Pete Buttigieg 2020

sad-cafe

Re: Pete Buttigieg 2020

Post by sad-cafe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Orlylicious wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 pm
Pete was AWESOME on Hardball, agree with him 100% and he takes Donald on with points that are based on reality. He's something else.

This is the link, when I saw the embed it was another story but this is def the URL:
https://www .msnbc.com/hardball/watch/pete-buttigieg-says-trump-defending-kim-not-first-time-he-aligned-with-a-dictator-60463173531

I think Chris Matthews really likes Mayor PEte

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am

Business Insider: Pete Buttigieg has been the breakout 2020 Democratic candidate. Here’s his stunning rise in 1 chart

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:33 pm

I'm Team Biden but concerned and love Pete so watching carefully. Go Pete! Up 13 points!!! Just out:
Biden Retains Lead in Iowa Poll, but Warren and Buttigieg Gain
Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., campaigning in Des Moines on Saturday. A new poll of likely Democratic caucusgoers in Iowa has Joe Biden leading the race but shows that Mr. Buttigieg has gained 13 points since March.
By Reid J. Epstein June 8, 2019

CRESCO, Iowa — Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. retains a lead among likely Iowa caucusgoers, but both he and Senator Bernie Sanders have lost ground over the past three months while Senator Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., have made clear gains, according to a new poll from The Des Moines Register and CNN.

The poll showed that Mr. Biden is the first choice for 24 percent of would-be Democratic caucusgoers, compared with 16 percent for Mr. Sanders of Vermont, 15 percent for Ms. Warren of Massachusetts and 14 percent for Mr. Buttigieg.

In March, before Mr. Biden formally entered the race, he and Mr. Sanders held a commanding lead, with 27 percent and 25 percent support according to The Register’s polling, which has long been judged by campaigns as the best in the state. At the time, Ms. Warren was polling at 9 percent and Mr. Buttigieg at 1 percent.

Senator Kamala Harris of California was at 7 percent support in both surveys. Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota and former Representative Beto O’Rourke of Texas, both at 2 percent, were the only other candidates above 1 percent in the new poll.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/p ... artner=rss
Avatar Photo: Current Logo for Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:41 am

Reuters
Democratic candidate Buttigieg: 'No going back' in fight for LGBTQ rights

DES MOINES, Iowa (Reuters) - Democrat Pete Buttigieg, running to become the first openly gay U.S. president, told activists at an Iowa Pride festival on Saturday there was “no going back to normal” in fighting discrimination against the LGBTQ community.

Buttigieg, speaking at a rally on the steps outside the Iowa state capitol in Des Moines, said rights for the community were still under threat from Republican President Donald Trump, and he warned against complacency.

“Don’t listen to anybody in either party who says we can just go back to what we were doing,” Buttigieg told a crowd celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Iowa Supreme Court’s decision to overturn a ban on same-sex marriages.

“We know that the struggle is not over, not even close. At a time like today when you can still be legally fired in so many parts of this country because of who you are or who you love, we have work to do,” he said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:44 am

Politico
Buttigieg puts focus on foreign policy as he hammers Trump

The mayor is giving a foreign policy speech Tuesday, as he draws a stronger contrast with Trump's lack of military service on the trail.

Facing questions on the trail about whether his campaign has put forward enough big ideas, Pete Buttigieg plans to make one area his own: foreign policy.

The South Bend, Ind., mayor will give a major address on his national security and foreign policy platform Tuesday morning at Indiana University, delving into details on a policy front that offers presidents wide latitude but which has gotten relatively little attention from Democratic 2020 candidates so far.

It could be a standout issue for Buttigieg, a former Navy intelligence officer who served in Afghanistan and is the only veteran polling in the top half of the Democratic presidential primary. And it’s also a topic that Buttigieg can frame in general election terms by contrasting himself with President Donald Trump, whom Buttigieg has criticized for “making up a disability” to get out of serving during the Vietnam War.

“To my surprise, nobody’s given a real foreign policy address that I’ve seen in our field,” Buttigieg said at a recent campaign stop in Iowa, after a voter questioned why he wasn’t “rolling out policy proposals like Sanders or Warren.”

“I’m looking for areas where we can talk about things that haven’t been talked about much,” Buttigieg continued.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:32 pm

:clap:

Reuters
Democrat Buttigieg: stop 'endless war,' return to Iran nuclear deal

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Tuesday urged a stop to the “endless wars” that followed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and vowed to return the United States to the Iran nuclear deal scrapped by Republican President Donald Trump.

Buttigieg, a Navy reservist who was deployed to Afghanistan, opened his first major foreign policy speech with a call for Congress to repeal the military force law that was passed days after Sept. 11 attacks in order to allow military campaigns against al Qaeda and the Taliban militant group in Afghanistan.

“The world needs an America free from entrapment in endless war and prepared to focus on future threats,” Buttigieg said in the speech delivered in Bloomington, Indiana. ...

Buttigieg said that under Trump, “the United States hardly has a foreign policy at all” but does have a pattern of emboldening autocrats “while alienating democracies and allies around the globe.”

