Election Day Nov 3, 2020

GreatGrey

Re: Election Day Nov 3, 2020

Post by GreatGrey »

Dan1100 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:59 pm For the sake of completeness

drumpf.jpeg

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Holy Shit. Here is one of the canvassers talking to the two Republican canvassers that originally refused to cerfify. OUCH. This guy is my new hero.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Love seeing Donald and Republicans look like fools (again). What the hell happened up there? And why is it 2-2 in Wayne County and statewide? Seems like a recipe for fuc*ery.

In abrupt reversal, Michigan’s largest county certifies election results
Allies of President Donald Trump had celebrated the initial deadlock in Wayne County, even though the dispute was highly unlikely to alter the outcome of the election.
By KYLE CHENEY and ZACH MONTELLARO 11/17/2020 08:28 PM EST Updated: 11/17/2020 09:47 PM EST

Election officials in Michigan’s largest county abruptly reversed course on Tuesday night and certified the presidential election results, with Republican members of the board backtracking after initially blocking the decision. The two Republicans on the four-member Wayne County board of canvassers — charged with validating the vote count — initially opposed certification and raised questions about mismatches between the totals submitted by local precincts and the final canvass. Less than two hours later, the Republicans joined their Democratic colleagues to unanimously certify the tally from the county, which includes Detroit, and called for Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson to audit the mismatched precincts.

The board’s reversal quickly undercut celebrations among Trump allies who called the board’s initial 2-2 deadlock against certifying the results the beginning of a potential chain reaction that could flip the state into the president’s column — even though Joe Biden leads by more than 145,000 votes. The board’s certification vote occurred just moments after Trump himself celebrated the initial vote with a tweet that praised the Republican canvassers’ “courage” for halting the certification. “Wow! Michigan just refused to certify the election results! Having courage is a beautiful thing. The USA stands proud!” Trump tweeted, erroneously saying the whole state had not certified results. Trump continued to celebrate, even after the board had voted to certify. Other Republicans had embraced the board’s initial ruling, as well, with state GOP officials saying they were “proud” of the delay in certification and Trump’s campaign describing it as an opportunity to overturn the state’s election results.

Democrats had lashed out at the two Republican canvassers, Monica Palmer and William Hartmann, for what they described as a purely political decision to delay Wayne County’s certification. Top Democrats in Michigan noted that the decision would have had the effect of upending the votes in Michigan’s largest African-American communities, and others said it was simply a partisan effort to shore up the Trump campaign’s false claims of widespread fraud. “In refusing to approve the results of the election in Wayne County, the two Republican members of the Wayne County Board of Canvassers have placed partisan politics above their legal duty to certify the election results,” Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in a statement. Even before the board made its about-face, Michigan election authorities downplayed the significance of the deadlock, noting that the matter would simply move to the state canvassing board.

Benson, the secretary of state, added that similar circumstances had arisen in previous elections, with disputed canvassing results sent to the state level for recanvassing. “It is common for some precincts in Michigan and across the country to be out of balance by a small number of votes, especially when turnout is high,” Benson, a Democrat, said in a statement. She stressed that the county board’s decision “is not an indication that any votes were improperly cast or counted.” Yet Trump allies had characterized the county-level dispute as a significant victory for the president’s effort to throw out results in states poised to send Biden to the White House, and they said the development could trigger a spate of draconian, highly unlikely maneuvers to put the state’s 16 electoral votes in Trump’s column. For example, Trump campaign counsel Jenna Ellis said that if the vote wasn’t certified at the state-level later this month, Republican state lawmakers would instead select which slate of electors — Trump’s or Biden’s — would cast Michigan’s votes for president.

