Kamala Harris 2020

Addie

Re: Kamala Harris 2020

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

HuffPo: Kamala Harris Releases Plan To Give Many Dreamers Path To Citizenship Through Executive Action

The proposal would reinterpret U.S. law to give roughly 2 million migrants who arrived as youths a shot at becoming citizens.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am

I have a problem with executive action. What one president gives with executive action, another president takes away. There needs to be a mechanism in place to finalize executive actions. Having them in place for a certain number of years being one of the qualifiers. Grandfathering those affected would be another.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am
I have a problem with executive action. What one president gives with executive action, another president takes away. There needs to be a mechanism in place to finalize executive actions. Having them in place for a certain number of years being one of the qualifiers. Grandfathering those affected would be another.
I agree in general, but in this case I think an "undoable" executive action is OK. Once they're citizens they're going to stay that way, even if the original order is rescinded.

And then hopefully we modernize our immigration policies so we don't have another group of children growing up in limbo.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 am

The Hill
Kamala Harris rallies with McDonald's workers striking for higher wages

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) rallied with McDonald's workers striking in Nevada on Friday, where she told a crowd that workers at the franchise should be paid "livable wages."

At a strike in Las Vegas organized by the activist group Fight for $15, the California senator marched with protesters before addressing a crowd, speaking about her own experience working as a former student.

"I worked at McDonald's. I was a student when I worked at McDonald's," she said. "There was not a family relying on me to pay the rent, put food on the table."

"But the reality of McDonald's is that a majority of the folks who are working there today are relying on that income to sustain a household and a family," Harris said. "We have got to recognize that working people deserve livable wages."

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Here's a MSNBC livestream of the Democrats in South Carolina:

Kamala kicked it off this morning... of course, Donald is trying to flood the zone so he went out to step on here. However, the feed failed :lol: so they went back to Senator Harris. This clip has that, some of her remarks, and reaction. The panel thought she was amazing and on fire, when Senator Warren followed they thought Liz needs to get the energy up.

It's pissing me off but we still don't connect with her, we're trying. But when she started using a drawl and using "ain't", we found it distracting. But clearly she is a strong contender and if she keeps this energy and message (she referred to Donald's "rap sheet"), anything can happen.
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 am

CBS News
Kamala Harris describes tension in the Democratic Party over impeachment

2020 Democratic hopeful Sen. Kamala Harris of California reiterated her support for impeachment proceedings against President Trump but admitted there is tension within the Democratic party over moving forward. In an interview with CBS News political correspondent Ed O'Keefe, Harris said that she believes impeachment is "the existential question."

"This is the tension which is, do you stand to fight for these principles that were part of the — the spirit behind the design of our democracy, checks and balances, accountability?" Harris asked. "Or do you stand with strategy, which is what is the ultimate goal and if it's saying that this guy should not be in office and if this could hurt the chances of winning an election, should you hold off?"

Harris is one of five 2020 candidates who have called for an impeachment inquiry, having first addressed the issue during a CNN Town Hall in April. Even at that time, the former California attorney general said she was a "realist" and that it was doubtful that Senate Republicans would back removing the president from office.

She told CBS News that there were arguably 11 counts of obstruction of justice worth pursuing against Mr. Trump in the Mueller report.

"If you also go on to read what's in these documents and including that memo, you will know that it leaves open explicitly the right of Congress and perhaps the duty, even, of Congress to act. And the way Congress then must act, is to take a look at this and open an inquiry into what exactly was the conduct and whether there should be accountability for that conduct," Harris said.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm

BuzzFeed News
A New Racist Campaign Against Kamala Harris Is Taking Shape

“Seeing the tweets declaring that Kamala isn’t black enough because her parents are from Jamaica and India, I had an immediate flashback to the 2008 campaign.”

Not long after Sen. Kamala Harris challenged Joe Biden’s record on race during part two of the first Democratic debate last night, a barrage of tweets questioned her race and US citizenship. While these claims erupted into national prominence last night, in part due to a quote-tweet from Donald Trump Jr., falsehoods about her have long been simmering in fringe conspiracy and neo-Nazi circles.

Just as Barack Obama’s US citizenship and background became a full-fledged conspiracy theory — promoted at the time by Donald Trump — Harris has also been targeted with disinformation questioning her race and legitimacy as a US citizen. Obama birther conspiracy theorists and prominent neo-Nazis, including Andrew Anglin, have questioned her eligibility to run for president, and she’s been labeled an “anchor baby.”

In fact, Harris was born in Oakland to an Indian mother and Jamaican father, and is eligible to run for president.

“Seeing the tweets declaring that Kamala isn’t black enough because her parents are from Jamaica and India, I had an immediate flashback to the 2008 campaign,” Shauna Daly, who led the fight against online smears on the Obama campaign, told BuzzFeed News. That campaign faced an early wave of rumors about Obama’s race and religion, which later coalesced into false claims about the president’s birthplace, whose most famous champion was Donald Trump.

