Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Abuse of Power; Whistleblower(s)

Suranis

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Abuse of Power; Whistleblower(s)

Post by Suranis »

Only 2 articles of impeachment? Poor little Donny just can beat clinton (3) or Nixon (4) can he?
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

bob

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Abuse of Power; Whistleblower(s)

Post by bob »

Reality Check wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:25 pm
fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:12 pm
Okay. If people here want to fantasize about a literal coup d'etat that no one and nothing could stop in the event it were to happen, I'll just show myself out.
Yes, we need to worry about Russian meddling and other real threats. As long as the election is not close it cannot be stolen.
Concur; the hyperbole and fantasy is neither helpful nor particularly interesting.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Guardian
House panel to edit Trump articles of impeachment in rare evening session

Democrats on the judiciary committee to put finishing touches on House resolution 755, ‘impeaching Donald Trump’

Eager not to miss a stride in the impeachment process against Donald Trump, Democrats on the House judiciary committee scheduled a rare evening session Wednesday to put the finishing touches on the articles of impeachment unveiled Tuesday.

Beginning at 7pm, legislators will begin the process of editing House resolution 755, “impeaching Donald John Trump, president of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors”.

It was not expected that lawmakers would make substantial changes to the highly workshopped articles, which charge the president with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

The evening session, expected to be taken up with introductory speeches, was to be followed by a morning session Thursday in which the committee would debate amendments to the resolution and then vote on the articles. Both articles were expected to be approved by the committee along party lines.

If the committee completes its work by Thursday afternoon as expected, a full House vote on whether to impeach Trump could be held next Tuesday or Wednesday. But judiciary committee members would have to conclude their work Thursday before a planned recess that afternoon for a 75th anniversary commemoration of the Battle of the Bulge.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Small group of Democrats floats censure instead of impeachment

It's an unlikely outcome, but it underscores lingering angst among some moderates. ...

The group of about 10 lawmakers included Reps. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.), Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), Anthony Brindisi (D-N.Y.), and Ben McAdams (D-Utah.).

“I think it’s certainly appropriate and might be a little more bipartisan, who knows,” Schrader said Tuesday when asked about the possibility of a censure resolution. But he acknowledged: “Time’s slipping by.”

The idea of censure, according to the lawmakers, is to offer a competing alternative to impeachment that could attract at least some Republican support on the floor. It would also help Democrats avoid a lengthy impeachment trial in the Senate, which some in this group fear could tilt public opinion toward the GOP in the final months before the 2020 election.

“Right now, there's no other options. This is another option,” said one lawmaker who attended Monday’s meeting.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Trump could not care less about censure. He DOES care about being on the very short list of impeached Presidents. AND would not gain any Republican support as any GOP that says yes will be the target of a liberated evil.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can’t imagine censure attracting any support from Republicans. Stop trying to appease them
ImageImageImage x4

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 pm
I can’t imagine censure attracting any support from Republicans. Stop trying to appease them
:like:

Jim

Post by Jim »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:49 pm
I've got the perfect solution that both sides can back enthusiastically!
Block access to twitter on all Trump's devices.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll:
Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz said he was kept off a panel of constitutional scholars testifying at a House impeachment hearing last week partly because of an accusation that he sexually assaulted a victim of sex trafficker Jefferey Epstein.

“They wanted me to be there. They called and asked me if I would be willing to testify, and I said I would. And then as a result of these false accusations against me regarding the Jeffrey Epstein matter, accusations which I have disproved,” Dershowitz told host John Catsimatidis on his AM 970 radio show on Sunday.

“Just because there is an accusation out there, the decision was made not to use me. Also, because the Republicans are only given one witness. If they had been given two witnesses, probably I would’ve been used along with Turley,” he said, referring to George Washington University Law School professor Jonathan Turley who testified on behalf of the Republicans.
https://nypost.com/2019/12/08/dershowit ... %20buttons

tek

Post by tek »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:32 pm
Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz said he was kept off a panel of constitutional scholars testifying at a House impeachment hearing last week partly because of an accusation that he sexually assaulted a victim of sex trafficker Jefferey Epstein.
That's really too bad.. it means the rest of the panel didn't have the chance to say "Professor Dershowitz is full of shit." on live TV.
There's no way back
from there to here

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting

Bloomberg
GOP Senators Leaning Toward Short Impeachment Trial for Trump

Senate Republicans say there is an early consensus building within their ranks for a short impeachment trial that could see the GOP-led chamber vote on a likely acquittal of President Donald Trump without hearing from any witnesses.

Senator Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, said a growing number of the Senate’s 53 GOP members want to simply let House Democrats make their case to impeach the president and then hear a rebuttal from Trump’s team before moving immediately to a vote on the articles of impeachment.

“I think people are starting to realize that could be a pretty messy and unproductive process,” said Johnson, who just days ago said he thought witnesses should be brought into the proceedings. Johnson said “that’s generally where people are heading toward.”

The House is poised to vote next week for two articles of impeachment on abuse of power and obstructing Congress, triggering a trial in the Senate that would begin some time in early to mid-January. The White House has indicated that the president would like a number of witnesses to be called, including the whistle-blower who helped spark the impeachment inquiry into allegations Trump improperly pressed Ukraine‘s president to investigate Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son.
Adding:

Delaware News Journal
Biden says he wouldn't comply with Senate subpoena in Trump impeachment trial

Joe Biden said in an NPR interview published on Monday that he would not comply if the U.S. Senate subpoenaed him during its impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

"No, I will not yield to what everybody is looking for here," the former vice president told Morning Edition host Rachel Martin. "And that is to take the eye off the ball."

