Kamala Harris 2020

Notorial Dissent

Re: Kamala Harris 2020

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:41 pm

neonzx wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:39 pm
Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:35 pm
Kamal is, I think, Orbly's worst nightmare and bête noire, because she is all the things Orbly can and will NEVER be. As being competent and female wasn't bad enough.
and a natural born citizen. :dance: 8-)
She may well be President some day, something else Orlena will NEVER be.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 am

Fox and Friends briefly covered her speech, after the big caravan update. Hegseth said he thought she had a strong presence, but would the rest of the country go for her California politics? This surprised me, they couldn't come up with any catty comments.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 am

Newsweek: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Gets Major Endorsement on New Green Deal From Presidential Candidate Kamala Harris

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:03 pm

https://politicalcharge.org/2019/02/15/ ... ending#469
Kamala Harris: The 7 Issues Guide

The Democrats have a big field of candidates running for President in 2020. To briefly use a sports analogy, I see our candidates as the starting players on the Blue team, each bringing their own unique strengths to the table in a bid to take our country in a very different direction than the one we’re on today.

But as we well know from 2016, the media (and especially social media) gets fixated on non-substantial issues that take up all the oxygen. Plus, they don’t give the candidates the same treatment or the same amount of airtime.

In order to help voters get to know the Democratic candidates, I’ve enlisted the help of a team of terrific volunteers who have helped gather quotes and information about what the candidates have said or done in regards to the 7 issues that midterm voters identified as the most important. I hope that these guides serve as a helpful starting point for you as you look into which candidates (or how many candidates!) you are interested in supporting in their bid to become our next President.

Today, let’s get to know Kamala Harris!
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Politico: Gavin Newsom endorses Kamala Harris for president

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:24 pm

Whoops, there goes the Estiveo vote. :lol:
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 pm

She's dead to me now.
Image Image Image Image Image

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:07 pm

The Hill
Harris adds key Clinton aide, women of color to 2020 campaign: report

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) has added several women of color to her 2020 campaign staff, including a key ex-aide to Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, Politico reported Wednesday.

The former Clinton aide, Emmy Ruiz, will advise the Harris campaign on electoral, political and field strategy, according to Politico. Ruiz in 2016 served as Clinton's Nevada state director and Colorado state director.

Politico reported that the Harris campaign has also hired Missayr Boker, Julie Chávez Rodriguez, Rosa Mendoza and Joyce Kazadi.

Boker and Rodriguez will work as co-national political directors. Boker last year was the campaign director for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. Rodriguez will join the campaign from Harris's Senate office.

Mendoza will serve as analytics director and Kazadi as advance director for the Harris campaign. Mendoza was previously the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee's head of analytics and Kazadi worked in 2016 on the Clinton campaign as national advance lead, according to Politico.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:06 am

I'm trying to keep an open mind about the Dems' candidates, except Bernie, but I really like Kamala Harris.

https://www.wonkette.com/kamala-harris- ... -right-now

Video is embedded in the article.
Kamala Harris Was On 'The Daily Show' And It Was Delightful And You Watch It Right Now!

Harris talked to Trevor Noah about ALL OF IT.

She talked about the really dumb part of campaigning, where you are in South Carolina and superfuckingidiots on the internet decide you are not black enough because you "pandered" by putting hot sauce on your greens (?????), but what we loved about it is that instead of being a politician about it, Harris talked about what happens when you have been campaigning and you are so fucking hungry that you end up getting "primal" about eating, like "BACK THE YOU KNOW WHAT OFF!" (Those were her words. And by "you know what," she meant "fuck.")

But she wasn't done talking about the stupidness of the press following candidates around to monitor their meal consumption. She STOOD UP to imitate the press standing around saying things like

"What's she gonna ORDER? What's she gonna ORDER? Did she order meat, or did she just order, like, a salad?" Right? And I'm like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:45 pm

A Bernie cultist a-hole I know here was hoping for Hillary to join the race again, so he could rev up the hate machine against her one more time. But she isn't playing, so in her absence he seems to have decided that Kamala is Hillary.

His great contribution to the slurs against her is he calls her Comma-la. I'm totally underwhelmed. :smoking:

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:38 pm

Foggy, I’m not able to post it but there’s an adorable ad about her name pronunciation (using cute kids) when she was running for Senator. Apparently it really IS comma-la.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 am

It is. Kamala is a name for the lotus flower, and appears frequently in Hindu literature. Most Sanskrit-based names are trochaic (Lakshmi, Shiva, Krishna) as are most Judeo-Christian first names (David, Joseph, Mary, Peter). Iambic names are in the minority (Elizabeth, Alphoso, Amanda).

