SCOTUS: Kavanaugh Nomination Hearings, September 4 2018

Addie

Re: SCOTUS: Kavanaugh Nomination Hearings, September 4 2018

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 am

Just for the record: Graphs from today's WaPo: Senators representing less than half the U.S. are about to confirm a nominee opposed by most Americans - Philip Bump

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:44 am

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:54 am

Watch Live: Senate votes on confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh

Senators are expected to vote on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court starting around 5 p.m. ET Saturday.
Quartz: Everything you need to know about today’s final Senate vote on Brett Kavanaugh

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:24 am

BuzzFeed News
Merrick Garland Has Recused Himself From The Ethics Complaints Against Brett Kavanaugh

Chief Judge Merrick Garland disqualified himself from handling ethics complaints against US Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit announced Saturday morning.

The statement did not explain why Garland — whose own nomination to the Supreme Court in 2016 was unsuccessful after Republicans refused to act on it — had decided to step aside, or provide an update on the status of the complaints.

Multiple ethics complaints have been filed against Kavanaugh in his current court, the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, about his testimony in recent weeks in the US Senate and his response to allegations of sexual misconduct. The chief judge of the circuit normally handles ethics cases, but they have discretion to step aside if they conclude “circumstances warrant disqualification,” under the federal judiciary’s rules.

If the chief judge is disqualified, the complaint falls to the next most senior judge of the court, in this case Judge Karen LeCraft Henderson, who issued Saturday’s statement. The fact that the statement came from the DC Circuit suggests it hasn’t been transferred to another circuit.

In other high-profile cases, courts have asked Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts to assign them elsewhere, to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest. The Supreme Court has not responded to requests for comment about whether the DC Circuit had asked to transfer the Kavanaugh complaints; a DC Circuit representative declined to comment.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am

WaPo
As Kavanaugh is all but confirmed, questions linger about his judicial temperament

Retired justice John Paul Stevens didn’t like what he saw. Neither did the American Bar Association panel that first gave U.S. Appeals Court Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh its highest endorsement for his elevation to the Supreme Court — and Friday announced that it was having second thoughts.

And Senate Democrats say — putting aside other allegations and concerns about Kavanaugh moving the Supreme Court too far to the right — the judge’s angry and confrontational testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week undermines his fitness for the court.

As Kavanaugh’s confirmation seemed all but guaranteed Friday, questions lingered about his judicial temperament, a difficult-to-define term that took on enormous significance in the bruising battle over his nomination.

The concept of judicial temperament is considered important to assuring the public that a judge is a neutral arbiter, someone with an open mind and without an agenda. Nonpartisanship would seem a necessary part of that, along with, on an appellate court like the Supreme Court, collegiality and negotiating skills that persuade others to form a majority for an outcome.
Adding:
NJ.com: Supreme Court could lose legitimacy if not viewed as impartial, Kagan and Sotomayor say ahead of Kavanaugh vote
Vox: Impeaching a Supreme Court justice, explained

It works just like impeaching a president.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:20 pm

The Hill
Kavanaugh accuser Deborah Ramirez says senators are 'deliberately ignoring' his behavior

Deborah Ramirez, the second woman to publicly accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault, accused the Senate on Saturday of ignoring evidence of Kavanaugh's alleged sexual misconduct during his nomination process.

In a statement issued Saturday ahead of Kavanaugh's confirmation vote, Ramirez said through her lawyers that the Senate's refusal to take her allegation seriously reminded her of her alleged assault.

"Thirty-five years ago, the other students in the room chose to laugh and look the other way as sexual violence was perpetrated on me by Brett Kavanaugh," the statement reads. "As I watch many of the senators speak and vote on the floor of the Senate I feel like I’m right back at Yale where half the room is laughing and looking the other way. Only this time, instead of drunk college kids, it is U.S. senators who are deliberately ignoring his behavior." ...

In the days since the FBI delivered its report to the Senate, Democrats sharply criticized Republicans and the FBI for having a limited scope. Democrats say the bureau did not do due diligence in interviewing corroborating witnesses or Ford herself in its investigation.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:29 pm

New York Times
Confirming Kavanaugh: A Triumph for Conservatives, but a Blow to the Court’s Image

WASHINGTON — For President Trump and for Senate Republicans, confirming Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh as a Supreme Court justice will be a hard-won political victory. But for the conservative legal movement, it is also a signal triumph, the culmination of a decades-long project that began in the Reagan era with the heady goal of capturing a solid majority on the nation’s highest court.

Once Judge Kavanaugh is sworn in, the Supreme Court will be more conservative than at any other time in modern history. By some measures, “we might be heading into the most conservative era since at least 1937,” said Lee Epstein, a law professor and political scientist at Washington University in St. Louis.

The new majority is sure to move the law to the right on countless deeply contested issues, including abortion, affirmative action, voting and gun rights. And the victory will very likely be a lasting one. Judge Kavanaugh, now 53, could serve for decades, and the other conservative justices are young by Supreme Court standards. The court’s senior liberals are not. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 85, and Justice Stephen G. Breyer is 80.

And there will be no swing justice in the mold of Anthony M. Kennedy, Sandra Day O’Connor or Lewis F. Powell Jr., who forged alliances with both liberals and conservatives. Instead, the court will consist of two distinct blocs — five conservatives and four liberals.

