Acting AG Fired For Doing The Just Thing

Skip Intro

Re: Acting AG Fired For Doing The Just Thing

Post by Skip Intro »

It took Nixon something like five years to get to where Trump is in ten days.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

YellowMustard

Post by YellowMustard »

No news articles yet but rumor is that Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Mr Daniel Ragsdale got the axe too
----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

He did. Job opportunity for Joe Arpaio. He said some very nice things about Donald Trump.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

YellowMustard wrote:No news articles yet but rumor is that Acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director Mr Daniel Ragsdale got the axe too
Only source I've seen for that is a tweet from a Frank Luntz, also promoted Celebrity Apprentice in same tweet.

Just saw Lawrence report it.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

The new guy.

Thomas Homan deports people. And he’s really good at it.

Homan is the Washington bureaucrat in charge of rounding up, detaining and kicking illegal immigrants out of the country. As Americans fight over whether the next president should build a wall on the Mexico border to keep migrants out or protect millions of them from deportation, Homan is actually hunting undocumented immigrants down right now, setting strategy for 8,000 officers on the front lines.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Yep, pretty soon there will be millions of dishwasher, maid, crop harvesting and leaf-blowing jobs freed up for the deserving white Americans who so badly want them.

I'm sure they'll be lining up for $9/hr. with no benefits, workers' comp coverage or FICA contributions.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

He is so evil. Yeah he's trying to unify and bring the country together. Fu*k him. Makes the statement on FB, they should ban him for hate speech, reported the post.
Yates.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#Birther #Grifter #Liar Mike Zullo is Too Hot For TV! And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season in March on weTV!

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed »

First thing tomorrow AM for me: my Republican Senator gets a call on the matter of his intentions re Sessions as AG.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

:like: WTG Pompeed.

5 Calls (make 5 calls for action) has scripts and call info: https://5calls.org/#issue/recDDVHo6JXv9KYC6
Prevent the Confirmation of Jeff Sessions for Attorney General

Senator Jeff Sessions was denied a Federal Judgeship by the Senate 30 years ago due to allegations of racism. He career has been defined by his lack support for immigration reform, rejection of marriage equality and civil liberties for the LGBTQ community, and believing the Constitution does not require a separation of Church and State. Sessions will not serve in the interests of all Americans and should not be confirmed.

The Senate Judiciary Committee was scheduled to vote on the conformation of Sessions on January 24th, but it was pushed back to Tuesday January 31st. Now is the time to call your members of congress and demand they reject Sessions for Attorney General.

Script:
Hi, my name is [Name] and I'm a constituent from [City, State, Zip].

I'm calling to express my deep opposition to the confirmation of Jeff Sessions for Attorney General.

May I ask how [Senator’s Name] will be voting?

[If NO for Confirmation]: Please tell the Senator thank you for listening to their constituents. Have a good day.

[If YES for Confirmation]: Senator Sessions has a long history of allegations of racism, is anti-LGBTQ rights, and has not enforced the Voting Rights Act. He will not protect all of the people of the United States. I urge the Senator to reconsider their position and reject the confirmation. I will remember [Senator’s Name] stance in the next election.

[Optional: add anything else you wish to say here]

Thank you for your time.

[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your entire home address to ensure your call is tallied]
It's a good site with instant contact info for your reps.
#Birther #Grifter #Liar Mike Zullo is Too Hot For TV! And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season in March on weTV!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Rachel Maddow is doing another live hour now (Midnight January 31) on MSNBC to cover the Yates matter.
Rex.PNG
Excellent AP story on this: https://apnews.com/98c2a8cac3b74bde803f ... efugee-ban
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

If Mattis is so "incensed" he should resign. Let's see if he is a Profile in Courage. I suspect not.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

bob

Post by bob »

N.Y. Post: Jeff Sessions asked former acting AG if she would say ‘no’ to president:
Former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates, who was fired on Monday for refusing to defend President Trump’s immigration ban, was questioned by Senator Jeff Sessions in what now appears to be remarkable moment during her 2015 confirmation hearing.

Sessions, Trump’s current nominee for attorney general, had warned Yates during his grilling that she may face a crucial decision when confronting the president.

“Do you think the attorney general has the responsibility to say ‘no’ to the president if he asks for something that’s improper?” Sessions asked Yates in the hearing.

“If the views that the president wants to execute are unlawful should the attorney general or deputy attorney general say ‘no’?”

Yates replied that she was bound by the Constitution to do what is best for the country.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Not to worry too much about Yates. Former (and esp high ranking) US Attorneys get very nice private law firm positions.

But, in view of the Nixon incident, this puts Trump way ahead in the impeachment sweepstakes.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Fortinbras wrote:Not to worry too much about Yates. Former (and esp high ranking) US Attorneys get very nice private law firm positions.

