Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Cross-posted (in part):

No Senator thought to ask Pompeo if he agreed with Trump that the United States' worsening relationship wtih Russia was caused, in part, by the Mueller investigation. That would have tied the investigation to Pompeo's new job and would have been a question he would be expected to answer.

I would have loved to see Pompeo squirm.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:15 pm

WaPo
Mike Pompeo’s confusing answer about whether Trump asked him to intervene in the Russia investigation

One of the biggest questions hanging over Mike Pompeo's nomination as secretary of state is whether he's too willing to do President Trump's bidding.

An answer he gave at Thursday's confirmation hearing won't do anything to temper those suspicions.

Pompeo was asked about a March 2017 briefing after which Trump asked everyone except Pompeo and Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats to leave the room. According to The Washington Post's reporting, Coats later told associates that Trump had, in that smaller group, asked him to intervene with then-FBI Director James B. Comey to get him to back off investigating former national security adviser Michael T. Flynn. Trump also generally fumed about the Russia investigation, which Comey had confirmed just two days prior.

So, with Pompeo under oath, Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) sought clarity on the episode. He asked Pompeo whether Trump had made such a request. And Pompeo offered three distinct responses:
“I’m not going to talk about the conversations with the president that I had.”
“I don’t recall what he asked me that day, precisely.”
“He has never asked me to do anything that I consider remotely improper.”
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Sen. Bob Menendez is asking Robert Mueller if there were any prohibitions on CIA Dir. Pompeo answering his questions about his conversation with Trump in which Trump complained about Comey (Pompeo wouldn’t answer those questions during his confirmation hearing).

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Sen. Bob Menendez is asking Robert Mueller if there were any prohibitions on CIA Dir. Pompeo answering his questions about his conversation with Trump in which Trump complained about Comey (Pompeo wouldn’t answer those questions during his confirmation hearing).
So did he get an answer yesterday?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm

@SM, not that I've seen.

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:41 am

Ken Klippenstein

@kenklippenstein
Watchdog group tells me it has received "flood" of complaints from CIA personnel about Pompeo pushing religion in the workplace, at times discussing the Rapture.

"The people that worked under him at the CIA that came to us...were scared shitless.”

@kenklippenstein
Here's Trump's nominee for Secretary of State saying "It is a never ending battle until...the Rapture."
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Of course. Why does it not surprise me in the least that Mike Pompeo would turn out to be an Evangelical?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:01 pm
Of course. Why does it not surprise me in the least that Mike Pompeo would turn out to be an Evangelical?
Future VP to (hopefully not) Pence as a potus?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Sometimes I wish the rapture was real. I could do with all the religious butters leaving us to get things back on track here in the real world.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 pm

This all makes sense if the Rapture has already occurred (those left behind are not the true Christians) and Trump is the anti-Christ.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:07 am

Pompeo and The Rapture; Rev. Huckabee’s daughter as Press Secretary; DeVos and Prince; Pence; Cabinet-level Bible study.

Yup, all this scares the CRAP out of me, too.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:07 am

Meh, only relatively lately has Apocalyptic thinking dominated... a friend of mine, now an ordained Episcopalian minister, and I used to have regular discussions while he was studying the numerous texts... his opinion, more informed than my own, was that all the conditions for Revelations happened in seventy something, when Jerusalem fell.
And, that it wasn't some "mystery" text, but an oblique commentary about what was happening then (like Gullivers Travels, I guess).
That was a common if not predominate belief for most in Christianity who put any thought to it at all.
But,this thinking is now strong and has groups like Quiverfull, who believe their best function is to have as many children as possible for the soon coming Apocalypse... My second ex wife had had some health issues and her mother was one of those bunch and convinced her to pass custody of her 2 and 5 year old children to make sure they had insurance. When she had recovered, her mother was home schooling the kids and refused to return them as they were to be instruments of God.
That's about the time I got on the scene and part of why we married to quickly and stupidly was to have better odds in court.
Well, those were some crazy peeps and the longed for nuclear war and the End of Days...
not who I would want negotiating peace.
The Mercury Project

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:33 am

Yep, when looking at Revelations in the context of the times, it was about the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans. Many of the terms used were words used as code to describe the emperor and Rome during that era.

However, I differ with regards to when apocalyptic thinking began. In the early to mid 1800's in the US there was a rise in cults/religious sects with emphasis on the End Times. Millerites/SDA, Jehovah Witnesses, LDS, and others including some branches of more mainstream Protestantism.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 am

Catholicism has always taught (as far as I know) that revelations was mostly about the fall of Jerusalem and Rome. There was a Millennium Fervour around 1000 AD, but when that failed the Church basically defaulted to saying you should not try and predict the end, as to try is the Sin of Pride.

If I was in state or whatever I'd stick up a picture of Pope Francis. Its like a Cross to a Vampire for Evangelicals. So they would get out of my face.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am

maydijo wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 pm
Sometimes I wish the rapture was real. I could do with all the religious butters leaving us to get things back on track here in the real world.
Behold, we shall know the rapture has come when, in the twinkling of an eye, all the sticks up their collective asses have come clattering down to earth. Can I Get a Witness ???

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:55 am

:rotflmao:
Just had a Blues Brothers mental gif/glyph.
Yes, when I said "relatively recently" re Apocalyptic Doctrine, I meant mid to late1800s.
And, to my knowledge, it was kind of a predominantly American event.
whether it was hucksters ( I should tread carefully here, but some of the founders of these splinter groups were kind of sketch) or fertile ground for Alternative Salvation... there is something in the American identity ripe for these mental shenanigans.
Jim Jones, Heavens Gate, Ditto-Heads, Flat Earthers, Truthers, SovCits, etc.
Chicken Poop for the Soul...
dunno... feels like as a species we have reached our limit.
The Mercury Project

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm

GlimDropper wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 am
maydijo wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:47 pm
Behold, we shall know the rapture has come when, in the twinkling of an eye, all the sticks up their collective asses have come clattering down to earth. Can I Get a Witness ???
Love your visual and audial! :thumbs:
But, but, only the TRUE Christians will be raptured. Anyone with a stick up his/her ass will be.....dum, dum, dum, LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:59 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Love your visual and audial! :thumbs:
But, but, only the TRUE Christians will be raptured. Anyone with a stick up his/her ass will be.....dum, dum, dum, LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!
I'm just trying to be careful. I remember how much flak Paul Krassner took when he exposed the fact that UFOs don't exist and that all the alleged photos of flying saucers are really just diaphragms dropped by nuns on their way to heaven.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Will there be a raffle for all those stranded government vehicles (I hope they remember to leave the keys on their way out from this planet) ?

TollandRCR

Re: Secretary of State Mike Pompeon

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 pm

Isn't there a numerical limit to those who shall be raptured? This is important if the raptured include the living and the dead.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:20 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 pm
Isn't there a numerical limit to those who shall be raptured? This is important if the raptured include the living and the dead.
I continue to maintain that the raputre has already happened. All those taken were refugees or urban homeless, and their absence has gone unnoticed by our uncaring and unraptured society.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm

It would be a better world if a Rapture were to occur. It would also be a better world if the Marfa Lights were real.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

bob

Post by bob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Confirmed 57-42.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:16 pm
Confirmed 57-42.
Sen. Doug Jones, D-Ala., who joined the Senate earlier this year, also supported his confirmation.
:sick:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:41 pm
bob wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:16 pm
Confirmed 57-42.
Sen. Doug Jones, D-Ala., who joined the Senate earlier this year, also supported his confirmation.
:sick:
:sick: :sick:

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”