SENATE: impeachment trial.

Chilidog

SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by Chilidog »

A new thread for the as of yet unscheduled trial.

To kick it off, I hear that the White House has tapped Cipollone to be the lead in the Senate trial.

Addie

Re: SENATE: impeachment trial.

Post by Addie »

The Guardian OpEd - Michael H Fuchs
Impeaching Donald Trump is not enough. The case for conviction

The US Senate must show America, and the world, that there are consequences for presidents who abuse their power ...

And while the impeachment is focused on Trump’s actions on Ukraine, the reasons why he must be convicted and removed from office go far beyond this incident. As the articles of impeachment state: “President Trump … has demonstrated that he will remain a threat to national security and the Constitution if allowed to remain in office …” Ukraine was not Trump’s first attempt to get foreign help for his campaign; it was “consistent with President Trump’s previous invitations of foreign interference in United States elections.”

First was Russia. Let’s recall: Trump aided the efforts of a foreign power – Russia – to attack and undermine America’s 2016 election in order to help himself win; Trump publicly asked Russia to hack the emails of his campaign opponent, which Russia did later that very day; Trump’s campaign met with Russian representatives to receive dirt on Hillary Clinton; and then Trump repeatedly obstructed the investigation into the collusion. Special counsel Robert Mueller outlined it all in his report.

While Mueller was finalizing his investigation, Trump and his associates were in the midst of an effort to extort Ukraine into smearing Trump’s potential political rival, former vice-president Joe Biden. The day after Mueller testified before Congress, Trump asked Zelenskiy for a “favor” to smear Biden and resuscitate a debunked conspiracy theory about the 2016 election. Trump enlisted US government officials to pressure Ukraine by withholding US military assistance and a White House meeting with the new Ukrainian president until Ukraine announced an investigation that would help Trump.

Then, in the midst of the Ukraine scandal, Trump asked China to help his campaign by investigating Biden. Turns out Trump may have been asking China for this help for a while, with one report stating that Trump discussed Biden with Chinese president Xi Jinping and an informal Trump adviseor on China claiming that he discussed the issue with Chinese officials. You heard that right: the president of the United States also asked perhaps America’s greatest geopolitical competitor to help his re-election campaign.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

So after the Democrats gave me no Due Process in the House, no lawyers, no witnesses, no nothing, they now want to tell the Senate how to run their trial. Actually, they have zero proof of anything, they will never even show up. They want out. I want an immediate trial!

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

There's no way that this sleezeball senate run by moscow mitch convicts.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:46 pm

So after the Democrats gave me no Due Process in the House, no lawyers, no witnesses, no nothing, they now want to tell the Senate how to run their trial. Actually, they have zero proof of anything, they will never even show up. They want out. I want an immediate trial!
He wants an immediate circus.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

If Moscow Mitch allows an actual fair trial, he is gonna end up having to choose between holding the majority and letting some of these senators vote to convict. Donny doesn't understand this because he's a moron. Nancy is triangulating.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Turtle wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:00 am
If Moscow Mitch allows an actual fair trial, he is gonna end up having to choose between holding the majority and letting some of these senators vote to convict. Donny doesn't understand this because he's a moron. Nancy is triangulating.
Nancy is brilliant.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Breitbart (!):
Schumer: Pelosi Withholding Impeachment Articles Is a ‘Win-Win’ for Democrats
PAM KEY 19 Dec 2019

On Thursday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) argued that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) holding off sending the articles of impeachment to the Senate was a “win-win,” for Democrats.

Schumer said, “A lot of Nancy’s colleagues went to her and thought it was a good idea. And she thought it through, and she said if I’m not going to know the outlines of the trial, how do I know which managers to choose.”

He continued, “Second, she said I don’t want to send it over to just have a sham trial, and that’s what McConnell is headed for now is sham trial at least if he has his own way. And so I think it’s a good idea to not draw a line in the sand and she hasn’t done that but to say let’s wait, let’s see how things evolve in the Senate. I think that’s working well because when people say why is she waiting because we want witnesses and we want documents. You know, it just drives the message home.”

He added, “I think we’ll follow it as goes. Nancy and I will talk constantly over the Christmas Holiday, and we’ll see how it goes. But I think not jumping in and giving them the impeachment articles right away as they are not ready to do the fair trial we want but a sham. And let’s say we don’t win the Republicans over, I’m very hopeful, optimistic, expect we will win some of them over. But if we don’t, we will show that this trial and the no vote on impeaching Trump, on throwing him out of office is really not based on any fact, not based on any evidence, is a sham. So it’s sort of a win-win. I’d rather get the evidence and see what happens. And even if they say things that are not in our favor, we would have done the Constitution a favor by making sure that all the facts get out through this trial and God forbid any future one.”
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2019/12 ... rt+News%29
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season coming in March on weTV!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Turtle wrote:
:thumbs:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:28 am
Turtle wrote:
Nancy is brilliant.
:thumbs:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Moscow Mitch is not happy.
Yesterday I delivered remarks on the Senate floor and I wanted to share with you a couple of very important facts regarding the Democrats partisan impeachment of President Trump.

