Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms
2%
Other
1%

Total votes: 83

bob

Re: Vice President Timing/Picks - Joseph Biden 2020 - Now 3/20 With Poll

Post by bob »

538: How Will Biden Choose His Running Mate?

The answer, of course: "it depends" on what is perceived as valuable in a running mate. 538 considered electability, demographics, ideology, and the Senate. Its conclusions:
Kamala Harris: three positives, no negatives.
Stacey Abrams: two positives, no negatives.
Tammy Duckworth: two positives, no negatives.
Amy Klobuchar: one positive, two negatives.
Elizabeth Warren: one positive, three negatives.
Also considered were Tammy Baldwin, Michelle Grisham, Gretchen Whitmer, and Catherine Cortez Masto.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
kate520

Post by kate520 »

Oops. I voted for someone not in the poll.

I like Tammy Duckworth but I voted for Baldwin.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Claire McCaskill
Former United States Senator

Was mentioned kind of in jest on Deadline Whitehouse. I do love it when she's on MSNBC panels.
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I think it will be Kamala Harris, but if it's not I want her to be AG. To prosecute all the criminals from the Trump Administration who enabled Trump and who helped cause hundreds of thousands (as it will unfortunately be) to die needlessly because of Trump's idiocy.

Amy Klobuchar would also be a good AG choice. As would be Stacey Abrams or Letitia James.
bob

Post by bob »

538:
The Fox News survey found that Biden’s support was similar with three different running mates. A Biden ticket with Sen. Kamala Harris led Trump and Vice President Mike Pence 50 percent to 42 percent, Biden and Sen. Amy Klobuchar led 50-42, and Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren led 52-42.
I couldn't find the original survey, but interesting that Biden/Warren slightly outperformed Biden/Harris and Biden/Klobuchar. And also (but less) interesting that the margin was relatively small, i.e., running mate doesn't matter all that much.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Aaron Blake has an article at the Washington Post - The 11 most logical picks for Joe Biden’s vice president, ranked.

His list -

1) Kamala D. Harris
2) Amy Klobuchar
3) Gretchen Whitmer
4) Elizabeth Warren
5) Tammy Baldwin
6) Catherine Cortez Masto
7) Val Demings
8) Tammy Duckworth
9) Stacey Abrams
10) Michelle Lujan Grisham
11) Susan E. Rice
Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
kate520

Post by kate520 »

#7 Val Demings

From ‘who’s that’ to ‘oh, her’ in a google minit. :lol: She needs a little more seasoning but I like her.

I’d like to see any of these women in his admin if they aren’t his VP pick.

Susan Rice would make the MAGATs crazy(er than usual). :kiss:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm good with any of them.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Stacey Abrams said on a podcast recently she would be honored and quite willing to be his VP pick.

I still am interested in Sally Yates as a contender. She's super smart, extremely articulate, telegenic, has a great southern lilt accent, and she would also drive the MAGA crowd nuts.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

I like the idea of Sen, Tammy Duckworth for VP. Decorated combat vet. Disabled vet. Progressive. Outspoken. Known for calling people on their bullshit. Woman of Color.

The two drawbacks
1) New parent
2) Her birth in Thailand to a US Citizen working for the United Nations and married to a Thai woman. While I know that make her a natural born US citizen, expect the birtherstani to rise from their graves and once again attempt to feast upon the brains of the sane.
bob

Post by bob »

PatGund wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pmWhile I know that make her a natural born US citizen, expect the birtherstani to rise from their graves and once again attempt to feast upon the brains of the sane.
Harris too (also) has this "problem." Obviously, this kind of birtherism won't affect very many (most people are going to vote for or against Biden regardless).

But it is the kind of dog-whistle racism that is meant to rally the impeached president's base.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Poll: Voters prioritize experienced VP for Biden over gender, race

Two-thirds of registered voters and 4 out of 5 Democrats say it's important for Joe Biden to pick a running mate with governing experience.

Voters overwhelmingly want to see Joe Biden choose a vice presidential nominee with governing experience, and they’re far less invested in whether he chooses a woman or a person of color as his running mate, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday.

The survey — conducted just after Bernie Sanders dropped out of the 2020 presidential race, making Biden the Democrats’ presumptive presidential nominee — found that about two-thirds of voters said it was important Biden choose a running mate with legislative and executive experience. While Biden has vowed to select a woman to join him on the ticket, only 29 percent of voters said it was important for Biden to choose a woman, while 22 percent said it was important that he choose a person of color.

Among Democrats, about 8 in 10 said it was important that Biden’s vice-presidential selection have legislative and executive experience. Meanwhile, about half of Democrats said it’s important for Biden’s running mate to be younger than him (77 years old) and for his pick to be a woman. Fewer Democrats say it’s significant that they be more liberal than Biden (41 percent), a person of color (36 percent) or religious (31 percent).

