Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanor

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:35 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am
Yeah, I was looking for Swalwell, too.
AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am
I'm surprised Swalwell wasn't included, but I'm good with those who were.
He's pretty good as a well-informed commentator on MSNBC, so we'll get to hear from him, which I think might not be true if he was one of the impeachment managers.
There are show horses and work horses. Swalwell was one of the former.

(Another show horse, who thankfully is no longer in Congress, was Anthony Weiner. Of course, after a while we learned that his real problem was what he was showing online. His Weiner.)

AndyinPA

Re: Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanor

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

The Hill
Roberts, senators to be sworn in Thursday for impeachment trial

Chief Justice John Roberts and every senator will be sworn in as soon as Thursday for the soon-to-begin impeachment trial.

A Senate GOP leadership aide said on Wednesday that the House managers are expected to come to the chamber on Thursday to read the articles of impeachment against President Trump.

After that Chief Justice John Roberts is expected to be sworn in. He will then swear in all 100 senators, according to the aide.

The new details on what the first few days of the impeachment trial will look like comes after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) announced the seven House impeachment managers on Wednesday. The House is expected to vote later Wednesday to formally name the managers and transmit the two impeachment articles to the Senate.

The move will shift the impeachment fight to the Senate after a weeks-long delay amid a standoff between Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

To my surprise and relief, I'm quite happy with (mostly) all of the manager designations.

Schiff and Nadler are obvious, and Schiff has to be the lead manager. Schiff is telegenic and a good communicator. Nadler's strengths, it's fair to say, lie elsewhere.

Lofgren is a great choice. She has more experience in impeachment proceedings than anyone else. Since we're swimming in mostly uncharted waters here, it seems prudent to bring someone who has at least been here before.

Jeffries is being groomed. He sees himself (with good reason) as a potential successor to Pelosi for the leadership, and has been doing yeoman's work as caucus chair. This will raise his profile and reward him for his loyalty to the leadership and the party. Also he's very good on TV, and the diversity factor doesn't hurt. Had Elijah Cummings not passed away, this would likely have been his slot.

Demmings isn't as big of a celebrity congresscritter as some of her colleagues on the Intelligence Committee (Jackie Spier, Ted Lieu, and Eric Swalwell come to mind), but she's reputed to be a hard worker, and her years as a cop maker her interesting. And Stern is absolutely right that she has been an excellent questioner in committee hearings. Maybe she can utilize the Reid Technique at the trial?

Crow is in his very first term representing what used to be Tom Tancredo's district that flipped in 2018. To call this his big break is a tremendous understatement, but obviously his military background and "majority-maker" suburban district make him a good fit politically - he's certainly not a member of The Squad. Also the increased visibility will help him a lot with fundraising for a re-elect that will be contested in November. If he's an experienced litigator, then so much the better.

Garcia is the only manager I think you might be able to argue is there for demographics. It looks better to have a diverse group of managers, and a Hispanic woman obviously helps. She has a good reputation, but she's also brand new, and her district is safe. Her district is next door to Sheila Jackson Lee's, and Jackson Lee has her crushed in terms of seniority and experience in Congress, so that's why I mention the demographic thing. I don't think it's bad pick, and I don't even think it's a bad idea to have an ethnically-diverse team of managers. I just think Garcia is the one that kind of sticks out a little. Honestly, if I'm picking managers, I probably swap her for Jamie Raskin, because Raskin's ability to argue constitutional law might be very useful in the context of a Senate trial. Still, there are good reasons not to put another white dude on the team. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

USA Today
Top Democrat demands probe of 'profoundly alarming' threats against former U.S. Ambassador Yovanovitch

WASHINGTON – A top House Democrat demanded an investigation Wednesday into new evidence suggesting that former U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch was under surveillance by associates of Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal lawyer.

The evidence emerged Tuesday when House Democrats released text messages and other documents gathered as part of the impeachment probe into Trump's efforts to pressure Ukraine for an investigation into a political rival.

The text messages reveal that an associate of Giuliani's, Lev Parnas, was in contact with Robert Hyde, a pro-Trump congressional candidate in Connecticut who claimed to have Yovanovitch under surveillance. Parnas worked with Giuliani to execute Trump's Ukraine pressure campaign. ...

Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y., the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, called the messages "profoundly alarming" and said he would demand documents and a briefing from State Department officials to find out what they knew, if anything, about the threats against Yovanovitch.

"The messages suggest a possible risk to Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch’s security in Kiev before she was recalled from her post last year," Engel said. Trump yanked her from the ambassador post early after Giuliani complained that she was obstructing efforts to get Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden.

"This unprecedented threat to our diplomats must be thoroughly investigated and, if warranted, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Engel said.
Adding:
MSNBC: House Intel member: New Parnas documents ‘require another full investigation’

Rep. Mike Quigley calls the new revelations in the Parnas-Giuliani documents "deeply disturbing" and asks, "Who gave the orders to do this, to surveil a U.S. ambassador?” and “Who was making these threats?” Jill Wine-Banks and Mieke Eoyang also discuss.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Reuters
U.S. House votes to send Trump impeachment charges to Senate for trial

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Democratic-led House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to send two formal charges against President Donald Trump to the Senate, clearing the way for only the third impeachment trial of a U.S. president to begin in earnest next week.

Lawmakers voted 228 to 193 to give the Senate, controlled by Trump’s fellow Republicans, the task of putting him on trial on charges of abuse of power for asking Ukraine to investigate political rival Joe Biden and of obstruction of Congress for blocking testimony and documents sought by Democratic lawmakers.

The vote, which also approved a team of seven Democratic lawmakers named by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to serve as prosecutors in the trial, was largely along party lines.

The 100-seat Senate is expected to acquit Trump, keeping him in office, as none of its 53 Republicans has voiced support for removing him, a step that under the U.S. Constitution would require a two-thirds majority.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

Miami Herald
Pelosi impeachment manager is calling for McConnell’s recusal from Trump Senate trial

A Florida congresswoman who on Wednesday became an impeachment manager in President Donald Trump’s upcoming Senate trial wants to remove the lead juror: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Rep Val Demings’ position, shared publicly by a just a few other Democrats, could undercut House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s efforts to frame impeachment as an exercise of constitutional duty. Republicans have argued for months that Democrats are on a partisan mission to remove Trump from office.

Yet in selecting Demings on Wednesday as one of the seven impeachment managers, Pelosi is giving a national spotlight to a Democrat who has often gone against House leaders on impeachment issues — she first called for Trump’s removal from office a year before party leadership and is now agitating for McConnell’s recusal.

Her opposition to McConnell’s participation in the Senate trial that is set to start next week stems from the Kentucky Republican boasting that he won’t be impartial in deciding whether Trump should be acquitted or convicted.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Aaron Rupar
@atrupar
·
59s
The nonpartisan GAO ruled just moments ago that the Trump administration's move to withhold aid to Ukraine was illegal
Quote Tweet

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· 5m
“There is no crime here. I just think this whole thing should be rejected out of hand. I wouldn’t waste a minute of taxpayer dollars or time on this. Entertaining this Impeachment is a joke.” Laura Ingraham @IngrahamAngle @FoxNews
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

MSNBC
@MSNBC
·
55s
BREAKING: Trump admin. violated the law by withholding military aid to Ukraine, US Government Accountability Office says in report:

"Faithful execution of the law does not permit the President to substitute his own policy priorities for those that Congress has enacted into law."

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Dems plan marathon prep for Senate trial, wary of Trump trying to 'game' the process

The House Democrats prosecuting the impeachment of President Trump are planning a marathon preparation session ahead of next week's Senate trial, using the long holiday weekend to polish their case that the president abused his power in his dealings with Ukraine.

The seven impeachment managers tapped to make the Democrats' case before the Senate will return to Washington on Sunday to dig through the extensive record built over the course of the months-long investigation that led to Trump's impeachment last month, according to aides working on impeachment.

They'll be joined by staffers and counselors for the Intelligence, Judiciary and Oversight committees, all working to "refine" their arguments before taking their case to the Senate trial, with launches in earnest on Tuesday. The extensive preparations will include a walk-through of the Senate chamber.

"The case is not a complicated one," said one Democratic aide working on the process. "The safety and security of the United States, of our Constitution ... [and] our democracy domestically rests on elections. And when the president invites a foreign government to announce investigations attacking a political opponent, he's undermining our democracy."

