Gina Haspel, CIA Director

AndyinPA

Gina Haspel, CIA Director

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am

Well, not yet, but just a little background on Ms. Haspel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/p ... iland.html

New York Times won't let me copy. Damn.

As a clandestine officer, she oversaw the torture of two terrorism suspects and a lot more. You knew the resident wasn't going to pick someone who had a stellar reputation. She was directly involved in the Bush rendition program.

Edited to get the information indirectly into my post.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/3 ... ion-progam

She played a direct role in the C.I.A.’s “extraordinary rendition program,” under which captured militants were handed to foreign governments and held at secret facilities, where they were tortured by agency personnel.

The C.I.A.’s first overseas detention site was in Thailand. It was run by Ms. Haspel, who oversaw the brutal interrogations of two detainees, Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri.

Mr. Zubaydah alone was waterboarded 83 times in a single month, had his head repeatedly slammed into walls and endured other harsh methods before interrogators decided he had no useful information to provide.

The sessions were videotaped and the recordings stored in a safe at the C.I.A. station in Thailand until 2005, when they were ordered destroyed. By then, Ms. Haspel was serving at C.I.A. headquarters, and it was her name that was on the cable carrying the destruction orders.

TollandRCR

Re: Gina Haspell, CIA Director

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am

This is an appointment for the Democrats to deny by filibuster.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 am

Cross post from under the bus.

I am dancing this morning cuz Tom Cotton, android in a human suit, did not get CIA Director appointment after being Trump's water boy and squire! How does the Trump REJECT title feel, Tom???? I am assuming the new appointee could not possibly be worse than Tom and that Tom, who is almost as hated as Cruz in the Senate, couldn't get confirmation which would not be in Trump's decision process though.
:happyfamily:
Edit: She is worse than Tom. She has a record of sociopathic tendencies. He doesn't have a comparable record...yet.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

McCain: Trump’s CIA pick was involved in ‘one of the darkest chapters in American history’

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... Bw.twitter
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday condemned President Trump’s decision to nominate Gina Haspel to become the director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), saying she was involved in “one of darkest chapters in American history.”

While he expressed confidence in current CIA Director Mike Pompeo’s ability to serve as secretary of State, an appointment Trump announced earlier Tuesday, McCain said in a statement that Haspel needs to explain her stance on torture.

“The torture of detainees in U.S. custody during the last decade was one of the darkest chapters in American history,” McCain said. “Ms. Haspel needs to explain the nature and extent of her involvement in the CIA’s interrogation program during the confirmation process.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am
So, how would they do that? Right now, the Filibuster is only on legislation. The Obama era removed the filibuster for non-Supreme Court appointments, and the Republicans extended that to Supreme Court appointments. There is no filibuster for political appointments any more.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 pm

dunstvangeet wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:09 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 am
So, how would they do that? Right now, the Filibuster is only on legislation. The Obama era removed the filibuster for non-Supreme Court appointments, and the Republicans extended that to Supreme Court appointments. There is no filibuster for political appointments any more.
The Senate is 51 to 49. Assuming McCain is a no vote, then it is 50-50 with the Lesser Satan breaking the tie.

That means only one more Senator needs to have the moral fiber and conscience to not approve a war criminal for Director of the CIA. :pray:

(I do blame Obama for this. He should have prosecuted the lead torturers and at the very least, gently fired those who "just followed orders." )
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm

[quote=Volkonski post_id=967621 time=1520975420 user_id=266]
McCain: Trump’s CIA pick was involved in ‘one of the darkest chapters in American history’

But he'll still vote for her.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:41 pm

My biggest gripe with Obama was that he did not in any way go after the criminals in the Bush administration. I've always blamed Ford for pardoning Nixon and setting this dynamic off.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:45 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:41 pm
My biggest gripe with Obama was that he did not in any way go after the criminals in the Bush administration. I've always blamed Ford for pardoning Nixon and setting this dynamic off.
Even pardoning them would have been better than just ignoring it and basically telling everyone to try to forget about it and party on.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:47 pm

I agree that Haspel owes answers to that "dark chapter" in her confirmation hearings. I'll note that past CIA directors speak highly of her, and Sen. Feinstein had nice words as well - the same Sen. Feinstein who authored the Senate's report on post-911 torture programs. That does tend to leave me with one or a hundred questions about their judgment.

