The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Addie

Re: The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 am

NPR
'We Have To Turn The Clock Forward': Andrew Yang On Accelerating Economy And Society

Andrew Yang is running for president with a message that automation and artificial intelligence have already destroyed millions of American jobs, will destroy millions more, and there's little anyone can do to stop it. He says climate change is "much worse than even the most pessimistic projections." And yet, in an interview with The NPR Politics Podcast and New Hampshire Public Radio, the 44-year-old serial entrepreneur says he is an optimist.

"I'm not someone holed up in my basement waiting for the waters to overtake me," Yang said. "I'm trying to fight it with every fiber of my being. And that to me speaks to my sense of the possibilities still in front of us."

Yang drew a packed crowd to a public library in a small town in southern New Hampshire on Friday night — a diverse group in terms of age, race and gender. Some were curious voters trying to see as many candidates as they could. Some were part of the Yang Gang, shorthand for those all-in on Andrew Yang's candidacy. For someone who has no history in politics and was largely unknown until he launched his presidential campaign, Yang was greeted with a rock star reception. And, unlike some governors and members of Congress, Yang has already qualified for the fall debate stage.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:11 am

ProPublica: Sen. Elizabeth Warren Asks Why the Justice Department Went Easy on Big Banks

After an article by ProPublica and American Banker examining how the DOJ softened settlements with RBS and Barclays, the presidential candidate blasts settlements that let banks “evade accountability.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:10 am

Chicago Tribune
Presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg’s overwhelmingly white crowd at event on Chicago’s South Side reinforces his struggles to draw support from black voters

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg held a self-described grassroots campaign rally in Bronzeville on Tuesday night, but the overwhelmingly white audience he drew to the event in a historic black neighborhood reinforced the difficulty the Democratic presidential hopeful has had in connecting with African American voters.

Buttigieg did not acknowledge the makeup of the audience in his remarks or in answering questions from the 1,000 people at the sold-out event, but did touch on it briefly as he closed the hourlong rally with a plea for his supporters.

“Find the people who don’t look like most of you in this room and let them know they have the chance, not just to support this campaign, but to shape it,” Buttigieg said. ...

“Whoa, where are they all coming from? I’ve been in this neighborhood for 20 years, and I ain’t never seen nothing like that before, all these white folks lined up over there. Never,” Ruby Laster said, pointing at the line of supporters as she waited for the bus across King Drive. “All I know about him is he’s a young man from Indiana. He should get some credit for coming down here, but you got to let the people know what’s going on. He needs to get some flyers in the businesses around here. I didn’t hear anything about it.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am

KCAL
Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker Set For 2020 Campaign Events In Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The 2020 presidential campaign will make its way through Los Angeles this week with the visits of three Democratic candidates.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren will hold a town hall at the Shrine Auditorium, 665 W. Jefferson Blvd., Wednesday at 6 p.m. The event is open to the public and tickets can be reserved for free.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker will be in Los Angeles for a two-day visit, starting with a 5:30 p.m. “grassroots fundraiser happy hour” in Palms at ScaleLA, 3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd. Tickets to the event start at $15 and go up to $500.

Booker will also take part in a roundtable discussion on gun violence prevention Thursday at Vector90, a co-working space, cultural hub and incubator in South Los Angeles co-founded by slain rapper Nipsey Hussle. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti is also slated to be part of the discussion.

California Sen. Kamala Harris is also planning to be in Los Angeles Thursday for a fundraiser at the home of Michael Kives, the CEO of the recently formed media and financial services advisory firm K5 Global, and his wife Lydia, a civil rights attorney. Tickets for the event are $1,00 and $2,800, the individual donation limit for a presidential candidate.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:40 pm

New York Times
Why Kamala Harris Is Not a Lock in California in 2020

The state is the “popular boy or girl at the dance” in 2020, and none of the Democrats are ceding the turf.

LOS ANGELES — At an auditorium here one evening this week, Atticus Tyagi, age 8, stepped onstage with a canvas bag nearly as large as he is, bearing the name of his “Gammy” — Senator Elizabeth Warren — and calmly chose raffle tickets to determine who in the audience of thousands would have a chance to ask Ms. Warren a question.

Last month, donors dined on salmon and kale salad while listening to former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. in Brentwood. Two days later, some of the same guests returned to the same home to listen to a similar speech from their own senator, Kamala Harris.

