New Jersey 2nd CD 2020

Addie

New Jersey 2nd CD 2020

Post by Addie »

Politico
First Democrat steps forward to run for Van Drew's seat

TRENTON — Brigid Callahan Harrison, a political science professor at Montclair State University, officially announced Monday that she’ll seek the Democratic nomination in New Jersey’s 2nd Congressional District next year amid Rep. Jeff Van Drew’s anticipated defection to the Republican Party.

Harrison announced last month that she was considering a primary challenge to Van Drew.

“Those of us across South Jersey deserve a true leader who is not afraid to ask questions, engage the community, demand the truth, and who will always put the needs of the district and its people before self-interest,” Harrison, who teaches in North Jersey but lives in South Jersey's 2nd District, said in a statement. “Jeff Van Drew made a choice. He has repeatedly ignored the voices of our community and has instead sold his soul, cutting backroom deals with the White House.”

News of Van Drew’s planned defection broke Saturday, and several of his staffers have already resigned.

Addie

Re: New Jersey 2nd CD 2020

Post by Addie »

Cook Political
Van Drew Party Switch Moves NJ-02 from Toss Up to Lean Republican

Freshman Democratic Rep. Jeff Van Drew (NJ-02) set off a political earthquake over the weekend when he informed his staff that he plans to become a Republican after meeting with President Trump and losing support from local South Jersey party leaders over his anti-impeachment stance. Six of his top aides have since resigned and the DCCC has pledged to defeat him in 2020, but it won't be easy.

The entire situation proves just how little wiggle room there is on impeachment: Van Drew had been politically adrift since being one of just two Democrats to cast a vote against formalizing rules for the inquiry in October (the other was Rep. Collin Peterson (MN-07). Afterwards, Atlantic County Democratic Chair Michael Suleiman and others refused to sign a pledge backing Van Drew in a primary.

In machine-run New Jersey, that matters: county party bosses have the power to give candidates favorable ballot placements. But Van Drew, a Blue Dog former state senator who once had an "A" rating from the NRA, had clearly tanked among his Democratic voters too: TargetSmart poll commissioned by his campaign December 7-10 found 54 percent of 2nd CD Democrats preferred another candidate.

Then, there was the electoral evidence: in November, Trump state campaign chair Mike Testa unseated Van Drew's successor and ally in the legislature, Democratic state Sen. Bob Andrzejczak, by six points despite Andrzejczak telling voters he is open to voting for Trump in 2020 and campaigning as a member of the "Van Drew Team." Andrzejczak's stance may have cost him more allies than won him new friends.

It's a jarring turnabout less than a year after Van Drew ascended to Congress, especially considering the DCCC had wooed him to run for over a decade and had hailed flipping the seat as a huge victory after moderate GOP Rep. Frank LoBiondo retired in 2018.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Check this out. The Committee to Defend the President is dropping $258k in NJ2 to support Van Drew, who flipped parties today.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

What a suck up.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, but logic tells me , if this red district voted blue in 2018 because they were sick of trump, why would they vote for the turncoat that just pledged his undying loyalty to...trump?
ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Not to be catty about one's taste in fashion (but I am), but I saw it noted somewhere on the internet that his handkerchief with the pointy heads are like Klan hoods.I

Edit, autocorrect :bag:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kendra wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:02 pm
Not to be catty about one's taste in fashion (but I am), but I saw it noted somewhere on the internet that his handkerchief with the pointy heads are like Klan hoods.I

Edit, autocorrect :bag:
Eh, I sometimes use the four-points fold for my pocket handkerchiefs. The awful plaid suits Van Drew wears bother me a whole lot more. The man looks like a fucking used-car salesman.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Kendra wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:27 pm
What a suck up.

I thought about saying we've reached peak Orwell but I know we haven't.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:48 pm
I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, but logic tells me , if this red district voted blue in 2018 because they were sick of trump, why would they vote for the turncoat that just pledged his undying loyalty to...trump?
That's my thinking also. The only thing that could reverse it is the very ugly Presidential campaign and the Dems choosing a nominee who will be incessantly smeared and unable or unwilling to fight back effectively.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

He was supposed to be on Fox & Friends this morning, but sleep got in the way and I missed it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://vandrew.house.gov/media/press-r ... h-congress
Washington DC—Today, Congressman Van Drew announced his significant committee assignments in the House of Representatives for the second session of the 116th Congress.

Congressman Van Drew was appointed to the Homeland Security Committee, which oversees the Department of Homeland Security and all the agencies under the DHS umbrella created for our national security. This includes the Coast Guard which has a training facility in Cape May.

Congressman Van Drew was also appointed to the Education and Labor Committee which oversees all federal education initiatives from pre-school to continuing education, and all labor issues from pensions to job training.

“I am proud and excited to serve my country, my state, and my community on these committees. I will always be the voice of the people and a voice for reason in Washington D.C. This is a giant win for our district, and I look forward to working on the issues my constituents sent me here to solve. I plan to work with all my colleagues on education and labor issues and to ensure the security of our nation by providing agencies from FEMA’s disaster recovery efforts to the Coast Guard protecting our nation with the tools they need to be successful. I look forward to this exciting new chapter.”

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jeff Van Drew is a Courageous Leader that left the Do Nothing Democrats to better serve the Great people of New Jersey. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
@CongressmanJVD
!

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives Elections”