And if he dies?

Gregg

And if he dies?

Post by Gregg »

Okay, Lawyers, what happens if he dies to the election.

Can electors cast votes for a dead man? Can he win? What happens if he does?

Can the Republicans replace him? That's tough because a lot of ballots are out already.

I really wanna know. Because if Pence can collect all the votes cast for Trump, I can see a lot of Republicans who couldn't hold their nose being a lot more willing to vote for him if he's dead and its a vote for Pence.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky
RVInit

Re: And if he dies?

Post by RVInit »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:45 pm Okay, Lawyers, what happens if he dies to the election.

Can the Republicans replace him? That's tough because a lot of ballots are out already.

I really wanna know. Because if Pence can collect all the votes cast for Trump, I can see a lot of Republicans who couldn't hold their nose being a lot more willing to vote for him if he's dead and its a vote for Pence.
That is a horrifying thought.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Gregg wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:45 pm Okay, Lawyers, what happens if he dies to the election.

If a nominee dies before the election, the rules vary by state. But, generally speaking, it is too late to put someone else on the ballot because ballots have gone to the printer. Hell, many ballots already have been completed and returned.

Whether someone else could be written in on Election Day also varies by state.

"Thanks" to the Electoral College, the election is technically for a slate of electors, and not the nominee. Under the GOP rules, if the nominee dies before the Electoral College votes, the electors are to vote for the vice-presidential nominee. (In theory, the GOP could change its rules, but I doubt it will.) And, thanks to SCOTUS, "faithless electors" are not really a thing anymore.

If the nominee dies after the Electoral College votes but before Congress certifies, in theory Congress should certify the vote for the dead nominee.

The real-world answer is that Pence liekly will absorb the votes under whatever scenario. And rise or fall, as the electoral votes dictate.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek2:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
much ado

Post by much ado »

May you live in interesting times.
bob

Post by bob »

And, if the impeached president dies, Pence (as president) would then nominate a replacement vice-president, who would have to be confirmed by both chambers.

Presumably, if there's a pre-inauguration death, Pence would simply wait until after the inauguration to name the vice-president nominee.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

1. If the nominee dies before the election the party chooses a new nominee. Since we are really voting for electors the new nominee would get the electoral votes if the deceased nominee won a state.
  2. If the nominee dies after the election but before the Electoral College votes in December the same rules apply. Parties would assume their electors would vote for the new nominee. Some states bind them by law to vote that way.
  3. If president elect dies after the electors vote but before the new Congress counts the vote it's a little fuzzy. It would fall to Congress to decide if the rules for presidential succession applied and the vice president elect would become president elect. However, the House could decide the presidential election as if it were a disputed election.
  4. If the president elect dies after the Congress certifies the electoral vote in early January the vice president elect would become the president elect and would be sworn in and the VP office would be vacant until a new VP is chosen by procedures specified in the 25th Amendment. The president nominates someone and he or she has to be approved by a majority of both houses of Congress.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, but Biden is going to be the next president, so no worries. :pray:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If he dies, he can't go to prison :boxing:
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'd like Trump to know the results of the 2020 election. The count won't take that long.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

The odds of Trump succumbing to Covid-19 are about 1 in 25 for his age group based on national statistics. Since he will have the best health care available that might improve the odds but other factors work against him such as obesity. I don't think the odds take into account the pure evil permeates his body.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Assume Trump passes away this week and Pence becomes President. What will happen to the Never Trumpers? The folks behind the Lincoln Project? A lot of Republicans hate Trump, but will they wage a war against Pence? Or will they salivate at a non-Trump Republican being President?
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Many people are asking if Mother snuck into the White House tonight and was caught measuring the drapes. :lol:
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm Assume Trump passes away this week and Pence becomes President. What will happen to the Never Trumpers? The folks behind the Lincoln Project? A lot of Republicans hate Trump, but will they wage a war against Pence? Or will they salivate at a non-Trump Republican being President?
I have listened to a few of their podcasts. They are against what the Republican Party has become and want to see them lose across the board. They would not support Pence.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:23 pm Many people are asking if Mother snuck into the White House tonight and was caught measuring the drapes. :lol:
Image Image Image Image Image
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm Assume Trump passes away this week and Pence becomes President. What will happen to the Never Trumpers? The folks behind the Lincoln Project? A lot of Republicans hate Trump, but will they wage a war against Pence? Or will they salivate at a non-Trump Republican being President?
The LP is not just against Trump, but his enablers as well. This includes everyone in the Senate who didn't vote to remove him. And the ones who will pretend they never supported Trump while they launch their 2024 presidential campaigns. This because Trumpists who are politically savvy are going to be more dangerous than Trump himself. We are probably looking at a 1 party system (with national strength) for the next 5-10 years.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

