White House Impeachment Response Strategy

AndyinPA

Re: White House Impeachment Response Strategy

Post by AndyinPA »

ZekeB wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:57 am
Addie wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:34 am No link, but this is supposed to be from his speech at his rally tonight last night. :daydream:
"Me,...I would have done great in Germany, I would have been a great leader....just like my Dad....My dad...and My dad and I would have made Germany great again...did you know, they love me there, absolutely love me there. My dad and I would have been great in Germany"
Yes Donald, you would have made an excellent Ernst Röhm.
:thumbs:

I tuned in and out of the impeachment hearings most of the day yesterday. What was I watching? Hitler all night on The History Channel. I’ve always been a “fan” of WWII and Hitler history. I watched it for the umpteenth time. I also thought it was appropriate for the day of impeachment.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
bob

Post by bob »

The Hill (yesterday): Blitzer resurfaces 2008 interview of Trump saying Pelosi should have impeached Bush:
CNN’s Wolf Blitzer on Wednesday resurfaced a 2008 interview he conducted with President Trump, then a New York business mogul, in which Trump says Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) should have sought impeachment against former President George W. Bush.

Blitzer shared a clip from the exchange with Trump as the House — again led by Pelosi — prepares to vote on two articles of impeachment against him.

Trump initially praised Pelosi, who also served as Speaker from 2003 to 2007, calling her “impressive.”

“I like her a lot. But I was surprised that she didn’t do more in terms of Bush and going after Bush,” Trump said. “It just seemed like she was really going to look to impeach Bush and get him out of office, which personally I think would have been a wonderful thing ... for the [Iraq] war.”

In the interview with Blitzer, the “Apprentice” star then pivoted to defending former President Clinton, calling his impeachment “nonsense.”

“Look at the trouble Bill Clinton got into with something that was totally unimportant and they tried to impeach him, which was nonsense,” Trump said. “And yet Bush got us into this horrible war with lies, by lying, by saying they had weapons of mass destruction, by saying all sorts of things that turned out not to be true.”
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
On the Day After, an Angry Trump Looks to Vindication in November

Stung by impeachment, President Trump, barring the unforeseen, will be the first American president to face voters after being charged with high crimes and misdemeanors.

WASHINGTON — President Trump sat forward on the edge of his chair and chatted at length with reporters in the Oval Office on Thursday, unbowed but for him a little subdued. The day after he was impeached for high crimes and misdemeanors, he dismissed the judgment of the House of Representatives and punched back by celebrating with a Democratic congressman who switched parties to stand with him.

“I don’t feel like I’m being impeached because it’s a hoax, it’s a setup,” Mr. Trump insisted as he showcased Representative Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey, the newly minted Republican, and looked beyond his seemingly certain acquittal in a Senate trial to next fall’s election.

“I’m beating everybody by a lot,” the president said, “and I think that’s where we’re going.”

For Mr. Trump, it was the first day of his new reality, the first day when he woke up with the scarlet letter of impeachment marked with indelible ink on his page in the history books. No matter what else happens, he now enters posterity as the third president to be impeached.

But barring the unforeseen, he will also be the first impeached president to face re-election, setting up a 320-day campaign to convince voters that he was right and his accusers were wrong. He has a chance that Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton never had — to mitigate, at least, the sting of impeachment — and his political operation wasted little time mounting a counterassault on what Mr. Trump characterizes as the corrupt, liberal Democrats who orchestrated a largely party-line scheme to nullify his election.
Adding:
Politico: Chris Christie wades into Senate impeachment fight

The former New Jersey governor is launching an outside group to give Senate Republicans air cover ahead of an expected trial early next year.
Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Times
Fear and Loyalty: How Donald Trump Took Over the Republican Party

The president demands complete fealty, and as the impeachment hearings showed, he has largely attained it. To cross him is to risk a future in G.O.P. politics. ...

Just under four years after he began his takeover of a party to which he had little connection, Mr. Trump enters 2020 burdened with the ignominy of being the first sitting president to seek re-election after being impeached.

But he does so wearing a political coat of armor built on total loyalty from G.O.P. activists and their representatives in Congress. If he does not enjoy the broad admiration Republicans afforded Ronald Reagan, he is more feared by his party’s lawmakers than any occupant of the Oval Office since at least Lyndon Johnson.

His iron grip was never firmer than over the last two months, during the House inquiry that concluded Wednesday with Mr. Trump’s impeachment on charges of abuse of power and obstructing Congress. No House Republican supported either article, or even authorized the investigation in September, and in hearing after hearing into the president’s dealings with Ukraine, they defended him as a victim of partisan fervor. One Republican even said that Jesus had received fairer treatment before his crucifixion than Mr. Trump did during his impeachment.

