Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Abuse of Power; Whistleblower(s)

Maybenaut

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Suborning Perjury; Whistleblower(s)

Post by Maybenaut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:08 am

I think that was about attorney-client privilege. Once that’s waived, it’s waived forever (in some places — I don’t know if that’s universally true). But you can always decide to stop incriminating yourself (except when there’s no chance of prosecution).

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

TexasFilly

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Suborning Perjury; Whistleblower(s)

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:12 am
TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm
Wow, now two other people besides Holmes heard the call!
:shock: That restaurant seems to be a hotspot for US diplomats. One can only assume that certain other nations are providing their secretive contacts with a handsome budget ...
I liked the tidbit that Sondland ordered a bottle of wine. No doubt he submitted that on his expense account.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:12 am
TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm
Wow, now two other people besides Holmes heard the call!
:shock: That restaurant seems to be a hotspot for US diplomats. One can only assume that certain other nations are providing their secretive contacts with a handsome budget ...
I liked the tidbit that Sondland ordered a bottle of wine. No doubt he submitted that on his expense account.
:think: does the restaurant have a contract with Trump W(h)ineries :?: :-D

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 am

Jake Tapper's twitter thread digest (just posted) of Holmes' opening statement unrolled,

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1195 ... 04546.html

To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:37 am

► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Elise Stefanik’s shameful antics yesterday, her opponent has added 100,000 followers and raised $250k overnight.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:38 am

Kendra wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:37 am
► Show Spoiler
Thanks to Elise Stefanik’s shameful antics yesterday, her opponent has added 100,000 followers and raised $250k overnight.
:like: :happyfamily: :bunny: :grouphug:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:41 am

► Show Spoiler
OMG -- CNN's
@Phil_Mattingly
reading David Holmes's statement for the first time live on air and pausing in disbelief when he encounters the "loves your ass" line is pure gold

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am

I'm really hoping the DCCC give some organization help to Tedra. Whoever has been running her campaign clearly hasn't quit his/her day job. My main concern is that Tedra does not appear to stand for anything other than not being GOP. She needs a platform, however modest. Someone is afraid of ruffling a single feather from a sitting duck.

#NY21 is all rural all the time. Saratoga Springs, not exactly the Big City, was cut out of the district, supposedly because it shares more with the suburban areas around Albany. The Republicans in the district are old-fashioned, small government Republicans who still think Democrats are the big spenders. They are liberal on immigration, LGBT rights, and really don't like self-promoters. The blow-back against Stefanik yesterday was extraordinary.

Tedra is okay but (I hate to say "but") very much a local figure. Which is to say that she has more experience in actual life than Stefanik has. She ran for the Dem nomination in 2016 and beat out a competitive field, lost handily, and immediately announced she would run in 2018. She hasn't really gotten started yet. (For comparison, Stefanik never lived in the district till she bought property about ten miles from me last year; she got in with the R's at Harvard and latched on to Paul Ryan. She's never not had a gov't job.)

Well, that has obviously changed. So Tedra's got to take advantage now. Her coffers got a big boost yesterday, so that's good. Her name recognition soared alongside Stefanik's (in a much more positive way). But she's got to have a strategy and she's got to get off the defensive molehill she's been standing on.

She doesn't have to go all Bernie (though Bernie won the Dem primary here in 2016), but to be afraid to say she sees grave impeachment concerns, or that she favors background checks, or that she condemns environmental destruction is not going out on even a twig around here. The district went for Obama twice, I believe.

I hope she can do it, but she needs specialized help from the experienced big kids.

A shot of my cabin; I put the sign up in 2016 and left it:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm

The New Yorker: In Trump’s Jaded Capital, Marie Yovanovitch’s Uncynical Outrage

A fired Ambassador demonstrates that it is apparently still possible to be shocked by the President.
CNN: Exclusive: After private White House meeting, Giuliani associate Lev Parnas said he was on a 'secret mission' for Trump, sources say
BBC News: Impeachment inquiry: Trump 'asked for probe in Ukraine with envoy'
Business Insider: Presidents can be impeached for almost anything. These are the alleged crimes that could lead to Trump's impeachment
NPR: State Department Aide Had 'Specific Quotes' From Trump, Democratic Congressman Says
CNN: A day that underscored the corruption swamping the Trump presidency
The Hill: Yovanovitch impeachment testimony gives burst of momentum to Democrats
Courthouse News: Testimony of Trump Call With EU Ambassador Called ‘Damning’

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:40 pm

Addie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Thanks for all the links, Addie. :thumbs:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:41 pm

yw :kiss:
NMgirl wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:40 pm
Addie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm
Thanks for all the links, Addie. :thumbs:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Here's something I don't understand-- A headline today:

Barr Suggests Impeachment Inquiry Undermines Voters’ Intent

Why aren't Democrats answering Barr and others with: "You mean like you did to Bill Clinton?"

Watching some of the hearings I expected to hear someone mention how the Republicans treated Clinton every five minutes. They never did.

Ditto for how the GOP handled "Benghazi." :evil:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:16 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Why aren't Democrats answering Barr and others with: "You mean like you did to Bill Clinton?"
Majority of voters voted for H. Clinton, IIRC. Small detail.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:02 pm
Here's something I don't understand-- A headline today:

Watching some of the hearings I expected to hear someone mention how the Republicans treated Clinton every five minutes. They never did.