“While former 2020 candidates have an advantage in name ID, voters place a premium on executive and legislative experience for the Democratic vice-presidential pick," said Tyler Sinclair, Morning Consult vice president. “This experience is top of mind for voters amid this pandemic, as seen in the high approval ratings for their governors.” ...

The survey of 1,990 registered voters was conducted April 10-12 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points. The subsamples have higher margins of error.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

PatGund wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pm I like the idea of Sen, Tammy Duckworth for VP. Decorated combat vet. Disabled vet. Progressive. Outspoken. Known for calling people on their bullshit. Woman of Color.

The two drawbacks
1) New parent
2) Her birth in Thailand to a US Citizen working for the United Nations and married to a Thai woman. While I know that make her a natural born US citizen, expect the birtherstani to rise from their graves and once again attempt to feast upon the brains of the sane.
I hadn't given Senator Duckworth much thought until today. She's a fine human being. Not so sure about executive experience (that Senator from Illinois thing).

After reading the poll Addie posted, I still like Sally Yates as a dark horse candidate.

Miss Meh

Post by Miss Meh »

TexasFilly wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:24 am
I hadn't given Senator Duckworth much thought until today. She's a fine human being. Not so sure about executive experience (that Senator from Illinois thing).
She ran the Illinois VA for a few years
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Miss Meh wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:49 pm
Thanks! :thumbs:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Miss Meh wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:49 pm
Does Individual-1 love her as he does other veterans?
tek

Post by tek »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:47 pm Does Individual-1 love her as he does other veterans?
you mean "not at all?"
There's no way back
from there to here
Addie

Post by Addie »

The Hill: Biden says he would pick Michelle Obama as running mate 'in a heartbeat'

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said in a new interview that he would have no hesitation picking former first lady Michelle Obama to be his running mate, but added that he doubts she is interested in the position.

“I’d take her in a heartbeat,” Biden told Pittsburgh’s KDKA on Monday when asked if he’d choose Obama if she said she would be willing to be on the ticket with him. “She’s brilliant. She knows the way around. She is a really fine woman. The Obamas are great friends,” Biden added.

Biden, however, said that he doesn’t think she is interested in the position. “I don’t think she has any desire to live near the White House again,” he said.

Biden said he’s still in the process of deciding whom to pick. He again committed that his running mate will be a woman, but did not commit that his running mate will be a woman of color. “I’ll commit to that [it will] be a woman because it is very important that my administration look like the public, look like the nation. And there will be, committed that there will be a woman of color on the Supreme Court, that doesn’t mean there won’t be a (woman of color) vice president, as well,” Biden said.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I'm not up on the possibilities for VP or cabinet positions, but I'm confident anyone Sleepy Joe picks is gonna be light years and more better than Pence, Barr, Zinke, DeVos, Carson, any of 'em. Individual-1 has highlighted how critical it is to have ethical leaders in those positions and to have some idea who they're going to be.
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Moving right along...
Kamala emerges as early Biden VP favorite as sting of debate attack fades
At the vetting process gets underway, major Biden supporters see her as the best fit, though Warren is a leading contender, too.
By CHRISTOPHER CADELAGO and NATASHA KORECKI 05/10/2020 10:53 PM EDT Updated: 05/10/2020 11:09 PM EDT

Kamala Harris was written off as a possible vice presidential pick for Joe Biden last year after a cutting debate performance where she seemed to suggest he was racially insensitive. Now, Harris is not only in top contention, but Biden aides, surrogates and major donors see her as the best fit at the onset of the process — at least on paper — to join him atop the Democratic ticket. Biden’s campaign has formally started vetting a group of prospects that includes roughly a dozen women. But in interviews, more than two dozen Democrats, including advisers, allies and donors aligned with Biden, returned to Harris as an early frontrunner. Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, the favorite among progressives, was also seen as rising above the pack. Biden and his family were stung by the June debate exchange over his record on school busing. The attack was particularly hurtful because of Harris’ bond with Biden’s late son Beau, also a one-time state attorney general. But Biden and others close to him have come to view Harris’ debate knockdown as part of the rough and tumble of presidential campaigning.