So “KA-ma-la” it is.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:15 pm

I wasn't sure what this hubbub was about and I hadn't read the Times article. Is this the worst of it?

LA Times
Harassment and retaliation claims during Kamala Harris’ time as California’s top cop led to $1.1 million in settlements

The California Department of Justice paid more than $1.1 million to settle claims with employees who alleged they were sexually harassed or retaliated against by co-workers during the tenure of then-state Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris from 2011 to 2017, according to documents obtained by The Times.

The cases, which were disclosed this week in response to a California Public Records Act request, come weeks after Harris launched her presidential bid, bringing new scrutiny to her record. The incidents included allegations that DOJ employees sexually harassed and retaliated against co-workers, including claims involving inappropriate touching and cases in which workers felt uncomfortable with the comments and actions of others.

Harris, a Democrat who was elected to the Senate in 2016, did not know about the cases settled by the DOJ until they were brought to her attention by The Times, said her spokesman, Chris Harris.

The senator said she takes responsibility for what happened in her office when she was California’s top cop.

“As the chief executive of a department of nearly 5,000 employees, the buck stopped with me,” Harris said in a statement. “No one should face harassment or intimidation in the workplace, and victims of sexual misconduct should be listened to, believed and protected.”

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1102033368819085312
POLITICO
‏Verified account @politico

Kamala Harris is connecting with audiences — sometimes to a fault

https://t.co/MwXEn3nwcu
6:30 PM - 2 Mar 2019
AAAAGH! NOW SHE'S TOO LIKEABLE!!! OMG!!!

:bored: Yes, it's really easy to satisfy the media. :bored:
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:26 am

Suranis wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1102033368819085312
POLITICO
‏Verified account @politico

Kamala Harris is connecting with audiences — sometimes to a fault

https://t.co/MwXEn3nwcu
6:30 PM - 2 Mar 2019
AAAAGH! NOW SHE'S TOO LIKEABLE!!! OMG!!!

:bored: Yes, it's really easy to satisfy the media. :bored:
Off Topic
I'm afeared that ratings will go down if Trump is not re-elected. Of course, the media can always cover the uncivil 'war' that will break out if he's not elected again, not to mention his probable endless legal battles once he returns to private citizen status, but somehow maybe not the same as covering the constant dumpster fire of his administration.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 am

Yeah, and we should always choose our leaders based on whoever is going to get the best ratings. :P

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 am
Yeah, and we should always choose our leaders based on whoever is going to get the best ratings. :P
Off Topic
Hey, I'm just the messenger here. I do think media unfortunately can be quite influential. We went through more than 12 months of nothing but Trump TV and 'butter emails' prior to November 2016. I guess I shoulda said "I'm afeared" and left it at that.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:03 pm

I most definitely was not criticizing you, ma'am. I was agreeing with you. :blink:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:03 pm
I most definitely was not criticizing you, ma'am. I was agreeing with you. :blink:
:kiss: I knew that. :lovestruck:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 am

Politico
What a Kamala Harris Meme Can Teach Us About Fighting Fake News in 2020

I tracked the spread of a bogus claim about the candidate. Here’s what I learned. ...

As the 2020 campaign gets underway, manipulated, disruptive and misleading content has already emerged. Researchers, for instance, have identified a group of Twitter accounts that have begun coordinating negative messaging—laced with racist and sexist stereotypes—directed at various Democrats. One of the key problems with policing this kind of content is that even if individual platforms do their part, misinformation is platform-agnostic; it jumps from one site to another, sometimes bursting from the darkest corners of the internet to the most open public squares too quickly for any one company to intervene. A meme that is “downranked” on Facebook for, say, a false headline can still find its way to Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or Reddit.

For a window into how this works—and what we’re missing—consider one particularly widespread meme: an attack on Kamala Harris preposterously comparing the senator, who is the daughter of Jamaican and Indian immigrants, to Rachel Dolezal, a white woman who made false claims about being black. To find out where this meme came from, I tracked down its first appearance on the internet through a series of exhaustive reverse-image searches; I then mapped its spread by conducting an analysis of all open-source image- or text-based claims tying together Harris and Dolezal. On social media, I also identified a loose network of hyperpartisans and conspiracists who worked to amplify the claim into the mainstream.

