Elizabeth Warren 2020

Addie

Elizabeth Warren 2020

Post by Addie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:32 am

Politico
Elizabeth Warren forges a 2020 machine

The Massachusetts senator’s aides have been quietly shopping for presidential campaign headquarters space in the Boston area.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren has the core of her 2020 team in place if she runs for president. She has the seed money — there’s $12.5 million ready to go, left over from her recent Senate run — and a massive email list she’s amassed over years, boosted by a $3.3 million investment in digital infrastructure and advertising in the last election alone. Her aides have been quietly shopping for presidential campaign headquarters space in the Boston area in recent weeks, according to a source with knowledge of the move.

All that’s left is for her to give the green light.

When and if she does, she’ll be rolling out arguably the most advanced and sweeping infrastructure in the Democratic field, a plug-and-play campaign that could give her a massive head start on nearly every contender in the burgeoning primary roster, with only Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) coming close.

So far, Warren has merely said she would “take a hard look” at running for president. People with knowledge of her strategy said she has not yet made a final decision but if she joins the field, Warren will be among the earlier candidates to announce.

Kendra

Re: Elizabeth Warren 2020

Post by Kendra » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am

No link yet, I'm too lazy to find one. CNN reporting Warren has filed an exploratory whatever it's called committee about running.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am

Stay in the Senate please, Senator Warren. You have many qualities I admire, but you're well past your due date. Plus, also, the whole Native American heritage/ DNA test rollout was a fiasco.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:49 am

Kendra wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:35 am
No link yet, I'm too lazy to find one. CNN reporting Warren has filed an exploratory whatever it's called committee about running.
Here's a link to the Washington Post about that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... c3c182dc79
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:49 am

TY.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm

The Whore Shit is staring early.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1080171818235953152
POLITICO
‏Verified account @politico

How does Elizabeth Warren avoid a Clinton redux — written off as too unlikable before her campaign gets off the ground? https://t.co/E6zfTkzNYy
Oh, fuck off.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah. There's a lot of shit that I don't like about Warren 2020 - including her worker-ownership thing, which she knows damn well would face enormous constitutional hurdles that she's not mentioning - but the "is she likeable enough" bullshit is not-well-concealed misogyny.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Fox and Friends talked about her a bit yesterday - I could only last about 30 seconds. Pete Hegseth (I think that's his name) had a guest on and they were hashing over her live Instagram thing and how she looked so bad she was doing more good for the Repubs by looking so bad. Pete had an open beer bottle as a prop to make more fun of her.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Also, they're warming up a Thomas Eagleton-type attack... Trump tweeted "ask her psychiatrist" if she can manage a presidential campaign.

If she actually has a psychiatrist, they'll paint her as crazy for sure. :madguy:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Political Wire
Warren Nabs Obama Chief Digital Strategist

“Joe Rospars, who led former President Obama’s digital strategy in both 2008 and 2012, has joined Warren’s newly launched presidential exploratory committee in a senior capacity,” CNN reports.

He will oversee the senator’s grassroots mobilization, national operations and planning in the early states.”

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:38 pm

I saw Warren speak a few years back. They’re right to be terrified of her. :mrgreen: While I don’t believe she has a snowball’s chance, I’d vote for her.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 pm

I believe she's got a very good chance and I am hung up on whether to support her or Bernie Sanders.

If you compare her, side-by-side, with the Stable Genius, she's everything he isn't.

Some Republicans and cartoonists are leaning heavily on her mention of a First American ancestor, but to me that only shows her family was here for centuries while the Trumps were still stealing pigs in Ireland. In any case, her Indian ancestor is proven to be real (ten generations back,, roughly the Mayflower era) and Trump's bonespurs are proven to be fake.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 pm

BuzzFeed News
Elizabeth Warren Was Asked In Iowa About *That* DNA Test

"My question to you: Why did you undergo the DNA testing and give Donald Trump more fodder to be a bully?" ...

Warren told the crowd in Sioux City that as a young girl in Oklahoma, "like a lot of folks in Oklahoma, we heard family stories of our ancestry."

It wasn't until her first run for office, during her 2012 Senate campaign in Massachusetts, she said, that "Republicans honed in" on the fact that she had self-identified as Native American while a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard.

"A lot of ugly stuff," she said of the Republican attacks. "And so my decision was, I'm just gonna put it all out there. Took a while, but just put it all out there."

"It's out there — it's online. It's all there."

"Now, I can't stop Donald Trump," she added. "I can't stop him from hurling racial insults. I don't have the power to do that."

"Yes you can!" a woman yelled to applause.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 pm
:snippity:
In any case, her Indian ancestor is proven to be real (ten generations back,, roughly the Mayflower era) and Trump's bonespurs are proven to be fake.
No.

Due to the mad rush to ridicule Warren, the press neglected to read and understand the entire DNA report. I have only seen WaPo retract its original coverage and explain what the report concluded.

While the test results could have been caused by some NA relatives centuries ago without further study, due the the location of the NA DNA (& other scientific stuff), the final conclusion indicated one female NA ancestor in the mid 1800's. In other words, her great grandmother. Just like her family has always said.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:31 pm

It's the media, stupid.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Yeah. There's a lot of shit that I don't like about Warren 2020 - including her worker-ownership thing, which she knows damn well would face enormous constitutional hurdles that she's not mentioning - but the "is she likeable enough" bullshit is not-well-concealed misogyny.
How to be likable
...You must try, but not visibly, and not too hard. You must be effortlessly natural but also meticulously and faultlessly prepared. You must be warm, but not too warm — like a cardigan, never a pantsuit. You must be well-informed, of course, but not tiresome. No haranguing! If possible, do not remind people of their mothers, or Hillary Clinton, whichever comes to mind first.