The senator’s campaign didn’t comment on the claims after being contacted by BuzzFeed News. However, Harris herself is alert to the pattern and made a connection between claims made about her and Obama birtherism in a February radio interview later broadcast on CNN.
Adding:
Daily Beast: Kamala Harris Is Surging and Birtherism Is Back

The 2020 candidate is facing a play straight out of the racist birther playbook used against Barack Obama when he ran for president.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:45 pm
BuzzFeed News
A New Racist Campaign Against Kamala Harris Is Taking Shape
Buzzfeed:
One of the earliest attempts to paint her as ineligible for the presidency came in 2017 from a California man who has spent years pushing the false Obama birther conspiracy. Gary Wilmot wrote the senator a letter that year telling her she should withdraw from the race.

“In this age of Trump, where the current president was fully informed of Obama’s identity fraud and lack of constitutional eligibility in April of 2011 (just weeks prior to Obama’s forged birth certificate release), you can expect ferocious opposition from equal opportunity ‘birthers’ such as myself who only want the Constitution respected,” the letter said, in part.

“I’m an equal opportunity birther,” Wilmot told BuzzFeed News in a phone call. He said he’s a 67-year-old private citizen who will probably keep speaking about Kamala Harris’s eligibility.

His letter was posted to the website of the American Resistance Party, which holds far-right views on immigration, abortion, and religion. Wilmot said he is unaffiliated with the party and didn’t know it published his letter before BuzzFeed News asked him about it.

Wilmot’s claims were also picked up by other Obama birth certificate conspiracy theorists. In August 2018, a website called the Post & Email published an article titled “Is Kamala Harris Eligible to Be President?” That site is run by Sharon Rondeau, whose bio says she is focused on “the Obama birth certificate investigation.”

Its article received more than 14,000 shares, likes, and reactions on Facebook and was tweeted more than 10,000 times, according to data from CrowdTangle, a social media analytics service.
It must make Rondeau and Wilmot proud to see their efforts juxtaposed with The Daily Stormer's.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 am

Sadly, I think Kamala Harris Birtherism 2.0 is enough to be its own topic, started one but if mods want to keep it here it's cool with me. I just have a feeling the Harris campaign vs. the Harris birthering may both be big if she keeps rocketing up. Pretty obvious this was a setup by Don Jr to test the waters, @ali and Cernovich and the trolls have decided to go full blast on this (already!).
Avatar Photo: Dedicated to Slim by the International Brotherhood of Weasels.
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:15 am

Orlylicious wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 am
Sadly, I think Kamala Harris Birtherism 2.0 is enough to be its own topic, started one but if mods want to keep it here it's cool with me.
Once the lawsuits start being filed, someone will create dedicated topics for them. :-

(And, yes, I guar-ant-ee lawsuits will be filed; the usual birthers just can't wait!)

bob

Post by bob » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:44 am

BuzzFeed wrote:Not long after Sen. Kamala Harris challenged Joe Biden’s record on race during part two of the first Democratic debate last night, a barrage of tweets questioned her race and US citizenship. While these claims erupted into national prominence last night, in part due to a quote-tweet from Donald Trump Jr., falsehoods about her have long been simmering in fringe conspiracy and neo-Nazi circles.
Daily Beast: Kamala Harris Is Surging and Birtherism Is Back:
The 2020 candidate is facing a play straight out of the racist birther playbook used against Barack Obama when he ran for president.

A spokesman for Trump Jr. said Trump sent the tweet originally because he had not known that Harris’s mother was Indian.

“Don’s tweet was simply him asking if it’s true that Kamala Harris was half-Indian because it’s not something he had ever heard before and once he saw that folks were misconstruing the intent of his tweet he quickly deleted it,” the spokesman said.
:roll:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 am

I agree that Kamala birtherism posts should generally be in Orlylicious's thread for that. But I won't create a separate forum for Kamala birtherism unless she is going to be the nominee. I mean, if someone else is the nominee, it loses some relevance.
Every locked door has a key. - Emika Chen

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:55 am

Your call, as always, Fogs. I have no objection to Orlylicious's thread, FWIW.
Foggy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 am
I agree that Kamala birtherism posts should generally be in Orlylicious's thread for that. But I won't create a separate forum for Kamala birtherism unless she is going to be the nominee. I mean, if someone else is the nominee, it loses some relevance.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Politico: ‘Her ambition got it wrong about Joe’: Harris faces debate backlash

Biden supporters lash out against Kamala Harris.
Associated Press: Harris lands 2020 endorsement from 2 Black Caucus members

BALTIMORE (AP) — Two more members of the Congressional Black Caucus are backing Kamala Harris’s bid for the presidency. Reps. Bobby Rush of Illinois and Frederica Wilson of Florida are supporting the California Democrat’s presidential bid. Endorsements from the caucus, which counts more than 50 members, are shaping up to be very influential in the Democratic presidential primary. The pair of endorsements bring Harris’s total CBC endorsements to six.
Morning Consult: Harris Surges After First Democratic Debates

12% of primary voters pick California senator as first choice for president, up 6 points from before debate ...

