White House Impeachment Response Strategy

kate520

Re: White House Impeachment Response Strategy

Post by kate520 »

😳 Rubin went there. That’s the most cogent explanation of this whole mess that all the punditz (except we the peeps) have been reluctant to say out loud.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

tek

Post by tek »

DOTUS' twitter gonna be lit...
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Greg Sargent
Schiff asked GOP senators a tough question. The answer is awful.

As Rep. Adam Schiff continued building his case against President Trump late into Wednesday evening, Trump fired off one angry Twitter missive after another, until he finally crossed the 140 mark, perhaps his most prolific day of tweeting and retweeting ever.

All those tweets, many of which amplified the preposterous claim that Trump did nothing whatsoever wrong, sent GOP senators and their staffers an unmistakable message: Trump is watching the proceedings very carefully. If you vote to allow new witnesses and evidence, there will be absolute hell to pay.

At one point, Schiff, the California Democrat who is leading the team of House impeachment managers, asked GOP senators a question.

“The truth is going to come out,” Schiff said. “The only question is: Do you want to hear it now? Do you want to know the full truth now?”

This argument has been ubiquitous, including on this blog: GOP senators who vote against subpoenaing new witnesses and documents run the risk that more damning revelations will come out after any such vote, and after their inevitable acquittal. This could allow those revelations to be hung around their necks, as examples of what they sought to help Trump cover up.

But it’s now clear we’ve been looking at this from the wrong angle. The truth, plainly, is that in this scenario, the fact that the votes on evidence and acquittal will come before any future revelations is a feature of doing it this way.
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump team’s arguments tomorrow in the impeachment trial will be a “trailer,” like for a movie, his lawyer Jay Sekulow says, per
@DanielPFlatley

“A preview of coming attractions,” he said using, like Trump, entertainment language.
Sekulow spoke to reporters today. Saw short clip on MSNBC. Heard him talking about Fusion GPS and the Ohrs :snippity: :deadhorse:

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I agree with the dead horse. My jaw dropped at that interview.

I'm not sure how much of the "defense" I will be able to stand to watch.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

While they're beating the dead horse again, I thought I'd share a couple of quotes from Simpson's book
Fusion didn’t share with Steele any of its reports on Trump, nor did it identify its new client beyond eventually saying that it was a law firm. This was important from an operational standpoint. Contractors, even professionals, have a natural tendency to tailor their finds to what they think clients want to hear. Fusion didn’t want to infect Steele’s inquiry with any preconceived goals or even basic theories of the case, much less the political context of the engagement.*1 Steele set out to find what he could on Donald Trump and Russia
While they came across as quiet and reserved, the Ohrs were stone-cold realists when it came to Russia. As Nellie put it later in congressional testimony, “I view myself as part of a community of people who are interested in Russia, and Chris Steele was part of that community.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

Rolling Stone
GOP Senators Face Threat: ‘Vote Against the President and Your Head Will Be on a Pike’

That sentiment was echoed by the White House’s director of legislative affairs, who told reporters, “I can’t wait for the revenge”

In matters concerning the impeachment trial, Republican senators have been warned: if they go against Trump they should be prepared to reap the whirlwind. “Vote against the president and your head will be on a pike,” a source told CBS News’ Nancy Cordes.

The report did not say whether the threat came from Trump himself, the White House, or Republican leadership. There have been few signs of Republican Senators breaking ranks. All of the procedural votes, which set the rules for the trial, have fallen to defeat on party lines.

The tone set with this report was echoed by the White House’s Director of Legislative Affairs Eric Ueland, who told reporters on Thursday, “I can’t wait for the revenge.”

With new polling showing overwhelming public support for witnesses and documents to be allowed, the threat might be aimed at Republican Senators such Mitt Romney (Utah), Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) who have expressed a willingness to vote with the Democrats in allowing testimony.

But according to Politico, Republicans are feeling more confident that Alexander, although he is set to retire, will stand with leadership in support of wrapping up the impeachment trial as quickly as possible — meaning he will likely vote no on allowing witnesses.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman
“He Really Thinks His Call Was Perfect. It Wasn’t”: Trump at Odds With GOP, Kushner, His Campaign as Impeachment Bites

Angry at Kushner for the Time magazine cover and at GOP allies for their lukewarm impeachment defense, the president is veering off his campaign message. And advisers are worried.