Buttigieg said the military force law helped ensnare the United States in conflicts where the mission was not clearly defined and that Congress had abdicated its responsibility on waging war.
Adding:
NBC News: As Biden and Trump battle in the trenches, Buttigieg attacks from higher ground

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 pm

WaPo - Jennifer Rubin
Pete Buttigieg clears the commander in chief bar

On Tuesday, South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg gave his first major foreign policy speech of the primary season. He deserves high praise for willingness to devote a full speech to the topic, speak for more than an hour, cover not simply major themes but hit issues affecting each continent and direct even-handed criticism at both Democrats and Republicans.

Buttigieg appeared to have taken inspiration from the best of center-left foreign policy thinking and made it his own. The recent Center for American Progress report’s findings seemed to be incorporated throughout the speech: An emphasis on responsible leadership, but use of force only as a last resort; a commitment to alliances that make us stronger; a connection between American values and prosperity; and our role in the world. He structured his speech around the three key components of his foreign policy thinking — our values, our interests and our alliances.

He is no left-wing isolationist. He said quite plainly that “the world needs America more than ever,” and while declaring the country in need of a new foreign policy, he showed he has smartly sifted through past experience and extracted lessons both good and bad. He condemned the Iraq War but stated forcefully this should not to discredit acting with force. Rather the United States should set a high bar — “exceedingly” high when we act alone — and to have a plan for post-fighting. He provided tight restraints on the use of force: Our our core interests must be at stake and there must be no alternative. He called this the difference between “Normandy and Saigon.” However, the hard work, as he surely knows, comes in dozens of situations in between.

Buttigieg outlined a number of key concepts: “End” long wars (how, he did not say), combat the rise of authoritarianism, treat climate change as an existential threat, update international institutions and bring ordinary citizens into the debate.

He briefly (sometimes with humor) and harshly criticized President Trump’s foreign policy but indirectly warned his Democratic competitors, “It’s not enough to say you won’t conduct foreign policy by tweet.”

His best passages came in his call for Congress to step up to the plate, no longer relying on the authorization for use of military force approved after 9/11, but to make decisions and exercise oversight; in an explanation of the connection between our values and our national interests; and in a clear description of how our conduct at home (functional government, support for a free press, a robust economy) gives us credibility and strength abroad.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 pm

There seems to be nothing at which Pete Buttigieg does not excel. Ouch, how is that for an awful sentence. :lol: It's been a very long and stressful day and I'ma leave that awful thing right where it is.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 pm

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I dig Mayor Pete quite a bit and need to dig more into what he's actually accomplished in South Bend.

I look forward to the outrage over gay men living as a couple in the White House. I don't think there are smelling salts enough in the world for that.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:39 pm
I dig Mayor Pete quite a bit and need to dig more into what he's actually accomplished in South Bend.

I look forward to the outrage over gay men living as a couple in the White House. I don't think there are smelling salts enough in the world for that.
:yeah: I also want to look for the full speech Buttigieg made today, the shorter excerpt definitely reminded me of how proud I used to be of our former President. I have a strong feeling Buttigieg would inspire that same pride if he were to become President.

I remember how appalled I was in 2016 that the Republican Party had so many candidates in 2016 and every last one of them either scared the shit out of me or made me just outright embarrassed for them. The Democratic field this year is jam packed with candidates that I would have no problem supporting. Some are making more of an impression on me than I expected. We will be seeing more of Buttigieg and his day will come, I have little doubt. I fully expect Pete and his husband to occupy the White House at some point if this country hasn't completely lost it's way. I hope I am still around when that time comes. I cried tears of joy when the US elected Barack Obama. I mean actual tears, I was surprised at the power of my emotional reaction. I believe I will have the same reaction when Buttigieg is elected.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:18 am

Whaaaat? This didn't move you to tears last presidential campaign?
► Show Spoiler

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:56 am

Please post it if you find it. I've changed the youtube three times and never got it right. I was starting to think it was a problem with my system. Thanks, RV.
RVInit wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:08 am

:yeah: I also want to look for the full speech Buttigieg made today, the shorter excerpt definitely reminded me of how proud I used to be of our former President. I have a strong feeling Buttigieg would inspire that same pride if he were to become President.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:33 pm

OK, this guy is like a fictional superhero who can communicate in every human format. And probably talks to eagles, too. And loves dogs. And helps turtles safely cross the street.
South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D), who himself is fluent in American Sign Language, said in April that he would “absolutely” commit to including people with disabilities in future campaign ads and hiring them as campaign staff.
From 2020 Democrats put spotlight on disabilities issues https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ies-issues
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm

Here's for you, Addie! :kiss: This was posted just a couple of hours ago. I think it might be the full speech, but I'm not positive about that. It's almost an hour long. If anyone knows of a longer version if this isn't the full speech, I would love to watch every bit of it, as I'm sure others would also appreciate it.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 pm

You're a dollink! :lovestruck:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 pm

BuzzFeed News
A Major LGBT Political Group Is Set To Endorse Pete Buttigieg For President

This will be Victory Fund’s first endorsement in a presidential primary race.