But this far-fetched scenario, which Trump allies have floated for weeks, ran into roadblocks just hours earlier. Michigan Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, a Republican, rejected the premise outright earlier in the day on Tuesday. He told Bridge Michigan “that’s not going to happen” when asked about the possibility of the legislature selecting electors. “We are going to follow the law and follow the process,” he said. “I do believe there’s reason to go slow and deliberate as we evaluate the allegations that have been raised.” The state board of canvassers is scheduled to meet Wednesday afternoon.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/1 ... ion-437181

Avatar: LDIT's Court FAILS. Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring titular Mama June returns 3/21. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

:lol:
Screenshot_20201117_190957.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image Image Image
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Charles Ghoul-ba
@charles_gaba
Holy Shit...I just realized:

Detroit population = 673,000
Wayne County total population = 1,749,000
Detroit = 39% of the total Wayne County population

The rest of Wayne County = 61% of the total population.

She only wanted 3/5ths of the vote to count.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Zing!!! :clap:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Did anyone hear if the Trump campaign ponied up the money for a recount in Wisconsin?

I’ve searched for news this morning and found nothing.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

I think they have until 5PM today.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:30 am I think they have until 5PM today.
:doh: I think you are correct. They finished the canvass yesterday.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I'm 100% down with letting "Normal Scrutiny Rudy" make this decision, in keeping with his masterful work coordinating and directing the strategy to overturn the recent election.

:thumbs:

I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 am Did anyone hear if the Trump campaign ponied up the money for a recount in Wisconsin?

Does anyone know if they have to come up with cash or can they post a surety bond of some kind?

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 am
Reality Check wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:38 am Did anyone hear if the Trump campaign ponied up the money for a recount in Wisconsin?

Does anyone know if they have to come up with cash or can they post a surety bond of some kind?
In the 2008 election for US Senator that Al Franken won, the Minnesota GOP demanded a recount, which they were then on the hook for. The costs of the recount, plus endemic financial mismanagement of the party's funds (IIRC, one of the former state GOP party treasurers was charged with embezzlement at the firm he worked for), put the party into near-bankruptcy. Among other results of that financial pinch, they fell behind on their office rent payments and were evicted from their party headquarters by their landlord.

The GOP, who has managed to convince the voters of this country that they're the party of fiscal responsibility, has such an extensive history of financial mismanagement it's not even amusing. And thus, if I were Wisconsin, I'd demand the cash upfront.

I've heard this bull before.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:28 am
This article only mentions cash up front but they can ask for specific county recounts to lower the cost.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/election ... story.html

tencats

Post by tencats »

Pres. Trump to file for partial vote recount in Wisconsin
By FOX6 News Digital Team
Published 1 hour ago | https://www.fox9.com/news/president-tru ... in-recount
MADISON, Wis. - President Donald Trump faces a deadline Wednesday to file for a recount in Wisconsin -- and according to a tweet posted on Wednesday morning by John Roberts of FOX News, the president will be filing for that recount in the Badger State -- but it WILL NOT be statewide. Instead, there will be a partial recount in several key counties.
:snippity:
If he wants a statewide recount, Trump will have to pay $7.9 million up front. He can also request recounts only in certain counties, which would reduce the cost.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Would anyone wish to guess the demographics of those counties? :-

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Georgia SOS giving a presser now.

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

I find it amazing that Trump who extols that he has done more for Blacks than anyone of earth is laser focused in challenging those counties that, by mere coincidence happen to have a large Black populations, to dismiss/invalid those same votes that based on mere allegations of fraud. Why would a self proclaimed champion of Blacks be doing such a heinous act.

tencats

Post by tencats »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 am Would anyone wish to guess the demographics of those counties? :-
Me thinks Dane & Milwaukee counties.

Read this.
Wisconsin, like many other states, saw an influx of mail-in ballots cast as people chose to stay at home rather than risk exposure to coronavirus. Due to the pandemic, Dane & Milwaukee counties encouraged people to register for absentee voting in the spring. Officials argued if you were sheltering in place due to the pandemic, you could qualify as “indefinitely confined”.

Wisconsin’s Republican Party took issue with these new rules, and ended up taking it to the state Supreme Court. The courts ended up ruling in the Republican’s favor, claiming people were not “indefinitely confined” just for following the stay-at-home orders in place at the time. However, the state still allowed people to call themselves “indefinitely confined” with no evidence. However, they still required ID to get a ballot.

