SLQ wrote:

Susan Collins sent a note to the parliamentarian right before. She has concerns about civility.

SRSLY.
:roll:
-- Yoda

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Here's our shoutout! :dance:

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Boom. :explode: Adam just forced Sekulow into a corner. Sekulow objected to the House's amendment to allow Chief Justice Roberts to decide issues of materiality or relevance. He said "this is not an appeal, it's Congress." Not sure if he said "a trial in Congress."

Adam says "don't let it be said that we didn't make any progress today, because the president's team just admitted this is not an appeal, and therefore, there is no trial below. This IS the trial, so witnesses and evidence are proper, because there is no trial record below.

Adam also said, essentially "this is not a trade, where if we get a relevant witness, you get a non-relevant witness -- witnesses should be decided on the basis of relevancy."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

And we're adjourned for the night. 10:52 PM PST, 1:52 AM EST (tomorrow).
-- Yoda

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:35 am

BFD. Counsel for the President * can lie with impunity as long as they are civil!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

TexasFilly wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 am
Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:35 am

BFD. Counsel for the President * can lie with impunity as long as they are civil!
Exactly. I don't like the "both-sides" approach, either.
-- Yoda

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Weijia Jiang@weijia
Trump said he would “love” to attend his Senate trial, sit in the front row, and “stare at their corrupt faces”. When I asked who was paying for his private lawyers—him or taxpayers—he smiled but did not answer.
7:30 AM · Jan 22, 2020 from Davos, Switzerland·Twitter for iPhone
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I hate Roberts' "both sides" admonishment, but I also don't see how he could have avoided it without being accused of bias. If he straight-up says, "The President's Counsel will refrain from saying what they know to be false," or something similar, Team Trump would rightly go crazy and say he's not impartial. Trial judges frequently have to strike that kind of balance to avoid giving the jury any impression that the Court has taken one side or the other.

What bothers me more is the Chief Justice joining the parade of falsehoods by repeating the old sock about the Senate being "the world's greatest deliberative body." That statement certainly is not true now, and there's quite a lot of historical evidence to conclude that, in retrospect, it was never true to begin with. The Senate was the graveyard of civil rights and equality in this country for nearly 200 years until the dam broke in the 1960s. All those brilliant speeches were just fine and dandy if you were, say, a southern white property owner. Not so much for everyone else. It was window dressing while the Senate said "no" to basically everything. For two centuries. What's so fucking great about that?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

GreatGrey wrote:
SLQ wrote:

SRSLY.
Who does she think she's fooling? trump supporters don't want civility and the rest of us figured her out a long time ago.
ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Justice Roberts: We must have civility and decorum in the courtroom. Mr. Schiff and Mr. Nadler. You are admonished for calling the opposing attorneys liars. Mr. Sekolow and Mr. Cippolone, you are admonished for actually lying.

"Both sides" my ass.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 am
GreatGrey wrote:

SRSLY.
Who does she think she's fooling? trump supporters don't want civility and the rest of us figured her out a long time ago.
Yes, but you have to admire her discipline in sticking to her role as self-appointed Brow-Furrower-in-Chief, even at this late juncture where I'm sure even she must realize that the act has reached the point of caricature and farce.

Edit: I was trying to think of a Shakespeare quote where a character realizes he's the villain but has to carry on regardless, but since I can't recall whatever it is I'm thinking of, I have to settle for Michael Douglas as Bill Foster in Falling Down:
I'm the bad guy? ... How did that happen? I did everything they told me to.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

So Mitch is now trying to block the same witnesses he insists don’t have any dirt on Trump?

Addie

Post by Addie »

NPR: After 13 Hours Of Fiery Debate, Senate Adopts Impeachment Trial Rules
CNN: John Roberts scolds legal teams after tense exchange: 'Those addressing the Senate should remember where they are'
FiveThirtyEight: What Went Down At The Senate Impeachment Trial On Tuesday
TIME: How the Trump Impeachment Trial Rules Compare to Clinton's Trial
Vanity Fair: Trump’s Lawyers Don’t Think He Can Be Impeached for Abuse of Power—But William Barr Did

In a 2018 memo, the now-attorney general argued the exact opposite of what Trump’s lawyers now claim.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jeffrey wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 am
So Mitch is now trying to block the same witnesses he insists don’t have any dirt on Trump?
I know, right? The very same witnesses that (theoretically) could exonerate trump. If someone accused me of stealing their car on one side of town, and I had two witnesses who dined with me on the other side of town at that specific point in time, why wouldn't I want them to testify?

Well, unless I ended up firing one of them because they wouldn't lie for me...

rhetorical3.jpg

(I made this because the sarcasm emoji wasn't quite right. Without the benefit of face-to-face interaction and/or voice inflection, communication can sometimes be challenging. I am a smartass. When you're short and patted on your "adorable" head your entire life, you develop an attitude)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am
Justice Roberts: We must have civility and decorum in the courtroom. Mr. Schiff and Mr. Nadler. You are admonished for calling the opposing attorneys liars. Mr. Sekolow and Mr. Cippolone, you are admonished for actually lying.

"Both sides" my ass.

:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar
·
24m
Schiff has receipts of Trump publicly asking for both Ukraine and China to investigate the Bidens in a single soundbite from last October.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Schiff is doing well, compelling narrative. The video clips and other visuals are well done. Wonder what the defense has up their sleeves?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar
·
7m
Replying to
@atrupar
There's something tragic about how much effort Schiff and other Democratic impeachment managers have invested to make a convincingly argued case that Senate Republicans have no interest in listening to, let alone seriously considering
:yeah: :madguy:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Yamiche Alcindor
@Yamiche
·
4m
@jonkarl's excellent questioning of Mick Mulvaney at the White House now being played by Rep Schiff during Senate trial.

Return to “Impeachment”