SENATE: impeachment trial.

much ado

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by much ado »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm They weren't wearing MAGAt hats at trump's rally last night.
:jawdrop: Why not? Is there a shortage?
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Have any Rs commented on the new evidence? Even they must be uncomfortable with how clear it is that Trump is running a criminal syndicate out of the White House.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Jeffrey wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm Have any Rs commented on the new evidence? Even they must be uncomfortable with how clear it is that Trump is running a criminal syndicate out of the White House.
Welp, their State Run Media isn't talking about it:

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Capitol Hill reporters protest expected restrictions on media access during Senate impeachment trial

The organization representing daily reporters on Capitol Hill is protesting restrictions expected to be imposed on the news media during the Senate impeachment trial, saying the security crackdown will severely limit access to lawmakers and stifle coverage of the proceedings.

“Capitol Hill is one of the most accessible places in Washington, but the proposed restrictions exceed those put in place during the State of the Union, Inauguration Day or even during the Clinton impeachment trial 20 years ago,” Los Angeles Times congressional reporter Sarah D. Wire, who chairs the Standing Committee of Correspondents, said in a letter Tuesday to Senate leaders.

The letter — addressed to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — said Capitol security officials are considering measures that are all but certain to make it harder for journalists to report on the trial and question senators about their actions.

A magnetometer in the Senate press gallery will require reporters to trickle into the chamber one at a time. Electronic devices will be banned, leaving reporters to scuttle in and out of the room to send tweets and emails. Reporters will be placed in pens, roping them off and restricting their ability to speak freely with senators as they enter and exit.
Adding:
McClatchy: ‘No cameras, no C-Span, no coverage.’ Rules will limit access during Trump’s trial
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

TexasFilly wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:57 pm
Jeffrey wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm Have any Rs commented on the new evidence? Even they must be uncomfortable with how clear it is that Trump is running a criminal syndicate out of the White House.
Welp, their State Run Media isn't talking about it:

How many times will Hannity mention Hillary Clinton tonight? Will Carlson rerun his panda sex episode?
ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Oh, I'm sure Hunter Biden might merit a mention or 500.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Addie wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:08 pm WaPo
Capitol Hill reporters protest expected restrictions on media access during Senate impeachment trial

The organization representing daily reporters on Capitol Hill is protesting restrictions expected to be imposed on the news media during the Senate impeachment trial, saying the security crackdown will severely limit access to lawmakers and stifle coverage of the proceedings.

“Capitol Hill is one of the most accessible places in Washington, but the proposed restrictions exceed those put in place during the State of the Union, Inauguration Day or even during the Clinton impeachment trial 20 years ago,” Los Angeles Times congressional reporter Sarah D. Wire, who chairs the Standing Committee of Correspondents, said in a letter Tuesday to Senate leaders.

The letter — addressed to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) — said Capitol security officials are considering measures that are all but certain to make it harder for journalists to report on the trial and question senators about their actions.

A magnetometer in the Senate press gallery will require reporters to trickle into the chamber one at a time. Electronic devices will be banned, leaving reporters to scuttle in and out of the room to send tweets and emails. Reporters will be placed in pens, roping them off and restricting their ability to speak freely with senators as they enter and exit.
Adding:
McClatchy: ‘No cameras, no C-Span, no coverage.’ Rules will limit access during Trump’s trial

Unless, of course Hunter Biden testifies. Then it’s 24/7 coverage.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I'm concerned!

I think I'm going to drop some coin in her Democratic opponent's coffers. Research to follow.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I thought my opinion of Collins could sink no lower.

The House just got access to those documents, you walking, talking waste of oxygen that thinking people could be using to fucking do their jobs.