As Donald Trump’s defense team prepares to make its first arguments on the floor of the Senate on Saturday, top Republicans are increasingly worried that Trump’s lawyers are woefully unprepared to counter Democrats’ meticulous, fact-based case for removing Trump. In the president’s circle there’s not full-blown panic—but there’s worry. “A lot of Republicans think the Democrats have done a very good job,” a prominent Republican who is close to Trump’s legal team told me. “It’s been a lot better than we expected.” Florida congressman Matt Gaetz, one of Trump’s fiercest House allies, seemingly spoke for many when he blasted Trump’s lawyers, telling Politico this week that the Trump team’s presentation was worse than “an eighth-grade book report.”

Trump himself is making the situation worse, both with his rages—he set a 142-tweet record on Wednesday—and his insistence that Republicans buy in fully to his defense strategy. “It’s really not helpful,” the Republican close to the legal team said. “Trump is mad at Republicans that they aren’t saying his call with [Volodymyr] Zelensky was perfect. He really thinks his call was perfect. It wasn’t.”

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hope Gaetz is enjoying his room in the doghouse.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Dana Milbank
As Trump’s lawyers begin their defense, the biggest obstacle is Trump himself

President Trump’s lawyers, when they begin making their impeachment defense Saturday in the Senate trial, will make every effort to forestall the summoning of witnesses. But there is one witness they can’t suppress. He is big, he is orange, he is unhelpful — and he is everywhere.

“I would love to have Mike Pompeo and Mick [Mulvaney], and I would love to have Rick Perry and many other people testify,” Trump says in a video recording played by House impeachment managers on the Senate floor.

He pressures the Ukrainian president to launch investigations of Trump’s political opponents. “It’s a very simple answer. They should investigate the Bidens.”

He calls on others to do the same: “By the way, likewise, China should start an investigation into the Bidens.” ...

He says he’d welcome a foreign government’s contribution of dirt on his political opponents. “Oh, I think I’d want to hear it.”

And he announces that there are no restraints on his power: “I have an Article II, where I have the right to do whatever I want as president.”

Witnesses and documents withheld by the administration would no doubt fill in the details. But for the gist of what Trump did wrong, you need only hear his own words. The president has long said the quiet parts out loud, and Democratic managers built their case around playing his greatest hits, over and over. It’s the Warner Wolf prosecution: Let’s go to the videotape.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Sekulow vows Bidens, Ukraine will be part of Trump impeachment defense

Jay Sekulow, a member of President Trump's legal team, indicated on Friday that the defense will talk about the Bidens, Ukraine and a controversial research dossier as part of their defense.

Sekulow, speaking to reporters, noted a lawyer for then-Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton's campaign funded some of the research for the so-called Steele dossier.

"You should be able to get a sense from what I'm saying right now ... that we're going to rebut and refute, and we're going to put on an affirmative case tomorrow. But that's just one, just one issue," Sekulow told reporters.

Sekulow then turned to the Bidens, questioning why the House managers had mentioned former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden over the past three days.

"For the life of me, they've done it, why they opened up the door as wide as a double door on the Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, Burisma issue, I guess that was their way of getting ahead of it. We will address it," Sekulow continued.
Also:
The Hill: Graham vows Biden, Ukraine probe after impeachment trial

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I am really excited to see iff some staffers at the WH managed to wrestle the iphone out of impotus' little hands :lol:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Hey, Lindsey! You want to investigate the Bidens? Go ahead. Nobody be stopping you.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

p0rtia wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:49 am
Hey, Lindsey! You want to investigate the Bidens? Go ahead. Nobody be stopping you.
I thought the Senate was already investigating the Bidens.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Exactly.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

Louisville Courier Journal
Mitch McConnell is angry at White House over John Bolton manuscript, report says

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell did not know that President Donald Trump's administration had a copy of an explosive manuscript by ex-national security adviser John Bolton, a spokesman said.

And Kentucky's longtime senator, who has said he's in "total coordination" with the White House on the impeachment trial, reportedly isn't happy.

The New York Times reported Sunday that in his upcoming book, Bolton says Trump told him he did not want to release military aid to Ukraine until that country helped with investigations that could damage Democrats, including former Vice President Joe Biden.

Bolton's lawyer, Charles J. Cooper, told The Times he provided a copy of the book to the Trump administration on Dec. 30 to be reviewed for classified information.