Perhaps more revealing, some G.O.P. lawmakers who initially said Mr. Trump’s phone call with the president of Ukraine was inappropriate later dropped their criticism. People close to Mr. Trump attributed the shift both to his public defense of the call as “perfect’’ and to private discussions he and his allies had with concerned lawmakers.

This fealty hardly guarantees Mr. Trump re-election: He has never garnered a 50 percent approval rating as president and over half of voters tell pollsters they will oppose him no matter who the Democrats nominate.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

New York Times
Behind the Ukraine Aid Freeze: 84 Days of Conflict and Confusion

The inside story of President Trump’s demand to halt military assistance to an ally shows the price he was willing to pay to carry out his agenda.

WASHINGTON — Deep into a long flight to Japan aboard Air Force One with President Trump, Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, dashed off an email to an aide back in Washington.

“I’m just trying to tie up some loose ends,” Mr. Mulvaney wrote. “Did we ever find out about the money for Ukraine and whether we can hold it back?”

It was June 27, more than a week after Mr. Trump had first asked about putting a hold on security aid to Ukraine, an embattled American ally, and Mr. Mulvaney needed an answer.

The aide, Robert B. Blair, replied that it would be possible, but not pretty. “Expect Congress to become unhinged” if the White House tried to countermand spending passed by the House and Senate, he wrote in a previously undisclosed email. And, he wrote, it might further fuel the narrative that Mr. Trump was pro-Russia.

Mr. Blair was right, even if his prediction of a messy outcome was wildly understated. Mr. Trump’s order to hold $391 million worth of sniper rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, night vision goggles, medical aid and other equipment the Ukrainian military needed to fight a grinding war against Russian-backed separatists would help pave a path to the president’s impeachment.

The Democratic-led inquiry into Mr. Trump’s dealings with Ukraine this spring and summer established that the president was actively involved in parallel efforts — both secretive and highly unusual — to bring pressure on a country he viewed with suspicion, if not disdain.
Adding:
WaPo - Greg Sargent: Explosive new revelations just weakened Trump’s impeachment defenses
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trey Gowdy spent the weekend golfing with Trump and this is the impeachment defense he came back with
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 am
Trey Gowdy spent the weekend golfing with Trump and this is the impeachment defense he came back with
Except, (to borrow a phrase the Sean Hannitys like to throw around) you'd have to be "tone-deaf", to not understand Trump's demand in that call. And we now know the WH emailed out the hold on those funds a couple hours later.

And the House has the witnesses and, now, email evidence of what Trump did.

Perfect call.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I still don't get the talking point that the "us" in that call is U.S., Not trump himself. No one brings up that he often talks about himself in the first person. :confused:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:59 am I still don't get the talking point that the "us" in that call is U.S., Not trump himself. No one brings up that he often talks about himself in the first person. :confused:
It's what he/they were told to use as a line of defense by lawyers. Grasp at straws and try to muddy the water. Create fog, instill "reasonable doubt".
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If the glove doesn't fit...
Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - John Wagner
Trump accuses Democrats of avoiding Senate trial to protect Bidens

President Trump on Tuesday accused Democrats of seeking to avoid an impeachment trial in the Senate to protect Joe Biden and his son Hunter, whose service on the board of a Ukrainian energy company while his father was vice president has come under scrutiny.

Trump weighed in on Twitter as an impasse continued over the timing and scope of an expected Senate trial. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has held back the two articles of impeachment — abuse of power and obstruction of Congress — passed this month by the House.

She and Senate Democrats are seeking guarantees that a Senate trial will include several witnesses, notably acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and former national security adviser John Bolton, who declined to participate in the House impeachment proceedings. Democrats also are pushing for the release of documents relevant to Trump’s conduct toward Ukraine that the White House has refused to provide.

“The Democrats will do anything to avoid a trial in the Senate in order to protect Sleepy Joe Biden, and expose the millions and millions of dollars that ‘Where’s’ Hunter, & possibly Joe, were paid by companies and countries for doing NOTHING,” Trump said in his tweet. “Joe wants no part of this mess!”
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

someone on twit needs to start asking about the $$$ the spawn of satan have gained from the United States.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Curious’: White House Considering Having GOP House Allies Join Impeachment Trial Team, Report Says
by Alberto Luperon | 9:33 pm, December 29th, 2019

The shape and makeup of President Donald Trump‘s upcoming impeachment trial remains to be seen, but there’s a possibility that his allies in the House of Representatives might join his team.

Here’s how The Wall Street Journal construed it in a profile that centered around White House counsel Pat Cipollone:

The White House is also considering adding some of the president’s staunchest defenders on the House Intelligence and Judiciary committees to the Senate trial team, according to a person familiar with the deliberations.

Specific House allies weren’t name-checked in the article under this context. Vocal Trump supporters in the House include Rep. Devin Nunes (R-California, 22nd District), the ranking member of the Intelligence Committee, and temporary member of the Intelligence Committee Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio, 4th District).

