John Robert Bolton, National (In)Security Advisor - Show Started 4/9/18 - Ended in Disgrace 9/10/19

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

John Robert Bolton, National (In)Security Advisor - Show Started 4/9/18 - Ended in Disgrace 9/10/19

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Just when you think it can't get worse.

Born: November 20, 1948 (age 69), Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Former Bush official says John Bolton was 'by far the most dangerous man we had in the entire eight years'
Ben Brimelow
Mar. 16, 2018, 5:50 PM

A former member of the George W. Bush administration has called John Bolton, the former US Ambassador to the UN and rumored replacement for National Security Advisor H. R. McMaster, a "dangerous man."
Richard Painter said that Bolton's potential appointment to security advisor role was "an invitation to to war, perhaps nuclear war" and "must be stopped at all costs."
Bolton is known for his hawkish views on the Iraq War and on Iran.

Richard Painter, the former chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, blasted the prospect of former US Ambassador to the UN John Bolton replacing General H. R. McMaster as President Donald Trump's National Security Advisor.

"John Bolton was by far the most dangerous man we had in the entire eight years of the Bush Administration," Painter tweeted on Friday. "Hiring him as the president's top national security advisor is an invitation to war, perhaps nuclear war."

Painter ended his post with a blunt and stark sentence: "this must be stopped at all costs." He also linked to an article in the Atlantic titled "Hiring John Bolton Would Be a Betrayal of Donald Trump's Base."
http://www.businessinsider.com/richard- ... ion-2018-3

Bolton.JPG

Sanders Bolton.JPG

Of course John Bolton's Superpac used Cambridge Analytica.
John Bolton — eyed for Trump post — leads super PAC that employed Cambridge Analytica
Embattled data firm earned more than $1.1 million from Bolton’s political operation
By Carrie Levine 3:41 pm, March 20, 2018 Updated: 4 hours, 39 minutes ago

Bolton Superpac.JPG

Of course he's on Twitter.

John Bolton Verified account @AmbJohnBolton ‏
Former US Ambassador to the UN. @AEI Senior Fellow. @FoxNews Contributor. Chairman of John Bolton PAC, SuperPAC, and Foundation for American Securit…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Kendra

Re: John Robert Bolton, Terrifying National (In)Security Advisor

Post by Kendra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:36 pm

I will have to read up on him.

:?: :?:

I guess he doesn't need a confirmation hearing, but is there a security clearance needed and is there a problem with him not obtaining it? Asking for an ignorant friend...

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:37 pm

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/22/59589741 ... ghts-video
Incoming White House national security adviser John Bolton recorded a video used by the Russian gun rights group The Right to Bear Arms in 2013 to encourage the Russian government to loosen gun laws.

The episode, which has not been previously reported, illustrates the common cause that Russian and American gun rights groups were forming in the years leading up to the 2016 election through former National Rifle Association president David Keene. Keene appointed Bolton to the NRA's international affairs subcommittee in 2011.

Russian politician Alexander Torshin helped establish The Right to Bear Arms and cultivate ties with American gun rights groups including the NRA. As a Putin ally, Torshin served as the deputy speaker of Russia's parliament for more than a decade, and also spent time on Russia's National Anti-Terrorism Committee, a state body that includes the director of Russia's internal security service.

The Bolton video appears to be another plank in a bridge built by Russia to conservative political organizations inside the United States. It's unclear why Russian leaders wanted to curry favor with the NRA, but Torshin and Keene appeared to have developed close ties over in the years prior to the 2016 election.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Apart from that, how was the play Mrs Lincoln? Yeah it's a disaster. I'm hoping that Bolton at 69 will amount to even more of a useless lump he was at 53, at the beginning of W's administration. My hope is that having a war is too much work for a 69 year old nitwit and a 70 year old for whom work is a four letter word. God I hope I'm right.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:36 pm
I will have to read up on him.
He was an outspoken member of Dubya's gang, and the most hawkish. he was famous for getting into verbal fights with diplomats and insulting everyone. When W wanted to make him UN Ambassador, the Democrats blocked him, then pulled the "keep the senate open all though the holidays" trick for the first time to prevent a recess appointment. When W still appointed him as a temporary Ambassador, he was utterly disastrous, and not even the idiots online could make any case why W should make him a permanent Ambassador ( which W didn't try and do.) He was a liar without shame and still insists that WMDs were found in Iraq. He does basically does not care what America does as long as it bombs someone.

I only have vauge memories of him on TV but he was utterly and shockingly unpleasant in an era of shockingly unpleasent people in American politics at the time. The only bright light that I can see is that Bolton will not take kindly to being second fiddle to the Trump show and will suck up attention to himself, and the mortal sin anyone can do is displace Trump from his place on the TV screen. He also is argumentative and will probably try to shout Trump down at some point. So it may not last long.

