Betsy DeVos

Chilidog

Re: Betsy DeVos

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:06 am

Suranis wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:22 am
Sorry, I'm going to use "punchable face" when its a punchable face. For one thing, going the way you want is endorsing violence against men and saying that they are an acceptable target to be punched, and therefore the 40% of domestic violence victims that are Men abused by women deserve it. And if that's what you are going for then fuck you.
Wow, did you ever miss the point.

I'm not even sure where you are going here, because no where did I see anyone endorsing violence against men. TRL's request was for people to not use the term at all, not just to not use it agains women.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

vic

Post by vic » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/us/p ... -guns.html
Betsy DeVos Is Said to Weigh Letting School Districts Use Federal Funds to Buy Guns

WASHINGTON — The Education Department is considering whether to allow states to use federal funding to purchase guns for educators, according to multiple people with knowledge of the plan.

Such a move appears to be unprecedented, reversing a longstanding position taken by the federal government that it should not pay to outfit schools with weapons. And it would also undermine efforts by Congress to restrict the use of federal funding on guns. As recently as March, Congress passed a school safety bill that allocated $50 million a year to local school districts, but expressly prohibited the use of the money for firearms.

But the department is eyeing a program in federal education law, the Student Support and Academic Enrichment grants, that makes no mention of prohibiting weapons purchases. That omission would allow Betsy DeVos, the education secretary, to use her discretion to approve any state or district plans to use grant funding for firearms and firearm training, unless Congress clarifies the law or bars such funding through legislative action.

“The department is constantly considering and evaluating policy issues, particularly issues related to school safety,” said Liz Hill, a spokeswoman for the Education Department. “The secretary nor the department issues opinions on hypothetical scenarios.”
Can't afford new textbooks or classroom supplies, but guns are ok.

I guess they'll say that there isn't a right to books or supplies in the Constitution...

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:13 am

I didn't know Betsy DeVos had any say whatsoever over my local school district.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:17 am

This is not France. DeVos has no say over your local schools except if grants are sought.

That is good because DeVos appears to know little about education. Or about public schools. Another of Trump's disastrous appointments. I do not know if she is educable.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:17 pm

DlS6dH5VsAE0LH2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 am

Betsy DeVos has presented a solution to an age-old problem.

For decades (maybe forever), teachers have had to spend their own money for class supplies.

But now all the teacher has to do is take a ski mask and the classroom semi-automatic, and hold up a liquor store or bank.

Problem solved!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:42 pm

From Politico -
Judge rules DeVos delay of Obama-era student loan rules ‘unlawful’

A federal judge on Wednesday ruled that Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ various delays of Obama-era regulations governing loan forgiveness for defrauded borrowers were illegal.

U.S. District Court Judge Randolph Moss sided with consumer advocates and Democratic attorneys general from 19 states and the District of Columbia who had challenged the Trump administration’s postponement of the regulations, which are known as “borrower defense to repayment.”

DeVos had taken actions to delay those rules until July 1, 2019, in order to give the Education Department enough time to rewrite them. But in a sweeping 57-page decision, the judge ruled that DeVos’ actions were “unlawful”, “procedurally invalid” and “arbitrary and capricious.”

The final delay of the regulations, the court ruled, was “procedurally defective” because DeVos failed to conduct a negotiated rulemaking on whether to postpone the rules.
I'm glad to see this. I really dislike those in Trump's administration, but I despise DeVos. Students have a hard enough time with student loans; something must be done. But DeVos is evil. She serves to make the problem worse.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

bob

Post by bob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Too also: these aren't first regulations tossed as "arbitrary and capricious" (which is a really high standard, BTW).

The federal government is sprawling, but you would think at some point an adult would notice that the administration's attitude toward regulations might need some refinement.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:08 am

bob wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm
Too also: these aren't first regulations tossed as "arbitrary and capricious" (which is a really high standard, BTW).

The federal government is sprawling, but you would think at some point an adult would notice that the administration's attitude toward regulations might need some refinement.
One would think, if it were an administration of rational functional adults instead of rather to incredibly ignorant self important wannabe despots who think they know better than everyone else, and only have nothing but contempt for the people they are supposed to be serving, starting with unindicted conspirator #1. They ALL have a fatal case of "the rules don't apply to me" and they keep proving it daily.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

The Trump administration said Thursday it will cancel thousands of borrowers’ federal student loans, carrying out an Obama-era policy that Education Secretary Betsy DeVos had fought to kill.

