Andrew Cuomo, New York Governor and New Media Star

Sterngard Friegen

Andrew Cuomo, New York Governor and New Media Star

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Well, as if 24+ candidates weren't enough, and a long slog through many frustrating debates and then an almost clean sweep of the primaries, it looks as if the Democratic nominee will be . . .

ANDREW CUOMO, 56th Governor of the State of New York.

He's young, too. A mere slip of a lad at 62. And the newest media star of the novel coronavirus age.

I'm not sure if it's going to happen, but after Joe Biden's stumbles, and the latest charges against him, we at least need a thread for Cuomo.

Addie

Re: Andrew Cuomo, New York Governor and New Media Star

Post by Addie »

Governor.ny.gov: Governor Cuomo Announces Significant Donations to Help Increase The State's Supply Capacity Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

June bug

Post by June bug »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 pm
Well, as if 24+ candidates weren't enough, and a long slog through many frustrating debates and then an almost clean sweep of the primaries, it looks as if the Democratic nominee will be . . .

ANDREW CUOMO, 56th Governor of the State of New York.

He's young, too. A mere slip of a lad at 62. And the newest media star of the novel coronavirus age.

I'm not sure if it's going to happen, but after Joe Biden's stumbles, and the latest charges against him, we at least need a thread for Cuomo.
IMHO: Not.going.to.happen.
OTOH: Joe may now be regretting he publicly committed to a female V.P. nominee.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Does anyone know what time Cuomo holds his daily briefing? I'd like to see it live streamed. I found one reference to 11:30am ET, so 5:30 for me. For my mental health, I'm going to watch his briefings and turn off the tv whenever the orange madman is shown.

If you're feeling a little odd for watching the briefs, as I do, here's an article that I thought gave a plausible reason why so many people want to watch the briefings.

Andrew Cuomo’s Daily Press Briefing Is the Most Important Show on TV
https://www.vulture.com/2020/03/andrew- ... at-tv.html

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Lani wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:23 am
Does anyone know what time Cuomo holds his daily briefing? I'd like to see it live streamed. I found one reference to 11:30am ET, so 5:30 for me. For my mental health, I'm going to watch his briefings and turn off the tv whenever the orange madman is shown.

If you're feeling a little odd for watching the briefs, as I do, here's an article that I thought gave a plausible reason why so many people want to watch the briefings.

He has an 8am Eastern time Saturday in Albany.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/schedule

I don't know how they stream them but I imagine a link will be there in the morning.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Thanks! That's 2 am.... which will be great if I have insomnia! :yawn:
On the link you provided I found videos! Heartfelt statement to the National Guard on Friday, too. https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/eXI8RjTF2k

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Daily News Editorial
Cuomo and 2020: In another era, New York’s governor would be his party’s nominee

June 27, 1932, was the opening day of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, and party bigs still hadn’t decided who they would nominate to take on and beat Herbert Hoover, who was busy digging America deeper into the Great Depression. Party insiders had to decide between two New York governors, Al Smith and FDR. They picked Roosevelt. The rest is happily history.

Other New York governors have since sought the top job and perhaps, in this upside-down world, the current one might too. Worse things could happen.

We’ve had many disagreements with Andrew Cuomo over the years — calling him “a real piece of work” in endorsing him for a third term — but in his calm, competent, commanding and compassionate performance these past few weeks, he has shown America what crisis leadership should look like. And created a crystal clear contrast with the confused, divisive, impulsive, vindictive, ill-informed Donald Trump.

If things still worked the way they did back in the 1930s, even into the 1960s, Cuomo would absolutely be the Democratic Party’s pick this year. ...

Of course, things don’t work the way they once did. For better and worse, mostly better, voters decide, not insiders.

Before the roof caved in, voters chose Joe Biden, whose public pronouncements are also confidence-inspiring compared to Trump’s.