"Everybody knows the issue here is not what I did," Biden continued, "because no one has proved one scintilla of evidence that I did anything other than do my job for America as well as anybody could have done it. Making sure that we, in fact, got rid of a corrupt prosecutor who everybody, including our allies as well as ... the IMF and everyone else said has to go. I did my job incredibly well."

Addie

Post by Addie »

What does this tweet say aside from what's below? Thank you.
Schiff just released classified evidence (new) to the judiciary committee (related to V. P.)

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:53 pm
Kendra wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:32 pm
That's really too bad.. it means the rest of the panel didn't have the chance to say "Professor Dershowitz is full of shit." on live TV.
That would have been fun :swoon:

bob

Post by bob »

Addie wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:57 pm
What does this tweet say aside from what's below? Thank you.
Schiff just released classified evidence (new) to the judiciary committee (related to V. P.)
It says:
Kyle Cheney wrote:JUST IN: Schiff has submitted classified evidence to the judiciary committee ahead up tonight’s impeachment markup. it’s the letter from the Pence aide who filed additional evidence after her testimony. Schiff says the office of the vice president has declined to declassify it.
It concerns a supplemental submission from Jennifer Williams, VPOTUS' special advisor for Europe and Russia.

Recall:
The Hill wrote:Schiff's requested further information on the testimony of Jennifer Williams, a career foreign service officer and Pence staffer who testified before lawmakers last month that a conversation between President Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was "unusual, and more of a political nature."
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie »

ty Bob

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico - (Dec 6 2019)
Schiff: Pence aide provided new impeachment evidence — but VP's office classified it

A national security aide to Vice President Mike Pence submitted additional classified evidence to House impeachment investigators about a phone call between Pence and Ukraine's president, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff revealed Friday.

In a letter to Pence, Schiff (D-Calif.) asked the vice president to declassify supplemental testimony from the aide, Jennifer Williams, about Pence’s Sept. 18 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, arguing that there is no “legitimate basis” to keep it secret.

“The Office of the Vice President’s decision to classify ‘certain portions’ of the Sept. 18 call … cannot be justified on national security or any other legitimate grounds we can discern,” Schiff wrote to Pence, requesting a response by Dec. 11.

Schiff indicated that Williams recalled the relevant information about Pence’s phone call after her closed-door deposition on Nov. 7 and wished to convey it to impeachment investigators. The letter indicates Williams submitted the supplemental filing on Nov. 26, a week after she testified publicly.

“Having reviewed the supplemental submission, the committee strongly believes that there is no legitimate basis for the Office of the Vice President to assert that the information … is classified,” Schiff added in his letter to Pence, whose office has refused to turn over a slew of documents that investigators requested in October.

Schiff’s letter represents the first sign that House impeachment investigators are still actively pursuing the Ukraine investigation, even after they compiled a 300-page report detailing what Democrats say is a campaign by President Donald Trump to pressure his Ukrainian counterpart to investigate his political rivals.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNN
Whistleblower's team preparing for possibility of Senate testimony

Washington (CNN)The legal team for the whistleblower whose account kicked off the impeachment inquiry is preparing for the possibility that lawmakers will call their client to testify in the Senate, two people familiar told CNN.

The White House counsel's office remains in discussion with Republican senators about the length and scope of President Donald Trump's likely Senate impeachment trial. But the whistleblower's lawyers are preparing for all possibilities, including receiving a subpoena for testimony as allies of the President continue their demands to hear from the anonymous person who ignited the Ukraine controversy.

A subpoena would put the whistleblower in uncharted territory, and raise the risk that his or her identity could come out in the course of the trial in the Senate -- where, unlike in the Democrat-led House, some Republicans have expressed a desire to hear from the whistleblower.

Trump, too, has repeatedly demanded he or she come forward during the impeachment proceedings.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm not going to watch this markup thingy, :yawn: but, for completeness, here be it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The R's are repeating the same 4 talking points that were proven false 2 months ago.

Several networks are covering it live as-is, but foxnews are only showing selective clips of the usual suspects.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

At least 2 now have claimed the Trump 2016 campaign was spied on by Obama and the FBI. This rhetoric has been noticeably more amped up around the same time Hannity started his show.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

At this point, I think the hearings have become redundant. Opening statements -- one side tells the truth, the other side spurts out propaganda and gaslights, with the requisite outrage. 45 minutes each -- one side tells the truth, the other side spurts out propaganda and gaslights with the requisite outrage. 5 minutes each -- one side tells the truth, the other side spurts out propaganda and gaslights with the requisite outrage.

The reason we have a consistently divided country is that one side consistently engages in propaganda and gaslighting. It's no wonder that nearly half the country believes the garbage -- that's what is intended.

I'm listening to it now while working, and it's like whiplash. Every 5 minutes has me nodding and saying "yes!" 5 minutes later, I am agitated and feel like turning it off. Some of those voices just grate on me, in PTSD fashion.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

:yeah:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Yup. Have to say though :torches: Gaetz is odious.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

SLQ wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm
At this point, I think the hearings have become redundant.
Right there with you

Return to “Impeachment”