Pete Buttigieg 2020

Foggy

Pete Buttigieg 2020

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 am

For completeness.

Harvard grad, Rhodes scolar, veteran (Afghanistan), mayor of South Bend since 2012.

More will be revealed.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

neonzx

Re: Pete Buttigieg 2020

Post by neonzx » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 am

And then there is the openly-gay and happily married to his husband thing, which is, of course, totally awesome. :blink:

But are we ready to try and crash that glass ceiling at this moment considering what happens if we don't prevail in 2020? :?:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 am

I have no opinion on his chances of success. But he's a declared candy date and I think we should have a thread for each legit contender.

And I think it will be a good thing to have him in the debates. The people who know him sing his praises, and he may be a good influence on the others.

If you feel like a room without a roof (if you feel like happiness is the truth) then you don't focus on ceilings. If he's the best candy date for 2020, I think good people won't focus on his sexuality and instead will think about his policies.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:48 am

Oh yeah, and ...
Buttigieg (it’s Maltese, pronounced BOOT-uh-judge, and means, roughly, “lord of the poultry”) ...
:notworthy:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 am

:lovestruck:

WaPo
Pete Buttigieg joins the Democratic race for the 2020 presidential nomination

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who has signaled for months that he would try to leap from local to presidential politics, announced Wednesday that he will join the burgeoning cast of Democratic candidates in the 2020 race.

Buttigieg made his plans official in a video and email sent to supporters early Wednesday, before taking part in the U.S. Conference of Mayors meeting in Washington.

He announced in December that he would not seek a third term as mayor of the Indiana city, a move widely seen as a precursor to a presidential run. He said Wednesday he was setting up an exploratory committee for president, the legal mechanism allowing him to raise and spend money on behalf of his campaign.

Buttigieg suffused his announcement with references to his youth and the generational exception he represents compared to most of the Democratic field. He turned 37 on Saturday, making him the youngest entrant so far in the presidential race.

“I belong to a generation that is stepping forward right now. We’re the generation that lived through school shootings, that served in the wars after 9/11, and we’re the generation that stands to be the first to make less than our parents unless we do something different,” he said in his announcement video.

“We can’t just polish off a system so broken. It is a season for boldness and a focus on the future.”
Pete for America

ActBlue Donate

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:46 pm

I listened to his interview with Chris Hayes' last night, the man comes across very well and has his shit together. Too bad there are too many bigots in the US that an openly gay, same sex married politician hasn't got a realistic chance.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:54 pm

ABC News: On The View: Pete Buttigieg, South Bend mayor, presidential hopeful, thinks an 'intergenerational alliance' is necessary to solve problems

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

I really like him. But a jump from small city mayor to president is just unrealistic, IMHO. I wish he could get elected governor first. But Indiana will only elect "moderate" democrats, which are basically republicans by the standards of most states. Also, said democrat needs to be a white, straight male, or else the bible thumpers will scream that his candidacy is one of the seven signs of the apocalypse. Maybe he should move just a few miles north and run for election in Michigan? I dunno. But I would love for him to have a long, successful career in politics.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 pm

Adrianinflorida wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:46 pm
I listened to his interview with Chris Hayes' last night, the man comes across very well and has his shit together. Too bad there are too many bigots in the US that an openly gay, same sex married politician hasn't got a realistic chance.
I would have bet my left nut that in South Bend, Indiana, he would not had a snowballs chance in hell of being elected.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 pm

That’s a good point.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 am

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 pm
Adrianinflorida wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:46 pm
I would have bet my left nut that in South Bend, Indiana, he would not had a snowballs chance in hell of being elected.
Assumes facts not in evidence ;)

Love Ya PG!!!

:bighug:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm

The New Yorker
Pete Buttigieg’s Quiet Rebellion

Last week, Pete Buttigieg, the young mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who recently announced that he is exploring a Presidential candidacy, arrived in New York to meet the press. First up, on Thursday, was an interview on “CBS This Morning,” where the show’s hosts seemed slightly impatient, like college-admissions officers who had been asked to interview a benefactor’s son. Norah O’Donnell positioned her eyebrows skeptically. “You’re thirty-seven, you represent a town of a hundred and two thousand people—did I get that right? What qualifies you to be President of the United States?” Buttigieg, who has pale skin, thick brown hair, and a formal manner, gave a self-deprecating laugh. “I know that I’m the youngest person in this conversation, but I think that the experience of leading a city through a transformation is really relevant right now,” he said. “Things are changing tectonically in our country, and we can’t just keep doing what we’ve been doing. We can’t nibble around the edges of a system that no longer works.” John Dickerson pointed out that other Democratic candidates were proposing very big ideas—Medicare for All, the abolition of private health insurance—and asked, “What is your idea that is so big that nobody would mistake it for nibbling around the edges?” Buttigieg answered, “Well, first of all, we’ve got to repair our democracy. The Electoral College needs to go, because it’s made our society less and less democratic.” He went on in this vein, suggesting that electoral reform was essential, and promising that other policies, on security and health care, would follow. Viewers were left with the image of an impressive and fluent young politician, whose presence in the Presidential race, and on their screens, had never really been explained.

