Kamala Harris 2020

TexasFilly

Re: Kamala Harris 2020

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:24 am

Like I said, she's inconsistent.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Newsweek
Kamala Harris No Longer Supports Bernie Sanders' Medicare for All Plan

California Senator and 2020 presidential candidate Kamala Harris is backing away from Medicare for All, just two years after she co-sponsored the bill in the Senate.

Speaking at a Hamptons fundraiser to corporate executives and one-percenters, Harris explained that she has "not been comfortable" with the healthcare plan written by her 2020 competitor Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.

"I think almost every member of the United States Senate who's running for President and many others, have signed on to a variety of plans in the Senate. And I have done the same," she said at the fundraiser, according to her campaign. "[A]ll of them are good ideas, which is why I support them. And I support Medicare for All. But as you may have noticed, over the course of many months, I've not been comfortable with Bernie's plan, the Medicare for All plan."

In August of 2017, Harris became the first Senator to co-sponsor the plan. She continued to express support for it during her presidential campaign, sending out a press release in April of 2019 where she wrote that "Medicare for All finally makes sure every American has affordable, comprehensive health care."

Harris campaign spokesman Ian Sams told The Daily Beast that "there's a difference between signing onto a good idea and running on a plan." He continued: "Senator Harris was hearing from lots of voters real concerns, specifically about proactively abolishing private insurance, the four year transition, middle class tax hikes, and so she came up with her own plan to adjust for those that, frankly, is better than his."
Adding:
The Hill: Sanders hits Harris after she criticizes his 'Medicare for All' plan

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Washington Monthly - David Burke: Kamala Harris Is A Risk Democrats Shouldn’t Take

There are more qualified candidates to prosecute the case against four more years of Donald Trump.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:29 pm

I agree with you Filly, same feeling and disappointed. While maybe VP (I see Stern's point), Democrats don't need Cali... having a VP nominee from Florida (Gillum), Georgia (Abrams), even Texas (Beto, now that would be interesting) seem more likely. Certainly Harris would be a choice for AG (that office must stink!) but she also, like Warren, could be most effective in the US Senate.
Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

bob

Post by bob » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:00 pm

In the event of a Democratic administration (that did not include Harris on the ticket), her Senate seat would be about the safest to "lose," i.e., she should most certainly be offered AGOTUS (in exchange for a timely concession).
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

The Atlantic - Conor Friedersdorf: When Kamala Was a Top Cop

If elected, can the candidate be trusted to hold government officials accountable and oversee a progressive criminal-justice system? Her past says no.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:52 pm

SFGate: Trump campaign official: Kamala Harris is 'the one who scares me the most in the general'
CNN: The highs and lows of Kamala Harris' roller coaster summer
Bloomberg: Why Kamala Harris Hasn’t Caught Fire in the Democratic 2020 Race

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Wall Street Journal (paywall)
Kamala Harris’s Team Huddles to Plot Path Forward

The Californian’s advisers and donors are trying to figure out how she can move up in the 2020 field

Top advisers to Sen. Kamala Harris made their case to major donors behind closed doors in two meetings in New York on Friday, telling them they were working on defining the California Democrat with a more refined core message.

In the first meeting with a broader group, Ms. Harris’s sister and campaign chairwoman, Maya Harris, along with media consultant Jim Margolis, were questioned by some donors on the senator’s stagnant poll numbers in the Democratic presidential primary. The Harris aides talked up Ms. Harris’s key endorsements.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:44 am

Politico: Internal Kamala Harris document acknowledges 'Summer Slump'

A briefing memo left behind at a New Hampshire restaurant and obtained by POLITICO reveals the issues her staff expected her to be grilled on.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 pm

The Hill
Veteran political journalist warns Harris's lack of presence in New Hampshire could be an issue

A veteran journalist based in New Hampshire said Monday Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) hasn’t visited the Granite State as much as her fellow Democratic presidential contenders, and warned that this could hurt her in the early primary state.

“She hasn’t been here a lot and that’s kind of a touchy issue for her,” Paul Steinhauser told Hill.TV, referring to Harris. “I asked her about that again right after her convention speech and she once again vowed, ‘I’m going to be here a lot,’ but she’s been saying that all year.”

“She hasn’t made the number of visits that the other top contenders have made and that could be an issue for her when people get to vote here in the New Hampshire primary,” he added.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am

To me, it looks like we're down to 3 viable contendahs, and she's not one of them.