The first recorded appearance of the meme was a May 2018 Reddit post the on r/The_Donald message board, a popular hub for disinformation. From there, the idea hopped to Pinterest, Twitter, 4chan’s “politically correct” message board, as well as Gab and Voat, two “alternative” platforms that emerged as hubs of toxic information after the 2016 election. By the time Harris had announced her presidential run earlier this year, the meme had been shared more than 100 times, including across conspiracy-themed Facebook groups, several websites and a known neo-Nazi web forum.

The Harris/Dolezal meme was part of a larger ecosystem of anti-Harris memes and stories questioning her identity. The best-known is the false claim that Harris, who was born in Oakland, California, is not eligible to run for president because she was born to foreign nationals and was raised partly outside the United States.

This idea, which was traced by Media Matters, first percolated in a July 2017 tweet from an anonymous account. The claim popped up now and again for more than a year after that—in a series of May 2018 Reddit memes and on the blogs of two known conspiracists who in the past have pushed birther theories about Barack Obama and others. Memes about this attack on Harris re-emerged at the time of her presidential announcement in January, fueled largely by two tweets—one from a since-suspended QAnon conspiracy account and the other from a since-suspended Twitter user named Jacob Wohl, who had 185,000 followers and whose false claims about Harris’ “naturalization status” were retweeted more than 6,000 times. Within hours of Harris’ announcement, both recycled and new memes had flooded the feeds of conspiracy-adjacent Facebook groups and on 4chan message boards.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm

My preferred ticket as of March 2019

Harris - Warren (either way). Would also be fine with Gillibrand instead of Warren.

I think I've said the above before, but I feel the need to check my brain ever few months, and these 2020 candidate threads make a handy tracker.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:52 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm
My preferred ticket as of March 2019

Harris - Warren (either way). Would also be fine with Gillibrand instead of Warren.

I think I've said the above before, but I feel the need to check my brain ever few months, and these 2020 candidate threads make a handy tracker.
Mine is Harris/Buttigieg(sp?) or Harris/Warren.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

LA Times
A political awakening: How Howard University shaped Kamala Harris’ identity

The war on drugs had erupted, apartheid was raging, Jesse Jackson would soon make the campus a staging ground for his inaugural presidential bid. Running for student office in 1982 at Howard University — the school that nurtured Thurgood Marshall, Toni Morrison and Stokely Carmichael — was no joke.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) has been known to break the ice with voters by proclaiming the freshman-year campaign in which she won a seat on the Liberal Arts Student Council her toughest political race. Those who were at the university with her are not so sure she is kidding.

It was at Howard that the senator’s political identity began to take shape. Thirty-three years after she graduated in 1986, the university in the nation’s capital, one of the country’s most prominent historically black institutions, also serves as a touchstone in a campaign in which political opponents have questioned the authenticity of her black identity.

“I reference often my days at Howard to help people understand they should not make assumptions about who black people are,” Harris said in a recent interview.

Kamala Harris for the People

ActBlue Donate

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Politico
Kamala puts Beto on notice with trip to Texas

The California Democrat is making a concerted play for delegates in O'Rourke's home state, starting with a visit this weekend.

Kamala is coming after Beto — in his own backyard.

Hours before the former El Paso congressman unveiled his presidential bid, Harris announced she was heading to Texas — an unmistakable warning shot at a fellow upstart competing to capture the imagination of Democratic voters.

She’ll meet Friday outside Dallas with Tarrant County Democrats, then it’s on to Houston Saturday for a big rally at Texas Southern University in Houston. It’s the start of a sustained, delegate-focused strategy that aims to take advantage of the front-loaded primary calendar in which Texas and California will significantly shape the race on March 3.

Harris has already reached out to Congressional Black Caucus members from Texas, including Reps. Eddie Bernice Johnson, Sheila Jackson Lee, Al Green, Colin Allred and Marc Veasey, according to a Democrat familiar with the calls.

The aggressive maneuvering is the surest sign yet that for all of O’Rourke’s appeal at home — owing to his tantalizingly close loss to Republican Sen. Ted Cruz last fall — Harris isn’t ceding Texas to O’Rourke or his fellow Texan Julián Castro, the former Obama-era Housing and Urban Development secretary from San Antonio. If anything, it’s the opposite: She wants to make clear that she’s willing to go toe-to-toe with O’Rourke, the charismatic Gen-Xer who starts the race with more money and a similar knack for drawing media and exciting audiences.

Return to “Presidential Election”