A few hours later, I met Buttigieg in a busy restaurant in the basement of Rockefeller Center, where the windows looked out at the ice-skating rink. He had taken off his sports coat for an appearance on “The View,” but put it back on for lunch, and he arrived carrying an enormous backpack over his left shoulder. “The View” had gone much better. The hosts were intrigued by the idea that Buttigieg, who came out three and a half years ago, could be the first gay President, and by his campaign’s main theme, which he calls intergenerational justice—he believes that millennials are suffering from their elders’ short-term thinking on climate change, economics, and other issues. Whoopi Goldberg wondered whether such a case could be made without alienating older Americans, and Buttigieg watched her intently, absorbing the criticism. “I think we really hit on something with this idea of intergenerational justice,” Buttigieg told me. “I think the trick for us—and this was a big part of what Whoopi Goldberg was asking about—is there should be a way to make a generational case without this all being about generational conflict. And I think there’s a way to do it.”

Buttigieg, who attended Harvard, studied philosophy, politics, and economics (P.P.E.) at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, and did a tour in Afghanistan as a naval reservist, can seem like an “old person’s idea of a young person,” as Michael Kinsley once said of Al Gore. Certainly, against the image of the millennial left, and of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Buttigieg appears to be a more prosaic political character—he has a habit of giving answers in numbered sequence, and he uses phrases like “pathway to peace.” But, in his own understated way, he is suggesting a sharp break with the past. If you thought in terms of the effects of public policy on millennials, he said, you began to see generational imbalances everywhere. The victims of school shootings suffered because of the gun liberties given to older Americans. Cutting taxes for the richest Americans meant that young people, inevitably, would have to pay the bill. Climate policy, he said, was the deepest example of the imbalance, but the Iraq War was perhaps the most tangible. “There’s this romantic idea that’s built up around war,” he said. “But the pragmatic view is there are tons of people of my generation who have lost their lives, lost their marriages, or lost their health as a consequence of being sent to wars which could have been avoided.” Then he quoted, happily, from “Lawrence of Arabia”: “The virtues of war are the virtues of young men—courage and hope for the future. The vices of peace are the vices of old men—mistrust and caution.”

For much of his life, Buttigieg has been giving those around him the impression of extreme promise. Both of his parents were professors at Notre Dame, and he grew up in South Bend, near the campus. His father, Joe, was a translator of the Italian Marxist theorist Antonio Gramsci and a scholar of James Joyce. His mother, Anne Montgomery, is a linguist. At Harvard, Buttigieg was the student president of the Institute of Politics, a role sought by the most ambitious of the exceptionally ambitious, but he could also suggest a more inquisitive nature. His close friend Nathaniel Myers recalled that Buttigieg had become entranced by the Norwegian novel “Naïve. Super,” by Erlend Loe, taught himself the language to translate another work by the author, and then started periodically attending a Norwegian church in Chicago to keep up. He plays piano, and has sat in with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra and Ben Folds. He was elected mayor of South Bend, in 2011, when he was twenty-nine, and only came out in advance of his reëlection campaign, when he was thirty-three. His wedding, to Chasten Glezman, who was a Montessori middle-school teacher, was broadcast live online.

In 2015, Buttigieg gave a speech at Harvard, and David Axelrod, President Obama’s longtime chief strategist, was in the audience. The speech, Axelrod told me this week, was moving and thoughtful, and he noticed that, though Buttigieg had notes, he rarely consulted them. What struck him was a familiar kind of talent. “His story is an incredible story,” Axelrod said, “but more impressive than the story is the guy. At a time when people are aching for hope and a path forward that we can all walk, he is a relentlessly positive person.”
Adding:
Des Moines Register: Pete Buttigieg, the youngest Democratic presidential candidate, says it's time for the ‘newer generation' to lead

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 am

WaPo
What does Pete Buttigieg bring to the table? Experience — really. ...

“Look, you could be a senior senator and have never managed more than a hundred people in your life,” he said. “I not only have more years of government experience than the president of the United States, but I have more years of executive experience than the vice president of the United States, and more wartime experience than anybody who arrived in the office since George H.W. Bush.

“As cheeky as it sounds coming from the youngest guy in the conversation,” he added, “I think experience is one of the things that qualifies me to have a seat at the table.”

Except cheeky is not how he sounds at all. It is an understatement to say Buttigieg — known as “Mayor Pete,” because his Maltese last name is practically unpronounceable — is a long shot. That does not mean he isn’t a serious candidate.