The Democrats have been working toward last night’s impeachment of President Trump since the night he was elected in 2016. The House's vote yesterday was not some neutral judgment that Democrats came to reluctantly. It was the predetermined end of a partisan crusade that began before President Trump was even sworn in.

Last night, after months of secret hearings, private basement meetings and denying President Trump due process, the House Democrats concluded the most rushed, least thorough, and most unfair impeachment inquiry in modern history.

The House Democrats impeached a president whom they do not even allege has committed an actual crime known to our laws. They impeached simply because they disagree with a presidential act and question the motive behind it.

While those who voted FOR impeachment were totally partisan, opposition to the impeachment was bi-partisan.

Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats are so concerned about their shoddy work, they are now suggesting they may not deliver their partisan articles of impeachment to the Senate for a fair trial.

The Senate is committed to a fair and just trial based on facts and due process.

I think it is completely outrageous that now Nancy Pelosi is threatening to stall impeachment from going to the Senate. My message to Nancy Pelosi and the House Democrats is that they had their turn, they failed, and now it is the Senate’s turn to fulfill our duty as the stabilizing, institution-preserving, fever-breaking role for which the United States Senate was created!

While the House Democrats ran a completely partisan and unfair process, the Senate is committed to a fair trial. Will you stand with me?

The Democrats have shown the extremely low levels they will stoop to when they are in charge. Our Senate Majority is the only thing stopping the Democrats.

I need your support to help us defend the majority. Will you please chip in whatever you can now?

Thanks,

Mitch McConnell

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

How long did his nose grow with that?

And a U. S. Senator’s office should check their punctuation before putting out a letter: missing apostrophe in first paragraph.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times - Paul Krugman
Democrats May Save Us Yet

America’s defenders of democracy take a stand.

Wednesday’s impeachment of Donald Trump was neither a surprise nor a turning point. We’ve known for weeks that the House would vote to impeach. We also know, as surely as we can know anything in politics, that a Republican-controlled Senate won’t convict Trump and remove him from office; it may not even pretend to consider the evidence. So it would be easy to be cynical about the whole thing.

But that’s not how it felt. For me, and no doubt for millions of my fellow citizens, Wednesday was a very emotional day — a day of both despair and hope.

The reasons for despair are obvious. We could so easily lose everything America is supposed to stand for. The birthplace of liberty may very well be just months away from abandoning all its ideals.

But there were also reasons for hope.

The enemies of freedom are, it turns out, as shameless and corrupt here as they are in nations, from Hungary to Turkey, in which democracy has effectively collapsed. But the defenders of American democracy seem more united and determined than their counterparts abroad. The big question is whether that difference — that true American exceptionalism — will be enough to save us.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times Editorial
President Trump Deserves a Real Trial

Mitch McConnell’s plan to rush to an acquittal is an affront to the Constitution and a disservice to the nation.

With its Wednesday night vote to impeach President Trump for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, the House of Representatives — or at least its Democratic majority — fulfilled its duty to uphold the constitutional principle of checks and balances.

On Thursday morning, the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, reported that her office had been hearing from Americans who had “a spring in their step” because, at long last, “the president was held accountable.”

If only it were so.

The House’s impeachment vote was far from the final word on presidential accountability. The action is now poised to move to the Republican-controlled Senate, which holds the authority to conduct a trial to determine whether Mr. Trump should be removed from office. Unfortunately, Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, appears to have little interest in fulfilling his responsibility to the Constitution or the American people.

Dismissing the House inquiry as “rushed and rigged,” Mr. McConnell warned in a speech Thursday on the Senate floor that taking the House’s case seriously was a risk to the Republic. “If the Senate blesses this slapdash impeachment, if we say that from now on this is enough, then we invite an endless parade of impeachable trials,” he said. “The Senate must put this right.”

This is the kind of through-the-looking-glass logic that is a signature of Mr. Trump’s style, and, like everything else about him, increasingly of his party’s: accuse your rival of the transgression you yourself are committing.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:19 am
Moscow Mitch is not happy.
:snippity:

The Democrats have been working toward last night’s impeachment of President Trump since the night he was elected in 2016. The House's vote yesterday was not some neutral judgment that Democrats came to reluctantly. It was the predetermined end of a partisan crusade that began before President Trump was even sworn in.

