William Barr, AG

Volkonski

Re: William Barr, AG

Post by Volkonski » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:00 am

Justice Department hasn’t interviewed key Russia probe witnesses
The DOJ’s investigation into the origins of the Russia probe seems to be focusing on the intelligence community’s links with foreign sources.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/0 ... obe-028545
But in the five months since Attorney General Bill Barr tapped Durham to investigate the origins of the Russia probe, and whether any inappropriate “spying” occurred on members of the Trump campaign, he has not requested interviews with any of the FBI or DOJ employees who were directly involved in, or knew about, the opening of the Russia investigation in 2016, according to people familiar with the matter,

The omission raises questions about what, exactly, Durham—alongside Attorney General Bill Barr—has been investigating.

:snippity:

Combined with reports that Barr has traveled with Durham internationally seeking evidence from the U.S.’s closest intelligence allies, Durham’s apparent lack of interest in the FBI at this point suggests that he and Barr are focusing on examining the intelligence community’s role in the Russia probe—and, in accordance with Trump’s desires, looking at whether the help provided by U.S. allies in the Russia probe, including the U.K., Italy, Australia and Ukraine, may itself have constituted foreign interference.

Former attorney general Michael Mukasey, whose son Marc represents the Trump Organization and is a longtime confidant of Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, recently speculated in a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed that Durham may be trying to determine whether “Federal Bureau of Investigation tried to get evidence from Ukrainian government officials against Mr. Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, to pressure him into cooperating against Mr. Trump.” Mukasey also noted that, according to a recent Justice Department statement, “certain Ukrainians who are not members of the government have volunteered information to Mr. Durham, which he is evaluating.”

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews
Trump aims to whitewash Russia's election interference, and instead blame our friends & allies (including Ukraine) & "the deep state." Trump is remarkably consistent in his desire to cozy up to Russia, alienate our allies and discredit our intel community.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am

Unless Trump pretty much grants a blanket amnesty to everyone who's worked in his administration, Barr is going to get indicted after he leaves office. Indeed, there is a long line of officials who will be indicted, including Mike Pence.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:32 pm

:?: I am wondering if all this intensity in investigating the 2016 campaign alleged hijinks by Ukraine is because maybe Durham's investigation of the investigation is cooling down and maybe not finding much in the way of smoking guns?

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
Unless Trump pretty much grants a blanket amnesty to everyone who's worked in his administration, Barr is going to get indicted after he leaves office. Indeed, there is a long line of officials who will be indicted, including Mike Pence.
I'd be willing to bet that the Democrats will let them off the hook just like Obama let GW's torturers off the hook. :cussing: :smokeears:

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:00 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:44 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm
This is a must - read!

William Barr’s 4-country effort to discredit the Trump-Russia inquiry, explained

The conspiracy theories linking Italy, Australia, the UK, and Ukraine.

By Matthew Yglesias on October 1, 2019 3:30 pm
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEE ... id=US%3Aen
direct link is: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... stralia-uk

The last paragraph
Barr’s discussions about this with foreign heads of state and cabinet ministers is somewhere between silly and a waste of time. But his eagerness to personally involve himself in a politically sensitive investigation in this way represents a bigger breach of norms and principles that — especially in combination with things like Trump’s vocal demands to have his critics in congress arrested — is rather more alarming.
I was wondering if Barr was doing this just to show off to dotus that he is doing something about something or other. Plus enjoying his last international business trip. Plus getting out of Washington D.C. nastiness for a couple of days. As AG he must know that he cannot "investigate" anything outside of the US. He must know that any substantial request for an investigation must be passed thru official channels according to various treaties. I guess he will have a nice reception, and then handed off like a hot potatoe, making the rounds with no one confirming or denying whatever he asks for. He will have contacts in the respective judical departments, but they will not be connecting him to the secret services who may have a deep state story to tell.
I disagree. Barr is doing this because he is a fucking corrupt, all-in trumpanzee who is eager to do anything necessary to boost trump, including fucking the US.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
I'd be willing to bet that the Democrats will let them off the hook just like Obama let GW's torturers off the hook. :cussing: :smokeears:
If Biden is elected, yes. If Warren, no getting off the hook. She will have their heads on pikes outside the White House. NADT.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:01 pm

:yeah:

This is why I want Warren - Harris. Liz can set Harris on these scoundrels.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 pm

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am

I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:23 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
I'd like to know why he let Rudy's buddies be arrested unless it's a distraction.

And, yes, why is he doing all kinds of things unrelated to his purported job?