He’s got a point when he notes that the rapidly growing field of 2020 Democratic contenders is thus far light on executive experience. He’s also got a good story to tell about his role in guiding the resurgence of a Rust Belt city.

And Buttigieg has what could be a compelling message for Democrats, with a riff that seeks to reclaim one of the right’s favorite words.

“ ‘Freedom’ means a lot to conservatives, but they have such a narrow sense of what it means. They think a lot about freedom from — freedom from government, freedom from regulation — and precious little about freedom to,” he said. “Freedom to is absolutely something that has to be safeguarded by good government, just as it could be impaired by bad government.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:49 am

The Guardian
Too much, too young? Mayor could become the first millennial president

Over a bowl of pulled pork, lentils, giardiniera and mixed greens, with the Eagles’ Peaceful Easy Feeling playing in the background, Pete Buttigieg is asked a question that no elected official running for US president has ever been asked before. What was it like growing up gay?

“I wasn’t even prepared to acknowledge to myself that I was gay at school,” he said, reflecting on his childhood in South Bend, Indiana, a conservative state governed, until recently, by vice-president Mike Pence. “I had never met an out person my age the entire time I went to school; didn’t know that there was such a thing. I had heard of one at another school. So it was just literally out of the question.” ...

Too much, too young? Democrats seem to like the promise of generational change, their past four presidents having been John F Kennedy (aged 43), Jimmy Carter (52), Bill Clinton (46) and Barack Obama (47). As Buttigieg likes to point out, he would take office with more military experience than any commander-in-chief since George HW Bush and, when he reaches Trump’s current age, the year will be 2054 – meaning that issues such as climate change are not abstract to him but viscerally personal. ...

He goes up to the 14th floor office where John F Kennedy’s inaugural address hangs above his desk, a photo of Buttigieg with Michelle Obama sits on a sideboard, and Winston Churchill’s 12-volume history of the second world war shares the bookshelves with Making Gay History by Eric Marcus. There is also a fragment of blue stone from Buttigieg’s first trip to Iraq as a civilian adviser; he recites the inscription in convincing Arabic, then translates: “‘Not everyone who rides on a horse is a knight.’ I keep it here to remind myself, just because you have an office or a title doesn’t mean much unless you do something with it.” ...

He adds: “There’s something in the Midwestern political culture that’s very reality based that I think belongs more in the national dialogue. Also, the city stands as a reply to those who say that the Midwest is absorbed in nostalgia and that the way to our hearts is resentment.”

Much has been written about Trump’s appeal to white rage, especially among blue collar workers in decaying rust-belt towns, and his promises to bring back coal mines and factories. Buttigieg took a different approach to his mayoral campaigns: “I don’t think an honest politics, no matter how good the past was – and our past is mixed – can contain the word ‘again’. That’s how we got elected: everybody was saying, ‘How do we get some version of Studebaker back here?’ and our message was we’re not, it’s not going to happen. That’s OK. Studebaker’s not coming back but we are and here’s how. It turned out after 50 years the city was ready for that.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55 pm

WMUR
Buttigieg calls for action on climate change, abolishing Electoral College

Indiana mayor explores presidential run in NH visit ...

Voters asked Buttigieg how he would match up with President Donald Trump on a debate stage.

"We need to make sure this debate isn't about him," Buttigieg said. "One of the things I've noticed is that all the critical attention that goes his way, he has a way of just kind of devouring it and absorbing it and growing even bigger from it."

Buttigieg said it's important to keep in mind the conditions that led to Trump's election.

"But in many ways, we have to talk about a world where he's going to come and go," Buttigieg said. "Because, in my view, a presidency like this doesn't just happen. Somebody like him would not even have come within cheating distance of the presidency unless there were profound problems in our economy, in our democratic system that made people where I live, for example, angry enough to vote to burn the house down." ...

He said he wants to take dramatic action to address climate change. He also favors a public option on health care and abolishing the Electoral College in favor of a national popular vote for president.

"I believe there's a lot of voter apathy as a consequence of the Electoral College," Buttigieg said. "There are tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions, of Americans who get the message most years that their vote doesn't matter."

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Pete was a guest on Preet Bharara's Stay Tuned with Preet podcast recently. He is the real deal. He has degrees from Harvard and Oxford and serves in the Naval Reserve. I think he will rock in the debates.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Yeah, I think he's terrific.
Reality Check wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:02 pm
Pete was a guest on Preet Bharara's Stay Tuned with Preet podcast recently. He is the real deal. He has degrees from Harvard and Oxford and serves in the Naval Reserve. I think he will rock in the debates.