Trump probably appointed him because everyone told him he shouldn't.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Thank you for the recap.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Suranis wrote:
Trump probably appointed him because everyone told him he shouldn't.
That may just be true. A cornered hyena will use any tactic to defend itself.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Now, now. The bridge might be out, and the engineer might be drunk, and the conductor might be asleep, but we don't actually know that there's going to be a train wreck, do we?
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RTH10260

Re: John Bolton

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Bolton: ‘Completely unacceptable’ for ‘munchkin’ in White House to leak info
BY BRETT SAMUELS - 03/22/18 09:20 PM EDT

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton, President Trump’s pick to be his new national security adviser, on Thursday night condemned leaks from the White House as “completely unacceptable.”

During an appearance on Fox News, Bolton referencing a Washington Post report that Trump’s national security team informed him not to congratulate Russian President Vladimir Putin during a phone call earlier in the week.

The Post report, which said that advisers in briefing materials warned the president in all-capital letters "DO NOT CONGRATULATE," came after Trump told reporters he congratulated Putin on his reelection. The leak reportedly infuriated Trump and his chief of staff John Kelly.

"When I read about the leak of the note and the subject, I was outraged by it,” Bolton said Thursday evening on Fox News.

“You cannot conduct diplomacy, you cannot expect other foreign leaders to be candid and open in their conversations with the president if some munchkin in the executive branch decides they’re going to leak the talking points or the transcript or any other aspect of it,” Bolton continued.

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/ ... -leak-info

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Re: John Bolton

Post by fierceredpanda » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Remember when Donald Trump railed against "stupid wars?" Pepperidge Farm remembers.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Kirstin Powers just pointed out John Bolton wrote the forward to Pamela Geller's book.
Trump names John Bolton National Security Adviser, H. R. McMaster is out
By Pamela Geller - on March 22, 2018

This is the best news I’ve heard since Trump’s Jerusalem announcement. He will be well served by this great statesman. I am a longtime Bolton supporter. He wrote the foreword to my first book,The Post American Presidency: The Obama Adminsitration’s war on America.

He is brilliant, tough, principled, a great fighter for freedom, here and abroad.

Good riddance to H. R. McMaster.

From her book The Post-American Presidency: The Obama Administration's War on America – March 2, 2013

Bolton Geller.JPG

Bolton Geller 2.JPG

Bolton Geller 3.JPG

Bolton Geller 4.JPG

2006 MSNBC story, John Bolton was booed when he arrived on the job.

The Economist: Bolton’s tenure at the United Nations was marked by "his inability, or unwillingness, to make friends and build alliances.” The Economist noted Bolton’s lack of fitness for international diplomacy and “his inability, or unwillingness, to make friends and build alliances in an organisation where networking, compromise and consensus are the order of the day.” The Economist also quoted a “Western ambassador” who described Bolton as “a bully” and a UN senior official who said, “Bolton's main achievement has been to unify the G77 [a group of 131 developing nations plus China] and to radicalize them.” [The Economist, 12/7/06, Media Matters, 11/16/16]

Bolton has ties to anti-Muslim bigotry

Bolton has ties to anti-Muslim extremists Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer. Bolton’s ties to anti-Muslim extremists Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer have been well-documented and go as far back as 2005, when Geller endorsed Bolton as President George W. Bush’s choice for ambassador to the U.N. Geller has interviewed Bolton multiple times, and he wrote the foreword to a book Geller and Spencer penned in 2010. [ThinkProgress, 8/2/11; Southern Poverty Law Center, 10/25/16]

Bolton chairs the “anti-Muslim” Gatestone Institute. The Gatestone Institute, which calls itself a “non-partisan, not-for-profit international policy council and think tank [] dedicated to educating the public about what the mainstream media fails to report,” has been called an “anti-Muslim” think tank. It’s known for having published the debunked anti-Muslim myth that certain cities contain Muslim-dominated neighborhoods that are off limits to non-Muslims. [Lobe Log, 4/13/17; Southern Poverty Law Center, 5/26/17; Gatestone Institute, 1/20/15; Snopes.com, 3/30/15]
Lots of Bolton resources:
https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2 ... and/219655
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Suranis

Re: John Robert Bolton, National (In)Security Advisor - Show Starts 4/9/18

Post by Suranis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:17 pm

So, either Bolton or Trump decided to put the kibosh on all those "start wars" rumours. Having all these countries scared will make them make fair deals, you see. Or something. Anyway,

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -wars.html
Team Bolton: John Never Promised Trump He ‘Wouldn’t Start Any Wars’

And wouldn’t striking an unprecedented peace agreement with North Korea be more satisfying to the master deal-maker’s ego than initiating a war whose chief protagonists would be other men? Wasn’t it plausible that John Bolton would just be a glorified cable news surrogate — and Defense Secretary James Mattis, the true brains behind the administration’s foreign policy?