That is what worries me. I don't want him dead or in a coma, I want him dead man walking and refusing to step aside or let them implement the 25th. I want him to live a long and healthy life - in prison.
bring out the tumbrils. I am so fucking filled with pain and anger at what is going on in this country. I do deeply believe that if trump somehow retains power it will be the end of democracy in this country and the end of this country as we know it.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

:yeah:
ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Post by Lani »

If he recovers, he's likely to have heart, lung & brain damage.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:16 pm If he recovers, he's likely to have heart, lung & brain damage.
Who would notice the brain damage?
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 pm
Lani wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:16 pm If he recovers, he's likely to have heart, lung & brain damage.
Who would notice the brain damage?
I should have said more brain damage.
Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

At least his soul is safe from COVID
He sold that decades ago..
Lani

Post by Lani »

This is why I wrote above that 45 isn't going to get well.
The coronavirus was found to infect and inflict serious damage to the vascular endothelium — the single layer of cells that line the blood vessels of organs such as our brain, kidneys, heart and lungs. Coronavirus patients also have a much higher likelihood of experiencing clots in these blood vessels.

The vascular component of covid-19 may help explain a number of previously puzzling aspects of the illness, including “long-haulers syndrome," wherein patients struggle with severe symptoms such as brain fog, trouble breathing, fatigue, aches, hair loss and elevated heart rate months after clearing viral infection.

If covid-19′s vascular effects are widespread, the more than 20 million patients who have “recovered” could be living with serious damage to their blood vessels. That could unleash a global surge in vascular diseases, from stroke and atherosclerosis to myocarditis and heart attack.

Consider a recent study published in JAMA Cardiology, which looked at 100 patients who had recently recovered from covid-19. The researchers found some form of heart abnormality in 78 of these cases and detected an inflammation of the heart muscle in 60, despite the lack of a relevant preexisting condition.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -covid-19/

This is also why 45 & the GOP are evil fuckers. Over 2.5 million Americans are now likely to have a serious pre-existing condition caused by covid19.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Two stories about this:
kiki Ottenberg @KikiOttenberg 2h
.@LarrySabato I’m a former student of yours & current HS gov teacher whose students ask the best hypotheticals. If Trump for any reason has to be replaced on the ballot—what happens to any early votes that went to him? Would they count towards the R nominee (Pence)? Or not count?

Larry Sabato @LarrySabato 1h
Every state is different. BUT there's no way to reprint all the ballots before Nov. 3. And the electors--for whom we really vote--are PARTY electors. Most electors, maybe all, will vote as directed by the national party committee, for the new POTUS nominee (probably Pence).

Orly Licious @Orly_licious
Replying to @LarrySabato and @KikiOttenberg
This updated story in the Washington Post describes the various scenarios. It was originally a two-part series, but Professor Richard Pildes updated it today. Helpful story and hope it will never be necessary.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... s-or-dies/

From our pal Garrett Graff:
Orly Licious @Orly_licious
Outstanding, complex story by @vermontgmg: "The Real Nightmare Scenario: A Sick Mike Pence" "Cheney himself figured out the 1st problem in the 25th Amendment: Literally no mechanism for removing an incapacitated vice president from the line of succession."

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ick-425329

Here are some pix of the Presidential area at Walter Reed:

Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]

Return to “Presidential Election”