Clairez

Post by Clairez » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 pm

I say give Pete a chance. Seems like he has way more experience than this last guy and he's a lot smarter and better looking too!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 pm

He did a town hall with CNN at south by southwest. Very well spoken

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 am

Thank you Dr. Ken, planning to watch this soon. Great having a millennial voice in the debates.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:40 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:36 am
Thank you Dr. Ken, planning to watch this soon. Great having a millennial voice in the debates.
Tulsi Gabbard, millennial, was first up. (I didn't watch that part, of course. Later on a CNN show I saw a clip of her defending Assad yet again.)
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Politico
Clash of the Hoosiers: Buttigieg takes on Pence

Democratic presidential candidate and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Sunday blasted Vice President Mike Pence — the former governor of Buttigieg’s home state, Indiana — for becoming “the cheerleader of the porn star presidency” after enacting policies of “social extremism” on the non-federal level.

“Please don't judge my state by our former governor,” Buttigieg said during a town hall in Austin, Texas, after he was asked whether Pence’s conservatism is representative of all Indianans.

“I think those views are so out of line with where anybody is. And look, I got to tell you, this was kind of a difficult journey for a lot of people,” Buttigieg said at the event, moderated by CNN host Jake Tapper.

“I mean, if you were conservative and from an older generation, and you were brought up by people you trusted to believe that it was morally wrong to be, for example, in a same-sex marriage, and then the pace of change has happened so quickly,” he said. “I’ve benefited from the pace of that change. But I also understand how disorienting it must be for people to have gone through that.”

The 37-year-old Buttigieg, who is the youngest Democrat in the crowded 2020 field and the only gay contender, also described his experience coming out of the closet four years ago at a time when Pence was Indiana’s chief executive.
Adding:
CNN: Pete Buttigieg is the human rebuttal to everything Mike Pence stands for
WaPo - Jennifer Rubin: Get ready for Pete Buttigieg
The Hill: Buttigieg wins stellar reviews at CNN town hall
Above the Law: Pete Buttigieg Is The Only Democrat Making Sense About The Supreme Court Right Now

The Mayor of South Bend must be part of the Supreme Court reform conversation.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:51 pm

CNN
Buttigieg feels momentum after CNN town hall, with $600K raised in 24 hours

Pete Buttigieg had the single biggest fundraising day of his 2020 campaign on Monday, according to an aide to the South Bend, Indiana, mayor, receiving a significant boost after a widely heralded performance during a CNN town hall.

A series of top Democrats from across the party's political spectrum touted Buttigieg's hour on the CNN stage over the last 24 hours, arguing that the little-known mayor deserves a shot at the presidency because of what he displayed during the event moderated by CNN's Jake Tapper.

According to the Buttigieg aide, the mayor raised more than $600,000 from over 22,200 donations in the 24 hours after the CNN town hall. The number is even more significant, the aide said, because the committee employs 20 staffers, lean when compared to other Democratic operations.

"I'm thrilled by the support we've received over the last day," Buttigieg said in a statement. "We're not accepting corporate PAC money and we don't have the gilded fundraising base that comes with being a more established figure in Washington, so grassroots fundraising will be crucial for this effort."

Pete for America

ActBlue Donate

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

The Nation
What a Midwestern Presidential Candidate Learned From Marxist Intellectuals

Pete Buttigieg’s father was a Gramsci scholar—but he taught his son more about ethics than revolution. ...

If culture shapes politics and economics, then what artists, intellectuals, and scholars do is absolutely crucial to any political program. Joe Buttigieg explained it this way: “Ideas matter at least as much as the direct exercise of power and frontal opposition to it.”

“Joe was interested in the idea of the public intellectual,” Chris Fox said. “Not simply an intellectual as someone who has ideas, but someone who can make ideas work. And he raised a public intellectual in Peter.”

Mayor Pete, for his part, clearly understands the importance of culture. But he deploys it for civic, not partisan, ends. He commissioned a massive interactive light sculpture that has turned the city’s waterfront into a multicolor wonderland; he slowed down car traffic through central South Bend so people and bikes could come downtown; and, with great fanfare, he renovated or razed over 1,000 abandoned houses in as many days during his first term as mayor.

When he told The Washington Post last fall that “a good organizer knows about building a social culture in a campaign,” he was talking about team-building activities, not propaganda. His stated campaign themes of freedom, democracy, and security are likewise about building consensus, at a moment when many party faithful, of both parties, are more excited about sharpening contrasts than downplaying them.

His ecumenical approach is part of what leads some leftists to dismiss Pete as neoliberal or centrist or boring. But while his campaign has so far been about extremely big ideas, as South Bend’s mayor he has focused on much smaller things—trash trucks and snow plows, fiber optics and bike shares. And at the intersection of these two scales—the impossibly broad and the minutely specific—we can start to see what makes Pete Buttigieg a politician worth watching.

Return to “Presidential Election”