Kavanaugh hearings: Avenatti casually tossing bombs

HST's Ghost

Re: Kavanaugh hearings: Avenatti casually tossing bombs

Post by HST's Ghost » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm

And yet another big bomb tossed...witnesses and more witnesses...Soros will be broke in no time!

Michael Avenatti

Verified account

@MichaelAvenatti
6h6 hours ago
More
URGENT: Below please find an email just sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee, together with a declaration from another witness who confirms a number of Ms. Swetnick's claims. These women deserve to be heard & interviewed by the FBI before any vote on the nomination.

Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:09 pm

I like the "It is also laughable."

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... aa90f18037

By Connie Chung
October 3 at 12:47 PM

Connie Chung is a broadcast journalist.

Dear Christine Blasey Ford,

I, too, was sexually assaulted — not 36 years ago but about 50 years ago. I have kept my dirty little secret to myself. Silence for five decades. The molester was our trusted family doctor. What made this monster even more reprehensible was that he was the very doctor who delivered me on Aug. 20, 1946. I’m 72 now.

It was the 1960s. I was in college. The sexual revolution was in full swing. The exact date and year are fuzzy. But details of the event are vivid — forever seared in my memory.

Am I sure who did it? Oh yes, 100 percent.

I was a cool college coed but not that cool. I was still a virgin in the ’60s. I did advance to the so-called heavy petting stage, short of intercourse. I assumed that would come next.

I went to my family doctor to ask for birth-control pills, an IUD or a diaphragm.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:00 pm
If Avenatti doesn't come out with a credible Bart O'Kavanaugh accuser, then we can revisit the issue.
After NBC News received text messages from the woman refuting some of the claims in the declaration, NBC reached out again to Avenatti, who defended the declaration.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," he said in a text. "I have a signed declaration that states otherwise together with multiple audio recordings where she stated exactly what is in the declaration. There were also multiple witnesses to our discussions."

He sent a follow-up message moments later: "I just confirmed with her yet again that everything in the declaration is true and correct," Avenatti said. "She must have been confused by your question."

Roughly five minutes later, the woman sent a formally-worded text backing Avenatti. "Please understand that everything in the declaration is true and you should not contact me anymore regarding this issue," the text read.

But when reached by phone minutes later, the woman again insisted that she never saw Kavanaugh spike punch or act inappropriately toward women. She said she's "been consistent in what she's told Michael."

In a subsequent text on Oct. 5, she wrote, "I will definitely talk to you again and no longer Avenatti. I do not like that he twisted my words."
Lying. Sack. Of. Shit.

The main criticism of Avenatti by the lawyers here on Fogbow was that he was obviously putting his own interests above those of his clients. It's not a matter of being psychic or guessing right, it's a simple matter of observing that his behavior has been bleedingly obvious to be incompatible with the competent practice of law.

And, so, big surprise, his performance during the Kavanaugh hearing was bullshit, helped no one, and his self-immolation is now a punchline for Trump supporters - MAGA: Michael Avenatti Got Arrested.

Have a good nose rub into what Michael Avenatti has done for "our side":

The right wing is REJOICING at the failure to see this man for who he was, and the opprobrium heaped on anyone who wondered why the emperor was parading naked down the street.

I primarily do intellectual property law. I never reunited a child with a parent. I have, however, done pro bono work that made a real difference in deserving peoples' lives, including in a matter where Donald Trump was the other side. And, no, I'm not going to violate confidentiality or other ethical rules to brag about it the way your hero did, or to make other people's causes about me. Because my client's causes are not about me. Ever.

Did I ever steal money from a mentally ill paraplegic? No.

Did I ever railroad a client into a $300k adverse award to serve my ego? Nope.

Did I ever defraud a bank, evade taxes, fail to pay child support? Can't say that I have done those things either.

Have I ever, or will I ever spend a nanosecond in envy of Michael Avenatti? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Thanks pal.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah well, in fairness it's really hard to envy a guy who's gonna be disbarred and sent to prison. That's a low bar. :lol:
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:09 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am
Yeah well, in fairness it's really hard to envy a guy who's gonna be disbarred and sent to prison. That's a low bar. :lol:
I don't know for sure where my meals will be coming from in 2025.

So, there's that.
Thanks pal.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am
To those of you who sit in your ivory towers and piss on Avenatti this is why we will continue to lose. The average voter is not a Fogbow member. They are not reasoning people. They are disengaged schmucks who absorb the news like an amoeba absorbs food through its cell wall. If something is repeated enough times and is shiny/sparkly they will pay attention. Avenatti gets through to the average voter.
Oh, he's gotten through all right. The average voter now has a reason to discount anything said by those who propped this jackass up.

Thanks pal.

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am

Wasn't it like one poster once who said there was envy involved?

What do we need to do to make this stop being so painful? Could I start an open letter, and those of us who decry the "envy" remark could be signatories? Would that help?

Gosh.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

If variations such as "how many children have you reunited with parents," "pissing out of your ivory tower," "yeah that's" and so on are counted, it was more than one or two. A lot of those things were said out of frustration with things happening in society, and because there was nowhere else to send the anger, not because of true personal animus, and I intellectually understand that. Intellectually. But the comments were still unfair, and they still hurt. They hurt a lot.

I've been doing my best to stay away from "I told you so" posts, both because they don't solve anything and just piss people off more, and also because I'd be lying if I said I believed there was anything remotely close to the current allegations waiting to surface. That there could easily be some problems with Avenatti that would bite his supporters in the ass a little bit might have been predictable, but I seriously doubt that anyone expected stuff like this.