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:34 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Do Trump's men (and women) need legitimate reasons? He was there to complain about FOX on behalf of his master.

The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:58 am

Nice that he said it aloud anyway. So anybody still in denial can get a glimpse at how the American Taliban thinks about, y'know, the First Amendment, education, the lessons of history, and oh, modern civilization.

Attorney General Bill Barr: "This is not decay. This is organized destruction. Secularists and their allies have marshaled all the forces of mass communication, popular culture, the entertainment industry, and academia in an unremitting assault on religion & traditional values."

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am

fierceredpanda wrote:
Legitimate reason, LOL. Given recent developments, probably telling Rupert to get his boy in line and clean house at Faux News.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Legitimate reason, LOL. Given recent developments, probably telling Rupert to get his boy in line and clean house at Faux News.
With Shep Smith's departure, that appears to be exactly what's happening.

Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The OSG is clearly on the wrong side of history, and I hope that Fox News doesn't escape paying the price for their crimes against humanity. Tieing themselves more strongly to the OSG means they're more likely to sink with him.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Somerset wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
With Shep Smith's departure, that appears to be exactly what's happening.

Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The OSG is clearly on the wrong side of history, and I hope that Fox News doesn't escape paying the price for their crimes against humanity. Tieing themselves more strongly to the OSG means they're more likely to sink with him.
We read earlier that Paul Ryan (now on their board) was trying to get Fox to break with trump before it's too late. If Ryan leaves, we'll have our answer.

ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Law & Crime
Calls for AG Barr’s Impeachment Intensify After ‘Lunatic Authoritarian’ Federalist Society Speech

Attorney General Bill Barr launched into an emotional tirade against “the left” at an annual meeting of the conservative Federalist Society on Friday evening. Now, lawyers and legal commentators are intensifying calls for Barr’s impeachment.

Barr’s eyebrow-raising speech was widely-panned after a video of the following portion made the rounds on social media:
Unfortunately through the past few years we have seen these conflicts take on an entirely new character. Immediately after President Trump won election, opponents inaugurated what they called ‘The Resistance’ and they rallied around an explicit strategy of using every tool and maneuver to sabotage the functioning of the executive branch and his administration. The fact of the matter is: that in waging a scorched earth, no holds-barred war of resistance against this administration, it is the left that is engaged in the systemic shredding of norms and undermining the rule of law.
The Federalist Society is a judicial activism group which pushes for an “originalist” understanding of the U.S. Constitution and a return to pre-New Deal interpretations of law. The organization has been heavily involved in staffing President Donald Trump‘s judicial picks–essentially serving as a pipeline for conservative federal judges.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:22 pm

Who knew free speech was so dangerous?

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Marcy Wheeler has a piece on Barr. Although Ms. Wheeler is a consummate researcher and analyst, for which I hold her in high esteem, often her writing style gets in the way of her usually spot-on observations and conclusions. The Barr article, though, is an easy read.

BILL BARR’S SCREED: BLINDNESS ABOUT CURRENT THREATS

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/11/16/b ... t-threats/

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Wanted to save this tweet, should be fun.
Bradford Barr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Photo: Merry Christmas from the titular Mama June. Santa (aka Sugar Bear) and her lovely family!
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Impeachment,by definition,overturns elections (if convicted). Is that too complex for Trumpeteers?

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

tek

Post by tek » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:30 pm

History wasn't going to be kind to Barr before he signed up with Team Trump ..

There's no way back
from there to here

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:36 am

Over the years we've had some thoroughly incompetent AG's, some incredibly mediocre ones, some who were downright dishonest outside of their offices, and now we've had one who was not only incompetent beyond expectations but thoroughly dishonest while in office, and now one who has violated every oath he ever took, is solidly partisan, and is incredibly venial in general, and doing everything he can to help undermine representative gov't and rule of law, he one of the worst of the lot since he does know the difference between right and wrong and should know what he is doing is wrong. No, I do not think history will treat Billy Barr nicely, and I am just hoping that kharma comes calling much sooner rather than later.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm

I've gone back and reread Barr's remarks to the Federalist Society, an organization I more and more believe to be borderline-seditious and a clear and present danger to constitutional democracy. I really can't overstate how appalling Barr's speech is. The man is a menace.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:18 pm

:like:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm
I've gone back and reread Barr's remarks to the Federalist Society, an organization I more and more believe to be borderline-seditious and a clear and present danger to constitutional democracy. I really can't overstate how appalling Barr's speech is. The man is a menace.

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”