Trump has reportedly said Cipollone would lead the defense team, but is thinking about adding others who have TV experience. You’re probably familiar with personal attorney Jay Sekulow and Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz. Both have gone to bat for the president.

https://lawandcrime.com/politics/curiou ... port-says/
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Giuliani says he would be willing to testify in impeachment trial

Rudy Giuliani, who serves as President Trump’s personal attorney, said Tuesday night that he would be willing to testify in a Senate impeachment trial for the president.

“I would testify,” Giuliani told reporters as he arrived at a New Year’s Eve party at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

He added that he could “do demonstrations” and that he’d “love to try the case.”

Giuliani is not expected to be a part of Trump’s defense team.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Daily Beast: Trump Picks Two of His Top Legal Defenders for Impeachment Trial

Trump’s defense team will include Pat Cipollone and Jay Sekulow. A final decision has yet to be made on Alan Dershowitz, who’s been in talks with Trump about joining the team.
Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo
GOP leaders spar over adding House members to Trump’s impeachment defense team

A turf war over who should defend President Trump in a Senate impeachment trial is raging behind the scenes in Congress, as House Republicans push to join Trump’s legal team — an idea that piques the president’s interest — over the objections of Senate Republicans.

House GOP leaders in recent weeks have advocated for Trump’s most aggressive defenders — Republican Reps. Jim Jordan (Ohio), John Ratcliffe (Tex.) and Douglas A. Collins (Ga.) — to cross the Rotunda and help White House counsel Pat A. Cipollone rebut the two charges that the president abused his power and obstructed Congress.

Trump, partial to bare-knuckles tactics and top-rated TV performances, loves the idea, according to four administration and congressional officials familiar with his thinking who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly.

Jordan, for example, is a mainstay champion of Trump’s on Fox News, where the president once mused that “he’s a warrior for me!”

But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his fellow GOP senators have expressed concerns to Trump that a House-led defense could offend moderates, including Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska). Trump, they argue, has already won the backing of the GOP base, so he and his team need to focus on ensuring Republican unity on an acquittal.

McConnell, who discussed the trial with the president at the White House on Wednesday, has been advising Trump and his legal team not to think of the trial as a “made-for-TV-type House setting,” said one individual familiar with the leader’s thinking, “but rather one where ultimately your audience is senators in the middle on both sides, who are actually listening to the arguments here.”
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

Shorter McConnell: We've already guaranteed your acquittal. Just don't expect us to erect a circus tent on the Capitol grounds.
ImageImageImage x4
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
McConnell backs measure to change Senate rules, dismiss impeachment without articles

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is backing a resolution to change the Senate’s rules to allow for lawmakers to dismiss articles of impeachment against President Trump before the House sends them over.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) announced on Thursday that McConnell has signed on as a co-sponsor to the resolution, which he introduced earlier this week.

Spokesmen for McConnell didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about his support.

Changing the rules would either require a two-thirds vote or for Republicans to deploy the "nuclear" option.
bob

Post by bob »

Changing the rules would either require a two-thirds vote or for Republicans to deploy the "nuclear" option.
Fewer characters, more accurate.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

► Show Spoiler
Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

NEWS - with Cipollone and Sekulow as lead lawyers, Trump impeachment team to include Ken Starr and Robert Ray, former independent counsel lawyers, per person familiar with the plan.

Team will also include Dershowitz. Statement from a team spokesman:
“Professor Dershowitz will present oral arguments at the Senate trial to address the constitutional arguments against impeachment and removal.” 1/

“While Professor Dershowitz is non partisan when it comes to the constitution—he opposed the impeachment of President Bill Clinton and voted for Hillary Clinton—
he believes the issues at stake go to the heart of our enduring Constitution.“ 2/

“He is participating in this impeachment trial to defend the integrity of the Constitution and to prevent the creation of a dangerous constitutional precedent.” 3/3 on Dershowitz
Still no Rudy.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Starr and Dershowitz can regale the glory days when they were both representing Jeffrey Epstein.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Speaking of Dershowitz, is the man on crack?
► Show Spoiler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Pam Bondi? Was she any good as an AG? All I know of her was the story of dropping the Trump U lawsuit after a big donation or something or other.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump has added Ken Starr to his defense team.

Now House Managers can point across the well and say: “There’s the same guy who interviewed @MonicaLewinsky’s ex-boyfriends, WH window washers and Kathleen Willey’s dentist. Now he doesn’t want us to hear from Bolton and Mulvaney.”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Wow, one of Trump's great accomplishments will be to take whatever remains of Ken Starr's reputation, douse it in gasoline and just light it on fire. And I'm totally here for that.
Everything Trump touches dies...

Return to “Impeachment”