Torture of prisoners is a moral evil, and Sen. McCain is our most authoritative voice on that subject. He's right to raise the issue, and I think he is also right to delay final judgment until the issue can once again be aired in sworn Senate testimony. It's a core values issue that we need to continually bring to light, lest we get complacent about it in the future.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the confirmation process.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Just what we need: a CIA Director that can't travel freely for fear of being arrested.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/pr ... -director/
Federal prosecutors in Munich are currently reviewing a request to issue an arrest warrant for Gina Haspel, President Donald Trump‘s recently named director of the Central Intelligence Agency (“CIA”).

Haspel currently serves as the deputy director for the CIA and her nomination to head the agency must be approved by the U.S. Senate. Prior to her appointment as CIA deputy director, Haspel controversially ran a secret CIA prison in Thailand used to house, question, and allegedly torture detainees during the second Bush administration’s War on Terror.

Haspel’s tenure as “Chief of Base” at the prison–and what she did while serving in that role–is the subject of the arrest warrant request.

On June 6, 2017, the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (“ECCHR”) initiated a request for legal action against Haspel by filing an intervention with the German Federal Public Prosecutor, the foremost law enforcement authority in the Federal Republic of Germany. This office is led by Attorney General Peter Frank.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:31 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 pm
Just what we need: a CIA Director that can't travel freely for fear of being arrested.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/pr ... -director/
:snippity:
That's what Diplomatic Passes are made for. The Lady may have some trouble traveling private, especially in Europe.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I do blame Obama for this. He should have prosecuted the lead torturers and at the very least, gently fired those who "just followed orders." )
Dan1100, I wish he’d gone against everything and everyone who counseled him about ‘how it’s done’, too.

Reagan, the Bushes but not Clinton - their bad deeds were not punished because :panic: OMG AMERICANS CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH, IT WILL DESTROY OUR DEMOCRACY :panic: A blow job is about as much as they can take. DO NOT make them think about traitors.

This has not gone unnoticed by the current psychos in office. ‘Hey, we can shoot someone on 5th Avenue...and nothing will happen to us! Cool! BANG!

I do believe Obama tried, quietly. He was pushing two giant boulders up Mt. Everest at the time, with the Republicans following closely behind him with long knives, and may have decided that saving the republic was the higher priority. He never got another chance.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Tiredretiredlawyer

Re: Gina Haspel, CIA Director

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... story.html?
I went to prison for disclosing the CIA’s torture. Gina Haspel helped cover it up.
By John Kiriakou
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 pm

If Rand Paul can get one more GOP Senator with him, that will sink the nomination. If he is more concerned about Haspel than Pompeo, he might find it advantageous to agree to vote for Pompeo if that means another Republican will vote against Haspel.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun May 06, 2018 3:08 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 2d4b9d8278
Gina Haspel, President Trump’s nominee to become the next CIA director, sought to withdraw her nomination Friday after some White House officials worried that her role in the interrogation of terrorist suspects could prevent her confirmation by the Senate, according to four senior U.S. officials.

Haspel told the White House she was interested in stepping aside if it avoided the spectacle of a brutal confirmation hearing on Wednesday and potential damage to the CIA’s reputation and her own, the officials said. She was summoned to the White House on Friday for a meeting on her history in the CIA’s controversial interrogation program — which employed techniques such as waterboarding that are widely seen as torture — and signaled that she was going to withdraw her nomination. She then returned to CIA headquarters, the officials said.