:snippity:
If you know that, why is your dotus so moronic to deliver them all the evidence they need. Why are you so moronic to let him do that? That's like running into a open knife, or a Florida man shooting his family jewels. (NADT)

Tink

Post by Tink »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:06 pm
How long did his nose grow with that?

And a U. S. Senator’s office should check their punctuation before putting out a letter: missing apostrophe in first paragraph.
And, a comma in the same paragraph. He didn't write out that statement himself, it was transcribed to a staffer who apparently did not pay attention in school. Doesn't anyone proofread anymore?

I want to know what they have on old Mitch for him to stoop this low.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Apparently the guy who-functions-as-head-juror recently announced he is coordinating with the defendant's atty and guaranteed to acquit the defendant, and is now upset the investigative branch is concerned about the trial's integrity just because...the guy (WFAHJ) announced he is coordinating with the defendant's atty to acquit the defendant.

Is that about right?
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:47 am
Apparently the guy who-functions-as-head-juror recently announced he is coordinating with the defendant's atty and guaranteed to acquit the defendant, and is now upset the investigative branch is concerned about the trial's integrity just because...the guy (WFAHJ) announced he is coordinating with the defendant's atty to acquit the defendant.

Is that about right?
:winner:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

Newsweek
Former Trump Official Anthony Scaramucci Names Four Witnesses Whose Senate Testimony Would Force President To Resign

Former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said President Donald Trump would be forced to resign if the Senate were to call any one of four people to testify in the upcoming impeachment trial.

Scaramucci, who served less than two weeks in the Trump administration in 2017, remarked that Trump couldn't "handle the heat of that testimony" Saturday morning as a panelist on MSNBC's AM Joy, hosted by Joy Reid.

At the start of the discussion, Scaramucci went after Senate Republicans, whom he accused of "allowing" Trump to break the law. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell previously sparked outrage among Democrats by vowing to work "in total coordination" with the White House ahead of the Senate impeachment trial, which will determine whether or not the now-impeached president will see out his term in office.

"Joy, we haven't even seen the primary witness testimony. Those four people, whether it's Mulvaney, Bolton, Giuliani, Pompeo—if they have to testify under oath, he has to leave," Scaramucci told Reid, referring to the Acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney; former National Security Adviser John Bolton; Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani; and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Any one of the four, in Scaramucci's estimation, could provide enough direct evidence of the president's alleged misdeeds to motivate him to resign rather than face the fallout from their revelations. ...

"He's going to be scoundrel No. 1 because he's going to leave before that testimony is brought," Scaramucci concluded.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

This is not the first occasion of Scaramucci's hyperbole.

And it will not be the last.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

If it gives impotus more sleepless night I am all for it :twisted:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I wonder if this is Mooch's version of reverse psychology. "Mooch says I'm afraid of so and so testifying so I'll show him. I'll order them to testify."

Nah, just overthinking things again. But it probably wouldn't hurt to get a hashtag going.
ImageImageImage x4

tek

Post by tek »

#TrumpIsChickenShit ?
There's no way back
from there to here

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Newsweek should be embarrassed. So should Joy Reid. Is Mooch mentioning anyone that every other observer hasn't mentioned? No. Where is the story.

I hate this skimming over the surface of what is happening in this country. For laughs.

Another batch of State Department people resigned this week. Republicans are craven cowards. White nationalism is the policy in the White House--except the words themselves are banned.

But having a corporate clown presenting obvious and off-repeated statements as if they were his idea is news.

Excuse me while I go back to the Olympic Channel and watch the biathlon.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani »

p0rtia wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:22 am
Newsweek should be embarrassed. So should Joy Reid. Is Mooch mentioning anyone that every other observer hasn't mentioned? No. Where is the story.

I hate this skimming over the surface of what is happening in this country. For laughs.

Another batch of State Department people resigned this week. Republicans are craven cowards. White nationalism is the policy in the White House--except the words themselves are banned.

But having a corporate clown presenting obvious and off-repeated statements as if they were his idea is news.

Excuse me while I go back to the Olympic Channel and watch the biathlon.
Yeah. I try to turn off the news and watch junk tv, or figure skating, or The Crown. But I always go back to watching our country devolve while the media diminishes the change that is occurring. I don't have much hope. They've taken control of the executive branch, the senate and the courts. I'm suspicious about Kennedy's sudden retirement, and I cried when he was replaced. If we've lost SCOTUS, there's not much hope for the Constitution.

I'm surrounded by people who think impeaching 45 guarantees re-election. What are we supposed to do? Just let Trump & his white nationalist buddies destroy the country? I'd rather take a stand, even a losing one, instead of going quietly without leaving any record of the people who tried to stop it.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “Impeachment”