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

thread:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1218 ... 47297.html

Rachel "The Doc" Bitecofer 📈🔭 @RachelBitecofer
an hour ago, 11 tweets, 3 min read

A good time to do another 30,000 ft view post again

The entire Admin ran an illegal scheme to withhold military aid from Ukraine. Literally all of them were involved, & thus when the scandal broke, they all lied at multiple points (except Mulvaney) & thus obstructed justice.

In a practical sense, this means the country's Sec of State oversaw the investigation into a scandal he was personally involved in. The Rep Party's minority party chair @DevinNunes oversaw the House impeachment hearing into a scandal he was personally involved in. The Atty Gen Bill Barr used his position as Atty Gen of the United States to try to squash the "whistleblower complaint" bc it brought to light a scandal he was personally involved in. Once that failed, he used his position as Atty Gen to hamper the investigation.

Through it all, they told the American public that the event never happened, not only knowing it did, but after having been personally involved in it. They all still sit in positions in which they can and ARE using the powers of their offices to thwart investigations into their own activities. This is also the case for the Vice President, Mike Pence.

Via control by their party of the Senate, these individuals are planning on using the rules of the Senate's impeachment power to avoid having to answer questions under oath about their involvement in what now has been declared a
crime by the GAO. The GOP is using the powers of majority status of the Senate, and control of what is supposed to be an impartial Justice department, to obstruct justice, by refusing to have evidence or call these Admin officials as witnesses, at least thus far.

I remind you of all of that bc although the level of malfeasance in the Admin may be similar to Watergate in that the scandal involved multiple players in the Admin, we are in totally new territory in that these revelations about Barr and Nunes have not forced these men out of their positions Most esp Barr, who as AG has MASSIVE influence over the federal law enforcement apparatus.

The fact that our system, in addition to all of the other issues (a likely acquittal despite inarguable violations of the office) perhaps the MOST serious is that our system is functioning is this completely unprecedented place where there appears to be no accountability in the Cabinet.

Keep in mind at the beginning of this administration we saw cabinet members forced out due to excessive travel expenses and outlandish furniture purchases. BC that's how the OLD system was. It had tightly constrained rules of acceptable conduct and norms.

And now look where we are in terms of both Pompeo and Barr and utter lack of even a conversation about the fact that they should still be in their jobs. Its very telling as to how much destruction has already been wrought on our political culture, our norms, and this democracy. We have lost a great deal of our 240 year institutional integrity and it seems to be that few are really focusing on this "big picture" problem.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I continue to lament the fact that the House did not add a simple bribery count. Big mistake. Sometimes taking the intellectual high road is self defeating. Especially here since this was not an intellectual but a political and legal exercise.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:30 am
I continue to lament the fact that the House did not add a simple bribery count. Big mistake. Sometimes taking the intellectual high road is self defeating. Especially here since this was not an intellectual but a political and legal exercise.
:yeah: I will never understand that decision.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

Salon - Lucian K. Truscott IV
The man who knows too much: Lev Parnas is the smoking gun on Ukraine scandal

Parnas says Trump, Pence, Pompeo, Bolton and Giuliani all knew. He is why no witnesses will testify in the Senate

Revelations this week by Rudy Giuliani's henchman Lev Parnas in interviews with MSNBC, CNN and the New York Times blew Iran out of the headlines and landed on Capitol Hill like a bomb. Here was an insider in the Ukraine conspiracy not only willing to talk, but to provide documents to back up allegations he has made about Trump's shakedown of Volodymyr Zelensky to get dirt on his potential Democratic opponent, Joe Biden.

Parnas is the reason Republicans are so scared of opening the Senate trial of Trump to witness testimony. According to Parnas, everyone was in on the Ukraine scheme. Trump himself, of course, but also Vice President Mike Pence was in on it. So was Attorney General William Barr, so was Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and so were Secretary of Energy Rick Perry and national security adviser John Bolton. At the very center of the scheme, according to Parnas, was the man he worked for, Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani.

Parnas has letters, text messages, contemporaneous notes, travel documents and more to back up his recollections of what happened as Trump tried to muscle Ukraine into aiding his re-election campaign by announcing an investigation of Biden. Trump was obviously getting ready to pound Biden with Ukraine conspiracy allegations the same way he pounded Hillary Clinton about her emails in 2016. Hey, it worked once! Why not?

