Betsy DeVos

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Betsy DeVos

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:07 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/betsy-de ... ges-2017-2
:snippity:
Marybeth Gasman, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania who has written numerous books about the history of black colleges and who is director of the Penn Center for Minority-Serving Institutions, took to Facebook to describe her anger at the DeVos statement and the idea that people are taking seriously the Trump administration's outreach to black colleges.

Gasman wrote: "Take a look at this ahistorical and inaccurate depiction of HBCUs by Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. See how HBCUs and their creation are described -- 'they saw that the system wasn't working.' I'm talking to the media about this right now.

And then folks are wondering why I don't advocate for kowtowing with Trump and his White Supremacist friends. They are trying to pretend that a vast system of oppression, slavery, Jim Crow, and discrimination never existed. And then using HBCUs to promote their school choice agenda ... give me a break. Stop falling for the okie doke people! You can't negotiate with White supremacists for Black rights and opportunities. #WhitewashingHBCUhistory"

Take that, Betsy and Trump and Miller and Bannon!!!!!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Sam the Centipede

Re: Betsy DeVos

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:49 pm

I am amazed (I know I shouldn't be!) at the complete tone-deafness of Trump and his people. Remember how he criticized Mr. Khizr Kahn (the father of a fallen soldier, oh yes, and a non-white Muslim) and obnoxiously speculated that Mrs. Khan standing silently beside her husband "maybe wasn't allowed to have anything to say."?

It's the same thing with Betsy DeVos, isn't it? Complete incomprehension about what assholes they are. Constructing their own reality where they are wonderful perfect people and we are fools for not realizing that.

Of course, the historically black colleges did a fantastic job. It was brilliant how they freed their students so they were no longer "black students" but simply "students" as race was removed from the equation in the classrooms. I regard them with great respect as a triumph of the black community's spirit and efforts to rise above the systemic prejudice and oppression inflicted on them by the dominant white community.

I remember seeing a brochure from South Africa's tourist authority in the late 1960s, promoting tourism there. It spoke very nicely about how the policy of "separate development" freed different communities to follow their own culture, be self-governing in their homelands (? probably not the correct term). It all sounded very lovely, except that wasn't how apartheid was actually worked. Betsy DeVos is doing the same.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:15 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:18 pm

But on the plus side for Betsy, probably not a Russian agent.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Dan1100 wrote:But on the plus side for Betsy, probably not a Russian agent.
I remember Betsy DeVos's stupidity from when I was teaching is Michigan. She was an idiot then. She has gotten worse.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Northland10 wrote:
I remember Betsy DeVos's stupidity from when I was teaching is Michigan. She was an idiot then. She has gotten worse.
I think she has some issues understanding context and history. She looks like she steps into a new world each day.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:01 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Northland10 wrote:
I think she has some issues understanding context and history. She looks like she steps into a new world each day.
Self implementing the "No child left behind" act?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 am

Someone on Twitter, not happy that people were saying Betsy DeVos doesn't deserve an honorary degree, pointed out Barack Hussein Obama (gotta use the full name, apparently) got six of them from schools he didn't attend. Because a respected Constitutional law instructor at a top law school who became a senator and the President is just like Betsy DeVos.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:42 pm

The freshly educated versus the barely...
Students boo Trump's education secretary Betsy DeVos
US Education Secretary Betsy DeVos faces thunderous boos from students as she gives the graduation address at historically black Bethune-Cookman University in Florida.

Follow the link for the video clip

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 pm

I am SO proud of those students. In an effort to feel young again I tweeted "Boo!" to Betsy DeVos the same day.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu May 11, 2017 8:40 pm

I can't think of a more deserving person for that ancient academic accolade. I can't imagine the school's administration really thought the whole thing through very well before they did it.

Rather reminds me of the days of old when I was at college and for some unfathomable reason the school administration invited the state legislator who had pretty much single handedly cut our funding to the bone to speak at a college assembly. He was roundly booed and all but chased off the platform. I don't know if things were thrown, but he never came back that is for sure. Good times.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:06 am

WASHINGTON — The Department of Education is scaling back investigations into civil rights violations at the nation’s public schools and universities, easing off mandates imposed by the Obama administration that the new leadership says have bogged down the agency.

According to an internal memo issued by Candice E. Jackson, the acting head of the department’s office for civil rights, requirements that investigators broaden their inquiries to identify systemic issues and whole classes of victims will be scaled back. Also, regional offices will no longer be required to alert department officials in Washington of all highly sensitive complaints on issues such as the disproportionate disciplining of minority students and the mishandling of sexual assaults on college campuses.

The new directives are the first steps taken under Education Secretary Betsy DeVos to reshape her agency’s approach to civil rights enforcement, which was bolstered while President Barack Obama was in office. The efforts during Mr. Obama’s administration resulted in far-reaching investigations and resolutions that required schools and colleges to overhaul policies addressing a number of civil rights concerns.
In the administration’s budget request for the fiscal year that begins in October, the Education Department has proposed cutting more than 40 staff positions from the office for civil rights, which would require the office to “make difficult choices, including cutting back on initiating proactive investigations,” the department wrote.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/p ... devos.html
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Republicans slam dunk Betsy DeVos!

http://www.rollcall.com/news/policy/sen ... ation-cuts
Senate Republicans Reject DeVos’ Proposed Education Cuts -

Senate appropriators told Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Tuesday that the Education Department’s budget request was dead on arrival in Congress, with Republicans and Democrats alike defending programs the department proposes to slash or eliminate in fiscal 2018.

