Joe Walsh (R) 2020

Addie

Joe Walsh (R) 2020

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:20 pm

The Hill
Joe Walsh announces Republican challenge to Trump ...

"We've got a guy in the White House who is unfit, completely unfit to be president, and it stuns me that nobody stepped up, nobody in the Republican Party stepped up, because I'll tell you what, George, everybody believes in the Republican party, everybody believes that he's unfit," Walsh told ABC's George Stephanopoulos. "He lies every time he opens his mouth."

Walsh was elected to the House in 2010 as part of the Tea Party wave and served one term. He began as a strong supporter of President Trump but over the past year has emerged as a fierce critic of the president. On Sunday, he apologized for tweets Stephanopoulos described as racist and sexist as well as his "personal" criticism of former President Obama, acknowledging the role it played in creating today's politics.

"I helped create Trump. There's not doubt about that. The personal, ugly politics," he said. "I regret that. And I'm sorry for that. And now we've got a guy in the White House, that's all he does."

When asked about Trump's high approval rating among Republicans, Walsh said GOP voters had no alternative, adding that many of his former colleagues in the House feel the same way.

"I'm running because he's unfit. Somebody needs to step up, and there needs to be an alternative," Walsh said. "The country is sick of this guy's tantrum. He's a child. Again, the litany. He lies every time he opens his mouth. Look at what's happened this week. The president of the United States is tweeting us into a recession."

After being asked about invoking the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office, he added, "We've never had a situation like this. ... You can't believe a word he says. He's nuts. He's erratic. He's cruel. He stokes bigotry. He's incompetent. He doesn't know what he's doing. George, he's a narcissist. The only thing he cares about is Trump."
Adding:
Law & Crime: George Conway Supporting Joe Walsh to Send Trump to ‘Trash Bin of History’

Slim Cognito

Re: Joe Walsh (R) 2020

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Although I currently follow Walsh on twitter for the anti-trump tweets, I have no illusions that he has improved from his hateful, deadbeat baseline. I will, however, crack a beer, pop some corn, sit back and watch the fireworks.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:12 pm

:yeah:
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

tek

Post by tek » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Trump is gonna chew him up and spit him out.

nothing to do with facts, just a reality show.
There's no way back
from there to here

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Trump will just ignore him. I realize it means losing some face time on TV, but Trump's handlers will probably win the day.

Or maybe not. :pray:

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 pm
Trump will just ignore him. I realize it means losing some face time on TV, but Trump's handlers will probably win the day.

Or maybe not. :pray:
Ignoring him would be the smart thing to do, but can Trump really just ignore anyone. After all, if you can't ignore the Mooch, who can you ignore?

I predict within a week Trump will give him an insulting nickname and be tweeting about him every other day.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Trump is too insecure to ignore any challange. He must be the "winner" in his own head, no matter what, even if its a janitor. If Walsh's challange builds up any head of steam at all, Trump will be screaming about him.

Oh he will TRY and ignore Walsh at first, but that wont last a week.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 pm

Just wanna know if Walsh lives in hotels and tears out the walls.
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 pm

Walsh gave an interesting apology on MSNBC for his anti-Obama behavior. Claimed he was never a birther. Not moving him out of the POS column yet.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 pm

He needs to fight for equal air time and maybe he can force a debate.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 am

Daily Beast - Michael Tomasky
Trump Has a Vicious New Primary Challenger—and Drooping GOP Support

Trump’s numbers among even Republicans are starting to drop, and while Joe Walsh is not going to win the primary, he’ll be launching feral attacks and calling out the lies.

Donald Trump likes to tout his ironclad support among Republican voters. And the media often play along with the idea that he could, as he has famously said, shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not have any of his backers actually care.

The political reality, however, is far bleaker for the president as we head into 2020. The news of Joe Walsh underscores that. Joe Walsh, yes, that Walsh, who is challenging Trump in the Republican primary.

So, what to make of this? ...

