Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Abuse of Power; Whistleblower(s)

Addie

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Suborning Perjury; Whistleblower(s)

Post by Addie »

CBS News
Himes says "no question" Democrats could win vote to authorize impeachment inquiry

Connecticut Congressman Jim Himes, a Democratic member of the House Intelligence Committee, said Democratic lawmakers have enough support to authorize an impeachment inquiry of President Trump if such a resolution were to be brought up for a vote on the House floor, as some Republicans have demanded.

"If Speaker Pelosi did in fact move forward with a floor vote on actually proceeding with an investigation — which as you point out is not required here — there's no question in my mind that she would have the votes," Himes said on "Face the Nation" Sunday. ...

The White House is also expected to send Congress a letter this week saying it will not recognize the impeachment inquiry until there is a floor vote to authorize it.

In response to McCarthy's letter last week, Pelosi said there's no requirement under the Constitution or House rules to hold a vote on the House floor before conducting an impeachment inquiry.

Asked if a resolution voted by the full House to approve an inquiry could help Democrats counter Republican efforts to discredit the investigation, Himes suggested it would be counterproductive to focus on trying to appease the concerns of their colleagues on the other side of the aisle.

"Well, you know, if you try to spend your time killing Republican talking points, you'll do nothing else," he said.

Addie

Re: Intelligence/Judiciary Impeachment Investigation: Trump Obstruction; Suborning Perjury; Whistleblower(s)

Post by Addie »

Lieu.house.gov
Whistleblower Guide

Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D | Los Angeles County) and Congressman Don Beyer (D | Virginia) offer the following resource guide for federal employees who wish to break the Administration’s communications blackout on federal agencies. The guide explains how to safely and responsibly share information, and encourages employees to "Know Your Rights" and "Know Your Options." In the "Know Your Rights" section, federal employees can learn about which federal laws apply to them. In the "Know Your Options" section, employees can learn about how to safely disseminate information to agency inspectors general and the press. The resource guide also includes links to an in-depth list of federal whistleblower statutes and information about agency inspectors general. Reps. Lieu and Beyer initially introduced this guide in 2017 and updated it in 2019.

-To download a PDF version of the resource guide, click here.

-For information on the Federal Inspectors General and how whistleblowers can report government fraud, waste and abuse, click here.

-For more information on federal employee protections, click here.

Additional Resources: ...

tek

Post by tek »

:boxing:

There's no way back
from there to here
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Now we're talking. Going on the offensive in a powerful, useful, calm and legal way. Imagine that.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

Does anyone think Whistleblower # 2 is someone who was in the room listening to the phone call? I still think the timing of the resignation of Dan Coats and his deputy was significant.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill
Top House Democrat: 'We have Trump appointees who are clearly unnerved by the lawlessness of this president'

House Democratic Caucus Chair Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said Sunday that moves by the intelligence community's inspector general and the CIA’s general counsel indicate President Trump’s own appointees are “unnerved by the lawlessness” of the Trump administration.

Appearing on ABC’s “This Week,” Jeffries noted that the inspector general called the whistleblower report of Trump’s July call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky a matter of “urgent national concern” and that the CIA counsel sent a criminal referral to the Justice Department regarding the complaint.

“We have Trump appointees who are clearly unnerved by the lawlessness of this president,” Jeffries said.

“The bottom line is the central allegations that are at issue here: the president betrayed his oath of office, he’s engaged in serious wrongdoing. The administration without justification withheld $391 million dollars in military aid from a vulnerable Ukraine” while pushing for an investigation into former Vice President Joe Biden’s son Hunter, Jeffries said.

“That is textbook abuse of power… that’s the issue that we should be dealing with,” Jeffries said.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Lieu is my Congressman.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Breaking. Chairmen Schiff, Cummings, and Engel have subpoenaed the Pentagon and the Office of Management and Budget for key Ukraine documents as part of the House's impeachment inquiry. The deadline is October 15.

Pentagon: https://bit.ly/2pTlnK5
OMB: https://bit.ly/2Iw3OWL

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sterngard Friegen wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:00 pm Lieu is my Congressman.
I follow him on Twitter. He has great skill responding to Trump’s tweets. :boxing:

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
kate520

Post by kate520 »

;) Schiff is my Congressman.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

kate520 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:46 pm ;) Schiff is my Congressman.
I like him too.

