WITHDRAWN: Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Foggy

Re: Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Post by Foggy »

To be exact, 23 serious candidates are vying for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.
No, to be exact there are 25 (with Joe Sestak). Or they should name the one who isn't "serious". :fingerwag:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11586
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Addie

Post by Addie »

New York Daily News
Kirsten Gillibrand raises skimpy $2.3M in second quarter

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s presidential campaign raised an underwhelming $2.3 million in the second quarter, putting her squarely in the lower tier of the crowded Democratic field.

The upstate senator, whose campaign has failed to catch fire so far, raised less than her haul from the previous three months, a clear sign that her momentum has stalled.

Gillibrand was out-raised by fellow straggler Gov. Jay Inslee (D-Wash.), who raked in $3 million. Julian Castro raised $2.8 million, a total that grew significantly after his eye-catching performance in last month’s first Democratic debate.

Gillibrand did boast of $6.2 million cash on hand, a decent war chest for a candidate who has struggled to gain more than 1% or 2% in polls.

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

https://twitter.com/sengillibrand/statu ... 09197?s=21

Gillibrand made a statement on the situation in Puerto Rico, making her candidate #2 so far. It’s a cheap way to score votes in Florida so hopefully more people join.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Vox: Why Kirsten Gillibrand’s foreign policy plan is one of the strongest yet

She promised to end “endless wars” and restore American diplomacy — but the details should be a road map for other 2020 Democrats.
Also:
Vox: Kirsten Gillibrand wants the fossil fuel industry to pay for climate damages

Gillibrand’s new climate change proposal holds greenhouse gas emitters financially accountable.

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: Gillibrand says she's not opposed to 'second chances' for Halperin and Franken

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am
Politico: Gillibrand says she's not opposed to 'second chances' for Halperin and Franken
:brickwallsmall:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:49 am
Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am
:brickwallsmall:
https://twitter.com/EmmyA2/status/1163542443213676545
“If you can float enough disinformation into circulation you will totally abolish everyone’s contact with reality, probably your own included.” — Philip K Dick

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

CNN reports she's out as of 5:30pm 8/28/.
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot!"

Addie

Re: WITHDRAWN: Kirsten Gillibrand 2020

Post by Addie »

Kirsten Gillibrand

@SenGillibrand
Today, I am ending my campaign for president.

I am so proud of this team and all we've accomplished. But I think it’s important to know how you can best serve.

To our supporters: Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Now, let's go beat Donald Trump and win back the Senate.
Adding:
Associated Press: Kirsten Gillibrand Drops Out of 2020 Presidential Race

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Orlylicious wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:39 pm
CNN reports she's out as of 5:30pm 8/28/.
Franken my dear, I don't give a damn.
I've heard this bull before.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Somewhere in Minnesota Al Franken is smiling.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 pm
I know I am.

I have no time for politicians who, in a time of crisis, weaken their own party and, by extension, the people they represent, by turning on another party member for personal gain.

I feel the same about those freshman Democratic Congressional reps who are behaving like the annoying new hire in the workplace - you know the type. The one who has absolutely no idea and no experience, but who makes it her mission to go around and tell all the established employees that they're doing their work wrong, and instructing them on how and what they should be doing.
I've heard this bull before.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

DejaMoo wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 pm
I know I am.

I have no time for politicians who, in a time of crisis, weaken their own party and, by extension, the people they represent, by turning on another party member for personal gain.

I feel the same about those freshman Democratic Congressional reps who are behaving like the annoying new hire in the workplace - you know the type. The one who has absolutely no idea and no experience, but who makes it her mission to go around and tell all the established employees that they're doing their work wrong, and instructing them on how and what they should be doing.
I'll cordially disagree, not only because I don't think personal gain was particularly high on the list for any of the women you're talking about, but because I think the issues they raise are huge and historically ignored. And as such destined to be disapproved of by the old guard. Also I do not want or admire the sort of "unified" party that the R's currently espouse, even thought the MSM constantly chastises the Dem's for not being "unified" as if that were a good thing.

Specifically, I'm really glad the Squad is bringing up the subjects they're bringing up: racism, Islamophobia, green new deal. At rather great personal risk.

As for Gillibrand, she is my senator, and as progressive as it gets. I adore her and gave her a few pennies to help her get into the first two debates. Her mistake with Franken was that she ignored the amazing thing he did by acknowledging that the behavior his social set condoned was appalling and by being willing to work to change the still seething poison of sexism and sexual entitlement that is rampant in this country. By being one of those who wanted him to resign from the senate, she only strengthened the deny-deny-deny mindset of those who have acted as he acted or who have stood silently by while others did. I believe our only hope of rooting out this shit is a truth and reconciliation approach. She did solidify her reputation as scrupulously nonpartisan when it came to #metoo, and that's a good thing, but she, like most, failed to acknowledge the breadth of the problem, and that's a shame.

But if Gillibrand was acting for personal gain, there is no politician in the country who cannot be so labeled--with much bigger labels.

(Sorry for awkward phrasing. I's pooped.)
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

I quite liked Gillibrand—I donated at the start and if it had ever looked like she had a fighting chance she might’ve been one of my top picks. I don’t blame her for Franken’s mistakes or his departure, tho if she had anything to do with the latter, then good for her. I hope she has a long career ahead of her.
“If you can float enough disinformation into circulation you will totally abolish everyone’s contact with reality, probably your own included.” — Philip K Dick

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m glad she’s out. She (along with others) totally fucked up the military justice system relating to sexual assault (the 2012 amendments were held unconstitutional).

The law used to be pretty clear. Now when I get an appellate case on my desk I spend about 40 minutes trying to figure out exactly what it is the guy is charged with. I have to look at the charge sheet, and compare it with the statute, and it takes me quite a long time to figure it out. Sometimes I can’t figure it out. It goes without saying, but if I can’t figure it out, and I do this shit for a living, how’s a guy with a GED supposed to know?
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Amber Phillips
The undeniable Al Franken connection to Kirsten Gillibrand’s failed presidential bid

There are multiple reasons Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D-N.Y.) presidential campaign failed. But one of the undeniable anchors for her was a sentiment among the Democratic base that she was the reason Al Franken got pushed out of the Senate.

Franken was a liberal darling and among the highest-profile members of Congress to lose their job in the Me Too era. At first, as multiple women made misconduct allegations against Franken — spanning a decade — Senate Democrats called for an ethics investigation (which could languish for years) but did not ask him to resign.

Then, suddenly and all at once, they did ask for his resignation. Senate Democratic women led the call for Franken to go, and the first senator to say it was Gillibrand.

As I wrote then, literally minutes after Gillibrand became the first sitting Democratic senator to call on Franken to resign, she stepped up to a lectern in the Capitol and introduced legislation to make it easier for accusers to bring sexual harassment claims against their employers. The optics of trying to change the culture of sexual harassment in the workplace while giving Franken the benefit of the doubt would have been terrible for Gillibrand and other supporters of the bill.

And, ostensibly, terrible for her future 2020 presidential campaign. She ran on being THE champion for women’s rights, particularly abortion rights. She spoke about her stories of gendered harassment long before it was a hashtag to do so. That persona ultimately didn’t help separate her from the field, but it was part of her identity as a national figure and one she had to guard carefully.

Return to “Presidential Election”