Too, also, I know I'm no angel. I've crossed the line quite a few times over the years. The only thing I can offer in mitigation for that is that when I do, I try to publicly own up to the failings and try not to repeat them.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:59 am

I get that -- and I probably don't notice the "yeah, that's" nearly as much. Mebbe the snideness isn't as obvious to everyone, either?

It's that the avenatti topics really have turned into something unpleasant and personal, for the most part. I've considered posting news in them, but new news seems like just fodder for the snide told you sos.

I know people get frustrated. I've lobbed some snide bombs in my day. But it seems like there could be a lot of fun avenatti crap still to come, and the threads could be more fun without the envy war.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:01 am

listeme wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 am
What do we need to do to make this stop being so painful?
Thanks pal.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 am

Why is Zod wearing a leaf-collection trash bag? :confused:
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am

I was on the receiving end of a lot of that. However, I was also very vocal in my opposition to the drawing out of the Kavanaugh hearings and the Blasey Ford testimony (to the distress of many here), because I thought it would cost Democrats in November. While I still think some of the non-state-level elections in my home state of Wisconsin could have been won had that particular hornet's nest been stirred, New York Magazine points to some interesting data regarding the long-game angle that many of my opponents and interlocutors in that discussion predicted. In the spirit of trying to be a slightly better poster, here it is.
That’s what makes a new report by PerryUndem, a non-partisan public opinion research firm based in Washington, D.C., so fascinating. The firm conducted a wide-ranging survey of 1,319 registered voters in late December. They asked: What did watching Ford and Kavanaugh’s conflicted testimonies drum up for people watching? Whom did they believe? Did they think differently about women in power, or about women who speak out about sexual assault? Some of this ground was covered by pollsters immediately after Ford’s allegations came to light in late September, or after Kavanaugh was confirmed in early October. But PerryUndem’s research provided the opportunity for find out what people thought when they’d had the chance to process what happened, and what they had done about it.

What they thought, by a margin of sixteen points, was that Ford was telling the truth — a number that had gone up by nine points compared to a poll of 1,111 voters Quinnipiac conducted right after she and Kavanaugh testified. (In 1991, Anita Hill’s testimony that Clarence Thomas sexually harassed her actually made people support him more, and one poll indicated Americans believed his account over hers by nearly 20 points.) More than half said they believe Kavanaugh lied under oath about his teenage years; about half have a negative impression of him.

What they did, mostly, was vote for Democrats. Ultimately, PerryUndem concludes that the Kavanaugh hearings may actually have helped Democrats more than Republicans, noting that “feeling unfavorably toward Justice Kavanaugh motivated people to vote for the Democratic candidate for US House of Representatives — above and beyond typical factors, such as party affiliation.” (Although there was a similar effect with people who liked Kavanaugh being motivated to vote for Republicans, the net impact for Democrats may have been greater, because 50 percent of voters said the hearings made them think about how underrepresented women are in government, and were twice as likely to vote for Democrats as a result.)

It turns out, though, that there was a Kavanaugh effect a la Trump’s fulminating — it just mainly existed among Republican men. PerryUndem’s data suggests that the Kavanaugh hearing made Republican men more sexist and less likely to believe women who say they were assaulted. In a 2017 survey the group conducted focusing on #metoo, 80 percent of Republican men said they were now more likely to believe women making accusations. After Kavanaugh, that number has sunk by 21 points. The Kavanaugh hearing was also more likely to make Republican men think sexism is exaggerated in our society: in 2017, 47 percent of Republican men agreed that “most women interpret innocent remarks or acts as being sexist.” A year later, after Kavanaugh, the number jumped to 68 percent. And the number of Republican men who agree that sexism is a problem in our society went down.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

listeme wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:59 am
I get that -- and I probably don't notice the "yeah, that's" nearly as much. Mebbe the snideness isn't as obvious to everyone, either?

It's that the avenatti topics really have turned into something unpleasant and personal, for the most part. I've considered posting news in them, but new news seems like just fodder for the snide told you sos.

I know people get frustrated. I've lobbed some snide bombs in my day. But it seems like there could be a lot of fun avenatti crap still to come, and the threads could be more fun without the envy war.
Can't speak to anyone else, but I've been trying my best to keep the new Avenatti stuff as free of the envy war as I can. My level of success has probably been a bit variable, but I am making the effort.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

That's pretty interesting data. I wonder why the proportion of Republican men went down? Was it ive something positive like they felt she got a fair hearing wheras that would have never happened 20 years ago, such as what happened with Anita Hill, or something more sinister.

And there's zero "I told you so" from me. I just found Avenatti unpleasent from the beginning, and I knew that was my own personal feelings. he could have been a very unpleasent saint as far as I was concerned. Orlylicious was right though that he drove Trump wild and drove Trump into a lot of unforced errors. I'm not commenting on the laywering.

I dont think anyone could have realised what a crook the guy was.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Res Ipsa

Post by Res Ipsa » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:09 am
Why is Zod wearing a leaf-collection trash bag? :confused:
Zod's home planet, of course, was entirely bereft of fossil fuels, having had a very limited supply in the first place. Accordingly, the remaining materials derived from petroleum were highly prized, much like silk in earth's past was. A Hefty bag is the height of ostentatious luxury.
Thanks pal.

Return to “Brett Kavanaugh - Nomination for Supreme Court”