Biden has the delegates. Does he have the mandate?
Adding:
New York Times: Trump Backtracks After Cuomo Criticizes Quarantine Idea

Gov. Andrew Cuomo compared the president’s suggestion that he was considering a quarantine on the New York region to “a declaration of war on states.”
NPR: FACT CHECK: N.Y. Governor Slams Trump Ventilator Claim As 'Ignorant' And 'Uninformed'
CNN - Harry Enten: The surprising rise of Andrew Cuomo
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

He started today around 9AM Pacific today, I think that's his regular time.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Videos here: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news
Scroll down for full list.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lani wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:23 am

Cuomo's pressers start between 11 AM EST an 12 noon EST, most often at 11:30. They are all archived if you miss them.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I watch Cuomo's presser every day. If you're old enough to remember his father, Mario, I think he obviously learned great skills from him. After he deals with the facts though, he gives a secular homily every day too: how to deal with fear, anxiety, helplessness, etc. I suspect that oratorical skill may have come from sitting at Sunday Mass, listening to the (rare) priest who could speak to those emotions that are so prevalent in times of great distress.

Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is. Maybe it's just that we've been so used to listening to a Malignant Narcissist who can barely read. But I don't think so.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

Speaking of Gov. Mario Cuomo, his 1984 convention speech:

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - (VIDEO)
Andrew Cuomo during the covid-19 crisis is the same as ever, with one big difference: People like him

One odd side effect of covid-19 has been what it does to taste. Even those who have avoided the illness enjoy things they once disliked: Government spending. Facetiming with family.

Andrew M. Cuomo.

The governor of New York’s morning news conferences have become part of the country’s new daily rhythm. He is broadcast live from the wood-paneled Red Room of the state capitol building or New York City’s convention center — a leader in a polo shirt or neatly knotted tie, projecting competence to go along with the PowerPoint projection of hard truths. And to the surprise of anyone who has watched his State of the State, it’s must-see television.

First come the facts. In a matter of days, there are no cases, then 30,000 cases, then nearly 45,000 cases in New York state. “That’s a problem,” he says. They are running out of beds and ventilators. He doesn’t shy away from that. “That’s a challenge.” He pauses.

“Take a breath,” he says, and when he starts to talk again it is the revival portion of the meeting. There are moving stories about New York, his mother, his father and all of humanity. The density of the state — its “closeness,” he says — is its vulnerability in this moment. But it is also what will get it through. He is talking to New York but the whole country is listening to the Cuomo Monologues: part briefing, part sermon, part inspirational talk.

Addie

Post by Addie »

USA Today: 'We've sent them a lot of stuff.' Trump says federal help to NY partly why Gov. Cuomo has high poll numbers

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Simply singly track mind of the Apprentice tv show star - viewer numbers. :blackeye:

Addie

Post by Addie »

ABC News: 'Draft Cuomo 2020' groundswell emerges amid the New York governor's coronavirus response

Supporters wonder if a Cuomo presidential candidacy is possible.

As the number of Americans impacted by the deadly coronavirus continues to climb, some voters looking for decisive action are turning to state leaders for guidance– chief among them, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, whose daily press conferences and emphatic communication style has gradually captivated audiences across the nation over the last month.

The spotlight on Cuomo comes at a critical time for Democrats looking for tangible leadership in the primary season. With former Vice President Joe Biden confined to offering somewhat limited communication from his home studio, Cuomo appears as a fiery option for Democrats who perceive President Trump's response to the coronavirus crisis as slow and inadequate.

Ardent supporters of Cuomo are seeking to plant presidential seeds online by launching a “Draft Cuomo 2020” Twitter account, and launching a Change.Org petition that calls the governor “a perfect foil to President Trump” and declares, “after COVID19 crisis, Gov. Cuomo should be considered for VP or drafted as the nominee.”

Recent polling also boosted the optics of Cuomo's favorability amid the crisis. According to a poll conducted by Siena College 87% of New Yorkers approve of the governor’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, while 41% approve of President Trump’s handling of the same issue.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Cuomo bringing his brother in by video chat was great.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Jeffrey wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 am
Cuomo bringing his brother in by video chat was great.
The interviews are brilliant! OTOH, what time did he start this morning? I missed most of it, I'll have to watch it on rerun. I'd love to see him run for President, but I think he can't until the crisis is over in NY. Until then, Trump can destroy NY if he gets pissed. Cuomo's being nice to save his state.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

When this is all over, I :daydream: for a live stream of a Cuomo family dinner.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

YESSSSS

Return to “Presidential Election”