Even before Harris ended her own campaign last year, aides said she and Biden were already stealing warm moments together. And friends of former second lady Jill Biden — who as recently as March described Harris’ attack as a “punch to the gut” — said they’ve mulled ways for her to telegraph that it wasn’t a deal breaker for the California senator’s chances, perhaps by sharing her posts on social media. “I believe strongly that people make mistakes when they allow the heat of a political campaign and things said during a contest to define you,” Rep. Jim Clyburn told POLITICO. “We’re at a point now where whoever was part of the scrimmage needs to be on the same team. And I think they are. “Joe Biden is a big boy,” Clyburn added. “I’ve never seen Joe have any animus toward Kamala for what may have been said during the campaign.” Biden and Harris have spoken privately several times, and a growing contingent of operatives inside and around the presumptive Democratic nominee’s campaign have been making it clear they want her as his pick. Influential donors are joining in the push, seeing the daughter of immigrants from India and Jamaica as the most logical choice to balance a ticket led by a white man in his late 70s. Some of the party’s biggest benefactors, including those who went months rarely hearing from Harris, said they have seen an uptick in contacts from her and people on her behalf. “She really is a standout in terms of keeping [Democrats] together and keeping donors warm,” a Biden bundler said of Harris’ operation. “She doesn’t need to do a full-court press, and it would probably be seen as unseemly for her.”

Harris has adopted a less-is-more approach to the veepstakes. She appeared at fundraisers and a town hall for Biden in late April. While she waited until after Super Tuesday to endorse him, her announcement of support in Michigan, timed to coincide with Cory Booker’s, served to act as a power boost at a time when the Biden campaign was looking to close out its lead against Bernie Sanders. Michigan was viewed as pivotal to Sanders’ campaign remaining viable at that point. Harris has since started to issue other endorsements of her own and raised money for other Democrats running in contested elections. “Clearly, she is out there and being supportive of Joe, but she is coming at it from a position of strength,” the donor added. “She has continued to prove herself as a team player for Joe, a team player for Senate Democrats and that’s going to benefit her regardless of whether she’s picked for VP.”

Other names being advanced for the job include Sens. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada; Florida Rep. Val Demings; Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer; former national security adviser Susan Rice; and Georgia Democrat Stacey Abrams, a former state House Democratic leader who narrowly lost a race for governor in 2018. Warren’s supporters are pitching her inside Biden’s camp as a governing choice who could unite the party by exciting liberals and younger voters while bringing to bear her skills as a small-dollar fundraiser. Harris’ allies and donors point to her comparative youth, her ability to energize voters of color in key states and what they believe would be a seamless rapport between her and Biden, with little ideological daylight. “I would be disappointed if Kamala Harris isn’t chosen. She deserves to be chosen,” said Bakari Sellers, a South Carolina Democrat and a top surrogate for Harris on her campaign. Inside Biden’s operation, Sellers said, “a lot of people are pushing for her. She has a lot of support.”
Before the debate in Miami, Biden and Harris got to know each other through Beau, who died of brain cancer in 2015 at age 46. The following year, Biden, along with President Barack Obama, endorsed Harris for Senate over another Democrat ahead of the party’s national convention. After Biden swore her in to the Senate early the next year, Harris suggested they get together for regular coffees. The meetings didn’t happen, but there were seemingly chance encounters on the street and at train stations that staffers captured for social media, fueling speculation from supporters about their possible future together. The first debate tested their connection, and soured Harris among some key Biden advisers and top donors. Biden in interviews offered explanations for why he was caught so flat-footed. He said he was prepared for questions about his record, but not in the way Harris did. “She knew Beau. She knows me,” he told CNN last summer. “It was personal to her, because of Kamala and Beau’s relationship. She was caught off guard, they both were,” one Biden adviser said of Jill Biden’s reaction. The adviser stressed, however, that Jill Biden has since put it behind her and pointed to the virtual town hall with Biden as one example that the campaign has publicly brought Harris into the fold. People close to Harris said they’ve never heard her express regrets about questioning Biden’s position on busing, which he provided an opening for ahead of the debate by talking about his past work with segregationist colleagues. Sellers, whom Harris will join next week for a talk about his upcoming book, suggested that the aggressiveness with which she questioned Biden would actually be an asset on the ticket. “What I would take from that for choosing a vice president is she’s a really skilled debater,” he said, “and she’d kick Mike Pence’s ass.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/1 ... ite-248615
Avatar: LDIT's Post-election #FAIL record in court. And hey, don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon! Returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
boots

Re: Vice President Timing/Picks - Joseph Biden 2020 - With Poll

Post by boots »

barf
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's an opinion piece by a writer who also stated that Tammy Duckworth is the safest and smartest pick. He's also promoted Warren and Klobuchar.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/d ... e_manual_2
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I am fine with picking anyone who is not under investigation and won't tell us to inject bleach to cure the corona.
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Y'all realize, of course, that if he picks Kamala, Sterngard wins the whole internet. :-
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:wave:

Return to “Presidential Election”