It's down to Liz, Bernie, and Joe. :daydream:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:42 pm

LA Times
Why Kamala Harris needs to recapture that magic in Thursday’s debate

In the nearly eight months since she formally launched her White House bid, California’s U.S. senator has fallen into a familiar pattern. Exhilarating highs — her artfully executed announcement, her Senate grilling of attorney general nominee William Barr, her standout performance in June’s first presidential debate — followed by extended doldrums that stalled her momentum and erased those gains.

At the same time, her campaign has had to adjust its strategy to account for the strength of rivals Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren, placing greater emphasis on the Iowa caucuses and forcing Harris to scramble against opponents with a considerable head start courting activists and snapping up the state’s top political talent.

Now mired well back in the crowded pack, Harris faces intense pressure for a standout performance in Thursday’s debate and, beyond that, greater facility at the up-close style of engaging voters that is worlds away from the TV-driven, media-centric campaigns she has grown accustomed to in California.

In a two-day swing through New Hampshire last weekend, Harris struck a determined — if slightly exasperated — posture as she repeatedly fielded questions about her difficult summer.

“Everybody else and the pundits can ride polls. I’m not on that roller coaster,” she told reporters at the state Democratic Party convention Saturday in Manchester. “I am working hard. We are steady. I don’t get high with the polls, I don’t get low with the polls.”

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:43 pm

It's what I've been saying all along: she's inconsistent.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

bob

Post by bob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am
To me, it looks like we're down to 3 viable contendahs, and she's not one of them.

It's down to Liz, Bernie, and Joe.
Nate Silver disagrees, and says it is 4.5 person race (with Buttigieg being on the fence as a top-tier candidate).

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am

Nate Silver said there was a 95% chance Hillary Clinton would be elected. :daydream:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am
Nate Silver said there was a 95% chance Hillary Clinton would be elected. :daydream:
]]

In fact he didn't. He gave her the lowest chance of any of the major predictors.

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 am

OK. When I'm wrong I'm wrong. :oops:

bob

Post by bob » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 pm

Foggy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 am

It's down to Liz, Bernie, and Joe.
Post-debate, the LAT agrees with you: News Analysis: Democrats head toward a three-person race while the second tier scrambles:
The sprawling Democratic primary field has been headed toward a three-person race, and despite strenuous efforts by the trailing candidates, Thursday’s debate seems unlikely to have significantly changed that.

Former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts have pulled away from the pack in most national and early-state polls over the last month.

Sen. Kamala Harris of California tried to focus on attacking President Trump, not her Democratic rivals — a somewhat surprising stance for a candidate who memorably attacked Biden in their first debate in June and enjoyed a noticeable, if temporary, boost afterward.

Warren and Harris both took time early on to praise Obama’s handling of healthcare, even as they touted plans that would go significantly beyond Obama’s signature Affordable Care Act. Both candidates have been seeking to expand their support among African American voters, a group that gives the edge to Biden and among whom Obama remains especially popular.

Harris’ focus on Trump seemed a response to the political lessons of her first two debates: She had a breakout moment in the first debate attacking Biden, but the polling and fundraising bump proved short-lived. She faltered in the second debate when she tangled with Biden again and was thrown on the defensive.
And 538, in its analysis, notes there is a large gap between the Biden/Sanders/Warren cluster and everyone else on the question of whom voters are considering.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Bernie ain't "viable" no matter what the numbers may say. And women of color won't back Senator Warren. So that leaves us with one candidate now. If he falters it will be wide open again.

Too bad we live in this society. I think Mayor Pete would be an incredible POTUS. Like a gay Kennedy. But we have too many haters and a large booboisee, as H.L. Mencken called them.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm not sure Biden can count on the POC youth vote, who are less conservative than their elders and don't have the long attachment to Biden. Warren interacts well with POC youth, from what I've seen. In addition, Biden seemed feeble and a bit addled last night. I don't see the attraction he'd hold over Warren.
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 pm
Bernie ain't "viable" no matter what the numbers may say. And women of color won't back Senator Warren. So that leaves us with one candidate now. If he falters it will be wide open again.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:49 pm

IMO the only way Biden can get the nomination is if Warren and Biden split the rest of the vote and knock each other off.

To me, Warren has been winning the pre-season hands down.

Bernie was a hoot last night. Full mad scientist mode.

I thought Biden was quite weak. I've loved him all my adult life, and trust him, but he is second tier in terms of everything but promos in this field.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:53 pm

WaPo - Robin Givhan
Kamala Harris grew up in a mostly white world. Then she went to a black university in a black city.