Victory Fund, a political organization that backs LGBT candidates for office, is planning to endorse a presidential candidate for the first time in its history.

Pete Buttigieg, the openly gay mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is set to formally receive the group’s backing June 20 in Boston, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News. Annise Parker, the former mayor of Houston who is now Victory Fund’s president, is expected to join the event.

“This truly is a historic first for our work, and our community,” the email says.

The move had been expected since Buttigieg began rising as a contender in the Democratic field — the group has historically only endorsed LGBT candidates. But Victory Fund board members were notified of the official plans Wednesday. Early endorsements from large outside groups, which have been rare in a tightly contested field of nearly two dozen Democrats, can be major boosts to campaigns.

The endorsement is a sign of how Buttigieg’s candidacy has animated the LGBT community. Buttigieg and his husband, Chasten, have been featured on the cover of Time magazine, and he has spoken out about Vice President Mike Pence’s anti-LGBT agenda while Pence served as governor of Indiana.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm

The Hill
Buttigieg puts forth 'Douglass Plan' to improve black American prosperity

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Tuesday outlined his plan to increase economic prosperity in black communities.

Buttigieg proposed reforming credit scoring and increasing access to credit in a Charleston Chronicle op-ed. He also pledged to increase the federal government's contracting with minority-owned firms to 25 percent. The South Bend, Ind., mayor named his plan the "Douglass Plan for Black America" named for abolitionist Frederick Douglass.

Buttigieg also proposed a modern Voting Rights Act that would ban voter ID laws and require potentially discriminatory voting law changes to be reviewed by the Justice Department.

"Replacing racist policies with neutral ones will not be enough to deliver equality," he wrote. "We must actively work to reverse these harms, which is why I propose that we invest in equity with a plan as bold as the Marshall Plan."

The 2020 candidate noted in the op-ed that he will "have a lot more to say about these policies in the coming weeks."

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:17 pm

WaPo
Pete Buttigieg wants to lead on foreign policy. These are his advisers ...
Doug Wilson, the campaign's co-lead on national security and foreign policy, says the advisers — whose names will be familiar to many in Washington — are drawn to Buttigieg because they see his campaign as “a vehicle for intelligent engagement.” ...

Wilson himself, who served as assistant secretary of Defense for public affairs during the Obama administration, is a known commodity in town. He's the first openly gay individual to be confirmed by the Senate to a senior Pentagon position and played a key role in the repeal of “don't ask, don't tell” ban on gays serving openly in the military. He has known Buttigieg for 15 years when they first met working on John F. Kerry's presidential campaign.
Ned Price, former National Security Council spokesperson in the Obama administration
Ambassador Robert Holleyman, the U.S. Deputy Trade Representative under former president Barack Obama
Amanda Sloat, former deputy assistant secretary for Southern Europe and Eastern Mediterranean Affairs at the State Department
Tarek Ghani, a nonresident fellow of the global economy and development program at the Brookings Institution
100 experts: Politico's Elena Schneider reported that Buttigieg's “foreign policy brain trust. includes more than 100 experts, largely working in a volunteer capacity.”
It's many of the younger leaders who are flocking to Buttigieg, who has described himself as a “product of the 9/11 generation” and fixates on a vision for what the country should look like beyond 2050, even as former vice president Joe Biden secured some of the most experienced former Obama senior officials on his campaign team.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am

Mayor Pete may be the most talented candidate in the field. And he'll be around for many years after this election cycle. Right now it's just too soon. But I can see him as POTUS in 2028. I would vote for him. Early and often.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:40 pm

CBS News (VIDEO): Full transcript: Pete Buttigieg on "Face the Nation," June 16, 2019

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am
Mayor Pete may be the most talented candidate in the field. And he'll be around for many years after this election cycle. Right now it's just too soon. But I can see him as POTUS in 2028. I would vote for him. Early and often.

Stern, I may be misrembering, but wasn't the same thing said about Obama? I can't find any articles on it doing a brief search but it is stuck in my head (a frightening place to be at times).

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:56 am

You're not misremembering. I thought the same thing in 2008 about Obama. I was wrong.

I think Mayor Pete is a greater leap forward, but if I'm wrong AGAIN, so be it. I'll support him.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:30 am

I basically agree with what Stern says. I am looking forward to the day I punch the button for Pete for President! If he ends up on the ballot for President in 2020 then that will be when I do it. I'd like to see him serve as Governor first. Or, if he could replace one of those awful Senators Indiana has saddled us with, that would be great, too. Name recognition and a history cut both ways, though.

Edited for speling errrerz.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:41 am

I agree with Lani, Stern and RV. Mayor Pete's terrific but President in 2020 seems a stretch. Nonetheless, I'll be happy to vote for him whenever the opportunity arrives.

As for other experience in the meantime, how about VP?

Return to “Presidential Election”