West Virginia US Senate 2020

Addie

West Virginia US Senate 2020

Post by Addie »

New York Times
Manchin Won’t Run for West Virginia Governor; Will Stay in Senate

WASHINGTON — Senator Joe Manchin III announced on Tuesday that he would not run for governor in his home state of West Virginia, ending speculation about the future of one of the Senate’s few moderate Democrats — and bringing relief to party leaders who feared Republicans would win his seat if he stepped down.

“Those who know me know how much I loved being the governor of West Virginia,” Mr. Manchin, who served in that role from 2005 to 2010, said in a statement. “I worked the daylights out of that job. I couldn’t wait to wake up in the Governor’s Mansion in the morning, and I didn’t want to go to bed at night, because there was always more that I could do for our state.”

But he said he could not make a decision based on what job he liked most, but rather on where he could be most useful. ...

In the Senate, Mr. Manchin is already a key swing vote. He was the lone Democrat to vote in favor of the confirmation of Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court last year. According to the website FiveThirtyEight, which tracks lawmakers’ votes, Mr. Manchin has voted with Mr. Trump 54 percent of the time.

Return to “U.S. Senate Elections”