Turning 2020: Republican to Democrat

Addie

Turning 2020: Republican to Democrat

Post by Addie » Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 am

I feel like there is a thread already for this topic, but I know not where. If it bothers anyone, you should let Foggy know.

The Atlantic - Andy McKean, Member of the Iowa House of Representatives
I’m the Longest-Serving Republican in the Iowa Legislature, and I’m Switching Parties

There are times when you have to follow the dictates of your conscience. For me, that time has come. ...

The legislature is considerably more partisan and regimented than it used to be. I believe the increased partisanship often stands in the way of good legislation, and I’m also deeply concerned by the growing influence that big money exerts on the legislative process.

I also found a very changed Republican caucus. While I have great respect and personal regard for my Republican colleagues, I found myself more and more uncomfortable with the stance of my party on the majority of high-profile issues, such as gutting Iowa’s collective-bargaining law and politicizing our method of selecting judges. I worked for changes to improve legislation that I had concerns about, but also voted against many of these priorities.

I might have limped along—attempting to work within my caucus for what I felt was best for the people I represent—if it hadn’t been for another factor. With the 2020 presidential election looming on the horizon, I felt, as a Republican, that I needed to be able to support the standard-bearer of the party. Unfortunately, that is something I’m unable to do.

I believe that it is just a matter of time before our country pays a heavy price for President Donald Trump’s reckless spending and shortsighted financial policies; his erratic, destabilizing foreign policy; and his disdain and disregard for environmental concerns.

Furthermore, he sets a poor example for the nation and our children. He delivers personal insults, often in a crude and juvenile fashion, to those who disagree with him, and is a bully at a time when we’re attempting to discourage bullying, on- and offline.

In addition, he frequently disregards the truth and displays a willingness to ridicule or marginalize people for their appearance, ethnicity, and disability.

I believe that his actions have coarsened political discourse, contributing to unprecedented polarization and creating a breeding ground for hateful rhetoric and actions.

Dolly

Re: Turning 2020: Republican to Democrat

Post by Dolly » Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am

Off Topic
We had a thread: "Republicans abandoning the party"

Apparently the title has been changed to "Republicans Against Trump"

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6140
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks, Doll. :bighug: That's in "Past Elections" so I'll leave it up to Foggy if he wants to do anything at all.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 am

Abandoning the Party could be different from switching to Democrat. Most who abandon their Party become Independents. Doing such usually means losing all positions of power. There are many Republicans who oppose Trump, but they have no intestinal fortitude. If they would stand up for what their beliefs, we might have some real bipartisan work getting done.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun May 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Also, there are never-trump republicans who insist trump and his minions aren't real republicans.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Austin American-Statesman
Former statewide judge leaves GOP, citing Trump's racism

Citing what she called President Donald Trump's racist ideology, Elsa Alcala, a retired Republican judge on the state's highest criminal court, announced on Facebook that she can no longer support the GOP and has left the party.

"It has taken me years to say this publicly but here I go. President Trump is the worst president in the history of this country," Alcala wrote Monday. "Even accepting that Trump has had some successes — and I believe these are few — at his core, his ideology is racism. To me, nothing positive about him could absolve him of his rotten core."

Appointed to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals by Gov. Rick Perry in 2011, Alcala spent 20 years as a GOP judge, also serving in a trial court and intermediate appeals court. ...

Alcala said Trump's behavior, including a recent tweet suggesting that four Democratic congresswomen of color should "go back" to the countries they came from, combined with state and national Republican Party support for the president, weighed on her conscience.

On Facebook, Alcala said she will vote in the Democratic primary, adding that "any of the viable Democratic presidential candidates are superior to the status quo."

"I hope Democrats rise to the occasion and put forth some very qualified candidates and that every polling station will be overwhelmed with voters," she wrote.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

That’s interesting. Amash chose the “they’re both bad” camp, but this judge has better sense.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm
That’s interesting. Amash chose the “they’re both bad” camp, but this judge has better sense.
Amash made himself politically irrelevant. Aren't committee assignments doled out on the basis of party? Does Amash have any committee assignments any more?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm
Amash made himself politically irrelevant. Aren't committee assignments doled out on the basis of party? Does Amash have any committee assignments any more?
I thought I saw he gave up whatever he had.

I don’t like his libertarian leaning or his equating the Ds with the Rs.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 pm

If you're running GOP this cycle, you'll need to sound like Joni Ernst. (OMG.)
Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) said Monday that Trump’s tweets are racist because the four congresswomen under attack are “American citizens.” But she made clear that otherwise there is no daylight between her and the president.

“I’d love for you to make that clear. While I don’t appreciate the tweets, but I still support the president,” Ernst said on Tuesday. Their political alliance is unharmed “because if you just look at his policies and what he’s been able to do. Our economy is booming, and we’re really doing quite well as Americans.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... cs-1417595

What? :(
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Yeah, be prepared to hear constantly about that booming economy he invented. So easy! Meanwhile, I paid a lot more in taxes this year, and am none too thrilled that it's going toward incarcerating refugee children, plundering our public lands, paying Mrs. McConnell, and of course the golf trips interrupted only by TV and tweeting.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 pm
If you're running GOP this cycle, you'll need to sound like Joni Ernst. (OMG.)
Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) said Monday that Trump’s tweets are racist because the four congresswomen under attack are “American citizens.” But she made clear that otherwise there is no daylight between her and the president.

“I’d love for you to make that clear. While I don’t appreciate the tweets, but I still support the president,” Ernst said on Tuesday. Their political alliance is unharmed “because if you just look at his policies and what he’s been able to do. Our economy is booming, and we’re really doing quite well as Americans.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... cs-1417595

What? :(

I don’t like what he did but I’ll always support him. “

That works with your kid, not the president. And it doesn’t always work with your kids.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 am

That's some Christian theology there. Hate the sin; love the sinner.

:brickwallsmall:

Return to “Presidential Election”