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

Hearing that Dems are trying to arrange for whistleblower to testify with identity and voice masked. This has got to be unprecedented.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Txt from Trump campaign,
Pres. Trump: We just launched a new TV ad. Let's raise $1 MILLION in 24 HOURS to get this ad everywhere! Donate NOW:

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:42 pm Does anyone think Whistleblower # 2 is someone who was in the room listening to the phone call? I still think the timing of the resignation of Dan Coats and his deputy was significant.
Since WB #2 apparently has FIRST-HAND knowledge, I would say yes.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

SuzieC wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm Hearing that Dems are trying to arrange for whistleblower to testify with identity and voice masked. This has got to be unprecedented.
I would expect frantic attendance-taking across the intelligence services during that time.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm
SuzieC wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:42 pm Does anyone think Whistleblower # 2 is someone who was in the room listening to the phone call? I still think the timing of the resignation of Dan Coats and his deputy was significant.
Since WB #2 apparently has FIRST-HAND knowledge, I would say yes.
If the person is from the Intelligence Community it could have been their job to sit in a room nearby and officially listen into the call. Just maybe some door remained open. Or just maybe the background noise among the participants carried farther than expected. :think:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Help me out here. I seem to recall seeing a blurb recently about Sondland bring involved in setting up some private business entity after he became ambassador. It founded sketchy as hell, but I might have Mia understood the details.

Did anyone else see anything like this?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
much ado

Post by much ado »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:00 pm Help me out here. I seem to recall seeing a blurb recently about Sondland bring involved in setting up some private business entity after he became ambassador. It founded sketchy as hell, but I might have Mia understood the details.

Did anyone else see anything like this?
I thought I saw something about shell company(ies) being set up, but I cannot now find any link to it.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

That was it.

There was something about a shell company.

Hmmmmm

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm

That first Hsu tweet appeared odd to me: I seemed to remember the "roadmap" being unsealed fairly recently. So, I found this:

The Watergate Road Map: What It Says and What It Suggests for Mueller

By Jack Goldsmith, Benjamin Wittes Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 6:15 PM

In neat script near the top of the document, someone has written, “Filed under seal, March 1, 1974.” Above that, red typed letters read, “Unsealed October 11, 2018 by Chief Judge Beryl A. Howell, United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Order No. 11-mc-44 (BAH).

The Jaworski “Road Map,” the last great still-secret Watergate document, became public Wednesday when the National Archives released it under Judge Howell’s ruling from earlier this month. It sees the light of day for the first time in four and a half decades at a remarkable moment, one in which a different special prosecutor is considering the conduct of a different president and reportedly contemplating—as Watergate Special Prosecutor Leon Jaworski once did—writing a report on the subject.

The document’s release owes a great deal to the legal team at Protect Democracy, which represented Stephen Bates and the two of us in seeking its unsealing.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/watergate-r ... ts-mueller

I'm not remembering: did Congress get this document in 1974, yet it remained under seal? :?

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Sondland has lawyered up and his attorney of choice is ... ta da! ... none other than Robert Luskin, who represented Karl Rove in the mid-2000's. Luskin's practice of the law has been colorful. He also represented the Sacoccias, a couple convicted of bigly money laundering:
Luskin insisted that he “never have, and never would, knowingly accept a fee that was the proceeds of illegal activities.”

But when federal prosecutors finally got a chance to depose Luskin and Saccoccia’s other lawyers, they found that their lawyers’ fees had come in forms “such as gold bars, cash that was dropped off at hotels and trunks of cars, and money transfers from Swiss bank accounts.”

Eventually, in 1998, Luskin came to a settlement with the government in which he agreed to cough up $245,000 of the money he’d gotten from Saccoccia.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/95593 (Alas, there's a paywall.)

What's the big deal? Don't all reputable attorneys accept payments in gold bars, etc., from their clients?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard could tell you.

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Whatever4 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Nixon was impeached?

tek

Post by tek »

impeached, resigned, tomato, tomahto

;)

There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “Impeachment”