But, in view of the Nixon incident, this puts Trump way ahead in the impeachment sweepstakes.
OMG. We're not worried about Yates or where she lands after being fired. We're worried about what it says about Trump and his willingness to be a complete and total asshole, and what he thinks are appropriate and acceptable ways to run the fucking country. Nobody actually gives a shit if Yates retires and takes up knitting full-time.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Yates was days away from retiring. She'll be fine. We won't be.

Who is Sally Yates? Meet the acting attorney general Trump fired for ‘betraying’ the Justice Department

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... f3179ddd83
“She did what she believes was the right thing to do and then she gets fired for it,” the official said. “This is not how she would have preferred to end her 27-year career. But she did what she had to do.”

Those who know Yates well said that her action was consistent with the independence and commitment to the rule of law they say she has exhibited throughout her career.

“For nearly three decades, Acting Attorney General Sally Yates has served Presidents of both parties, defending the Constitution and holding terrorists and other criminals accountable,” said former labor secretary Tom Perez, who was head of the civil rights division in the Obama administration.

“Acting Attorney General Yates’s record is simply beyond reproach,” said Perez, who is running to be chair of the Democratic National Committee.
Interesting point from the comments.
When I was an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Maryland, Joe Curran, then the Attorney General, used to point out that the question for any attorney is: Who is the client. He emphasized that the Governor is not the client for an Assistant AG. A particular government agent is not the client. The State is the client. And in the case of the Justice Department, the United States of America is the client. We the People are the client! Ms. Yates did the right thing.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Karma, baby. Karma.

2015 video shows Jeff Sessions asking Sally Yates if she would say no to the president if he asks for something 'unlawful'
A video of former Deputy US Attorney General Sally Yates's 2015 confirmation hearing foreshadows the exact series of events that led to her firing by President Donald Trump on Monday.

The video resurfaced after Yates was dismissed for telling Justice Department employees she was not convinced Trump's executive order targeting immigrants and refugees was lawful.

During Yates's 2015 confirmation hearing, Jeff Sessions, the Alabama senator who Trump would later nominate as his attorney general, asked Yates "Do you think the attorney general has a responsibility to say no to the president if he asks for something that's improper?"

Yates, who was nominated by former President Barack Obama, said: "Senator, I believe that the attorney general or the deputy attorney general has an obligation to follow the law and the Constitution, and to give their independent legal advice to the president."
http://www.businessinsider.com/sally-ya ... ing-2017-1

Video in article
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

But that was the black Democrat president

It doesn't apply to white Republican presidents.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Profiles in Courage Award nominations close tomorrow, Feb. 1st.
Ordinarily, the award will be made to living Americans who are or were elected officials. Individuals at all levels of government—federal, state and local—are eligible for the award. An emphasis will be placed on contemporary acts of political courage.
https://profileincourageaward.org/

I nominated Sally Yates.
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Whatever4 wrote:Profiles in Courage Award nominations close tomorrow, Feb. 1st.
Ordinarily, the award will be made to living Americans who are or were elected officials. Individuals at all levels of government—federal, state and local—are eligible for the award. An emphasis will be placed on contemporary acts of political courage.
https://profileincourageaward.org/

I nominated Sally Yates.
:thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

TexasFilly wrote:If Mattis is so "incensed" he should resign. Let's see if he is a Profile in Courage. I suspect not.
Mattis may be under the delusion he can control or guide Trump and Bannon. He, like many others, may just be learning that Trump is sick.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I hope Mattis does not resign.

His replacement could be worse.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Chilidog wrote:I hope Mattis does not resign.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I want DoD in sane hands, or the closest available approximation thereto. At the moment, that's "Mad Dog" and damn near nobody else. I want him holding the line on keeping the military as apolitical as possible, as focused on mission as possible, and as far out of the White House sphere of Tasmanian-Devilish lunacy as possible. And if doing those three things means that he has to keep his head down and his mouth shut about other things, that's far from ideal, but, at least until there's been time for things to settle down a little, I'll take it.

And, yes, it's possible that things aren't going to settle down, in which case I'll re-evaluate that thought.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Mikedunford wrote:
Chilidog wrote:I hope Mattis does not resign.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I want DoD in sane hands, or the closest available approximation thereto. At the moment, that's "Mad Dog" and damn near nobody else. I want him holding the line on keeping the military as apolitical as possible, as focused on mission as possible, and as far out of the White House sphere of Tasmanian-Devilish lunacy as possible. And if doing those three things means that he has to keep his head down and his mouth shut about other things, that's far from ideal, but, at least until there's been time for things to settle down a little, I'll take it.

And, yes, it's possible that things aren't going to settle down, in which case I'll re-evaluate that thought.
I agree.

And he can only resign once. He should save it for a really stupid and illegal use of the military that is bound to occur and has McCain and the other sane Republican "hawks" backing him up.

tek

Post by tek »

And he can only resign once. He should save it for a really stupid and illegal use of the military that is bound to occur and has McCain and the other sane Republican "hawks" backing him up.
How the hell did we get here?
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”