The court, in other words, will perfectly reflect the deep polarization of the American public and political system. The fight to put Judge Kavanaugh on the court only widened that division. The confirmation process was a bare-knuckle brawl, and the nomination was muscled through by sheer force of political will. All of this inflicted collateral damage on the court, leaving it injured and diminished.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 pm

And that damage isn't just apparent in the USA - I've been fielding questions for weeks now about how much this diminishes what's legitimately been seen as one of the leading courts in the world.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 pm

WaPo - Alexandra Petri
But I hope you feel empowered, sweet cheeks

Well, sure, I am going to vote yes on Kavanaugh, sweetie. Don’t become hysterical. But I just feel so awful it had to happen like this. It’s such a shame, I think.

I just think, dollface, if there is one thing that came out of all this, sugar, that was good, it is, pumpkin, that you got to have your say. Baby, you got to stand up in front of all these people and bear witness to what you felt like you had experienced, like a big girl! It was so important, and I absolutely believed you, sweetheart!

Chickadee, baby doll, your voice was so important. Your movement matters, honey. It matters, darling. It matters, sweet cheeks.

I think the people who should feel bad, though, honey pie (not you, of course, duckling!) are the people who told you that if you said something, it might matter. That was mean of them. What was so cruel was that you, baby girl, had to bear witness thinking that something would happen. I suppose you didn’t know, sugar tits, that nothing was going to happen, doll baby. But I was so inspired by you and what you did! It was so brave, pudding! It was so wonderful, toots!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:48 pm

I am likely wrong but a gut feeling is telling me he’s not going to last long.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Brett Kavanaugh confirmed to Supreme Court
By Clare Foran and Stephen Collinson, CNN

Updated 2143 GMT (0543 HKT) October 6, 2018

Washington (CNN)The Senate voted to send Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court on Saturday, ushering in a generational conservative majority and delivering a huge victory to President Donald Trump after a vicious confirmation battle inflamed by allegations of sexual assault against the nominee.

As shrieks of "shame, shame, shame" echoed from the public galleries, divided and angry senators voted 50-48 to endorse a lifetime seat on the court for Kavanaugh. The protests underscored the vital importance of an appointment that will have sweeping consequences for some of the nation's most contested disputes over abortion, LGBT rights, the scope of presidential power and the role of religion in society.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/06/poli ... index.html

shrek

Post by shrek » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:16 pm

And Lyndsey Graham wallows in it...

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 pm

My God. I am not in the habit of dropping f-bombs even as an anonymous person on the internet, but can I shout a FUCK YOU for this :shit:?

The crowd in front of the U.S. Supreme Court is tiny, looks like about 200 people (& most are onlookers) - that wouldn’t even fill the first couple of rows of our Kansas Rally, or any of our Rallies for that matter! The Fake News Media tries to make it look sooo big, & it’s not!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 pm

:bigvomit:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:20 pm

NEW —> TRUMP, in phone interview this afternoon with Wash Post, said LISA MURKOWSKI "will never recover" for voting “no" on Kavanaugh.

“The people from Alaska will never forgive her for what she did.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:43 pm

I think you may be onto something, Pipi. They're really racking up the hubris today.
pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:48 pm

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
I know there’s been a lot of talk about impeaching him after the elections, but I just don’t see 66 votes.

It will take a scandal, although the old norms seem to be insufficient anymore.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:06 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
I know there’s been a lot of talk about impeaching him after the elections, but I just don’t see 66 votes.

No, I’m thinking meltdown vs. takedown.

DmitriNotPetra

Post by DmitriNotPetra » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:09 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:06 pm
GreatGrey wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:59 pm
pipistrelle wrote:

No, I’m thinking meltdown vs. takedown.
I think a few more tell alls from women could provoke a full on meltdown. I do hope for the GOPs sake none of those athletic young women Kavanaugh coaches have any stories to tell.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:10 pm

When your law degree is from Trump U...

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:19 pm

I don’t see nearly enough pundits reporters etc talking about his hyper-partisanship. For many, that’s the disqualifier, not the high school behavior, or even the college behavior*.

He seems to have had a clear understanding with the Republican PTB that all his work on the Party’s behalf up to, indeed right through the hearings, has been to gain.this.seat which was promised to him years ago as payment for those deeds**. “The fix is in”, indeed.

* As has been pointed out, Republican ratf*ckrs Lee Atwater, Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, and others got their start in college manipulating elections, lying and looking to make a name for themselves and impress politicos on the next level up. They haven’t stopped yet. It’s fiction, not human nature, what Kavanaugh wants us to believe.

** You know damn well there are others we don’t know about in addition to the ones we do, both mortal and venal. I don’t trust him, not that I’ll ever have business before his court :lol:; those that will, however...
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:20 pm

I do hope for the GOPs sake none of those athletic young women Kavanaugh coaches have any stories to tell.
And for the young ladies’s sakes. :brokenheart:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 pm

Kendra wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 pm
My God. I am not in the habit of dropping f-bombs even as an anonymous person on the internet, but can I shout a FUCK YOU for this :shit:?

The crowd in front of the U.S. Supreme Court is tiny, looks like about 200 people (& most are onlookers) - that wouldn’t even fill the first couple of rows of our Kansas Rally, or any of our Rallies for that matter! The Fake News Media tries to make it look sooo big, & it’s not!
Let him keep telling this to his people. They'll see no reason to go to the polls next month.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 pm

This is what he reportedly said about a year ago, and the 2 unknowns are Ginsburg and Sotomayor. He was saying at the rally today he could appoint 4 or 5. People are guessing the 5th would be Thomas, based on rumors he will retire if GOP holds the Senate.

Look for some version of this to make its way into the candidates' messaging for the final few weeks of their campaigns. I'm not sure it will have the kind of impact they are hoping for.

Return to “Brett Kavanaugh - Nomination for Supreme Court”