Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.

Slim Cognito

Re: Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanor

Post by Slim Cognito »

Someone on either CNN or MSNBC connected two points for me. Of course, neither Biden would be a relevant witness. Everyone realizes that. The purpose of calling them as witnesses is to continue their attack on trump's most likely opponent. They're simply moving the (very public but bogus) Biden investigation from Ukraine to the Senate.
ImageImageImage x4

pipistrelle

Re: Judiciary: H.Res.755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanor

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 pm
Someone on either CNN or MSNBC connected two points for me. Of course, neither Biden would be a relevant witness. Everyone realizes that. The purpose of calling them as witnesses is to continue their attack on trump's most likely opponent. They're simply moving the (very public but bogus) Biden investigation from Ukraine to the Senate.
Exactly.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

The Hill
House Foreign Affairs chairman says Bolton urged him in September to look into Yovanovitch ouster

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) on Wednesday said former national security adviser John Bolton had suggested to him in September that his panel should look into the ouster of former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch, whose controversial departure has become a focal point of President Trump's impeachment trial.

Engel released his statement in response to Trump, who earlier on Wednesday questioned on Twitter why Bolton hadn't raised any concerns over his administration's conduct following his departure as national security adviser on Sept. 10.

“President Trump is wrong that John Bolton didn’t say anything about the Trump-Ukraine Scandal at the time the President fired him. He said something to me," Engel said in his statement.

“He and I spoke by telephone on September 23," he added. "On that call, Ambassador Bolton suggested to me—unprompted—that the committee look into the recall of Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch. He strongly implied that something improper had occurred around her removal as our top diplomat in Kyiv."
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

I see the Biden(s)' testimony like this:

IMPOTUS' defense: I shot the guy on Fifth Avenue because the sun was blue and I thought he was using his mind-warping powers to make it blue. I was doing everyone a favor by shooting the bad mind-warping guy.

IMPOTUS' lawyer: We want to call the sun as a witness! If it really was blue, that matters!
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Mag - Jonathan Chait
The Republican Cover-up Will Backfire. The House Can Keep Investigating Trump.

Toward the end, the impeachment trial’s strategic purpose narrowed into an obsessive quest to produce evidence. Democrats have defined victory not as removal, but as winning a procedural vote to allow more testimony, especially by John Bolton. The House managers have designed their arguments not to reinforce Trump’s guilt but to underscore the need for more testimony. They seem to have given little attention to the question of whether such a victory would actually serve their larger strategic purposes at all. Republicans may have succeeded in blocking all new evidence and driving toward the rapid conclusion they seek, bu the tactical victory may well become a strategic defeat.

If the several days that have passed since the Bolton revelation have proved anything, it is just how uninterested Republicans are in holding Trump to account for his misconduct. Initially, even Trump’s staunchest supporters conceded that pressuring Ukraine to investigate Trump’s rivals would be, if true, unacceptable. (Lindsey Graham: “very disturbing”; Steve Doocy: “off-the-rails-wrong.”) As evidence of guilt accumulated, their denial that this unacceptable conduct took place narrowed to a tiny, highly specific claim: No witness testified that Trump personally ordered them to carry out a quid pro quo. Bolton is the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

It is probably for this reason that Republicans have fallen back to a quasi-legal argument offered by Alan Dershowitz: Even if true, abuse of power is not an impeachable offense. While Dershowitz’s reasoning is ahistorical, legally absurd, and opens the door to aspiring strongmen, it signals the party’s determination to acquit Trump regardless of the facts. Democrats hoped to persuade four Republicans to allow new evidence, and thus to extend the trial for perhaps a few weeks, prove Trump’s culpability even more thoroughly than they have. But this would only proceed to a partisan vote to acquit.

But what if they fail? A failure would occurBut losing because Republicans refused to allow pertinent evidence will stage their defeat on the most advantageous possible terms. The principle that a trial should include relevant evidence is so intuitive it has penetrated even fairly deep into the Trump cult, producing polling margins on the order of three to one: ...
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Return to “Impeachment”