Ditto for how the GOP handled "Benghazi." :evil:
Bill Barr is dangerous. There needs to be a serious, nonstop campaign to muddy him up as much as possible. I'm telling you, he is just waiting for the right moment. He must be utterly and completely demolished now, not AFTER he does whatever he has planned. Anyone who doesn't think he has a plan in his pocket and is biding his time is just plain not paying attention.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

CNN
Senior OMB official Mark Sandy testifying on Capitol Hill in closed-door deposition in impeachment inquiry

Washington (CNN)A senior career official at the Office of Management and Budget arrived on Capitol Hill Saturday for his closed-door deposition in the House impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.

Mark Sandy, who has served under both Republican and Democrat presidents, is the first OMB official to meet with impeachment investigators after others, like OMB director and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, refused.Sandy received a subpoena Saturday morning to appear before lawmakers, after his attorney said he would be willing to testify so long as he was subpoenaed.

"In light of an attempt by OMB to direct Mark Sandy not to appear for his scheduled deposition, and efforts to limit any testimony that does occur, the House Intelligence Committee issued a subpoena to compel his testimony," an official working on the impeachment inquiry told CNN. "As required of him by law, Mr. Sandy is complying with the subpoena and answering questions from both Democratic and Republican Members and staff."

Political appointees in the office have fought subpoenas, declined to provide documents, and tried in other ways to stonewall the probe, which is focused on whether Trump withheld US military aid to pressure Ukraine to conduct investigations he could benefit from politically.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Sure to be a fiery exchange inside the SCIF with Democrats Jamie Raskin & Eric Swalwell across from Republicans Jim Jordan & Mark Meadows.

Dem Jamie Raskin outside the secure room just told reporters that he can't comment on the testimony but indicated the testimony has been helpful to nail down the specifics on how the WH held up aid.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

bob

Post by bob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:40 pm

SLQ wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:34 am
I realized I was thinking of Zullo. Didn't that happen with his testimony? Or was that about privilege?
IIRC, Zullo invoked the Fifth like 200 times. Then decided to start answering questions. :roll:

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm

661779F2-611E-42D0-BEFF-364545CE4BA6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:21 pm

:dance:

Love the cow jokes, he deserves them.
► Show Spoiler
Almost five hours of testimony from Sandy now. House staffer told us Dems are questioning right now then GOP members are planning to waive their 45m question period. But that also could change.
Edit, coding error.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews
· 9h
Russians Delighted as Impeachment Confirms Trump Doesn't ‘Give a S--t About Ukraine’:
Putin could not possibly envision a sweeter gift than Ukraine falling away from the West into the welcoming—albeit bloodied—hands of the Kremlin.

https://thedailybeast.com/watching-impe ... ia=desktop via @thedailybeast

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Exclusive: After private White House meeting, Giuliani associate Lev Parnas said he was on a 'secret mission' for Trump, sources say
At one point during the party that night, Parnas and Fruman slipped out of a large reception room packed with hundreds of Trump donors to have a private meeting with the President and Giuliani, according to two acquaintances in whom Parnas confided right after the meeting.

Word of the encounter in the White House last December, which has not been previously reported, is further indication that Trump knew Parnas and Fruman, despite Trump publicly stating that he did not on the day after the two men were arrested at Dulles International Airport last month.

Eventually, according to what Parnas told his confidants, the topic turned to Ukraine that night. According to those two confidants, Parnas said that "the big guy," as he sometimes referred to the President in conversation, talked about tasking him and Fruman with what Parnas described as "a secret mission" to pressure the Ukrainian government to investigate Joe Biden and his son Hunter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/15/politics ... index.html

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks p0rtia, that was a great post about the area, really good to know. Why can't you be campaign manager? I mean, when you aren't aiming drones and all. :lovestruck:

Photo: Merry Christmas from the titular Mama June. Santa (aka Sugar Bear) and her lovely family!
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:20 pm

WaPo
How a CIA analyst, alarmed by Trump’s shadow foreign policy, triggered an impeachment inquiry

The lights are often on late into the evening at CIA headquarters, where a team of elite analysts works on classified reports that influence how the country responds to global crises.

In early August, one of those analysts was staying after hours on a project with even higher stakes. For two weeks, he pored over notes of alarming conversations with White House officials, reviewed details from interagency memos on the U.S. relationship with Ukraine and scanned public statements by President Trump.

He wove this material into a nine-page memo outlining evidence that Trump had abused the powers of his office to try to coerce Ukraine into helping him get reelected. Then, on Aug. 12, the analyst hit “send.”

His decision to report what he had learned to the U.S. intelligence community’s inspector general has transformed the political landscape of the United States, triggering a rapid-moving impeachment inquiry that now imperils Trump’s presidency.

Over the past three months, the allegations made in that document have been overwhelmingly substantiated — by the sworn testimony of administration officials, the inadvertent admissions of Trump’s acting chief of staff and, most importantly, the president’s own words, as captured on a record of his July 25 call with the leader of Ukraine.

As the impeachment inquiry entered a new phase of public hearings on Wednesday, the outlines of the case have been thoroughly established: President Trump, his personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani and two diplomats are alleged to have collaborated to pressure Ukraine to pursue investigations to bolster Trump’s conspiracy theories about the 2016 election and damage the prospects of his potential opponent in next year’s election, former vice president Joe Biden.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Ninja'd by Addie. Well worth reading.

Return to “Impeachment”