New York 2nd CD 2020

Addie

New York 2nd CD 2020

Post by Addie »

WaPo
Rep. Peter T. King, a 14-term Republican congressman from New York, announces retirement

Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.), a 14-term congressman and former chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, said he is retiring, becoming the 20th House Republican to announce that he will not seek reelection next year.

In a statement, King, 75, said he made the decision after “much discussion” with his wife and children.

“The prime reason for my decision was that after 28 years of spending 4 days a week in Washington, D.C., it is time to end the weekly commute and be home in Seaford,” King said in a statement. “This was not an easy decision.”

King represents a South Shore Long Island district that includes parts of Nassau County and Suffolk County. He won reelection in 2018 with 53 percent of the vote over Democrat Liuba Grechen Shirley.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: New York 2nd CD 2020

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Real reason: it sucks to be in the minority when the minority has no interest in working on laws to improve the country but just wants to ratf*ck the Democrats.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Let's see.... Four day a week time 50 weeks (time off for Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter)... That's 200 days a year in D.C.

Right?
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl »

Really, Chuck? :sick:
Chuck Schumer

Verified account

@SenSchumer

Peter King stood head & shoulders above everyone else

He’s been principled & never let others push him away from his principles

He’s fiercely loved America, Long Island, and his Irish heritage and left a lasting mark on all 3

I will miss him in Congress & value his friendship
This is a possible Dem pickup. :thumbs:

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Probably a good move on Chuck's part to say pretty things about King, so as to not piss off his (King's) constituents. It's like saying nice things at some bastard's funeral. If it helps pick up his seat, I can live with it. Compared to some, this King wasn't all that bad.

(edited for clarity, thanks Portia.)
ImageImageImage x4

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I reckon you mean King's constituents. So yeah, maybe.

I can tell you that Schumer's constituents, the Dems at least, are mightly pissed off (including this particular Schumer constituent).
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Eh, I've hated Peter King ever since he chaired a Homeland Security subcommittee years ago and held a series of hearings essentially asking whether all Muslims were, in fact, terrorists or terrorist sympathizers. The blatant Islamophobia was bad enough, but what made it worse was the hypocrisy: King was an active supporter of NORAID (read: a US front organization raising funds and smuggling arms to the Irish Republican Army) and public apologist for Sinn Fein and the IRA for years and years during the period they were actively involved in terrorist attacks, including attacks against the government of the United Kingdom. So deep was King's involvement that he was actually under surveillance by GCHQ (the British equivalent to the NSA) at one point, if memory serves, because he kept having phone calls with terrorists.

In other words, he was just fine with terrorism when it was "the boys down the local pub" doing the bombing and the shooting. But as soon as the "bad guys" had brown skin, he wanted witch hunts.

Good riddance.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cook Political Report: King's Retirement Moves NY-02 From Likely to Lean Republican

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Democrat Jackie Gordon wins New York primary in race to replace Peter King

Army veteran Jackie Gordon won the Democratic primary in New York’s 1st District in the race to replace retiring Rep. Peter King (R) in November.

Gordon, who became the first African American to become a member of the Town Council in Babylon, N.Y., in 2007, won with 71 percent of the vote, prevailing over Patricia Maher, in a race that was called Friday by the Associated Press.

Gordon will face New York assemblyman Andrew Garbarino, the winner of the Republican primary, in November, in a race that opened up after King announced he would retire after 14 terms.

The Cook Political Report rates the race as “lean Republican.”

New York’s primaries were originally scheduled for April 28, but were moved to June 23 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Like elsewhere around the country, New York has seen a surge in mailed-in ballots that has delayed results.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

Was this race redistricted from 1st to 2nd? Or am I just nuts? :think:
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Return to “U.S. House of Representatives Elections”