Alas, new reporting from Axios Friday morning appeared to eviscerate those slender reeds.
A source close to John Bolton tells me he made no promise to Trump that he "wouldn't start any wars," contrary to reports. "Not true, wasn't discussed," the source says.
— Jonathan Swan (@jonathanvswan) March 23, 2018
Sources close to President Trump say he feels John Bolton, hurriedly named last night to replace H.R. McMaster as national security adviser, will finally deliver the foreign policy the president wants — particularly on Iran and North Korea.

… Until now, Mattis and Tillerson have been trying to restrain what they consider some of the president’s more dangerous instincts, and have been on the opposite side of major issues, including moving the U.S embassy to Jerusalem and trying to persuade Trump not to tear up the Iran nuclear deal.

Sources who know Bolton expect he will stare down Mattis, tell him when he’s wrong, and will be a Henry Kissinger-type presence in the room. Now that Tillerson is gone, he could fundamentally tip the balance of power on Trump’s national security team, senior officials expect.
I assume "A source close to Bolton" means either Bolton or Trump.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... &tid=sm_fb
A super PAC created by President Trump’s new national security adviser John Bolton was one of the earliest U.S. clients of the now-embattled data company Cambridge Analytica, which targeted voters to help boost Bolton’s national security agenda, records show.

The John Bolton Super PAC, led by the former diplomat and foreign policy hard-liner, paid Cambridge Analytica more than $1.1 million in the 2014 and 2016 cycles for research, according to Federal Election Commission filings.

Part of the work the firm performed for Bolton’s super PAC was psychographic voter targeting that it claimed could profile voters based on certain characteristics. The company’s analysis was based in part on data about tens of millions of Americans gleaned from Facebook and other sources, according to documents and former Cambridge Analytica employees.
:snippity:
Bolton is allied with the wealthy Mercer family, which set up Cambridge Analytica as a U.S. spinoff of the British company SCL in partnership with conservative strategist Stephen K. Bannon, later a top Trump adviser.

Hedge fund executive Robert Mercer, who financed the data-science firm with at least $10 million, has been the largest donor to Bolton’s super PAC, giving $5 million since the 2014 cycle, according to FEC records.

Bolton’s super PAC first hired Cambridge Analytica and SCL Elections in the summer 2014 to provide microtargeting and boost the super PAC’s advocacy on national security issues, according to a copy of the signed contract Wylie provided to The Post.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Assuming he gets his security clearance, which I think the FBI will do their best to fuck him on, I don't see him lasting too long anyhow. He is an hyper-arrogant, condescending, smarter than everyone else jackass and a jerk, who will be working for the same type of person. Allegedly one of the problems that Trump had with McMaster was that McMaster talked down to him. I think Bolton will be the person who yells down to Trump telling him what Trump must do. I don't see Trump taking that for very long.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

tencats

Post by tencats » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:03 pm

'The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists that keeps that clock showing how many minutes the world is away from a nuclear midnight can put it away. With Bolton’s appointment, it is past midnight.'
Let’s call Bolton what he is, a War Criminal with Terrorist Ties, not just “Hawkish”
By Juan Cole | Mar. 23, 2018 https://www.juancole.com/2018/03/crimin ... wkish.html
The acceptable political spectrum inside the Beltway in Washington DC is a marvel to behold. Bernie Sanders, a long-serving senator and public servant won 13.2 million popular votes to 16.8 million votes for Hillary Clinton (i.e. he was backed by 43% of one of the two major parties in the country). But Sanders was virtually blacked out from corporate television coverage during his impressive presidential bid, while Jeff Zucker turned CNN over to Trump every night at 7:30 pm throughout the summer and fall of 2016 and just let him talk, or whatever he does, for an hour without even a semblance of journalistic analysis. Supposedly left-leaning MSNBC did the same thing.

America’s corporations love the fascist side of the spectrum, which is obvious from the way they promoted Trump and Trumpism. Zucker also hired Cory Lewandowski, who was at the time contractually obligated to avoid criticizing Trump, as a CNN commentator. Fascism after all favors big corporations and vilifies and punishes workers and the poor. Under Mussolini, the Italian poor were plunged into much deeper poverty.