Sen. Roy Blunt, the subcommittee chairman, said students would be hurt if programs that promoted career and technical education and helped disadvantaged students attend college were cut. The Missouri Republican said that when it came to ending federal assistance to before- and after-school programs, it would “be all but impossible to get those kinds of cuts through this committee.”

“The kinds of cuts that are proposed in this budget will not occur,” he said.

Senate Appropriations Chairman Thad Cochran raised concerns about cuts to grant programs to provide professional development grants to teachers.

“We need to train teachers and support the training of teachers,” the Mississippi Republican said. “There are federal programs that are legitimate and need to be on the front burner for the support and strengthening of our federal programs that help us teach our children.”

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Wow! I've read a few other things that republicans don't like in the budget cuts, too. Too bad they are so gung-ho on the ACA repeal. I hope their constituents will make their opinions known and change their minds, but I'm not really too hopeful about that.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm

AndyinPA wrote:Wow! I've read a few other things that republicans don't like in the budget cuts, too. Too bad they are so gung-ho on the ACA repeal. I hope their constituents will make their opinions known and change their minds, but I'm not really too hopeful about that.
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/s ... care-fight

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
AndyinPA wrote:Wow! I've read a few other things that republicans don't like in the budget cuts, too. Too bad they are so gung-ho on the ACA repeal. I hope their constituents will make their opinions known and change their minds, but I'm not really too hopeful about that.
See my post this morning about a podcast and remember to call your senators be they Republican or Democrat.
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 41#p891341

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
See my post this morning about a podcast and remember to call your senators be they Republican or Democrat.
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 41#p891341
Wow, what a lot of nothing but talking points. I come away with thinking we need Medicare for all.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I read about that earlier today. It sounds good to me.

:like:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:29 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/0 ... ons-240260
The lawsuit filed in Federal District Court in D.C., led by Massachusetts and joined by 18 other Democratic attorneys general, accuses DeVos of illegally delaying the regulations aimed at predatory colleges, which were finalized by the Obama administration and had been set to take effect on July 1.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm

Betsy DeVos, Title IX, and the “Both Sides” Approach to Sexual Assault

By Jeannie Suk Gersen September 8, 2017

Over the summer, anticipation over what the Education Department might do about campus sexual assault heightened as the Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos, held high-profile meetings with groups advocating for the interests of universities, sexual-assault victims, and accused students—including one men’s-rights group accused of harassing women online. DeVos’s civil-rights head, Candace Jackson, alarmingly, told the Times that “90 percent” of campus accusations are over drunk or breakup sex
surprisingly I see this:
The non-binding status of the Dear Colleague Letter meant that a new Administration could easily retract it with another letter, much in the same way that the Trump Administration retracted the guidance on transgender students earlier this year. But DeVos pointedly did not do this, declaring,“The era of ‘rule by letter’ is over.” Instead, she announced that the agency would engage in precisely the notice-and-comment rulemaking process that the Obama Administration chose to skip.
More at the link https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... al-assault

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:12 pm

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos was met with student protesters holding signs and raising their fists during her speech at Harvard University http://cnn.it/2hCnCNE

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/0 ... 9?cmpid=sf
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos' security detail could cost up to $6.54 million from now through the end of September 2018, an Education Department official told POLITICO on Monday.

That projected cost is seen as a "high water mark" that the agency doesn't plan to exceed, said spokeswoman Liz Hill.

An agreement governing DeVos' protective detail — which is provided around the clock by the U.S. Marshals Service — was just renewed for fiscal 2018, which began on Saturday.

The Education Department paid the marshals $5.28 million for her protective detail from February through September of this year — about $2.5 million less than what was projected.

That's because both agencies were able to find cost savings, Hill said. For example, DeVos pays for the marshals to fly with her on her own private plane, which reduces travel costs, she said. DeVos foots the bill for the plane.

It's extremely unusual for the Education secretary to be protected by marshals — the past four Education secretaries have been protected by the Education Department’s own small security force.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 pm
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/0 ... 9?cmpid=sf
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos' security detail could cost up to $6.54 million from now through the end of September 2018, an Education Department official told POLITICO on Monday.

It's extremely unusual for the Education secretary to be protected by marshals — the past four Education secretaries have been protected by the Education Department’s own small security force.
I wonder if Betsy DeVos in her pre-administration life was using a permanent personal bodyguard (Blackwater?) and wanted to have the government service provide with more clout than just a department security officer.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Sadly, I knew this was coming. Gorsuch will be pleased. As a judge, he had a very narrow and wrong view of IDEA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... -students/

DeVos rescinds 72 guidance documents outlining rights for disabled students
Rep. Robert C. “Bobby” Scott (D-Va.) called the elimination of the special education guidance “the latest in a series of disturbing actions taken by the Trump Administration to undermine civil rights for vulnerable Americans.”

“Much of the guidance around [the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act] focused on critical clarifications of the regulations required to meet the needs of students with disabilities and provide them a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment,” Scott said in a statement. “Notwithstanding the actions taken by the Department today, the regulations still remained enforced; however they lack the clarification the guidance provided.”
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 am

When any, and all, of these regulations are rescinded, I always think of what it took to get them in place and how hard it's going to be to try to replace them.

:cry:

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”