Ms. Harris may be California’s homegrown candidate, but the other Democratic candidates are clearly not conceding the state as her turf.

In July, Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., spoke in a San Francisco warehouse and Senator Bernie Sanders pressed the case for “Medicare for all” in Hollywood and Little Tokyo. This week, Senator Cory Booker showed up in South Los Angeles for a discussion on gun violence. And this weekend, more than a dozen presidential candidates will speak to the party faithful in San Francisco for a Democratic National Committee meeting.

With a deep base of wealthy donors, California has long been treated as a political A.T.M. In 2020 it will become something else too: An early voting state. Or closer to one than it has been since 2008. As soon as next February, voters here can begin casting early ballots to determine how the state’s nearly 500 Democratic delegates — more than any other state in the country — will be divvied up in the nominating contest. The primary itself is March 3, Super Tuesday, and because California is not a winner-take-all state, campaigns are eager to compete for any number of delegates from the state.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Des Moines Register: 2020 Democrats are stepping up their courtship of Native American voters. Here’s why.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Seattle Times
Elizabeth Warren’s Sunday town hall is moved to Seattle Center ...

The event, previously scheduled for the WaMu Theater near CenturyLink Field, will now be held at the International Fountain at Seattle Center, the presidential candidate’s campaign said.

“To accommodate all of our guests we’ll be moving the location of the town hall,” the campaign wrote.

Warren, a U.S. senator from Massachusetts, is running second or third among nearly two dozen Democratic candidates in polling averages. She will be the first top-tier Democratic candidate to hold a public campaign event in Seattle this year.

The “Seattle Town Hall with Elizabeth Warren” is scheduled to begin at 2:15 p.m. Tickets are not required, but the campaign says an RSVP is “strongly encouraged.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:15 pm

:?

New York Times
Joe Biden, Recalling ’68, Asks Audience to Imagine Obama’s Assassination

“Imagine what would have happened if, God forbid, Barack Obama had been assassinated after becoming the de facto nominee,” Mr. Biden said, evoking the tumult of 1968.

HANOVER, N.H. — Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. on Friday took a series of unusual rhetorical detours at the end of a town-hall-style campaign event nominally dedicated to health care, speculating about how a political assassination of Barack Obama might have affected the country in 2008 and recalling that he was accused of being gay because of his support of women’s rights in the 1970s.

After speaking about the health care plan he introduced last month and taking a few questions, Mr. Biden grew most animated as he recalled the fraught political era of 1968, when he was a college senior, and two of his political heroes, Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy, were assassinated within weeks of each other.

“My senior semester they were both shot and killed,” Mr. Biden said. “Imagine what would have happened if, God forbid, Barack Obama had been assassinated after becoming the de facto nominee. What would have happened in America?”
I think of where we are at the moment. You know, none of you men are old — women are old enough, but a couple of you guys are old enough to remember. I graduated in 1968. Everybody before me was, drop out, go to Haight-Ashbury, don’t trust anybody over 30, everybody not getting involved. I’m serious, I know no woman will shake their head and acknowledge it, but you guys know what I’m talking about. Right? But then what happened? Dr. Ki— I only have two political heroes. I have one hero who was my dad, but I have two political heroes were Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy. My senior semester they were both shot and killed. Imagine what would have happened if, God forbid, Barack Obama had been assassinated after becoming the de facto nominee. What would have happened in America?
“Things changed,” he continued. “You had over 40 kids shot at Kent State on a beautiful lawn by the National Guard.” The shooting in question, in May 1970 during a Vietnam War protest, in fact ended with four students shot dead and nine wounded.

Mr. Biden, 76, was making the point that events of the late 1960s and early ’70s raised his political awareness and propelled him into a political career. He ran successfully for the United States Senate in 1972 at age 29.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:26 am

Sac Bee
Bernie Sanders tells Sacramento rally he won't settle for defeating Donald Trump

Vermont senator and 2020 presidential contender Bernie Sanders drew an overflow crowd to his downtown Sacramento rally on Thursday evening, part of a multi-day swing through California as he vies for the Democratic nomination to take on President Donald Trump next year.

“I’m here this evening to ask for your help to win the Democratic primary in California,” Sanders boomed to a fired up crowd filling Cesar Chavez Plaza — a diverse mix of young people, parents with children, men and women in business attire, and retirees in wheelchairs.