Kamala Harris wanted to go to a black school. That’s what black folks called Howard University in the early 1980s when Harris was a teenager considering her future.

Harris, she would say later, was seeking an experience wholly different from what she had long known. She’d attended majority-white schools her entire life — from elementary school in Berkeley, Calif., to high school in Montreal. Her parents’ professional lives and their personal story were bound up in majority-white institutions. Her father, an economist from Jamaica, was teaching at Stanford University. Her mother, a cancer researcher from India, had done her graduate work at the University of California at Berkeley, where the couple had met and fallen in love. And Harris’s younger sister would eventually enroll at Stanford.

Harris wanted to be surrounded by black students, black culture and black traditions at the crown jewel of historically black colleges and universities.

“When you’re at an HBCU,” Harris says, “and especially one with the size and with the history of Howard University — and also in the context of also being in D.C., which was known forever as being ‘Chocolate City’ — it just becomes about you understanding that there is a whole world of people who are like you. It’s not just about there are a few of us who may find each other.”

Students were drawn to Howard, once called the “black Harvard,” because of its legacy. They believed in its conservative values of racial uplift and personal responsibility. A generation of post-civil rights movement children, whose college choices were hindered only by their grades and finances, picked Howard for a lot of reasons, but all of those reasons touched on self-identity — on how they saw themselves moving through a predominantly white world.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:28 pm

New York Times - David Leonhardt
How Kamala Harris Can Make a Comeback

The Democratic field is still flawed.

The most effective presidential candidates are able both to energize their base and persuade the political middle. Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan and F.D.R. all did so. They managed to seem exciting to their party and yet also comfortable for swing voters.

Senator Kamala Harris has the potential to pull off this trick. Her confrontational criticism of President Trump appeals to progressives, as does her relative freshness. Instead of being yet another aging white Baby Boomer, she’s a multiracial woman who’s younger than Obama.

At the same time, her résumé defies some of the caricatures that Republicans use to make swing voters suspicious of Democrats. She is a tough former prosecutor. She was an executive who oversaw thousands of employees.

For these reasons, Harris entered the campaign as a front-runner. Her kickoff rally, in Oakland, drew a larger crowd than any other 2020 event. Sure enough, her odds to win the nomination at one point in early summer, according to the Predictwise betting market, were almost as good as Joe Biden’s and Elizabeth’s Warren’s combined. ...

There is a pattern here. Harris can be too quick to speak or react without thinking. It’s an understandable problem, because running for president is devilishly hard. But the way to get better at it — as past winners have done — is to avoid excuses and be ruthlessly (albeit privately) self-critical.

Her second task is to develop a clearer theory of her campaign’s case. Obama’s was about hope and change. Warren wants to fight for the middle class. Harris stands for … what, exactly? It’s not always evident, not from her vaguely titled book, “The Truths We Hold,” and not from her stump speech. ...

But I come to praise Harris today, not dismiss her. As the savvy political analyst Sean Trende wrote last week, she is the most natural politician in the field, and people are now underrating her chances. Last week, she had a good debate, from her opening statement directed at Trump to her stirring words about the dire peril of climate change — and our ability to overcome it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:38 pm

All of that -- convincing the middle -- is disputed by Rachel Bitecofer. Turning out the base is what's most important. Even Trump intuitively understands that.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 pm

NBC News
As Harris falters, campaign and allies mull next steps ...

With just over four months left until Iowa’s leadoff caucuses, Harris has fallen to 5 percent support in the latest NBC/WSJ poll released Tuesday, putting her in fifth place behind former Vice President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana. ...

When Harris returns to Iowa this weekend for the Polk County Democrats’ Steak Fry, it’ll be her first trip to the state in over a month. She’s visited just 18 of Iowa’s 99 counties so far.

It’s been more than two months since her last visit to South Carolina, where Harris, who is African American, is counting on a robust showing among black voters, who make up the majority of the state’s Democratic primary voters.

And Harris has been in New Hampshire just once in the last two months. ...

With falling poll numbers and a sparse campaign schedule, Harris is in need of a healthy fundraising haul to sustain a robust operation heading into the winter.

Campaign spokesman Ian Sams told NBC that the campaign wants to “make sure we have the nest egg to be competitive and viable through March” and insisted the candidate will be “on the trail a lot more” come October.

Return to “Presidential Election”