William Barr, AG

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 28812
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: William Barr, AG

#51

Post by Volkonski »

Justice Department hasn’t interviewed key Russia probe witnesses
The DOJ’s investigation into the origins of the Russia probe seems to be focusing on the intelligence community’s links with foreign sources.


https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/0 ... obe-028545
But in the five months since Attorney General Bill Barr tapped Durham to investigate the origins of the Russia probe, and whether any inappropriate “spying” occurred on members of the Trump campaign, he has not requested interviews with any of the FBI or DOJ employees who were directly involved in, or knew about, the opening of the Russia investigation in 2016, according to people familiar with the matter,

The omission raises questions about what, exactly, Durham—alongside Attorney General Bill Barr—has been investigating.

:snippity:

Combined with reports that Barr has traveled with Durham internationally seeking evidence from the U.S.’s closest intelligence allies, Durham’s apparent lack of interest in the FBI at this point suggests that he and Barr are focusing on examining the intelligence community’s role in the Russia probe—and, in accordance with Trump’s desires, looking at whether the help provided by U.S. allies in the Russia probe, including the U.K., Italy, Australia and Ukraine, may itself have constituted foreign interference.

Former attorney general Michael Mukasey, whose son Marc represents the Trump Organization and is a longtime confidant of Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, recently speculated in a recent Wall Street Journal op-ed that Durham may be trying to determine whether “Federal Bureau of Investigation tried to get evidence from Ukrainian government officials against Mr. Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, to pressure him into cooperating against Mr. Trump.” Mukasey also noted that, according to a recent Justice Department statement, “certain Ukrainians who are not members of the government have volunteered information to Mr. Durham, which he is evaluating.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 28812
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: William Barr, AG

#52

Post by Volkonski »

Julia Davis
@JuliaDavisNews
Trump aims to whitewash Russia's election interference, and instead blame our friends & allies (including Ukraine) & "the deep state." Trump is remarkably consistent in his desire to cozy up to Russia, alienate our allies and discredit our intel community.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 46707
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: William Barr, AG

#53

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Unless Trump pretty much grants a blanket amnesty to everyone who's worked in his administration, Barr is going to get indicted after he leaves office. Indeed, there is a long line of officials who will be indicted, including Mike Pence.

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 16674
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#54

Post by Kendra »

:?: I am wondering if all this intensity in investigating the 2016 campaign alleged hijinks by Ukraine is because maybe Durham's investigation of the investigation is cooling down and maybe not finding much in the way of smoking guns?

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3793
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: William Barr, AG

#55

Post by Dan1100 »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
Unless Trump pretty much grants a blanket amnesty to everyone who's worked in his administration, Barr is going to get indicted after he leaves office. Indeed, there is a long line of officials who will be indicted, including Mike Pence.
I'd be willing to bet that the Democrats will let them off the hook just like Obama let GW's torturers off the hook. :cussing: :smokeears:

User avatar
woodworker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: William Barr, AG

#56

Post by woodworker »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:44 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm
This is a must - read!

William Barr’s 4-country effort to discredit the Trump-Russia inquiry, explained

The conspiracy theories linking Italy, Australia, the UK, and Ukraine.

By Matthew Yglesias on October 1, 2019 3:30 pm
https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEE ... id=US%3Aen
direct link is: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... stralia-uk

The last paragraph
Barr’s discussions about this with foreign heads of state and cabinet ministers is somewhere between silly and a waste of time. But his eagerness to personally involve himself in a politically sensitive investigation in this way represents a bigger breach of norms and principles that — especially in combination with things like Trump’s vocal demands to have his critics in congress arrested — is rather more alarming.
I was wondering if Barr was doing this just to show off to dotus that he is doing something about something or other. Plus enjoying his last international business trip. Plus getting out of Washington D.C. nastiness for a couple of days. As AG he must know that he cannot "investigate" anything outside of the US. He must know that any substantial request for an investigation must be passed thru official channels according to various treaties. I guess he will have a nice reception, and then handed off like a hot potatoe, making the rounds with no one confirming or denying whatever he asks for. He will have contacts in the respective judical departments, but they will not be connecting him to the secret services who may have a deep state story to tell.
I disagree. Barr is doing this because he is a fucking corrupt, all-in trumpanzee who is eager to do anything necessary to boost trump, including fucking the US.
bring out the tumbrils -- lots of them.

User avatar
woodworker
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Re: William Barr, AG

#57

Post by woodworker »

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:44 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
Unless Trump pretty much grants a blanket amnesty to everyone who's worked in his administration, Barr is going to get indicted after he leaves office. Indeed, there is a long line of officials who will be indicted, including Mike Pence.
I'd be willing to bet that the Democrats will let them off the hook just like Obama let GW's torturers off the hook. :cussing: :smokeears:
If Biden is elected, yes. If Warren, no getting off the hook. She will have their heads on pikes outside the White House. NADT.
bring out the tumbrils -- lots of them.

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#58

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:

This is why I want Warren - Harris. Liz can set Harris on these scoundrels.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 28812
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: William Barr, AG

#59

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
fierceredpanda
Posts: 2870
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 pm
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: William Barr, AG

#60

Post by fierceredpanda »

I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton


User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 8764
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#61

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
I'd like to know why he let Rudy's buddies be arrested unless it's a distraction.

And, yes, why is he doing all kinds of things unrelated to his purported job?

User avatar
Hurtzi
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#62

Post by Hurtzi »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
Do Trump's men (and women) need legitimate reasons? He was there to complain about FOX on behalf of his master.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#63

Post by p0rtia »

Nice that he said it aloud anyway. So anybody still in denial can get a glimpse at how the American Taliban thinks about, y'know, the First Amendment, education, the lessons of history, and oh, modern civilization.


