Maine U.S. Senate 2020

bob

Maine U.S. Senate 2020

Post by bob »

Bangor Daily News: Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon joins race to challenge Susan Collins in 2020:
Maine House Speaker Sara Gideon announced a 2020 run against U.S. Sen. Susan Collins in a long-expected campaign launch on Monday that made her the second well-known Democrat to challenge the Republican incumbent.

Gideon, 47, of Freeport first teased a run against Collins immediately after the Republican voted in November for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. That vote kicked off a period of unprecedented partisan mobilization for and against the four-term senator.

Two progressive crowdfunds have raised nearly $4.7 million for Collins’ eventual Democratic challenger, but Collins virtually matched them with $4.4 million as of March’s end behind a record fundraising quarter after the Kavanaugh vote on the backs of large, out-of-state donors.

[ * * * ]

In her launch video, Gideon hit Collins for two landmark votes during the presidency of Donald Trump: the one for Kavanaugh and the other for the Republican tax-cut package passed in 2017, saying “at one point, maybe she was different than some of the other folks in Washington, but she doesn’t seem that way anymore.”

[ * * * ]

Gideon joins lobbyist Betsy Sweet of Hallowell, the third-place finisher in the 2018 Democratic gubernatorial primary, in the party field alongside little-known Saco lawyer Bre Kidman. Other Democrats are considering a run, including Secretary of State Matt Dunlap of Old Town and developer Rosa Scarcelli of Portland.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Lani

Re: Maine U.S. Senate 2020

Post by Lani »

:rotflmao:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

The next ad has to point out that when Susan sees a problem she writes a strong memo about it.

And files it as a disappointment.

Otherwise she does nothing. She votes for all of her disappointments.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

In another life, I could see myself making political campaign ads for PACs. I'd especially like to hijack trump's "chosen one" clip.
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:48 am
In another life, I could see myself making political campaign ads for PACs. I'd especially like to hijack trump's "chosen one" clip.
Do it now! Twitter, Instagram, et al., have available platforms! :thumbs:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Might be good to put the names of the candidates in the topic title.

Go Sara!
Susan Collins in statistical tie with Democratic challenger: poll
BY JORDAIN CARNEY - 02/18/20 06:12 PM EST

Republican Sen. Susan Collins (Maine) is tied with her leading Democratic challenger, according to a new poll released Tuesday.

Forty-two percent of respondents in a Colby College poll said they would vote for Collins, compared to 43 percent who said they would support Sara Gideon, the speaker of the Maine House of Representatives and the front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

"The results indicate this could be the kind of race Sen. Collins has not had to deal with before," Dan Shea, a Colby College professor of government and the lead researcher on the poll, said in a statement while caveating that "there’s a long way to go."

The poll, which has a 3 percentage-point margin of error, included surveys with 1,008 registered Maine voters, 70 percent of which were conducted online, that took place between Feb. 10 and Feb. 13.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/483 ... challenger
The titular Mama June enjoys a Corn Dog on 4th of July! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Town Hall with (or without) Senator Susan Collins
It’s been over 20 years since Senator Collins held an open town hall. In the midst of a Congressional Recess in February, what is more important than meeting with and listening to the Mainers she works for in a public, open setting? Senator, it’s time. Please join fellow Mainers at a town hall meeting with (or without) Senator Susan Collins in Portland and listen to their priorities, their values, and their questions about Senator Collins' work in Washington, D.C.

This event is FREE and open to the public. RSVP strongly recommended to ensure a seat. Learn more and RSVP for this non-partisan policy discussion: https://www.townhallmaine.org/ Facebook event page: http://bit.ly/FBTownHallME Not a Portland Public Library endorsed event
Can’t go, washing my hair. (She didn’t show last time, in August 2019.)
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Collins is the most disliked Senator in the country in her home state. So this poll shows the power of incumbency. Sara Gideon should be 5-7% ahead.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

I do wish that Gideon would remind voters that Collins promised to serve only two terms when she first ran for the Senate...in 1996.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

@SaraGideon
BREAKING: A new poll shows our campaign leading against Senator Susan Collins BY FOUR POINTS.

We can win this race and replace her in the Senate this November—but we need your help to do it:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I just donated to Sara Gideon! Yay!
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'm very concerned......

Not
Maine Sen. Susan Collins (R) has seen a dip in her approval rating statewide, according to a new poll.

The Maine senator continues to be a top target for Democrats in the fall.

A survey released Monday by the Bangor Daily News found that just 37 percent of voters in the state approve of the job she has done as senator, compared with 52 percent who said they disapproved
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/theh ... aine_poll/

Sterngard Friegen

I bet she's disappointed.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:violin:

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Maybe she has learned her lesson.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Thoughts ‘n prayers.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm
I bet she's disappointed.
No, she's concerned. You can tell by the furrowed brow.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Turtle wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:32 pm
Maybe she has learned her lesson.
I wish I had a ha'penny for every time I've heard that.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

The local evening news is packed with Sara and Susan ads. Back-to-back-to-back. Each with the amazing things she’s done for Maine.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Return to “U.S. Senate Elections”