Donald: Impeachment Watch

TexasFilly

Re: Donald: Impeachment Watch

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:22 am

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 am
Yeah, besides Russia has the conversations on tape and will release them whenever Putin wants to, so stay in line BenedictDonald!

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

tek

Post by tek » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 am

Someone should tell Donnie that Obama signed an agreement with the Russians to not release the contents of their conversations :blink:

There's no way back
from there to here

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Turtle wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:02 am
The McCarthy segment was a disaster and he made himself look like a fool. Also Lindsey Graham today swore up and down that the memcon and the complaint did not match

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:27 pm

This looks like a good spot

Impeachment whine: Trump thinks Republicans weren't tough on Obama. Believe me, we were.
President Donald Trump started his Saturday morning routine with a tweet: “Can you imagine if these Do Nothing Democrat Savages, people like Nadler, Schiff, AOC Plus 3, and many more, had a Republican Party who would have done to Obama what the Do Nothings are doing to me. Oh well, maybe next time!”

Setting aside the appalling use of the word “savages” to describe two Jewish members of Congress and a woman of color, the president’s “what if” scenario reveals how ignorant he is of some very recent history. This very decade opened with Republicans launching an investigatory barrage into the presidency of Barack Obama.

I know, because I was there choreographing it.

...snip...

Just for context, the investigation conducted by special counsel Robert Mueller lasted for a little less than two years. While in control of Congress, House Republicans launched not one, not two but three multiyear investigations that each lasted longer than the Mueller probe. The third of these investigations was initiated in 2013 into the IRS’ alleged targeting scandal. It was eventually debunked as baseless, with even the Trump administration declaring in 2017 that prosecuting the matter “would not be appropriate based on the available evidence.”

The reality is our committee never had anything close to the severity and volume of smoking gun evidence of corruption that exists right now, and we still managed to hold hundreds of oversight hearings, issue hundreds of subpoenas and conduct multiple multiyear investigations.
Let me repeat that for all the pubs reading the board, this Republican who investigated Obama for 8 years says
The reality is our committee never had anything close to the severity and volume of smoking gun evidence of corruption that exists right now,

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Looks like Romney is still trying to White Horse himself into the Oval Orifice, with fluff pieces like that.

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:02 pm

I suppose the republicans can re-invent themselves after Trump is thrown out. The problem for many of them will be they said some things they will never be able to take back.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 pm

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:09 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:02 pm
I suppose the republicans can re-invent themselves after Trump is thrown out. The problem for many of them will be they said some things they will never be able to take back.
Question would be, which direction for a reinention? I could see them going all-in, which is kinda the direction they have been shifting after the Bush Sr. Years.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:16 pm

impeached and removed
Strong language 47 percent agreed with.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:17 pm

neeneko wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:09 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Question would be, which direction for a reinention? I could see them going all-in, which is kinda the direction they have been shifting after the Bush Sr. Years.
They are a coalition that doesn't really belong together. Any reinvention is going to leave someone out. If they go all in and become a racist UKIP like white nationalist party, that's bad for business and they lose the rich Wall Street/Chamber of Commerce people. If the Wall Street/Chamber of Commerce people take back control, the racist Ukiper's will break away.

The evangelicals are just going away by attrition either because of people losing their faith or actually reading the bible.

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm going to be the pessimist here.

Nothing is going to happen. This is a huge dog and pony show so a few people can say "Look, we tried." Even if the Articles of Impeachment are passed and The Donald is Impeached, he still needs to be convicted in the Senate.

McConnel will not get his head out of Trumps ample ass long enough to actually hold a trial in the Senate. Unless there is something that compels him to do so, nothing will happen.

We will be stuck with this shit head until the end of his term. And with the non-Republicans the way they are now, unless they get their fucking unicorn perfect candidate, they won't vote.

So yeah, I'm just a wee bit pessimistic about all this. This country is being destroyed from within. Congratulations, the Russians got their wish.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Trump asked the Australian prime minister to help investigate Mueller probe origins
President Donald Trump sought help from the Australian prime minister to investigate the origins of former special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation.

A Justice Department spokesperson on Monday evening confirmed the conversation, which an administration official described to NBC News as a routine call between two heads of state ahead of state seeking the assistance of another country’s law enforcement agency. It was "asking his law enforcement to work with ours," the official said.

The call to Scott Morrison, the Australian leader, came recently after Attorney General William Barr in May asked John Durham, the U.S. Attorney in Connecticut, to lead an inquiry into whether the FBI’s investigation into the Trump campaign was properly predicated. The DOJ spokesperson said Barr asked Trump to make the call to seek Australia’s help.

"As the Department of Justice has previously announced, a team led by U.S. Attorney John Durham is investigating the origins of the U.S. counterintelligence probe of the Trump 2016 presidential campaign," the spokesperson, Keri Kupec said in a statement. "Mr. Durham is gathering information from numerous sources, including a number of foreign countries. At Attorney General Barr’s request, the President has contacted other countries to ask them to introduce the Attorney General and Mr. Durham to appropriate officials."

:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1060526

If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Interesting thread about the response of the Narsisists victims when the magic snaps and people suddently start thinking about their own hides.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1177 ... 54945.html

I know I’ve been beating the drum about the dynamics within a narcissist’s inner circle all week.

Those dynamics are important right now though... and they’re just so karmically delicious.

They’re worth savoring.

1/
As I’ve written about in the past, I worked for a severe narcissist like Trump.