Jesus.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Collins's opponent is Sara Gideon. She is the Speaker of the Maine State House. Her website needs some updating.
I'm trying to figure out a plan to make my own contributions to important candidates. I'm not too keen right now on going through ActBlue.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

TexasFilly wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm Collins's opponent is Sara Gideon. She is the Speaker of the Maine State House. Her website needs some updating.
I'm trying to figure out a plan to make my own contributions to important candidates. I'm not too keen right now on going through ActBlue.
When you go through ActBlue it seems as if you get dozens of Democratic hopefuls blitzing you with demands for money. Donating at a candidate's website, you only get pounded by that candidate.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Collins: The House did an incomplete job! No matter they had to wait for a judge to rule!!! Now there's more evidence than ever this is a corrupt administration! Dismiss immediately before even more evidence is released!

Hell, evidence of trump's criminality is revealed weekly, if not daily. Who knows what we'll see by convention time.

Fuck her.
ImageImageImage x4
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:09 pm
TexasFilly wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:58 pm Collins's opponent is Sara Gideon. She is the Speaker of the Maine State House. Her website needs some updating.
When you go through ActBlue it seems as if you get dozens of Democratic hopefuls blitzing you with demands for money. Donating at a candidate's website, you only get pounded by that candidate.
Yeah, I had that happen with Obama. So I am going to set up a specific email account. I've discussed this with my spouse. He may be more outraged than I am* the last few years. He suggested I do it the old fashioned way: mail these campaigns a check. I like that idea.
Sekrit Stuffs!
*My FIL once told my husband: "Junior [sic] you were alright until you married that goddamn liberal lawyer!" :thumbs: My husband also has an education (see my signature).

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm
Fuck her.
I respectfully decline.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

Reuters
U.S. House votes to send Trump impeachment charges to Senate for trial

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Democratic-led House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to send two formal charges against President Donald Trump to the Senate, clearing the way for only the third impeachment trial of a U.S. president to begin in earnest next week.

Lawmakers voted 228 to 193 to give the Senate, controlled by Trump’s fellow Republicans, the task of putting him on trial on charges of abuse of power for asking Ukraine to investigate political rival Joe Biden and of obstruction of Congress for blocking testimony and documents sought by Democratic lawmakers.

The vote, which also approved a team of seven Democratic lawmakers named by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to serve as prosecutors in the trial, was largely along party lines.

The 100-seat Senate is expected to acquit Trump, keeping him in office, as none of its 53 Republicans has voiced support for removing him, a step that under the U.S. Constitution would require a two-thirds majority.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Miami Herald
Pelosi impeachment manager is calling for McConnell’s recusal from Trump Senate trial

A Florida congresswoman who on Wednesday became an impeachment manager in President Donald Trump’s upcoming Senate trial wants to remove the lead juror: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Rep Val Demings’ position, shared publicly by a just a few other Democrats, could undercut House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s efforts to frame impeachment as an exercise of constitutional duty. Republicans have argued for months that Democrats are on a partisan mission to remove Trump from office.

Yet in selecting Demings on Wednesday as one of the seven impeachment managers, Pelosi is giving a national spotlight to a Democrat who has often gone against House leaders on impeachment issues — she first called for Trump’s removal from office a year before party leadership and is now agitating for McConnell’s recusal.

Her opposition to McConnell’s participation in the Senate trial that is set to start next week stems from the Kentucky Republican boasting that he won’t be impartial in deciding whether Trump should be acquitted or convicted.
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times - Carl Hulse
Its Reputation Tattered, Polarized Senate Faces a Steep Impeachment Test

A partisan start to the trial stands in contrast to a consensus approach struck in 1999, the last time the Senate weighed the fate of a president.

WASHINGTON — It is finally the Senate’s turn. And if recent history is any guide, President Trump’s impeachment trial will be an intensely partisan display that will make the polarization of the Clinton era look like a bygone period of political harmony.

While Democrats and Republicans managed to unanimously come to terms on how to start President Bill Clinton’s trial in 1999, the two parties — and their two leaders — are today irreconcilably divided on how to proceed and whether the trial is even legitimate.

