Joe Kennedy III 2020

Foggy

Joe Kennedy III 2020

Post by Foggy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:45 am

I'm a member of Armed Democrats - Meme Bucket and this is a trending thing.

He's 38. He went to Stanford, then 2 years in the Peace Corps, then Harvard Law. Worked as a prosecutor, then took Barney Frank's seat (MA-04).

More than that, I dunno. But it seems he's in the mix, maybe.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Whatever4

Re: Joe Kennedy III 2020

Post by Whatever4 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Way too young. Needs seasoning. 2036.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:39 pm

(I see the III, and every time, I think it says Joe Kennedy ill)
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm opposed to the establishment of a political over-class, so I will vociferously oppose any member of the Kennedy family running for President, as I will anymore Bushes, Clintons, Obamas, Trumps, etc. The Constitution was not written with the idea that we would have ruling dynasties of different parties taking turns in the White House.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Beto O’Rourke is 46 and a graduate of Columbia. He is not a member of a dynasty family. Some described in as charismatic. How about him?
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:05 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:48 pm
Beto O’Rourke is 46 and a graduate of Columbia. He is not a member of a dynasty family. Some described in as charismatic. How about him?
I don't really care where someone went to school. O'Rourke has a more fundamental political problem: he wouldn't win his home state's (considerable) electoral votes. At least, not in 2020. Yes, he came close in a Senate race - but that was at least in part thanks to his opponent being perhaps the least liked person in American politics. Against Trump in 2020, Beto would not win Texas. Texas will turn blue someday, but not that quickly.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:10 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:05 pm
TollandRCR wrote:
I don't really care where someone went to school. O'Rourke has a more fundamental political problem: he wouldn't win his home state's (considerable) electoral votes.
Neither did President Obama.

Miss Meh

Post by Miss Meh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Somerset wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:10 pm
fierceredpanda wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:
I don't really care where someone went to school. O'Rourke has a more fundamental political problem: he wouldn't win his home state's (considerable) electoral votes.
?? Illinois hasn't gone for a Republican since Papa Bush.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Somerset wrote:
fierceredpanda wrote:
TollandRCR wrote:
Illinois was his home state. He won it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:19 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:40 pm
I'm opposed to the establishment of a political over-class, so I will vociferously oppose any member of the Kennedy family running for President, as I will anymore Bushes, Clintons, Obamas, Trumps, etc. The Constitution was not written with the idea that we would have ruling dynasties of different parties taking turns in the White House.
I agree with this. Except for those Adams and Roosevelts.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:23 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Somerset wrote:
fierceredpanda wrote:

Illinois was his home state. He won it.
Trump didn't win New York. I don't think home state really matters.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:07 pm

If Gore had won Tennessee, he'd have been president.

Hey, I'm not endorsing Joe Kennedy. We have threads for 2020 about:

Joe Biden
Michael Bloomberg
Cory Booker
Sherrod Brown
Jamie Dimon
Tammy Duckworth
Beto O'Rourke
Oprah Winfrey

A number of people are suggesting Joe Kennedy, so I created a thread. Like the others, he hasn't made an announcement one way or the other. It appears that we have threads for many potential candy dates, so I threw up a new one.

And hay, I took a lot of crap for suggesting that septuagenarians are too old to run for president. Where is the outrage for saying a 40 year old man (Kennedy will be 40 in 2020) is too young? :confused:

But I'm not endorsing him. I don't know why we don't have a thread for Elizabeth Warren yet. But she'll be 71 in 2020. I'll let someone else start that one. :mrgreen:

As far as dynasties, if someone happens to be the best qualified person for the job, refusing to consider that person because of their last name seems unfortunate. Is avoiding dynasties the most important consideration for the best interests of this great land of ours? :think:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:07 pm
As far as dynasties, if someone happens to be the best qualified person for the job, refusing to consider that person because of their last name seems unfortunate. Is avoiding dynasties the most important consideration for the best interests of this great land of ours? :think:
Your point is well taken, Foggy. My personal opinion is that one of the greatest dangers to our constitutional framework is the rise of oligarchy and the concentration of wealth and power in the hands of a group of privileged families, however well-intentioned those families might be.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 pm

All other things being equal, I can see that as a minor factor to consider. A tiebreaker, as it were.

However, in reality all other things are never equal. :blink:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:52 pm

I’m surprised more folks aren’t mentioning Tim Kaine for 2020.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:52 pm
I’m surprised more folks aren’t mentioning Tim Kaine for 2020.
I really admire Tim Kaine, but in this current era -- he's too nice of a guy. Sorry to say but our current wackjob in the whitehouse got elected even after the country knew what he was. No, I don't want a trashy candidate like the Republicans embraced, but I do want someone who's not afraid to get in the mud when needed.

Right now, for me, no one is coming to mind that fits the bill. No, of course, no dynasty entitled nominations, like another Kennedy or another Clinton 5.25 or whatever numeric iteration we are at. I want to see a robust and diverse field of candidates in the primary season.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Happy to see you, Neon. :-D

Return to “Presidential Election”