That vaults her past South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg of Indiana and into a third-place tie with Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts.
Washington Monthly: Kamala Harris Has Some Explaining To Do

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 am

:cantlook:

New York Mag
Kamala Harris wants to bring busing back.

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) is standing by her support for busing as an effective tool the federal government should use to help desegregate schools.

The 2020 presidential candidate doubled down on her busing comments Sunday in San Francisco after participating in the city’s Pride Parade, according to Bloomberg.

“I support busing,” she told reporters outside city hall. “Listen, the schools of America are as segregated, if not more segregated today than when I was in elementary school. And we need to put every effort, including busing, into play to desegregate the schools.”

tek

Post by tek » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 am

Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 am

New York Mag
Unforced error. Losing focus.

In general, the whole crew's diffuse and muddled messages - helped along by the media and stupid debate moderators - ("Cancel Student Debt!" "Free Healthcare for Illegals!" "Government-run Healthcare") are really not helping things.
There's no way back
from there to here

realist

Post by realist » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 am
Addie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:16 am

New York Mag
Unforced error. Losing focus.

In general, the whole crew's diffuse and muddled messages - helped along by the media and stupid debate moderators - ("Cancel Student Debt!" "Free Healthcare for Illegals!" "Government-run Healthcare") are really not helping things.
:yeah:

Except she is doubling down on her insistence that busing should be brought back. So back to the future. :(

This entire crew of candidates is just overall bad. Not all in the same way, but bad nonetheless. It does not give me hope for 2020 as I envision even some Democrats can not vote for any of them so will just stay home.

I won't stay home, but there are some of them I'd have to think long and hard about before voting for them. Some of them perhaps could do well at a Senate run or even the House, though, which we also need control of.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:26 pm

realist wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

This entire crew of candidates is just overall bad. Not all in the same way, but bad nonetheless. It does not give me hope for 2020 as I envision even some Democrats can not vote for any of them so will just stay home.

I won't stay home, but there are some of them I'd have to think long and hard about before voting for them. Some of them perhaps could do well at a Senate run or even the House, though, which we also need control of.
Compared to whom? Seriously.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Political Wire
Harris Raised Just $12 Million Last Quarter

Sen. Kamala Harris raised nearly $12 million in the past three months, the New York Times reports.

“Ms. Harris’s total for the second quarter of the year, which ended on Sunday, was padded by a strong finish. She collected more than $2 million in online donations in the first 24 hours after the start of last Thursday’s Democratic debate, as well as an additional $1.2 million online last weekend, her team said.”

“Ms. Harris’s second-quarter number is far below what some other first-tier candidates reported this week.”

It’s probably not a mistake she announced it on the Friday of a holiday weekend.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 pm

realist wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm
Except she is doubling down on her insistence that busing should be brought back. So back to the future. :(
Yeah, :yeah: I don't know why she doubled-down on the busing. :doh:

We're not going to have a 'perfect' nominee. (does that even exist)? Obama was my third choice in 2008 -- not because I didn't respect him -- I just didn't think a black guy could win. The Bro did! And I cried real tears. And then even Obama disappointed me on some issues during his Presidency, but I accepted the tradeoff.

One of the current top contenders in this Primary/Caucus season is going to get the nomination. And you'll hear every smear thrown at them -- they are too old, too young, too radical, too out of touch, etc.

End of the day, it will be fine.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 pm

:like:

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:11 am

TIME: Kamala Harris Clarifies Her Stance on School Busing

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:10 am

ABC News
Harris takes fresh aim at Biden's debate remarks on busing, calls them 'revisionist history'

Sen. Kamala Harris is taking fresh aim at fellow 2020 hopeful Vice President Joe Biden over his remarks on busing in the first Democratic debate, calling his efforts to explain himself "revisionist history."

"I'm not going to let us engage on a debate stage for who's going to be the next president of the United States -- I’m not going to allow us to engage in revisionist history,” Harris said in a taping of the popular New York-based syndicated radio program "The Breakfast Club," which aired Friday morning.

"I can't stand on that stage and allow certain conversations to be taking place," Harris told the radio hosts.

When asked by host Charlamagne tha God if she's for or against busing, Harris said she was for the federally mandated policy at the time.

Harris and Biden have been trading barbs for two weeks after the heated exchange at the debate. Their dispute has continued to be personal, with Harris making up T-shirts using a photo of her as a young girl in California who was bused and Biden saying he was surprised considering Harris knew his deceased son Beau when both served as state attorneys general.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am

Busing is not Harris' path to the White House. But that's pretty much all she has to put distance between herself and her future running mate.

Bad tactics.

Return to “Presidential Election”