Hanging over the showdown is a decade of intensifying Senate conflict exemplified by ruthless party-line rule changes, constant filibusters, the Republican blockade of Judge Merrick B. Garland, poisonous confirmation fights and a dearth of legislative action as Senate leaders shy from votes that could threaten incumbents up for re-election.

The Trump trial provides an opportunity for senators to show that the institution can still rise above brutal partisan combat at a moment of constitutional gravity. But there is little reason for optimism as Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, has repeatedly expressed deep disdain for the House proceedings and the conduct of his political rivals across the aisle, a reflection of the view held by most of his Republican colleagues. ...

In contrast, Mr. McConnell and his Democratic counterpart, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, are not in talks about the ground rules for the Trump trial. Instead, Mr. McConnell is plunging ahead and next week, he plans to set the parameters purely with Republican votes if necessary, leaving some of the larger questions, including whether to call witnesses as demanded by Democrats, until later.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So, anyone up for an over/under thread regarding how many days it will take for the Senate to acquit Trump? My take is they will dispose of this little inconvenience in fairly short order. After all, they have a long list of unqualified right wing nut jobs to appoint to federal courts. We can't stop that progress,
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:39 am So, anyone up for an over/under thread regarding how many days it will take for the Senate to acquit Trump? My take is they will dispose of this little inconvenience in fairly short order. After all, they have a long list of unqualified right wing nut jobs to appoint to federal courts. We can't stop that progress,
On the flip side, where would we be if we had all three branches dominated by the party of Individual-1? I often wonder about that. And how much into apoplexy a fully Democratic-led Senate and House would make Individual-1.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

RVInit wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:39 am So, anyone up for an over/under thread regarding how many days it will take for the Senate to acquit Trump? My take is they will dispose of this little inconvenience in fairly short order. After all, they have a long list of unqualified right wing nut jobs to appoint to federal courts. We can't stop that progress,
Well, the important thing is that all the lefty voters who stayed home in 2016 because HRC just wasn't "inspiring" enough or "but her emails!" will totally accept responsibility for the fact that federal courts will be an immovable object blocking their desired agenda from being implemented for the next forty years, right?

Oh, wait. They'll just blame everyone else again. You can already hear the Bernie crowd all but admitting they won't support anyone else this time around.

And now I'm depressed again.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 am On the flip side, where would we be if we had all three branches dominated by the party of Individual-1? I often wonder about that. And how much into apoplexy a fully Democratic-led Senate and House would make Individual-1.
Just a reminder - you did, for his first 2 years.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 am On the flip side, where would we be if we had all three branches dominated by the party of Individual-1? I often wonder about that. And how much into apoplexy a fully Democratic-led Senate and House would make Individual-1.
Apples and oranges, IMO, but for the record:

When Obama Had “Total Control of Congress”
The swearing in of Kirk finally gave Democrats 60 votes (at least potentially) in the Senate. “Total control” of Congress by Democrats lasted all of 4 months. From September 24, 2009 through February 4, 2010...at which point Scott Brown, a Republican, was sworn in to replace Kennedy’s Massachusetts seat.
Also, may I suggest with respect that you might want to reconsider using the word "you" in contexts such as this.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am
Yes, but he was still feeling out how corrupt he could be. And McCain was there with the occasional spine. Graham wasn’t all in. Now we have everyone all in under the senate “leader.”
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:16 am Also, may I suggest with respect that you might want to reconsider using the word "you" in contexts such as this.
I'm an outsider looking in. I always remember that. There was no disrespect intended, it was just an expression of reality.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

► Show Spoiler
Manu Raju @mkraju

Sen. Martha McSally, a Republican facing a difficult election race, lashed out when I asked if she would consider new evidence as part of the Senate trial. “You’re a liberal hack - I’m not talking to you. You’re a liberal hack.” She then walked into a hearing room.
:lol: They don't know how to respond to this new evidence except name-calling.

Return to “Impeachment”