A McConnell spokesman told The Courier Journal on Monday that the Senate majority leader "did not have any advance notice" that the National Security Council reportedly had a copy of Bolton's manuscript for weeks.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Screenshot_20200127_170136.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What is extra damning about Bolton’s book? It seems to confirm what the “transcript” and the 3,500 witnesses already revealed.

bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:27 pm
What is extra damning about Bolton’s book?
To paraphrase Hamilton, Bolton was in the room when it happened.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
New Book Leak: Bolton Was Concerned That Trump Did Favors for Autocratic Leaders, told Barr

The former national security adviser shared his unease with the attorney general, who cited his own worries about the president’s conversations with the leaders of Turkey and China.

WASHINGTON — John R. Bolton, the former national security adviser, privately told Attorney General William P. Barr last year that he had concerns that President Trump was effectively granting personal favors to the autocratic leaders of Turkey and China, according to an unpublished manuscript by Mr. Bolton.

Mr. Barr responded by pointing to a pair of Justice Department investigations of companies in those countries and said he was worried that Mr. Trump had created the appearance that he had undue influence over what would typically be independent inquiries, according to the manuscript. Backing up his point, Mr. Barr mentioned conversations Mr. Trump had with the leaders, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey and President Xi Jinping of China.

Mr. Bolton’s account underscores the fact that the unease about Mr. Trump’s seeming embrace of authoritarian leaders, long expressed by experts and his opponents, also existed among some of the senior cabinet officers entrusted by the president to carry out his foreign policy and national security agendas.

Mr. Bolton recounted his discussion with Mr. Barr in a draft of an unpublished book manuscript that he submitted nearly a month ago to the White House for review. People familiar with the manuscript described its contents on the condition of anonymity.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
Trump’s defense is irrelevant. Only Bolton matters now.

President Trump’s defense attorneys offered some truly bizarre arguments on Monday. Ken Starr, who played the role of Inspector Javert in the Bill Clinton impeachment, whined that impeachment has become too common. No, really. He said that. Meanwhile, attorney Jane Raskin said Rudolph Giuliani was not looking for dirt on former vice president Joe Biden, even though Giuliani in multiple TV interviews said he was, and many of the 17 witnesses called by the House said he was running point on the operation.

Mostly, Monday’s argument came across as tired and utterly irrelevant. What matters now is whether former national security adviser John Bolton and other witnesses will now testify, blowing Trump’s defense to smithereens. As of this writing, Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Mitt Romney (R-Utah) have said the Bolton bombshell has underscored the need for witnesses.

Bolton’s book is coming out in March, so the facts will be known whether they come out in the trial or not. Trying to prevent Bolton testimony now would be a confession of Republicans’ spinelessness and would be futile to boot. The facts cannot be hidden any longer.

Trying to raise executive privilege claims to prevent Bolton from testifying was already a stretch. The privilege cannot be used to cover up wrongdoing. And asserting it got a whole lot harder in the past 24 hours, thanks to Trump’s decision to publicly tweet about conversations with Bolton, and acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney’s written statement about what he heard Bolton say. Moreover, Trump can raise whatever privilege he likes: Bolton as a former official can testify anyway. That sounds like what he is prepared to do.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vox: Trump’s defense claims he didn’t break the law. A congressional watchdog says he did.

A recent report rebuts a major piece of Trump’s defense.
LA Times: How Lindsey Graham and the Republicans learned it’s Trump’s GOP now

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
John Kelly: 'I believe John Bolton'

At an event in Sarasota, Fla., on Monday, former White House chief of staff John Kelly said he believes the accounts detailed in former national security adviser John Bolton’s memoir.

“If John Bolton says that in the book, I believe John Bolton,” Kelly said at the event, according to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. “Every single time I was with him ... he always gave the president the unvarnished truth” he said.

“So, I think if there are people that could contribute to this, either innocence or guilt ... I think they should be heard,” Kelly said at the Florida event. “I think some of the conversations seem to me to be very inappropriate, but I wasn’t there. But there are people that were there that ought to be heard from” the former military general continued.

Kelly's comments come after The New York Times obtained a manuscript of Bolton's unpublished memoir Sunday. In the manuscript the former national security adviser reportedly claims President Trump personally told him he wanted to withhold about $400 million in military aid to Ukraine until it investigated the president's political rivals, including former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, Hunter Biden.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

After weeks complaining about the House holding hearings in the basement SCIF, now there’s some GOP Senators who want to have Bolton’s book made available in.. the Senate’s basement SCIF.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

GreatGrey wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 pm
After weeks complaining about the House holding hearings in the basement SCIF, now there’s some GOP Senators who want to have Bolton’s book made available in.. the Senate’s basement SCIF.

Oh, they want the book instead of Bolton? :roll:

I know this is not a court of law (far from it) but the book is...HEARSAY!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Return to “Impeachment”