SCOTUS: Kavanaugh Nomination Hearings, September 4 2018

Slim Cognito

Re: SCOTUS: Kavanaugh Nomination Hearings, September 4 2018

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Change approved.
Goodwill has opened their Halloween Dept which makes it officially Halloween Season! :dance: ImageImageImage x4

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:21 pm
Once they have 50, Senators have to do what they have to do to get reelected.

Not having corroborating evidence made this really, really hard. Elections have consequences and for all those that voted third party or sat out 2016, here's the result.
See Kavanaugh: 31 Lies and Counting at

Focus on what's provable. He lied. Many times. He does not have a judicial temperament.

That's all I focused on in my communications. This is much easier to argue than something that happened decades ago.

He is not fit to be a judge, let alone a Supreme.

Wonder how Roberts is liking this. Isn't he the man who worried about how his court was going to be perceived?

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:34 pm

"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Kinda mixed on this. On the downside, he doesn't value judicial temperament, but on the upside, he just defeated a line of attack that the PACs have already sunk a bunch of ad money into.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:16 pm

ABC News: Protesters shout 'shame' at Democrat supporting Kavanaugh
NBC News: Collins, Manchin to vote 'yes' on Kavanaugh, virtually ensuring his confirmation

Minutes after the Maine Republican threw her support to Trump's nominee, Joe Manchin of West Virginia became the only Democratic senator to back him.
Fortune: Kavanaugh Confirmation a Virtual Lock After Collins and Manchin Reveal Their 'Yes' Votes
Associated Press: Brett Kavanaugh to be narrowly confirmed after Collins, Manchin announce their support
Mother Jones: Joe Manchin’s Argument for Voting for Brett Kavanaugh Makes No Sense

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:20 pm

That headline could have been shortened by one apostrophe, one 's', and six words.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am
If I am reading correctly:
  1. Since the Democrats brought forward the rape charges against Kavanaugh the Republicans will be motivated to voted.
  2. If the Democrats didn't actually bring forward the charges the Republicans will be motivated to vote.
  3. Since the Democrats pointed out that Kavanaugh repeatedly lied to the Senate Judiciary Committee the Republicans will be motivated to vote.
  4. If Kavanaugh is confirmed the Republicans will motivated to vote.
  5. If Kavanaugh is not confirmed the Republicans will be motivated to vote.
  6. If the Democrats even exist as a party the Republicans will be motivated to vote.
  7. If Donald Trump took a big old dump in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue at high noon the Republicans will be motivated to vote.
I think I am seeing a pattern here. :doh:
They are always motivated to vote. RWNJ media is relentless in keeping them perpetually enraged. If it wasn't Kavanaugh it would be something else. Fuck them. We can't control them. We can't modify our behavior in order to prevent them from being enraged. All we can do is start to give Democratic voters all the reasons they need to get them motivated enough to vote.

Fact is that satisfaction doesn't cause rage. This is why rwnj media keeps their voters enraged. Democratic politicians and the Democratic party need to do a better job at reminding Democratic and Independent voters what happens when they don't show up to vote.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Sitting here and wondering if the outcome might have been different if John McCain were still alive and there were only ninety-nine Senators voting.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:39 pm

The odds are better than even that Maverick McVain would have dragged his corpse in for one final yes vote.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

DmitriNotPetra

Post by DmitriNotPetra » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:45 pm

I’m not an Alex Jones conspiracy type, but I do know that there are certain time in US politics when a certain fix is in the works. Barring a smoking gun criminal charge, Kavanaugh was going to be confirmed. Some shadowy forces out there wanted it to happen, and the reasons go beyond Trump and beyond the Gamble case on the docket. The reasons are probably too esoteric or nebulous for us mere mortals to understand, but in simple terms some people were going to lose a lot of money over the next 10 or 20 fiscal quarters if Kavanaugh wasn’t confirmed. The GOPs push for Kavanaugh made little sense, and that tells me they were just following orders. I

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm

kate520 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm
So, fuck Collins. Primary the bitch.

This is all so disheartening.
She's a Republican. She'd be primaried if she had voted no.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 pm

RVInit wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:24 pm
We can't control them. We can't modify our behavior in order to prevent them from being enraged.
Precisely.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:47 pm
kate520 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm
So, fuck Collins. Primary the bitch.

This is all so disheartening.
She's a Republican. She'd be primaried if she had voted no.
She will probably be primaried anyway. I can imagine the words "high maintenance bitch" being said by Republican power brokers behind closed doors right this very minute.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:27 pm
Sitting here and wondering if the outcome might have been different if John McCain were still alive and there were only ninety-nine Senators voting.
Murkowski would have been a yes. It's even possible that if Collins had flipped, the moral munchkin would have been a "no."
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:07 pm

What bothers me so much is that people have been dumbed down to the point of being hopelessly fucking stupid. They fawn over a “reality show” President who couldn’t tell the truth if his own fucking life depended on it. And they say “awww so sad so credible” about a sexual assault victim and then vote to put her sexual assailant on the Supreme Court.