After testimony by 10 witnesses before the House Intelligence Committee last fall, new information has continued to roll in. We have recently learned that the order to withhold the $400 million in congressionally appropriated aid to Ukraine came the day after Trump's "perfect" phone call with the Ukrainian president last July 25. More recently, a series of emails and other contacts at the top of the Trump administration questioning the legality of the sequestering of the funds has come to light. And now we've got Parnas and his trove of texts, notes, letters and other documents that back up his stories about working for Giuliani to get former Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch fired, and all the machinations surrounding the shakedown of Ukraine's president and other officials to get them to investigate Biden.

But too little attention has been paid to the oldest question of all: Cui bono? Who benefits? Trump, of course. But how? Was it all about Biden, or was there something else Trump was trying to accomplish? Scratch the surface of the Ukraine scandal, and what you see is Russia, and Trump's old pal, Vladimir Putin.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

'Take her out': Recording appears to capture Trump at private dinner saying he wants Ukraine ambassador fired

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/recordi ... d=68506437
A recording reviewed by ABC News appears to capture President Donald Trump telling associates he wanted the then-U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch fired while speaking at a small gathering that included Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman -- two former business associates of Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani who have since been indicted in New York.

The recording appears to contradict statements by President Trump and support the narrative that has been offered by Parnas during broadcast interviews in recent days. Sources familiar with the recording said the recording was made during an intimate April 30, 2018, dinner at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.

Trump has said repeatedly he does not know Parnas, a Soviet-born American who has emerged as a wild card in Trump’s impeachment trial, especially in the days since Trump was impeached.

"Get rid of her!" is what the voice that appears to be President Trump’s is heard saying. "Get her out tomorrow. I don't care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Okay? Do it."

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vox - Andrew Prokop: A secret recording of a Trump dinner confirms one of Lev Parnas’s allegations

ABC News broke news of the recording Friday.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:46 pm
Vox - Andrew Prokop: A secret recording of a Trump dinner confirms one of Lev Parnas’s allegations

ABC News broke news of the recording Friday.
The Daily Beast’s Betsy Swan reports that the recording was taken by Parnas’s associate Igor Fruman. A copy of it is currently in the custody of prosecutors from the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York (who indicted Parnas and Fruman on charges of campaign finance violations in October). Fruman worked closely with Parnas and Giuliani in the effort to obtain Biden dirt from Ukrainians.
That's intriguing.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Walter Shaub
@waltshaub
·
16m
It is absolutely sickening that this man decided he'd rather turn a profit than fulfill his duty to his country by testifying before the House of representatives.
Quote Tweet

Michael S. Schmidt
@nytmike
· 26m
EXCLUSIVE: Bolton's book draft says Trump told him in August that he wanted to continue freezing aid to Ukraine until they helped with investigations into rivals. w/@maggieNYT https://nytimes.com/2020/01/26/us/polit ... raine.html

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Should have taken the Hunter for Bolton witness deal.

tek

Post by tek »

So were Bolton called to testify, what does this do to any claim of privilege?
There's no way back
from there to here

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Jeffrey wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:36 pm
Neither of the Bidens has anything to do with impeachment and don't belong anywhere near it.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Jeffrey wrote:
Who offered that deal?
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a joint project of the U.S. and Canada

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Reality Check wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 am
Jeffrey wrote:
Who offered that deal?
I don't think such an offer was ever actually made, but there was some speculation about it as a hypothetical deal.
Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand... - "Witch Hunt" by Rush

Thor promised to slay the Ice Giants
God promised to quell all evil
I'm not seeing any Ice Giants... :thor:

tek

Post by tek »

Lindsey just said, approximately, "I don't know if we need to hear from Bolton, I'll know thursday. But if we hear from a witness that the democrats want, we'll certainly call the Bidens"

Which is again, baloney. The GOP is running the show, they can call anyone they want. They don't need a "deal."

It is all theater.
There's no way back
from there to here

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

tek wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am
Lindsey just said, approximately, "I don't know if we need to hear from Bolton, I'll know thursday. But if we hear from a witness that the democrats want, we'll certainly call the Bidens"

Which is again, baloney. The GOP is running the show, they can call anyone they want. They don't need a "deal."

It is all theater.
Yep, it's a big bluff.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “Impeachment”