No ID? No problem

However, a Dane County clerk made the mistake of saying people could request an absentee ballot without any form of ID. Considering that’s illegal, many Republicans were up in arms about the statement. The County Clerks’ office tried to walk back, clarifying they meant people who were “indefinitely confined” didn’t need ID to get a ballot.

Although the state Supreme Court ruled COVID-19 didn’t automatically make someone “indefinitely confined”, Dane County declared people who wanted to vote absentee still had to present ID no matter what. However, the county allowed people who wanted to vote from home because of the pandemic to do so, as long as they had valid ID when they registered. https://filmdaily.co/news/wisconsin-election-results/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

:roll: All Michigan counties have certified their votes. Trump lost bigly.
Rep. Don Beyer
@RepDonBeyer
·
30m
Honestly, this is so ridiculous. Anyone can look for themselves and see that Wayne County, Michigan, certified 878,102 votes for president out of 1.4 million registered to vote. You are making an embarrassing spectacle of yourself.
Quote Tweet
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
· 35m
In Detroit, there are FAR MORE VOTES THAN PEOPLE. Nothing can be done to cure that giant scam. I win Michigan!

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

A waste of $3 million.
NBC News
@NBCNews
·
13m
NEW: Trump campaign is requesting partial recount in two Wisconsin counties that Joe Biden won by large margins; campaign has to pay the costs.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... d_nn_tw_ma
The Trump campaign said Wednesday it is requesting a partial recount in Wisconsin, where President Donald Trump is trailing Joe Biden by more than 20,000 votes.

The campaign wired $3 million to the Wisconsin Election Commission for the long-shot bid to overturn the results in the state. In a statement, the campaign said it was asking for recounts in Milwaukee and Dane Counties, mostly Democratic areas where Biden defeated Trump by large margins. Biden captured more than 75 percent of the vote in Dane and more than 69 percent of the vote in Milwaukee.

"These two counties were selected because they are the locations of the worst irregularities," the campaign said in a release, charging that they were areas where there were "illegally altered absentee ballots, illegally issued absentee ballots, and illegal advice given by government officials allowing Wisconsin’s Voter ID laws to be circumvented."

The state’s top elections chief and local officials have said there were no reports of widespread problems or wrongdoing in the state.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

It has frequently been the case (this happened in 2016, if memory serves) that Wisconsin recounts result in the winning's margin actually increasing. It would be a safe bet that will happen in Milwaukee and Dane County. I recently remarked - and I was only half-joking - that Trump didn't actually get 9 or 10 percent in Dane County, or whatever the itty bitty number was. More likely, Biden+Jorgensen=100% of the votes, but the Dane County elections people are smart enough to know that winning 100-0 is suspicious, so they pick a number out of a clear blue sky to make it look more credible.

I want to make very clear, before some right-wing hoax site picks it up and runs it, that this remark was made entirely in jest.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

If I recall, in 2016, there was one precinct in Detroit that went 100% for Clinton.

All 125 votes.

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 pm It has frequently been the case (this happened in 2016, if memory serves) that Wisconsin recounts result in the winning's margin actually increasing. It would be a safe bet that will happen in Milwaukee and Dane County. I recently remarked - and I was only half-joking - that Trump didn't actually get 9 or 10 percent in Dane County, or whatever the itty bitty number was. More likely, Biden+Jorgensen=100% of the votes, but the Dane County elections people are smart enough to know that winning 100-0 is suspicious, so they pick a number out of a clear blue sky to make it look more credible.

I want to make very clear, before some right-wing hoax site picks it up and runs it, that this remark was made entirely in jest.
Those RWNJ sites are notorious cherry-pickers. They would simply ignore your last sentence, as they do anything that does not appear to reinforce their lies.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Marc E. Elias
@marceelias
·
15s
Police cars revolving lightBREAKING: All 152 counties in Georgia have completed their hand recount--ahead of the SOS imposed schedule.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

speculative thoughts by a UK blogger

Return to “Presidential Election”