Speaking, in general, may be a mistake, as you will reveal yourself to be either a shambles or lacking in authenticity.

At no costs allow yourself to become angry or, heaven forfend, shrill.

You must not float when placed in water. You must not be too familiar with cats. You should not spend too much time with your books, muttering their words. You may have no more than one (1) wart, and its position must remain fixed. You must not be seen exiting a clearing if the crops or the economy or the election fails.

You should wear what you want unless it is too eye-catching or the wrong color or too small or too large or too exactly fitted. You should be yourself, unless you are someone people might not like.

Really, to be likable is easy! Once you know what being likable is, the rest goes without saying!
I've heard this bull before.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:51 pm

My first memories of Elizabeth Warren go back to when she was a somewhat frequent guest on one of Bill Moyer's programs. I've always held her in high regard for the way she could explain economics to the lay person. She knows her stuff.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:32 pm

New York Times OpEd
Workers on Corporate Boards? Germany’s Had Them for Decades

Elizabeth Warren’s plan to give workers a voice on corporate boards isn’t radical. “Co-determination” has a long history, and America should embrace it.

In the late 1970s, the United Aut­­­­­omobile Workers union had a brazen idea. During negotiations for a new contract, members asked Chrysler to give workers representation on its board, a practice called “co-determination” that had been germinating all over Europe.

The proposal was far outside the bounds of management-labor relations in America at the time, and Chrysler was initially immovable. But the union had helped secure a federal loan for the company, which shielded it from bankruptcy, and management eventually relented. In 1980, Chrysler’s chief executive, Lee Iacocca, nominated the U.A.W. leader Douglas Fraser to the board as a reward.

But the presence of a single labor representative on a 17-member board did not translate into meaningful results for workers. At one point, Mr. Fraser did vote against a plush executive pay package, but he was the only nay. He stepped down in 1984, and Chrysler eliminated the union seat altogether in 1991. Only a handful of other companies tried worker representation, the unions didn’t fight for it, and the American experiment in co-determination was over before it began.

In today’s Gilded Age — when chief executives are making well over 300 times what the typical worker brings home in pay — the idea is getting new life. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, who recently announced her bid for president, introduced a bill last year to give workers the right to vote for two-fifths of all corporate board seats, with a companion bill in the House by Representatives introduced by Ben Ray Luján of New Mexico. A similar bill by Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin would entitle workers to elect one-third of the seats.

These proposals are part of a fundamental rethinking of whom corporations should serve, but they are not new. American companies were once run with the interests of people other than just shareholders — workers, customers, the public — in mind. (In 1965, corporate managers earned only 20 times what the typical worker did.)

tek

Post by tek » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

I really wish Warren would not run.
At this point she is far better for the country as a senator.
She is an awesome technocrat, she understands the details, she gets things done in the trenches. Skills that aren't all that useful as President.
She (IMHO) has zero charisma, and the president needs charisma in spades..

But that's just me.
There's no way back
from there to here

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Other countries do mandate a certain level of co-determination. But other countries also don't have our Constitution.

There's nothing that would prevent a company from voluntarily adopting co-determination, but I think mandating it would attract some form of freedom of association challenge. Given the current Court's somewhat radical views regarding the 1st Amendment rights of corporations, I wouldn't want to bet against something like that succeeding.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:28 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm
She is an awesome technocrat, she understands the details, she gets things done in the trenches. Skills that aren't all that useful as President.

But that's just me.
I totally agree, tek. Plus, she has a tendency to be very strident, which is very off-putting to many people.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I agree completely. Personally I really like Warren. She is a wonk, a bit like me. From what I have seen she is a great Senator. But I don't think she will be a great presidential candidate, even though I think she would do a competent but not stellar job as President.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

But that's just me.
I am an outsider, completely unqualified to comment, but I will.

I think the Democratic elders like Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren (perhaps Bernie Sanders) and anyone else born in the 40's, should attend many primary rallies and talk up the candidates, the party, the need for unity etc. They should not run and they should not endorse anyone before the convention, but should be firmly behind the chosen person after the convention in 2020.

The Clintons should stay out of sight.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Why? Bill Clinton is one of the best campaigners in the world. Al Gore made the stupid mistake of sidelining him on 2000 and lost. Keeping the Clintons off means sending off an aircraft carrier because you might get called names. Fuck what the GOP machine will say, I'd rather have the Clintons working on side getting vote.s

Hell, we had people saying that Pelosi should go away a few months back, and we all know how that's turned out.

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Suranis wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:46 pm
Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 pm
Why? Bill Clinton is one of the best campaigners in the world. Al Gore made the stupid mistake of sidelining him on 2000 and lost. Keeping the Clintons off means sending off an aircraft carrier because you might get called names. Fuck what the GOP machine will say, I'd rather have the Clintons working on side getting vote.s

Hell, we had people saying that Pelosi should go away a few months back, and we all know how that's turned out.
I agree that Bill was the best until Obama, but #meto came along. He can still do amazing work in back rooms.

Return to “Presidential Election”