Attorney General Bill Barr: "This is not decay. This is organized destruction. Secularists and their allies have marshaled all the forces of mass communication, popular culture, the entertainment industry, and academia in an unremitting assault on religion & traditional values."
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 8764
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#64

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
Legitimate reason, LOL. Given recent developments, probably telling Rupert to get his boy in line and clean house at Faux News.

Somerset
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:52 am
Location: Silicon Valley
Occupation: Lab rat

Re: William Barr, AG

#65

Post by Somerset »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
Legitimate reason, LOL. Given recent developments, probably telling Rupert to get his boy in line and clean house at Faux News.
With Shep Smith's departure, that appears to be exactly what's happening.

Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The OSG is clearly on the wrong side of history, and I hope that Fox News doesn't escape paying the price for their crimes against humanity. Tieing themselves more strongly to the OSG means they're more likely to sink with him.

User avatar
Slim Cognito
Posts: 8392
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#66

Post by Slim Cognito »

Somerset wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 am
fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 am
I would really like to hear an explanation for why Barr met with Rupert Murdoch yesterday. I can't think of one single legitimate reason for the AG to meet privately with a foreign media mogul.
Legitimate reason, LOL. Given recent developments, probably telling Rupert to get his boy in line and clean house at Faux News.
With Shep Smith's departure, that appears to be exactly what's happening.

Ultimately, I think this is a good thing. The OSG is clearly on the wrong side of history, and I hope that Fox News doesn't escape paying the price for their crimes against humanity. Tieing themselves more strongly to the OSG means they're more likely to sink with him.
We read earlier that Paul Ryan (now on their board) was trying to get Fox to break with trump before it's too late. If Ryan leaves, we'll have our answer.
ImageImageImage x4

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 41218
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: William Barr, AG

#67

Post by Addie »

Law & Crime
Calls for AG Barr’s Impeachment Intensify After ‘Lunatic Authoritarian’ Federalist Society Speech

Attorney General Bill Barr launched into an emotional tirade against “the left” at an annual meeting of the conservative Federalist Society on Friday evening. Now, lawyers and legal commentators are intensifying calls for Barr’s impeachment.

Barr’s eyebrow-raising speech was widely-panned after a video of the following portion made the rounds on social media:
Unfortunately through the past few years we have seen these conflicts take on an entirely new character. Immediately after President Trump won election, opponents inaugurated what they called ‘The Resistance’ and they rallied around an explicit strategy of using every tool and maneuver to sabotage the functioning of the executive branch and his administration. The fact of the matter is: that in waging a scorched earth, no holds-barred war of resistance against this administration, it is the left that is engaged in the systemic shredding of norms and undermining the rule of law.
The Federalist Society is a judicial activism group which pushes for an “originalist” understanding of the U.S. Constitution and a return to pre-New Deal interpretations of law. The organization has been heavily involved in staffing President Donald Trump‘s judicial picks–essentially serving as a pipeline for conservative federal judges.

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 8764
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#68

Post by pipistrelle »

Who knew free speech was so dangerous?

User avatar
NMgirl
Posts: 4637
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:02 am

Re: William Barr, AG

#69

Post by NMgirl »

Marcy Wheeler has a piece on Barr. Although Ms. Wheeler is a consummate researcher and analyst, for which I hold her in high esteem, often her writing style gets in the way of her usually spot-on observations and conclusions. The Barr article, though, is an easy read.

BILL BARR’S SCREED: BLINDNESS ABOUT CURRENT THREATS

https://www.emptywheel.net/2019/11/16/b ... t-threats/

User avatar
Orlylicious
Posts: 11994
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:02 pm
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick
Contact:

Re: William Barr, AG

#70

Post by Orlylicious »

Wanted to save this tweet, should be fun.
Bradford Barr.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6/12/20 Urine Drug Screening Tonight! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

TexasFilly
Posts: 20514
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: William Barr, AG

#71

Post by TexasFilly »

Impeachment,by definition,overturns elections (if convicted). Is that too complex for Trumpeteers?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

User avatar
tek
Posts: 4431
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Lake Humidity, FL
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: William Barr, AG

#72

Post by tek »

History wasn't going to be kind to Barr before he signed up with Team Trump ..
There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 13935
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: William Barr, AG

#73

Post by Notorial Dissent »

Over the years we've had some thoroughly incompetent AG's, some incredibly mediocre ones, some who were downright dishonest outside of their offices, and now we've had one who was not only incompetent beyond expectations but thoroughly dishonest while in office, and now one who has violated every oath he ever took, is solidly partisan, and is incredibly venial in general, and doing everything he can to help undermine representative gov't and rule of law, he one of the worst of the lot since he does know the difference between right and wrong and should know what he is doing is wrong. No, I do not think history will treat Billy Barr nicely, and I am just hoping that kharma comes calling much sooner rather than later.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
fierceredpanda
Posts: 2870
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:04 pm
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: William Barr, AG

#74

Post by fierceredpanda »

I've gone back and reread Barr's remarks to the Federalist Society, an organization I more and more believe to be borderline-seditious and a clear and present danger to constitutional democracy. I really can't overstate how appalling Barr's speech is. The man is a menace.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton


User avatar
Addie
Posts: 41218
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: William Barr, AG

#75

Post by Addie »

:like:
fierceredpanda wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm
I've gone back and reread Barr's remarks to the Federalist Society, an organization I more and more believe to be borderline-seditious and a clear and present danger to constitutional democracy. I really can't overstate how appalling Barr's speech is. The man is a menace.

Post Reply

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”