Withdrawn: Howard Schultz 2020

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Withdrawn: Howard Schultz 2020

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ian-castro
Howard Schultz candidacy is Trump's 'best chance' in 2020, says Julián Castro

Democratic presidential contender Julián Castro said on Sunday the former Starbucks chief executive Howard Schultz will give Donald Trump “his best hope of getting re-elected” if he chooses to launch an independent run for the White House.

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
tek

Re: Don't do it, Howard Schultz!!!!

Post by tek »

What is it with these rich assholes that makes them think they'd be a good president?

Is he trying to join Nader, Perot, and Stein on Mount Derpmore?

There's no way back
from there to here
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

tek wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:33 am What is it with these rich assholes that makes them think they'd be a good president?

Is he trying to join Nader, Perot, and Stein on Mount Derpmore?
It''s not just rich assholes, it's all sorts of assholes who think that success in one field means that they will be great at anything they turn their hand to.

It's partly a sub-plot of the well-known Dunning-Kruger Effect: D&K found that high competence in one field (such as running coffee shops) does not necessarily translate into an accurate assessment of that person's (lack of) competence in another field.

It probably also is a result of rich assholes being told how great they are (or conversely not being told how un-great they are) by friends, relatives, minions, etc. because critics gain nothing and can lose a lot by being critical.

Plus another effect: probably being an asshole helps on the path to riches. Nice guys don't tend to grab the loot so assiduously.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, and 4 granddogs and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

If you are on twitter, here's the hashtag- #NoHowardNo

"Why Iron-man and why not Fe-male? This joke is not for everyone." - Monde Mobsinner Bakaqana to The Science Nerds on Twitter.
NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

So he's not going to give us any idea as to what he may do as President? Why exactly are we supposed to vote for him then???

Am I being detained?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Gee. I have no idea why a guy who got a big windfall from Trumps tax cuts would be wanting to act as a spoiler to anyone's chances of dethroning the mountain of ignorant flab.

The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
PatGund

Post by PatGund »

And a lot of Seattle hasn't forgiven him for selling the Seattle Supersonics

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

Threaty Mac has "threatened" again:

Howard Schultz doesn’t have the “guts” to run for President! Watched him on @60Minutes last night and I agree with him that he is not the “smartest person.” Besides, America already has that! I only hope that Starbucks is still paying me their rent in Trump Tower!
Howie should call his bluff and close the Charburnt. I mean it's not like it's the only one on 5th Ave...

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

If you really wanna win/maintain the status quo, you remove the option of meaningful choice. Hence, run candidates in all parties. Howard's a Republican planning to run as a Democrat. Good old Operation Chaos yet again.

I've heard this bull before.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kyle Griffin ✔@kylegriffin1
Elizabeth Warren responds to Howard Schultz: "We have a billionaire who says he wants to jump into the race and the first issue he's raised is 'no new taxes on billionaires'. Let's see where that goes." http://bit.ly/2Rpv22S

tencats

Post by tencats »

Former Obama aide joins Howard Schultz's team. Democrats aren't happy.
CNN Tue January 29, 2019
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/politics ... index.html
(CNN)Bill Burton, a former adviser to President Barack Obama, defended his decision to join Howard Schultz's team as the former Starbucks CEO considers an independent presidential bid in 2020, pushing back against suggestions that Schultz could be a spoiler.
Burton was one of the original aides to the Obama campaign 12 years ago and went on to be deputy press secretary in the White House. His addition to Schultz's team will lend the former Starbucks CEO credibility but it will also amplify the pushback to Schultz's potential bid from Democrats who believe it would jeopardize their chances at defeating President Donald Trump.
:snippity:
News of Burton joining Schultz's team quickly enraged a number of Democratic operatives who are working to beat Trump. Their argument: Schultz's entry into the 2020 race would fracture the anti-Trump vote and make it easier for the President to win re-election. Burton said Steve Schmidt, a longtime Republican strategist, was also joining the effort.
"He should know better," said a Democratic operative. "I am furious. The guy was on the ground in Iowa for Obama and now he is playing into the potential re-election of Trump."
Several former Obama aides were privately highly critical of Burton's decision to help Schultz.
"No amount of money would be worth this," one former Obama aide said. "This is very shortsighted of him."

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Steve Schmidt, who brought us Palin, has a lot to atone for. This is not how to do it.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
tek

Post by tek »

1f5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There's no way back
from there to here
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

As if I really needed another reason to continue preparing my coffee & tea at home.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bob

Post by bob »

For the junkies, a 538 chat about Schultz.

Fair points are made that a Schultz candidacy may syphon off just enough Nevertrumpers (who would otherwise not vote for the inevitably too-liberal Democratic nominee).

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I just listened to Steve Schmidt on Deadline Washington with Nicole Wallace defending working with Schultz. I was screaming at the screen. I'm sure there will be a link to it at some point. I'll look.

And while I somewhat like Wallace (not so much Schmidt), they are both a large part of the reason we are in this mess. Their this is not my republican party line is pure bullshit.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
tek

Post by tek »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:16 pm I just listened to Steve Schmidt on Deadline Washington with Nicole Wallace defending working with Schultz. I was screaming at the screen. I'm sure there will be a link to it at some point. I'll look.

And while I somewhat like Wallace (not so much Schmidt), they are both a large part of the reason we are in this mess. Their this is not my republican party line is pure bullshit.
I was ready to strangle Schmidt.

This bullshit that "he won't be a spoiler" .. Nicole tried to probe that but failed..
Of course an egomaniac is gonna pull out.. uh huh..

There's no way back
from there to here
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

tek wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:16 pm I just listened to Steve Schmidt on Deadline Washington with Nicole Wallace defending working with Schultz. I was screaming at the screen. I'm sure there will be a link to it at some point. I'll look.

I was ready to strangle Schmidt.

This bullshit that "he won't be a spoiler" .. Nicole tried to probe that but failed..
Of course an egomaniac is gonna pull out.. uh huh..
agree

whatever good will Schmidt was trying to get just disappeared

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

IMG_20190131_212910.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Newsweek: Howard Schultz's 2020 Bid Is Bombing but This Pinstripe Populist Was the Real Deal

Addie

Post by Addie »

HuffPo: Howard Schultz Announces Campaign Staff Cuts, Summer Hiatus

The Starbucks billionaire won’t make a decision on running for president until after Labor Day — and he’s still eyeing Joe Biden as his biggest competition.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
CNN: Howard Schultz drops plans to run as independent candidate in 2020

Clairez

Post by Clairez »

Thank God!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'm still not buying Starbucks coffee any more.

[hidden] It also helps that I'm a part owner of a coffee company of my own -- Pure Coffee Club. Eat sh!t, Howard. :twoup: [/hidden]

Return to “Presidential Election”