But Sanders said he was also asking for more from his area supporters.

“It’s not just good enough to defeat Trump, he said. “We have to take on Wall Street. We have to take on the insurance companies. We have to take on the drug companies. We have to take on the fossil fuel industry. We have to take on the prison-industrial complex. We have to take on the military-industrial complex. We have to take on the whole damn one percent!”

Sanders’ rally marked the first time one of the top 2020 presidential candidates has held a public event in Sacramento. California Sen. Kamala Harris spoke to California Labor Federation members in April.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:47 pm

The Hill
Biden mistakes New Hampshire for Vermont during campaign stop

Former Vice President Joe Biden mistakenly praised the state of Vermont Saturday when asked about his impression of Keane, New Hampshire by reporters during a press gaggle.

Video of the exchange shows Biden remarking about Vermont's "beauty" after an unseen reporter asks him for his "impression" of the town (Keane, N.H.).

"I love this place. Look, what’s not to like about Vermont in terms of the beauty of it? And what a neat town, this is like a scenic, beautiful town. The mayor's been a good guy, everybody has been really friendly."

A request for comment from Biden's campaign was not immediately returned.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Everybody makes mistakes.

Oh, and it's "Keene," not "Keane."

:bored:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Well, it's hard to keep all 57 states straight.
Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:44 am

News Observer
Talking about race isn’t ‘identity politics,’ Kamala Harris tells crowd in Durham

DURHAM

Presidential candidate Kamala Harris told a crowd of several hundred in Durham on Saturday night that it is time for the country to look itself in the mirror and ask, “Who are we?”

“I think we all know part of the answer to that question is, ‘We are better than this,’” said Harris, who was the keynote speaker at the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People’s 84th Founders’ Day banquet.

The Democrat said the U.S. is in a moment “that requires us to fight.”

“This fight is not new for us. We know how to fight. In fact there is nothing we have gained that came without a fight. ... So, let us not be overwhelmed, let us not despair. Let us not throw up our hands when it is time to roll up our sleeves,” Harris said. ...

She said that the term “identity politics” is a 21st century version of “the race card.” Harris said that identity politics is brought up when you talk about civil rights issues, and can mean “hush” or “shut up.” She said talking about where the country is on civil rights issues is not about identity politics, but about America’s identity.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 pm

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
There’s a reason Elizabeth Warren is surging

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) held a town hall in Los Angeles on Wednesday in front of a huge audience. If you saw her just a few months ago, you would have been impressed by how she weaves her personal story into her policy objectives, the ease with which she can explain a complex problem in simple and direct language, and her skill in presenting lots of individual ideas under a big theme (give ordinary Americans a chance). Well, she has gotten even better.

For one thing, she’s not telling exactly the same story. Sure, she tells how her mother had to get a minimum-wage job at Sears after her father had a heart attack. But we also hear about her three brothers in the military and her non-linear life and career. She has gotten “looser” and funnier. She interacts with the crowd more. She has less anger, more determination and more confidence. She is high-energy.

And she has put more substance into her three-part plan to end corruption, to use a wealth tax to pay for a whole lot of child care/education programs and to fix our democracy (e.g., end gerrymandering and voter suppression). If we do all that, we can make progress in a bunch of other areas. ...

In sum, Warren is a hugely impressive candidate. Whether her town-hall performances translate into votes, especially votes among critical African American voters, remains to be seen. But no one can say she doesn’t “Dream big, fight hard.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 pm

The Hill
Warren says 15,000 attended her Seattle rally

Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s (D-Mass.) campaign said roughly 15,000 people attended her rally in Seattle on Sunday night.

The top-tier Democratic presidential candidate has seen large crowds in recent weeks, with an event in St. Paul, Minn., last week drawing about 12,000, according to her campaign.

Her event Sunday had to move locations from the WaMu Theater, with a capacity of 7,000, to the International Fountain at Seattle Center in order to accommodate more people.

Warren billed her event Sunday as the “Seattle Town Hall,” and it was her first in Washington since launching her campaign.

A spokesperson for Warren’s campaign confirmed the crowd size to The Hill and said it was the largest of her campaign to date.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 am

Politico
‘The rock star’ vs. ‘The rock’: Warren and Biden hurtle toward collision

A clash of opposites was on full display on the campaign trail the past week.

SEATTLE — Elizabeth Warren has the crowds. Joe Biden has the lead.