Taken aback at her stance, senior White House aides, including legislative affairs head Marc Short and press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, rushed to Langley, Va., to meet with Haspel at her office late Friday afternoon. Discussions stretched several hours, officials said, and the White House was not entirely sure she would stick with her nomination until Saturday afternoon, according to the officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 pm

So if the White House offers its full logistic and political support, will Haspel pull her name then? We are talking about the Kiss 'O Death.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun May 06, 2018 5:01 pm

I wish she would persist in her intention to withdraw. We need to send an unambiguous message that what she did ruins careers.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri May 11, 2018 2:21 am

Haspel has stirred the undead.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said the U.S. should restart its enhanced interrogation techniques. “I think the techniques we used were not torture,“ he said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... ion-579910
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 am

Lani wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:21 am
Haspel has stirred the undead.
Former Vice President Dick Cheney said the U.S. should restart its enhanced interrogation techniques. “I think the techniques we used were not torture,“ he said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... ion-579910
If the techniques they used are so benign, then they should be used on Ms. Haspel when she appears in the Senate for a confirmation hearing.

And on Donald Trump when he is interviewed by Robert Mueller.

But before then, Cheney should be used as the subject in a televised demonstration, on a pay-per-view channel.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 pm

So I watched a good bit of the Haspel hearing, and also heard a lot of pundits saying she was quite good, and came across as honest, and that she stated that she regretted her previous involvement with torture.

I thought she was awful. I thought she came across as arrogant (in the "I am so far superior to you peons that you couldn't comprehend my purity and complexity" way) and that she avoided directly answering questions every. single. time. Her response to "what would you do if fuckhead asked you to reinstate torture?" was "I'm sure he'd never do that" and "historically the CIA has not been involved with torture." Eventually she got around to saying she wouldn't do it under any circumstances, but there was so much ballet going on I couldn't swear that she didn't leave a loophole.

When asked point blank by Kamela Harris if she thought that torture was morally reprehensible, she could not answer.

I got the impression that the first time somebody like Dick Cheney said, "We gotta do it for our country" she's jump back in feet first.

Anybody out there to talk me down? Is this, like Spook Speak or something, and I missed the nuance?

:cantlook:

My take-awasy
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am

p0rtia wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:19 pm
So I watched a good bit of the Haspel hearing, and also heard a lot of pundits saying she was quite good, and came across as honest, and that she stated that she regretted her previous involvement with torture.

I thought she was awful. I thought she came across as arrogant (in the "I am so far superior to you peons that you couldn't comprehend my purity and complexity" way) and that she avoided directly answering questions every. single. time. Her response to "what would you do if fuckhead asked you to reinstate torture?" was "I'm sure he'd never do that" and "historically the CIA has not been involved with torture." Eventually she got around to saying she wouldn't do it under any circumstances, but there was so much ballet going on I couldn't swear that she didn't leave a loophole.

When asked point blank by Kamela Harris if she thought that torture was morally reprehensible, she could not answer.

I got the impression that the first time somebody like Dick Cheney said, "We gotta do it for our country" she's jump back in feet first.

Anybody out there to talk me down? Is this, like Spook Speak or something, and I missed the nuance?

My take-awasy
You are spot on. :thumbs: Sorry I can't talk you down. :bighug:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun May 13, 2018 2:20 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:31 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 9:05 am

:bighug: Me, too. I think you are spot on, I have the same concerns.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm

HuffPo: Gina Haspel Confirmed As CIA Director With Aid Of Democrats:
Democrats had the power to block her nomination, but they couldn’t stick together.

The Senate on Thursday confirmed Gina Haspel to be President Donald Trump’s CIA director after a number of Democrats facing tough reelection fights this year announced they would support her nomination.

Haspel, a former clandestine officer with more than 30 years of service at the agency, was confirmed by a narrow 54-45 vote. Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) and Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) joined nearly every Republican in voting to approve her nomination.

Democrats had the power to block Haspel’s nomination. But a key moment heralding their defeat came when Warner, the top Democrat on the Senate intelligence committee, announced he would back her. The Virginia Democrat, whose state is home to CIA’s headquarters, cited Haspel’s written disavowal of the interrogation program as sufficient to gain his endorsement. His announcement gave several other moderate Democrats cover to back her as well.
Flake and Paul voted against; McCain did not vote.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “The Trump Cabinet”