The move comes as DeVos is being forced to implement a package of regulations that created more protections for student loan borrowers who were affected by a school closure or defrauded by their college.
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2018 ... ns-1063442
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm

how can we get on that list

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:53 pm

The forgiveness of student loans applies only to students whose colleges closed down while they were enrolled and whose credits haven't (and presumably couldn't be) transferred to another school. Essentially students abandoned by their schools. An example is the 20000 or so students indebted to the Educational Corporation of America, which shut down abruptly about two months ago, closing several schools around the country including Brightwood College and Virginia College.

Those are the ones getting this forgiveness of the student loan --- and Betsy DeVos wants to short-circuit this law (passed under Obama and put into operation oh-so-slowly by Trump) so that even students flim-flammed by the college for which they borrowed the money cannot catch a break.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 pm

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
9m9 minutes ago
More
Wielding control of the House and a new set of investigative powers, Democrats are preparing to bring Education Sec. Betsy DeVos under the sharpest scrutiny she's seen since taking office. https://abcn.ws/2FPb93a
:-D
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:07 pm

:madguy:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Roger Sollenberger

@SollenbergerRC
3h3 hours ago
Update: It’s from Trump’s budget, but in her purview — a proposal, not definitive cut yet. Also proposes cutting a $51 million project that aids autism and other disorders

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Monica Alba

Verified account

@albamonica
Follow Follow @albamonica
More
NEW from President Trump to @HallieJackson on the South Lawn: “The Special Olympics will be funded, I just told my people”

3:22 PM - 28 Mar 2019

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm

She's changed her tune. ;)
NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
19s20 seconds ago
More
Sec. DeVos: “I am pleased and grateful the president and I see eye-to-eye on this issue, and that he has decided to” include funding for the Special Olympics in the budget request. “This is funding I have fought for behind-the-scenes over the last several years.”

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 pm

I’m glad the Special Olympics is getting their funding, but there are massive cuts to education for deaf and blind students, research on autism etc that didn’t get nearly the level of awareness that is still part of those cuts.

This is one small but important victory, but we can go “OK, all is well now” and let the rest of this atrocity through.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:28 pm
Monica Alba @albamonica

NEW from President Trump to @HallieJackson on the South Lawn: “The Special Olympics will be funded, I just told my people”

3:22 PM - 28 Mar 2019
I guess someone in the WH noticed that the Special Olympics is a world wide contest and that the image of dotus may take a hit in the world press and they may compare it to the #MAGA challenge :blackeye:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:32 pm

If you believe Betsy has been fighting hard for years for anyone but herself and her interests, I have a pristine wetland in Brooklyn and a bridge to nowhere at REAL STEAL prices. BUY NOW — they are going FAST!!!!!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 am

Believing Trump (for the sake of argument), he learned that Special Olympics had been de-funded about a week after everyone else did.

More likely, he was on board with it from the beginning, but decided to flip-flop (and embarrass DeVos) only after it was obvious that the reaction (even among Republicans) was so bad.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 am

In any normal administration, a cabinet secretary who had their position abruptly countermanded by POTUS to the cameras on the White House lawn would have resigned about 30 seconds afterwards.

Of course, in a normal administration, Secretary Amway wouldn't have a fucking cabinet-level job. :madguy:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:17 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 am
Believing Trump (for the sake of argument), he learned that Special Olympics had been de-funded about a week after everyone else did.

More likely, he was on board with it from the beginning, but decided to flip-flop (and embarrass DeVos) only after it was obvious that the reaction (even among Republicans) was so bad.
She has proposed cuts to Special Olympics in her past budgets and those couldn't get past congress even when Republicans held the majority in both chambers. What was she thinking would happen with this new House? I know she is a vile person, but I didn't think she was ignorant.
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:15 am
Of course, in a normal administration, Secretary Amway wouldn't have a fucking cabinet-level job. :madguy:
:yeah:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 am

Twitler makes decisions based on how they might affect his "brand".

He watches the Tee Vee, and when he sees that something isn't going to help his brand, he changes course.

I love the image of him watching himself on the Tee Vee as he is praising a member of Congress who is suing an imaginary cow. This is what our Founding Fathers envisioned for us, lo these many moons ago. :blink:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”