The split-screen story of one of the most intriguing match-ups of the Democratic presidential primary is unfolding in a glaring contrast of style and substance.

On Sunday, Warren stood on the biggest stage of her presidential campaign for a rally here that drew an estimated 15,000 people — eclipsing an estimated 12,000-person event she held in Minnesota earlier in the week, according to her campaign. Across the country, Biden presided over a series of intimate, subdued events in New Hampshire and Iowa, hosting crowds that numbered in the low hundreds.

Warren roused her supporters with calls for “big, structural change,” and the crowd roared with chants of “Two cents! Two cents” while waving two fingers in the air as Warren discussed her 2 percent "wealth tax.” Biden pounded away at President Donald Trump, his campaign subtly and overtly reminding voters that polls consistently show him as the party's best general election candidate and the primary’s frontrunner.

The parallel displays by two of the three leading Democratic candidates offered a possible preview of the collision course looming if Biden and Warren maintain their current trajectory. It would be a clash of opposites: the progressive firebrand against the establishment favorite; the cerebral candidate of big, bold plans vs. the elder statesman offering himself as a safe haven for people who simply want a return to pre-Trump normalcy.

With Warren rising in the polls and Biden’s lead narrowing since late spring, her message is igniting progressives.

“Warren is on fire,” said Howard Dean, who in 2004 ran a Warren-like campaign as the unapologetic progressive outsider.

But Dean flamed out against John Kerry 15 years ago, reflecting the penchant of primary voters to nominate the safe choice to challenge the president of the opposition party running for reelection. And Dean, who is neutral in the race, acknowledged that Biden could benefit from similar circumstances in this cycle.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:09 am

Associated Press
Sanders: Support coal country while combating climate change

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has told voters in coal-producing Kentucky that it’s possible to be a friend of coal miners and a believer in climate change and the need for cleaner energy sources to combat it.

In blunt terms rarely heard in Kentucky’s political circles, the Vermont senator said Sunday on a stop in Kentucky that bold action is needed to confront the dangers from climate change. That course of action should include turning away from fossil fuels to curb greenhouse gas emissions blamed for global warming, he said.

“Climate change is real,” Sanders told a crowd of supporters during a speech on Sunday in Louisville. “Climate change is caused by human activity. And climate change is causing devastating harm in our country and throughout the world.”

Sanders said he recognizes that many Kentuckians have long relied on coal mining to support their families.

“So let me be as clear as I can be, coal miners ... are not my enemy,” the senator said. “Workers in the fossil fuel industry are not my enemy. Climate change is our enemy.” ...

The development of wind, solar and other sustainable energy sources will create jobs, as will modernizing the nation’s electricity grid, he said. He pledged support for expansion of high-speed broadband service in rural regions.

“Here is my promise as we transition away from fossil fuel: we will not abandon communities that have relied on fossil fuel jobs,” he said. “We will rebuild those communities.”

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 am

Surprise: not by POTUS.

State Fair GOP booth volunteer reports sexual assault
Police at the Minnesota State Fair say they're investigating after a volunteer at the Republican Party booth reported being groped through her clothes after a political argument with another woman.

The party's state chairwoman, Jennifer Carnahan, told KSTP-TV that other people also have been hostile while visiting the booth. She says people have used foul language and obscene gestures against volunteers, cursed President Donald Trump and poured drinks on merchandise.
I've heard this bull before.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:08 pm

FiveThirtyEight - Nate Silver: Joe Biden Has An Iowa Problem, Not An Enthusiasm Problem

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 am

Minn Post: At the Minnesota State Fair, the buzz of presidential politics is more like a low hum

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:04 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 am
Minn Post: At the Minnesota State Fair, the buzz of presidential politics is more like a low hum
I enjoyed this comment:
I have not been yet, but will be disappointed if the DFL booth does not have its analog to the 2016 GOP booth. Namely, a life-size cutout of trump in prison stripes sign under it “Lock him up!”

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Associated Press
Sanders urges coastal SC to act ‘boldly’ on climate change

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (AP) — Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders returned to South Carolina Thursday for a conversation on climate change in a popular tourist destination along the coast of the critical early-voting state.

More than 900 people attended the gathering held in Myrtle Beach, a focal point of South Carolina’s $20 billion tourism industry, according to campaign officials.