Television news also loves the maniacal side of the spectrum. You seldom see normal people as commentators on cable news, and much of the commentary is polarized and superficial and often simply incorrect on the facts of the matter. Sometimes it is even just a criminal conspiracy. During the Iraq War, the NYT revealed that the Pentagon successfully pressed on CNN a gaggle of former generals, many of them actively making money off of the Iraq War through contracting while they were promoting it on television. They presented an Alice in Wonderland view of the brutal US occupation of that country as a shining success. Tom Fenton, a career television journalist, once wrote a book suggesting that television news is so bad that it is actually a standing risk for US security, since an uninformed or misinformed public cannot play the democratic role of watchdog and is not being alerted to genuine threats. Maybe the maniacs draw eyeballs and increase advertising dollars. Maybe Wall Street doesn’t see people as maniacs as long as they advocate giving billionaires more money.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 pm

woodworker wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Assuming he gets his security clearance, which I think the FBI will do their best to fuck him on, I don't see him lasting too long anyhow. He is an hyper-arrogant, condescending, smarter than everyone else jackass and a jerk, who will be working for the same type of person. Allegedly one of the problems that Trump had with McMaster was that McMaster talked down to him. I think Bolton will be the person who yells down to Trump telling him what Trump must do. I don't see Trump taking that for very long.
Fingers crossed. Lordy, I hope he doesn't get a clearance.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 pm

I just don't see the FBI going out of their way to help Trump on anything.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Ben-Prime
Occupation: I am as of September 2018 a humble political servant.

Post by Ben-Prime » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:33 pm
woodworker wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Fingers crossed. Lordy, I hope he doesn't get a clearance.
Wouldn't El Jefe Naranjo be able to give him a clearance if he wishes to do so? I mean, sure, he hasn't yet crossed that line, but if he's being pushed with his back to the wall as folks suspect, there's no bar to him saying "He gets a clearance, he gets a clearance, EVERYBODY gets a clearance!" He'd just have to issue some kind of executive order, right? Or am I misinformed on the whole nature of the Security Clearance system?
"With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me, it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable." - Sir Alec Guinness, as Prince Feisal, Lawrence of Arabia

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 am

More knowledge to get lost
John Bolton plans to fire dozens of White House officials: report
BY AVERY ANAPOL - 03/24/18 07:56 AM EDT

President Trump’s new national security adviser is reportedly planning major staffing changes at the National Security Council.

Sources close to the situation told Foreign Policy that John Bolton is preparing to “clean house” and remove nearly all of the political appointees brought in by his predecessor.

“Bolton can and will clean house,” one former White House official told Foreign Policy.

Another former official said any National Security Council officials appointed under former President Obama “should start packing their shit.”

Foreign Policy reported that Bolton is planning to remove dozens of current officials, with a focus on those who have been “disloyal” to the president.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... als-report

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:01 pm

Elise Jordan

@Elise_Jordan
George Will says all there really is to say about John Bolton, and what it means to have Bolton as NSA "Speaking of delusions, one died last week — the belief that this president could be safely cocooned within layers of adult supervision." washingtonpost.com
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

bob

Post by bob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 am

Does anyone know what was Bolton's security clearance when he worked in the GWB administration? And whether he maintained it since?
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 pm

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/ ... sia-483912
Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine on Sunday questioned whether former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, President Donald Trump’s newly chosen national security adviser, could get a security clearance.

“I wonder about that,” Kaine said on CNN’s “State of the Union,” pointing to Bolton’s 2013 appearance in a video recorded for a Russian gun rights group backed by an oligarch and ally of Russian president Vladmir Putin.

“These kinds of contacts with foreign governments … raise real question in my mind as to whether he can get a full security clearance or not.

Kaine described it as “speech” Bolton gave in Russia, but NPR reported it was a video Bolton recorded at the request of NRA President David Keene for the national conference of The Right To Bear Arms, which is backed by Alexander Torshin, a close ally of Putin‘s.

In the video, Bolton encourages Russian activists to push for a right to bear arms in their constitution. Bolton didn’t actually attend the conference.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:29 pm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:26 pm
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/ ... sia-483912
:snippity:
Kaine described it as “speech” Bolton gave in Russia, but NPR reported it was a video Bolton recorded at the request of NRA President David Keene for the national conference of The Right To Bear Arms, which is backed by Alexander Torshin, a close ally of Putin‘s.

In the video, Bolton encourages Russian activists to push for a right to bear arms in their constitution. Bolton didn’t actually attend the conference.
I don't think Putin considers armed citizens to be a good choice in general. But if he can form a decidated group of gun nuts into his own presidential guard at some point, who knows...

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:02 pm

I think I read somewhere in the last few days that the gun rights issue in Russia is about hunting rifles. Putin definitely does not want an armed populace.

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”