And it was Trump’s mendacity and boobery Walsh emphasized on Sunday, not his ideology, such as it is. “I’m running because he’s unfit; somebody needs to step up and there needs to be an alternative. The country is sick of this guy’s tantrum—he’s a child,” Walsh said. In other words, his case, it seems, isn’t going to be ideological, but characterological.

Ah, but you say, Republicans don’t want to hear that. To which I say, well, most of them don’t, true. But I’ve noticed something interesting happening lately. Trump’s numbers among even Republicans are starting to drop, a little. That is something to watch—and it, combined with feral attacks from a primary opponent who, every time Trump lies, will stand up and say “that’s a lie,” and who will be speaking directly to Republican voters about why it’s a disgrace to have Donald Trump in the White House, could actually add up to something.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:41 am

Cult leaders generally hold up against attacks from former cult members. Which is what Walsh is. Trump will hold steady with his 37%.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:11 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 am
Daily Beast - Michael Tomasky
Trump Has a Vicious New Primary Challenger—and Drooping GOP Support

And it was Trump’s mendacity and boobery Walsh emphasized on Sunday, not his ideology, such as it is. “I’m running because he’s unfit; somebody needs to step up and there needs to be an alternative. The country is sick of this guy’s tantrum—he’s a child,” Walsh said. In other words, his case, it seems, isn’t going to be ideological, but characterological.

Ah, but you say, Republicans don’t want to hear that. To which I say, well, most of them don’t, true. But I’ve noticed something interesting happening lately. Trump’s numbers among even Republicans are starting to drop, a little. That is something to watch—and it, combined with feral attacks from a primary opponent who, every time Trump lies, will stand up and say “that’s a lie,” and who will be speaking directly to Republican voters about why it’s a disgrace to have Donald Trump in the White House, could actually add up to something.
My hot take is that Walsh is there to, uh, whitewash Trumpism, while merely mocking Trump. Because Walsh isn't (very) critical of Trump on the merits, he's just embarrassed by the buffoonery. And Walsh is the get-out-of-jail free card for every GOP voter who feels the same way. Conservatives can point to Walsh as an example of an "honorable" critic of Trump, maybe even vote for him in a primary—if he gets that far—and then having paid tribute to virtue, vote for Trump anyway with a feeling that they did their best to rein him in.

And the media loves "maverick" republicans almost as much as they often appear to hate maverick democrats, so he's got that going for him. Beyond the good story, tho, I see him having about as much effect on the race as Howard Schultz.
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:15 pm
Although I currently follow Walsh on twitter for the anti-trump tweets, I have no illusions that he has improved from his hateful, deadbeat baseline. I will, however, crack a beer, pop some corn, sit back and watch the fireworks.
John Heileman destroyed Walsh on MSNBC yesterday. He called him a racist and went on for a few verbal paragraphs, leaving Walsh virtually speechless. That was proceeded by Nicolle Wallace asking him if, given his (new) assertions that the Dotard is unfit for office, he would commit to voting for a Democrat. Walsh's response was "I'm not there yet." A disastrous rollout for Walsh. The Daily Beast has an article up about Walsh "ghosting" his campaign manager and refusing to go along with the plan his campaign professionals had set out for him. He's as impetuous as Fat Nixon.

Recent history shows incumbents who have a primary challenger go on to lose the general election. I'm not sure Walsh will get on a ballot.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am
Recent history shows incumbents who have a primary challenger go on to lose the general election. I'm not sure Walsh will get on a ballot.
Walsh is probably no more a danger to Trump than Stassen was to Reagan in 1984, McCloskey and Ashbrook were to Nixon in 1972. There was also Bricker who won the Ohio primary in 1956 but Ike won the nomination and the general election.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:13 pm

This exchange between Walsh & Stuart Varney is ... um... wow.

Varney is dumber than a tea bagging birther.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:04 pm

voxpopuluxe wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 pm
Just wanna know if Walsh lives in hotels and tears out the walls.
No, it don't mean nothin', no victim, no crime.

Return to “Presidential Election”