It came on the heels of the Vermont senator’s release last week of a $16.3 trillion climate change plan that calls for the United States to move to renewable energy across the economy by 2050 and declare climate change a national emergency.

“I think that the cost of doing nothing will be far, far more expensive,” Sanders said Thursday, addressing the cost of his plan.

How climate changes affect coastal communities is a major concern along the 190 miles of Atlantic coastline in South Carolina, the state that holds the first 2020 voting in the South. In the historic city of Charleston, even a moderate amount of rainfall has become enough to flood streets and make parts of the urban peninsula impassable.

According to a study by the Union of Concerned Scientists, by 2045, chronic flooding could inundate more than 16,000 homes along the state’s coast and low-lying areas, with about 3,000 of those in the areas surrounding Myrtle Beach. The region’s subtropical climate and extensive beaches attract more than 19 million visitors each year.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Politico
Muslim leaders: 2020 Democrats ignoring our community

Many Muslim activists and operatives already felt all but neglected by the Democratic presidential candidates.

Now, as most 2020 contenders are set to skip what is billed as the largest annual gathering of Muslims in the country this weekend, they’re growing increasingly fearful that Democrats may miss an opportunity to mobilize their community against President Donald Trump next year.

Only two Democratic hopefuls, Bernie Sanders and Julián Castro, have confirmed they are going to the Islamic Society of North America’s convention. Organizers said they invited every candidate polling above 1 percent to participate in the presidential forum, as well as Trump, who also is not attending.

“If they’re serious about courting the Muslim vote, they have to show up. They have to actually follow up words with actions,” said Wa’el Alzayat, the CEO of Muslim advocacy group Emgage and a former member of the Obama administration. “They have positioned themselves as the party that has opposed the Muslim ban, rampant Islamophobia, and the rhetoric and policies of the Trump administration.”

The convention, which is being held in Houston, Texas, is expected to draw 20,000 people. Trevor Noah, host of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, will speak.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Post and Courier
'All in for Joe': Biden looks to create firewall in SC as he maintains 2020 lead ...

As Biden's Democratic primary opponents work around the clock to try to win over his supporters, the former vice president's frontrunner status in South Carolina has remained solid in the early months of his campaign, buoyed by decades of relationships and a particularly strong appeal with black voters, who comprise a majority of the state's Democratic voters.

Biden's lead in South Carolina has consistently outpaced his support in other early states and national polls, raising the prospect that the state could serve as something of a firewall for his campaign if he begins to slip up elsewhere.

In an interview with The Post and Courier following a town hall Thursday in Rock Hill, Biden acknowledged the impact that a setback in the other early states could have on his odds of winning the Democratic nomination.

"Iowa can change the dynamic of a race for everybody and anybody," Biden said. "In New Hampshire, in Iowa, in Nevada, the dynamic can change."

But he argued that his substantial campaign operation, dozens of prominent endorsements and decades of relationships in South Carolina could preserve his frontrunner status in the Palmetto State regardless of what happens elsewhere.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 am

Texas Tribune
Castro, Sanders court Muslim vote in Houston

HOUSTON — Democratic presidential candidates Julián Castro and Bernie Sanders pitched their candidacies Saturday to one of the largest Muslim gatherings in the country, earning recognition as the only White House hopefuls to show up and address a voting bloc deeply alienated by President Donald Trump.

Addressing the annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America, Castro and Sanders pledged to overturn Trump's travel ban, which targets several Muslim-majority countries, and vowed to create a vastly more welcoming environment for Muslims in the United States.

"It begins at home by saying that you are full partners in American progress," Castro told thousands of attendees inside the George R. Brown Convention Center. "The fact is, as I know, that Muslim Americans for generations have been part of the fabric of our American family. They have helped make America the great nation it is, and we need to fully embrace it. Too often in our country's history, the message to the Muslim American community has been that somehow you're the enemy or you're the problem, and I completely disagree with that."

Organizers said they invited all presidential candidates, Democrats and Republicans, and only Castro and Sanders came. While Muslim leaders praised their attendance, they also did not mince words about the rest of the field.
Adding:
CNN: The star of the annual Muslim convention was a Jewish man from Brooklyn
The Guardian: Houston: Islamic group hosts Sanders and Castro as rightwingers protest

Counter-protesters outnumber small group of far-right demonstrators as 2020 contenders speak inside convention

Return to “Presidential Election”