W… T… F….

I have no more hope…. None.
Birfers are toast

bob

Post by bob » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:13 pm

A Facebook thing going around claims that the "yes" senators represent 143M people, and the "no" senators represent 182M people. (On top of being nominated by a president that lost the popular vote.)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

tek

Post by tek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

So from my perspective:
He lied through his teeth, but that's apparently fine.

Without the drinking and sexual misconduct allegations, he still lied. And that's apparently fine.

Given that, it truly is a terrible time for young men. And young women. And any men and women.
There's no way back
from there to here

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:25 pm

Susan Rice is contemplating a run for Collins’ seat. Wouldn’t that be fun?

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 pm

I was out this afternoon and missed the notification on my watch about this. I'm glad I missed it. I'm not surprised AT ALL at Susan Collins. This is her schtick. I think she has won her last election in Maine. I understand she had aspirations to run for governor next, not the Senate again. It won't matter. The women in Maine who have been begging her not to do this will not forget. As far as Manchin goes, no big surprise there either. I'm not so sure that his race is so tight that he might not have still won, but I can see why he did this. I don't see why the Democrats should support him after this, though. He won't be up for reelection for six more years. Hopefully, the landscape will have changed for the better by then.

I was expecting Murkowski to vote no. It's not just the women, but the native Alaskans. She wouldn't be in the Senate today if it weren't for them. She ran as an Independent last time and won against a tea party nut. She might even have had permission from the evil McConnell to vote this way.

I think, on the whole, that having this behind us is better for the Democrats in the mid-terms. I think it will get out the vote. And I agree that if the republicans didn't have this over the last month to rile up the base, it would be something else. This, though, has longer repercussions and terrible ones at that.

Oh my gawd, I just heard Grassley say there are no republican women on the judiciary committee because they don't want to do the extra work. :bigvomit:

tek

Post by tek » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:31 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:27 pm
Oh my gawd, I just heard Grassley say there are no republican women on the judiciary committee because they don't want to do the extra work. :bigvomit:
I just can't..
There's no way back
from there to here

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:37 pm

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Grassley is loving his sudden, (and I do mean sudden, no one paid him much mind until Trump), National popularity among the Repugs.

He’s gotten mean as a snake lately, too. A few years back (2009) I was sure he was having cognition issues. Nothing I’ve seen has changed my opinion. It could have just been him lurching to the right as his party changed, to save his political ass, that can make one seem demented.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:46 pm

The Hill
Liberal group cuts support for Dems Manchin, Bredesen over Kavanaugh

MoveOn, a progressive outside group, said on Friday that it is cutting support for Democrats in two key Senate races because they are supporting Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.

"We're cancelling a planned six-figure digital video ad expenditure for Phil Bredesen in Tennessee due to his Kavanaugh position," the group said in a tweet.

They added that "similarly [we] will be pulling all planned campaigning on behalf of Joe Manchin in West Virginia if he votes yes. Kavanaugh is unfit for the Court."

Manchin became the only Senate Democrat to say he would vote for Kavanaugh on Friday, calling him a "qualified jurist who will follow the Constitution and determine cases based on the legal findings before him."

Bredesen, who is running for a seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), said that the sexual assault allegations against Kavanaugh "make it a much closer call" but "I’m still a ‘yes.'"

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:48 pm

OK then. Now I'm home and doing FB, I see an old college chum who is all over Trump, Rush Limbaugh and the Bircher set. She posts more when things get fired up like today.
Sekrit Stuffs!
Flood fb. with this.
Your Honor,
Please accept my apology for the horrible way the Democrat Party has attempted to destroy you and your beautiful family. I pray for our Lord to Protect your family. We believe in your morals and your love of freedom and America. I and my family weep for you and our beloved America.
:sick:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 pm

I know it's basically an exercise in futility now, but I called Flake, Manchin, and Collins to urge them to reconsider their votes (and should probably call Murkowski to thank her and ask her to continue to stand firm) -

Flake - (202) 224-4521
Collins - (202) 224-2523
Manchin - (202) 224-3954
Murkowski - (202) 224-6665

It's a last-ditch effort but there are the numbers if anyone wants to add their voice.

As for me, I am just more grateful every day that I live in Australia and that, despite a very loud Evangelical segment here, they are very clearly in the minority (even if our PM of the past 5 minutes is an Evangelical.)

Return to “Brett Kavanaugh - Nomination for Supreme Court”