He weaponized all the same tools Trump does: secrecy, fear, isolation of non-believers, banishing detractors.

It was extremely toxic but effective... until it wasn’t.

2/
A narcissist maintains sway over their inner circle in a number of ways.

One of them is by focusing each member of the flock on only the narcissist’s favor or disfavor.

They lull people into worrying only about where they stand with the narc.

3/
Favor and disfavor are the currencies of the narc realm.

Being favored by the narc equals power and safety. Being disfavored equals powerlessness and danger.

Most people just work to stay out of disfavor. They just toil to make sure it isn’t them on the shit list.

4/
There are always a few who covet more than just safety though.

Those people don’t just want to survive despite the toxicity; they want to profit from it. They want to gain power and standing.

5/
For a while, those people DO gain power - and they often do so by manipulating who else is in favor or disfavor.

While others are merely avoiding the danger of a narc’s disapproval, they’re using it as a tool to help themselves at others’ expense - and it works.

6/
When it all comes apart, that changes in a heartbeat.

Suddenly, the opportunists cannot weaponize the narc’s favor or disfavor because people are more worried about the real world problems of the entire thing falling down.

7/
Who cares if a narc hates you if the whole place is going up in flames?

That’s what breaks the spell.

The flock loses their hypnotic focus on the narcissist and suddenly begins to worry about themselves.

8/
And as the whole Titanic begins to worry about making it to the lifeboats, all of that anxiety and simmering resentment turns into a vengeance toward the former opportunists.

Some people merely don’t care if the once-powerful manipulators drown with the ship.

9/
Others though, they remember when they were put at risk for another’s advantage... and are ready for vengeance.

While everyone works for the same warden, it’s more like when prisoners overthrow the guards.

The biggest assholes are in for a really ugly time of it.

10/
I worked in an environment like that but had long fled by the time it came apart.

Even long after though, I was quite content to watch the few internal players who helped themselves at others’ expense finally get their due.

Others were out for revenge though.

11/
Internally, what was once a hypnotized army marching together in service of the narcissist just utterly fractures and descends into a poisonous chaos of retribution and desperate self-preservation.

It is a shockingly quick pendulum swing.

It just implodes in an instant.

12/
The Trump White House is there now.

Mark my words, every person who has done more than merely avoid disfavor is now in their colleagues’ crosshairs.

Some of their colleagues will merely let them drown. Others will heap bricks on their back.

13/
This is going to be wild to watch.

We won’t be able to keep pace with the leaks.

Trump charmed the snakes. Now he has lost his flute and is waist-deep in a snake pit - and so are his deputies.

This is how it all tumbles down.

And I’m going to enjoy every second.

14/14

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 pm
Interesting thread about the response of the Narsisists victims when the magic snaps and people suddenly start thinking about their own hides.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1177 ... 54945.html

:snippity:
Trump will go mad.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 pm

ZekeB wrote:
If Trump is thrown out, then Republicans will pretend he never happened—& Democrats will be eager to “move foreword & put the past behind us.” I mean, GWB, et al still killed more people than Donald Trump & nowadays George is just this lovable goof

How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

much ado

Post by much ado » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 pm
ZekeB wrote:
If Trump is thrown out, then Republicans will pretend he never happened—& Democrats will be eager to “move foreword & put the past behind us.” I mean, GWB, et al still killed more people than Donald Trump & nowadays George is just this lovable goof
I think Trump will become useful to the Republican Party as a scapegoat.

"All those problems that we Republicans have had these past few years were largely due to Trump and his personality. He had some good ideas, but we're going to be able to implement them more effectively without Trump around. So vote for us."

Or something like that.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 pm

much ado wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm
Maybe! But David Frum & Bill Kristol are respected serious pundits these days & no one’s made them a scapegoat for their advocacy of the Iraq War. Which def suggests a future where Trump aw shucks his way back into “polite” society

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:30 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 pm
much ado wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm
Maybe! But David Frum & Bill Kristol are respected serious pundits these days & no one’s made them a scapegoat for their advocacy of the Iraq War. Which def suggests a future where Trump aw shucks his way back into “polite” society
"Back into . . ."? No, he's never been. He's been a "celebrity," but many of them have led rather disgusting, public lives. He has pretty much followed that path.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:30 pm
"Back into . . ."? No, he's never been. He's been a "celebrity," but many of them have led rather disgusting, public lives. He has pretty much followed that path.
I know it's said that Trump holds grudges against that stratum of society which refused to give him the deference to which he believed he was entitled, but in fact Trump and his family seem to have been accepted everywhere billionaires (or alleged billionaires) are. Anyway, slice it however you wish, my point was that if history is a guide, then contrary to becoming a scapegoat, it's as likely Trump (and his cronies) will face as little disgrace as anyone who perpetrated the Iraq War ever has. Which is to say almost none at all.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:31 am

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:30 pm
I know it's said that Trump holds grudges against that stratum of society which refused to give him the deference to which he believed he was entitled, but in fact Trump and his family seem to have been accepted everywhere billionaires (or alleged billionaires) are. Anyway, slice it however you wish, my point was that if history is a guide, then contrary to becoming a scapegoat, it's as likely Trump (and his cronies) will face as little disgrace as anyone who perpetrated the Iraq War ever has. Which is to say almost none at all.
Using Nixon as a guide, I’d guess that his image gets burnished a little bit by the sands of time, but he will always be remembered as highly corrupt.

Return to “Impeachment”