Volkonski

Re: Donald: Impeachment Watch

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Keeping the Vice Presidency vacant might amount to being important if a tie breaker vote comes up. At the very least, Nancy should be able to veto any choice and I'd like to see her hold out for Pence to pick a Democrat to serve until the next inauguration.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:53 pm
Keeping the Vice Presidency vacant might amount to being important if a tie breaker vote comes up. At the very least, Nancy should be able to veto any choice and I'd like to see her hold out for Pence to pick a Democrat to serve until the next inauguration.
Nancy could pull a Mitch and not call a vote on a nominee.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

"Stupid-gate"

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm
Gregg wrote:
Phuck that. Just vote against him.

"No good, Mr President, send us another one."

And NO Republicans need apply. We trusted the shits last time with "respected institutionalist" and ended up with Bill Barr. I'm thinking Beto would be good for a lame duck Veep.

Sterngard Friegen

In that case I'd prefer Mayor Pete!

Two terms as POTUS and then the rest of his long, long life on SCOTUS, eventually as Chief Justice.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm
Gregg wrote:
That would be a huge mistake. I doubt that she would make it.

It would seem too much like a power grab by her.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Now you're talking. :-D
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 pm
In that case I'd prefer Mayor Pete!

Two terms as POTUS and then the rest of his long, long life on SCOTUS, eventually as Chief Justice.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa »

a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
...although the two times we’ve run this - Ford, then Rockefeller - it was by majority votes of each House of Congress.

By requiring two majority votes, instead of one joint vote, there is a pathway to deadlock.
Thanks pal.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Ooops, my bad phrasing. The 25th Amendment says "confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."

I assume, from its previous uses in what would have been Nixon's Second Term, that means a majority of the House and a majority of the Senate, in no particular sequence.

And, yes, I'd like to see the Democratic majority in the House refuse to confirm any pick by Pence, to keep Pelosi hovering as next in line.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Fortinbras wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm
Ooops, my bad phrasing. The 25th Amendment says "confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress."

I assume, from its previous uses in what would have been Nixon's Second Term, that means a majority of the House and a majority of the Senate, in no particular sequence.

And, yes, I'd like to see the Democratic majority in the House refuse to confirm any pick by Pence, to keep Pelosi hovering as next in line.
No, make the lying shit nominate a Democrat, the vote might come in handy.

Sterngard Friegen

Naah. Trump would just appoint another "acting."

/sarc

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Adam Schiff has posted some documents.
Adam Schiff
@RepAdamSchiff
After receiving a trove of important documents from the first of the state department witnesses, my fellow chairs and I highlight some of those deserving of the most attention and what is at stake.

Read them here:
https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/_cache ... -03-19.pdf

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Given that Republicans are now essentially saying that there's nothing at all wrong with asking a foreign country to conduct a sham investigation of a President's political opponents - as long as said President belongs to their party - I can only conclude that America is well and truly fucked.

"I am concerned for the Constitution, laws, and national sovereignty of the United States only insofar as that concern does not interfere with the ability of my side to win elections, in which case all bets are off," is more or less the guiding political philosophy of 40% of the country right now. The other 60% will either perpetually be at a disadvantage or be forced to embrace the same ends-justify-the-means attitude as the 40%. That's a recipe for a permanently broken society, and I don't think there's any way to fix it.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Lani

Post by Lani »

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel. When Trump started stacking the judiciary, I felt like it was game over. I so hope that I'm wrong....
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

So......

There would be nothing wrong with the Democrats asking foreign governments to conduct investigations of Trump and his family?

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am
So......

There would be nothing wrong with the Democrats asking foreign governments to conduct investigations of Trump and his family?
I suspect they already have investigated Trump. In Russia in particular and not at the request of the Democrats. Who knows what kind of hammer Putin is holding over Trump's head? Anyone else in this position wouldn't be granted a security clearance. It's obvious that Trump beckons to the call of Putin when it comes to the Ukraine.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am
So......

Kind of hard to ask a foreign government to do jack shit if you aren't President of the United States and wielding the power of the bully pulpit and the entire diplomatic corps to serve your ends. Every foreign leader will take his call. Not many would take a call from someone who isn't in power.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Yes it is a worry that the GOP is willing to continue to support Donnie even when he seeks foreign interference in a US election on national television.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-10- ... g/11573240

Trump's impeachment could backfire on the Democrats. Here's why
ANALYSIS BY WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF ZOE DANIEL AND EMILY OLSON

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Also, anyone else doing it wouldn't be protected by the OLC's Presidential immunity dogma. So, unless Democrats want Bill Barr and the DOJ investigating them for campaign finance violations...

listeme

Post by listeme »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 am
Also, anyone else doing it wouldn't be protected by the OLC's Presidential immunity dogma. So, unless Democrats want Bill Barr and the DOJ investigating them for campaign finance violations...
Right, but isn't one of his schticks that OBAHHHMA and DEMS were spying on him and wiretapping him and stuff, before the election?
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Diplomat Taylor's texts are amazing. He continually tries to get everything on the record while Sonderland was trying to keep things on the phone so there wouldn't be a record.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Spox says Cornyn was referring to the ongoing probe led by Durham, the U.S. attorney in Connecticut who is investigating the origins of the Russia probe
Now, the Trump Justice Department is investigating foreign government influence, VP Biden conflicts of interest, and possible corruption,

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Impeachment”